PDA

View Full Version : Why are people sympathizing so much for Myskina?

Geisha
May 24th, 2005, 08:41 PM
I don't understand why so many people, including commentators, are going on and on about Myskina and her personal problems. I mean, I have no idea how Myskina feels, and I know she must be going through a really rocky time in her life, but Venus and Serena's sister was murdered and they both had injuries. When they came back on tour, everyone was like, "Enough with the excuses. They have had a long time to get over the death of their sister." I'm just shocked. Anastasia shouldn't play tennis if her mother is seriously ill. Why isn't she with her in Moscow, or wherever she is? Why isn't she supporting her? Why did so many people go against Venus and Serena when they blamed some of their losses for the many things that have transpired over the past year.

vertigo
May 24th, 2005, 08:47 PM
Because they have a heart, unlike you?....

Rocketta
May 24th, 2005, 08:47 PM
ok do you really want answers or was this a way to vent frustrastion? I feel your pain. I will say although people (the media) barely mentioned Yuntunde's murder as a reason that V or S were out of sorts it's not Myskina's fault. It's not Myskina's fault that the american media namely the female tennis players turned commentators are hateful biotches. :D

sartrista7
May 24th, 2005, 08:50 PM
People are sympathising with Nastya because her mother has cancer. This is not hard to understand :rolleyes:

Most people sympathised with Venus and Serena, too. A minority didn't, which was unpleasant, but there was no "everyone" about it.

Anastasia shouldn't play tennis if her mother is seriously ill. Why isn't she with her in Moscow, or wherever she is? Why isn't she supporting her?

She wasn't going to play RG, but her mother wanted her to.

Sanneriet
May 24th, 2005, 08:51 PM
I read somewhere a couple of days ago that Myskina did not really want to play, but her mother asked her to go to France and try to defend her title. I think Myskina was really trying to respect her mothers wishes when all of her heart said she should not be at RG. Lots of people also have had family members who have battled cancer, so it is something that hits to home for many.I think it is impossible for the majority of the world to have any comprehension how devastating having a loved one murdered is and that leads to some of the idiotic comments made towards the WS.

deja_entendu
May 24th, 2005, 08:54 PM
How many sisters and half sisters do V&S have in total? j/w

Kart
May 24th, 2005, 08:54 PM
I don't think people were that unsympathetic to Venus and Serena at the time but I agree it's been easily forgotten whilst people forever mention Monica Seles' father's death prior to her French open final appearance in 1998.

When the news broke of their sister's death the messages of sympathy were pretty much universal from what I remember.

It might be worth asking this question a year or so down the line if Myskina still struggles and people aren't talking about her mother.

For the time being, people are sympathising because it's a sad story !

frenchie
May 24th, 2005, 08:55 PM
Why did you post this topic?
Are you happy with Myskina's personal problems?
When Yetunde was killed, V&S were not playing on tour and when they came back everybody (I think and I hope) recognized it was sad and affected a lot her game. What happened to the williams is even worse than what's happening to Myskina but even if you don't appreciate Nastya's for her game or whatever, you have to feel sorry for her.
In fact her Mother ordered her to play the French, so I think she is very couragous to face such a difficult situation

faboozadoo15
May 24th, 2005, 08:55 PM
i don't really know what you're talking about. i recall pam shriver talking about the unfortunate events in the williams family over the last few years several times while commentating the sisters' matches. also, it was one of te top stories in tennis on the espn website, constantly being updated about the case, new witnesses, and all that every once in a while.

myskina went into the french open as the defending champion andin a huge slump. she just told them about her mother's illness, and it IS a story. she hasn't been the same myskina for a while now. her french open match was just bizarre. that's why i think people are talking about it.

another thing-- who are you to judge what myskina is doing? what could she do for her mother's health care besides pay for it? she's caught in a very bad situation bc i imagine her mother gets a great bit of joy out of seeing her daughter play good tennis and do well, yet for this to happen, anastacia has to be away from her. it's the same situation that troubled monica while her father was very ill with cancer.

martirogi
May 24th, 2005, 08:58 PM
also venus and serena weren't playing at the time of her death. if they the announcers would mention it. months later when they rejoined the tour the injuries were the focus, maybe wrongly so. if she weren't playing no one would be mentioning it and it'd be the same situation.

hingis-seles
May 24th, 2005, 09:01 PM
It's something like the situation with Monica Seles, when her father was ill with cancer.

