PDA

View Full Version : Serena driven to compete but ankle won't cooperate

icequeen
May 25th, 2005, 12:06 AM
Serena driven to compete but ankle won't cooperate

BY CHARLES BRICKER

South Florida Sun-Sentinel

PARIS - (KRT) - If there is one thing that has become evident about Serena Williams in the last week here, it is that she's not doing a good enough job of taking care of her injuries.

It's been fashionable for a few reporters to speculate that she's not really hurt and that she withdrew from the French Open because she fears losing. That's very weak conjecture.

WTA sources made it clear that she has indeed not fully recovered from the ankle injury she picked up at Amelia Island in early April and, on Monday, Lindsay Davenport spoke at length about Williams' passion for the game.

"We were having dinner one night during Fed Cup week and you could see how swollen her ankle was," said Davenport, gesturing with her hands. "But she really wanted to play."

The day before the tie against Belgium (April 23-24), captain Zina Garrison acknowledged Serena's injury by scratching her from the singles and going with Davenport and Venus Williams.

"Serena didn't take that very well," said Davenport. The incident spoke to Williams' drive to compete. She went home to Palm Beach Gardens to rehabilitate, but tried to come back too early.

At Rome on May 10, she lost her opening match in straight sets to Francesca Schiavone when, once again, she wasn't fully fit.

She then came to Paris with her older sister and they tried practicing here. On the second day, Serena reluctantly concluded she wasn't ready to play.

She'll continue therapy on the ankle, hoping to play at Wimbledon, where she has twice won (2002-03) and finished runner-up in 2004.

Trying to rebound

It hasn't been a great year for Sebastien Grosjean, but he got off to a strong start at the French with a 7-5, 6-3, 6-1 win over Juan Monaco of Argentina. Grosjean, who has a history of injuries, got hurt at the Australian Open but began a return to form at Houston, where he lost in the final to Andy Roddick. He next plays Davide Sanguinetti and, with a win there, probably Radek Stepanek in the third round.

Sanguinetti came from two sets down to win a five-setter for the first time in his 13-year career. He defeated Thierry Ascione of France.

Etc ...

Shenay Perry of Coral Springs, Fla., trying to work back from knee problems, went down in three sets to No. 69 Maria Parra Santonja of Spain. "There's still a little swelling in the patellar area," she said. But she was happy to be back on court. Her ranking has slipped from No. 69 at the end of 2004 to 102. She'll play doubles here with Amy Frazier and then, if her knee responds well, Wimbledon warm-ups at Birmingham and Eastbourne. ...

Davenport has been told the USTA's instant replay system is having problems, which explains why it will be testing even into July at Arthur Ashe Stadium at the U.S. Tennis Center. That will leave about a month to fix the problems and install it at the U.S. Open. ...

Jerome Haehnel, the obscure French player who upset Andre Agassi in the first round here a year ago, went down in straight sets to Luis Horna.

Rocketta
May 25th, 2005, 12:09 AM
"We were having dinner one night during Fed Cup week and you could see how swollen her ankle was," said Davenport, gesturing with her hands. "But she really wanted to play."

stop lying! Serena's ankle is fine she's faking it....that swelling was just padding. :tape:

Cybelle Darkholme
May 25th, 2005, 12:11 AM
Countdown until the haters ( i'm looking at you Julia) appear to offer nothing interesting or relevant or constructive.

Here is a section I like the most:

It's been fashionable for a few reporters to speculate that she's not really hurt and that she withdrew from the French Open because she fears losing. That's very weak conjecture. (He's looking at you Julia and CS).

Funny how in light of evidence those who choose to wallow in arm chair speculation like Julia and that pathetic writer Sue whatever her name is, come out looking foolish. As usual.

tenn_ace
May 25th, 2005, 12:15 AM
wasn't it ys who a few years back (3-4) predicted that Williams sisters bodies wouldn't hold for a long time?... I remember an amount of cursing ys got for that prediction from Williams fans.

Cybelle Darkholme
May 25th, 2005, 12:16 AM
You can make that prediction for almost every athlete. Look at Graf her body went through hell and back.

Look at Mauresmo, she hasn't had a walk through the park. She's been injury prone forever.

Look at the battles Chanda has had and Lindsay has battled her injury demons and so has Jennifer.

That wasn't a prediction as much as reality.

tenn_ace
May 25th, 2005, 12:21 AM
true, but all of them started getting these injuries later in their careers and not one after another. Both Aneres and Venus have already gotten all possible injuries before they turned 25.

Rocketta
May 25th, 2005, 12:21 AM
wasn't it ys who a few years back (3-4) predicted that Williams sisters bodies wouldn't hold for a long time?... I remember an amount of cursing ys got for that prediction from Williams fans.

That's like predicting a tennis player will one day twist his ankle....DUH!

For the record Venus' body is holding up fine this year. As for Serena, 6 slams with a body that ain't holding up .... the rest of the girls must really suck. :tape:

auntie janie
May 25th, 2005, 12:22 AM

That's funny, I recall ys intoning the exact same thing about Daniela, how she would be prone to constant injuries. It must be one of his favorite themes. :D

Rocketta
May 25th, 2005, 12:22 AM
true, but all of them started getting these injuries later in their careers and not one after another. Both Aneres and Venus have already gotten all possible injuries before they turned 25.