I can not even imagine what a trying time it must be for Nastya and her family. I felt so sad watching her match against MSL. The look in her eyes was filled with sadness and you could tell her mind was on the situation at home. You would have to have a heart of stone to not feel for her.

JenFan75
May 24th, 2005, 09:04 PM
There's a big difference between someone in the family dying and having to watch someone suffer and die slowly.

Knizzle
May 24th, 2005, 09:06 PM
Anniflava I do understand where you are coming from, but this thread is in poor taste really. I myself realized the irony, but it didn't make me feel any less sorry for Myskina and her situation. You just have to realize that things like this are going to happen and why they are happening (which I'm sure you know) and do your part to battle it without bringing another player down in the process.

Dawn Marie
May 24th, 2005, 09:07 PM
People sympathise with Myskina and her mother because Myskina is the norm in tennis. Tennis is still a lily white sport.

V@S are not the norm. Especially that thier skintone is not of the light version. Which plays a part in itself. Anyway, V@S are not going to be held to the same standard of their counterparts like Myskina because people are afraid and are ignorant. Now some people did sympathise with V@S and their sister's murder.. BUT many also had overtones regarding V@S not competing and these same people have no overtones regaring Myskina and are up her ass. This by no means is something that Anastasia shoudl be held accountable for. So I am glad that she is getting 100% sympathy and no overtones that her game is in decline. So she can focus on her personal life.

I just hope that the tennis society would treat the next african american top players more like their counterparts. Hopefully when the old fogeys die out and the new younger generation comes in and commentates things will be alot different.:)

I am still asking a different question. Why are people (Mary Carillo) and (Pamfro) (MaryJo)(tennis fans who post in here). not complainging about Roger Federer's dominance but had all bad things to say about V@S dominating??

hingis-seles
May 24th, 2005, 09:07 PM
I don't think people were that unsympathetic to Venus and Serena at the time but I agree it's been easily forgotten whilst people forever mention Monica Seles' father's death prior to her French open final appearance in 1998.

When the news broke of their sister's death the messages of sympathy were pretty much universal from what I remember.

It might be worth asking this question a year or so down the line if Myskina still struggles and people aren't talking about her mother.

For the time being, people are sympathising because it's a sad story !

Re: Monica Seles' RG 1998 run

I agree that there was a lot of talk about her run to the final after her father passed away. However, when he had cancer and was ill (1997-Pre RG 1998), Monica was criticised in the press for her lack of fitness and poor results, and was not given the outpouring of sympathy Pete Sampras was when his coach was dying.

In such situations, I can't imagine how someone can not feel for the player confronted with such a situation. For any human being to have to go through something so painful is sad to watch.

Knizzle
May 24th, 2005, 09:10 PM
There's a big difference between someone in the family dying and having to watch someone suffer and die slowly.

Oh, shut the FUCK up!!!

(sorry admins, but I had to say it)

Spunky83
May 24th, 2005, 09:10 PM
To "complete" the list, youīd also have to name Pete Samprasī match vs. Courier AusOpen 1995 (SF?)...that was one of the most tragical matches Iīve ever seen, not that the tennis was that bad but it was just too sad.

I just donīt want to see Nastya in this condition, but well...life is just tragical sometimes.

-------

I wonīt participate in this "why does everyone feel pity for Nastya and didnīt feel pity for the sisters?"-discussion. Itīs a bit...well...inappropriated.

Knizzle
May 24th, 2005, 09:11 PM

Oh, shut the FUCK up!!! PLEASE!!

(sorry admins, I had to say it)

Dawn Marie
May 24th, 2005, 09:11 PM
JENfan75 what are you saying? that Myskina's situation is alot worse because her mom is dying from cancer? People handle family crisis in different ways. One dying from cancer to one being taken away from you without saying goodbye is still a tragedy.

Personally,I think you get closure when you are being with a loved one who is slowly dying. You want them to die so they will be pain free. Where as if you get a phone call saying your sister has been shot to death, that to me is more shocking.

We all handle these situations differently though.

Spunky83
May 24th, 2005, 09:12 PM
OH NO!!! Please donīt make a white/black discussion out of it again!!!

alfonsojose
May 24th, 2005, 09:13 PM
I don't understand why so many people, including commentators, are going on and on about Myskina and her personal problems.
Do we should have a party ? " .. Myskina's Mom, die, die, :dance: :bounce: .. "

:retard:

GoDominique
May 24th, 2005, 09:13 PM
Usual Williams fans paranoia in this thread. Why am I not surprised.

deja_entendu
May 24th, 2005, 09:15 PM
Dawn only sees in black and white, of course!

GoDominique
May 24th, 2005, 09:16 PM
My vote for most painful experience in regard to family members goes to cancer, but mainly because I haven't tried the other thing yet. :)

Dawn Marie
May 24th, 2005, 09:17 PM
It is easy to cover up the truth and say "paranoia" and "Black and white" issues.

You know the truth. Alot of people in tennis are ignorant and you don't have a real truthful answer to the question because it makes you see your TRUE self.

GoDominique
May 24th, 2005, 09:17 PM
Dawn: zzz. :)

Dawn Marie
May 24th, 2005, 09:21 PM
posted by Godominque

"My vote for most painful experience goes to cancer, but mainly because I haven't tried the other thing yet." :)

You're sick. This sentence was pathetic and sickening. If you haven't tried the other thing yet, then how do you know cancer is the more painful? how do you try a sister's murder?? Why the smiley face?

Girl you are sick in the head.

Oneofakind0490
May 24th, 2005, 09:22 PM
Why? The reason why is Serena and Venus did not play when it happened. If they played we might have seen a slump and the commenters would have felt sorrow for them. Myskina is slumping and you can clearing see that this is affecting her play so of cource the sommenters are going to sympathize with her.

Spunky83
May 24th, 2005, 09:26 PM
Seriously, letīs make a poll out of it...my God!

lizchris
May 24th, 2005, 09:28 PM

This, by far has to be the most hateful, ignorant and spiteful things said about Venus and Serena.

I echo Knizzle's sentiments:

SHUT THE FUCK UP.

(Oh, and admins, I am NOT apologiznig for using the F word).

GoDominique
May 24th, 2005, 09:28 PM
posted by Godominque

"My vote for most painful experience goes to cancer, but mainly because I haven't tried the other thing yet." :)

You're sick. This sentence was pathetic and sickening. If you haven't tried the other thing yet, then how do you know cancer is the more painful? how do you try a sister's murder?? Why the smiley face?

Girl you are sick in the head.
Are you referring to me? Just asking because I'm not a girl. You should have realised that by now, dear. :)

And may I ask how YOU can know about what is more shocking/painful without experiencing it? You are just making stupid assumptions and that's nonsense.

lizchris
May 24th, 2005, 09:29 PM
People sympathise with Myskina and her mother because Myskina is the norm in tennis. Tennis is still a lily white sport.

V@S are not the norm. Especially that thier skintone is not of the light version. Which plays a part in itself. Anyway, V@S are not going to be held to the same standard of their counterparts like Myskina because people are afraid and are ignorant. Now some people did sympathise with V@S and their sister's murder.. BUT many also had overtones regarding V@S not competing and these same people have no overtones regaring Myskina and are up her ass. This by no means is something that Anastasia shoudl be held accountable for. So I am glad that she is getting 100% sympathy and no overtones that her game is in decline. So she can focus on her personal life.