Mauresmo and Chanda have been injured throughout their entire careers... The first half of Lindsay career she really didn't do much running now did she. :hehehe:

GoDominique
May 25th, 2005, 12:23 AM
Bricker :rolleyes:

tenn_ace
May 25th, 2005, 12:25 AM

thank you for bringing it up, because most injures they get are not accident related (like twisting an ankle).

sartrista7
Shenay Perry of Coral Springs, Fla., trying to work back from knee problems, went down in three sets to No. 69 Maria Parra Santonja of Spain.

Charles Bricker is such a terrible journalist. His writing is workmanlike at best, and then he throws in retarded errors like this. Dude, it only takes one click of the mouse to the WTA ranking list to find out that Parra Santonja's first name is Arantxa! And any professional tennis journalist should know that anyway, given that she's been top 100 for over two years.

Carry on with the boring bitching about the injuries, just had to vent.

Cybelle Darkholme

Uh, maybe you are fogetting about players like mauresmo, chanda, and Martina hingis...

Those are just three players who dealt with serious injuries that broke down their bodies before the age of 25.

tenn_ace
May 25th, 2005, 12:26 AM
That's funny, I recall ys intoning the exact same thing about Daniela, how she would be prone to constant injuries. It must be one of his favorite themes. :D

maybe he's a practicing physician? :angel:

Cybelle Darkholme
May 25th, 2005, 12:28 AM
Charles Bricker is such a terrible journalist. His writing is workmanlike at best, and then he throws in retarded errors like this. Dude, it only takes one click of the mouse to the WTA ranking list to find out that Parra Santonja's first name is Arantxa! And any professional tennis journalist should know that anyway, given that she's been top 100 for over two years.

Carry on with the boring bitching about the injuries, just had to vent.

Yes it has mistakes but at least its not filled with unfounded wild conspiracy theories that have no merit.

fammmmedspin
May 25th, 2005, 12:28 AM

I think its a matter of physics. Fairly large bodies moving very fast and hitting with great power must really stress joints and everything intended to hold them together. Its no coincidence that the big servers and the smaller players now trying to serve faster are going down with bad shoulders and knees. You can't do it very often and if you don't do it often it must come as a shock to the body and if you get one injury and play something else has to move differently to compensate. Vicious circle.

How long does a sprained (or is it strained?) ankle take? I had one once ages ago and I seem to remember the promised couple of weeks turned into 6 before it was better?

Knizzle
May 25th, 2005, 12:30 AM

He's the same one who said Kim and Justine could stay injury free but they ended up being out just as long.

Rocketta
May 25th, 2005, 12:31 AM
thank you for bringing it up, because most injures they get are not accident related (like twisting an ankle).

of which Serena is currently suffering from so how is her body breaking down? :scratch:

sartrista7
May 25th, 2005, 12:32 AM
He's the same one who said Kim and Justine could stay injury free but they ended up being out just as long.

Actually, I definitely remember ys predicting long-term injuries for both Belgians at the end of 2003. I remember this because I also predicted them, and agreed with him. It was fairly obvious, no? Insane schedule combined with punishing style of play for Kim, refusal to stop pushing herself to the limits for Justine.

Denise4925
May 25th, 2005, 12:45 AM
Countdown until the haters ( i'm looking at you Julia) appear to offer nothing interesting or relevant or constructive.

Here is a section I like the most:

It's been fashionable for a few reporters to speculate that she's not really hurt and that she withdrew from the French Open because she fears losing. That's very weak conjecture. (He's looking at you Julia and CS).

Funny how in light of evidence those who choose to wallow in arm chair speculation like Julia and that pathetic writer Sue whatever her name is, come out looking foolish. As usual.
May fav too. :yeah: Sure puts a whole lotta folks in their place. :tape:

Denise4925
May 25th, 2005, 12:48 AM
Yes it has mistakes but at least its not filled with unfounded wild conspiracy theories that have no merit.
:tape:

icequeen
May 25th, 2005, 12:53 AM

For the record Venus' body is holding up fine this year. As for Serena, 6 slams with a body that ain't holding up .... the rest of the girls must really suck. :tape:

Seven 7777777777777777777777777777777777777777777

vettipooh
May 25th, 2005, 01:03 AM
stop lying! Serena's ankle is fine she's faking it....that swelling was just padding. :tape::lol: :lol: :devil:

Knizzle
May 25th, 2005, 01:24 AM
Actually, I definitely remember ys predicting long-term injuries for both Belgians at the end of 2003. I remember this because I also predicted them, and agreed with him. It was fairly obvious, no? Insane schedule combined with punishing style of play for Kim, refusal to stop pushing herself to the limits for Justine.

He must have flip flopped then.

Rocketta
May 25th, 2005, 01:28 AM
Seven 7777777777777777777777777777777777777777777

no but she has 6 during the time frame that he is speaking of...;)