I just hope that the tennis society would treat the next african american top players more like their counterparts. Hopefully when the old fogeys die out and the new younger generation comes in and commentates things will be alot different.:)

I am still asking a different question. Why are people (Mary Carillo) and (Pamfro) (MaryJo)(tennis fans who post in here). not complainging about Roger Federer's dominance but had all bad things to say about V@S dominating??

Thank you for having the courage to tell the truth.

harloo
May 24th, 2005, 09:29 PM
I don't understand why so many people, including commentators, are going on and on about Myskina and her personal problems. I mean, I have no idea how Myskina feels, and I know she must be going through a really rocky time in her life, but Venus and Serena's sister was murdered and they both had injuries. When they came back on tour, everyone was like, "Enough with the excuses. They have had a long time to get over the death of their sister." I'm just shocked. Anastasia shouldn't play tennis if her mother is seriously ill. Why isn't she with her in Moscow, or wherever she is? Why isn't she supporting her? Why did so many people go against Venus and Serena when they blamed some of their losses for the many things that have transpired over the past year.

Even though I did not like the way the sister's were treated after going through such an ordeal, that does not mean I am not sympathetic to the situation with Myskina's mother. It is very sad, and yes it has affected her game just like it hurt the sisters game.

Myskina is not the blame. You should not let the nastiness influence your decisions. She is a human being who is going through a tough time now, so try to give her a break alright?:D ;) ;)

Zippy
May 24th, 2005, 09:30 PM
I was viewing the ESPN Tennis Message Board earlier and I came across a similar thread. This was not one my post. It was actually the intial post created by the thread starter there, but It fits this thread perfectly. So I just wanted to post it here to share her view with you all.

Venus's sister died, Myskina's mother is sick
by venussimo

When the williams lost returning from carreer threatening injury lay offs and dealing with the death of their sister Yetunde everyone said they don't have an excuse they were just outplayed and are no longer on top of their game. Myskina's mother is sick and suddenly she has a good excuse for loosing in the opening round of a Grand Slam she is supposes to be defending. At leat the Williams persevered and didn't get bashed out in the first rounds consecutively.

What really p isses me off is the racist double standards that people in this forum have. If Venus was the defending champion and her mother was sick and she was coming from injury and lost in the 1st round all hell would have broken loose. Everyone would have called for her retirement and called her a washed up player who fluked her 4 Slams. Venus is only 1 year older than Myskina. Since Myskina has been loosing so much why doesn't she just pack it in while her Grand Slam win is still fresh in our minds ( or is it) rather than retire as a 3rd rate player. How do her fans feel now that she got bounced so early and will definately rank behind Venus after the FO is over? Myskina will be at best # 13. This is just the end of her she must just retire.

Everyone is talking about wishing Anastacia peace. The girl started flopping after she won the French because she got too arrogant saying she wouldn't play for Russia if Sharapova did. She just got hit by a brick and fell right back to earth. i hope this experience will humble her and remove the nails from her paws.

DA FOREHAND
May 24th, 2005, 09:31 PM

Good post thanks...

We all know a double standard exist, the question is when will we stop pointing it out when we all know it exist? I say never stop pointing it out.

Alenyaa
Mate, please, are you telling her how she should live her life? Don't be so frigging cocky and let her decide how to cope with the ordeals in her life!

Denise4925
Because two wrongs don't make a right. Just because the media is heartless when it comes to the Williams' sisters and their plight, doesn't mean we have to be as heartless as them. Ana has done nothing to me, nor has she disrespected my fav or herself. I wish her the best and whatever she decides to do is her decision because I nor anyone else is in her shoes. All I can do is say a prayer for her and her family, wish her the best and leave the rest to her and God.

The Crow
May 24th, 2005, 09:32 PM
What is this? A 'my fav has suffered more than your fav' discussion? *shakes head*