PDA

View Full Version : Gisela Dulko kicks the ass off Sania Mirza 6-3 6-3

deja_entendu
May 24th, 2005, 07:28 PM
Way to go Gise! :worship: Mirza is probably the most overhyped young girl out there anyway, so way to beat her face in. :yeah: Although you probably just destroyed the hopes of an entire nation of overly ambitious tennis fans :devil:

Mirza (IND) Dulko (ARG)

1st Serve % 28 of 56 = 50 % 40 of 74 = 54 %

Aces 1 1

Double Faults 5 8

Unforced Errors 32 31

Winning % on 1st Serve 12 of 28 = 43 % 24 of 40 = 60 %

Winning % on 2nd Serve 10 of 33 = 30 % 14 of 42 = 33 %

Winners (Including Service) 12 19

Receiving Points Won 36 of 74 = 49 % 34 of 56 = 61 %

Break Point Conversions 4 of 15 = 27 % 7 of 9 = 78 %

Net Approaches 2 of 6 = 33 % 7 of 7 = 100 %

Total Points Won 58 72

The double faults are ugly... but other than that, not bad... in fact if you get rid of those double faults, the winner/UE ratio looks quite respectable. Good luck in your next match Gisela! Hopefully both you and Kuznetsova will make it to the 3rd round, where you can beat her on clay again! :wavey:

JenFan75
May 24th, 2005, 07:31 PM
:sad:

I was hoping Sania would do well here.

Infiniti2001
May 24th, 2005, 07:31 PM
You call this an ass kicking? :rolleyes:

deja_entendu
May 24th, 2005, 07:37 PM
It wasn't close at all. Gisela's serve is twice as good.

selyoink
May 24th, 2005, 08:34 PM
I think it is a little unfair to call Mirza overhyped. She has done very well so far this year. Maybe clay is not her best surface. She did win a tournament this year as well as beat Kuznetsova. So she obviously has game.

A very good win for Dulko. See if she can make a deep run through the draw or not.

tennisrox
May 24th, 2005, 08:34 PM
Congrats Gisela!Well played girl!
I agree Mirza is a bit overhyped, but thats not really her fault.She didn't ask for it!
You're being a bit harsh.The match was closer than the scoreline suggests, but gisela converted her BP's better than Mirza, and was definitely the better player.And gisela's serving was actually pathetic!But the rest of her game was good.She moved really well,varied her pace well,and was clearly the better player on clay.I always expected Gisela to win this.Sania wasn't all that bad, but she was clearly rusty from her long injury layoff.She was not near her best,and clay is clearly not her surface.She wasn't sliding at all!Understandable given all the problems she's had with her ankles this season.Even if she hadn't been rusty,i still think Gisela would've won as she has a better claycourt game, although it could've been closer.But i don't expect Gisela to win against Sania on faster surfaces.The girl can really rip the cover off the ball, and she will be a real handful on other surfaces.Still has much to learn though.Her inexperience is showing.
I do think that Gisela has a good chance against Kuzzy in the 3r.If she can serve a little better, and move this well, she'll give her some real probs.

TatiAnnahølic
May 24th, 2005, 08:38 PM
congrats Gise! ;) :D

Ellery
May 24th, 2005, 08:50 PM
Sania :crying2: :crying2: :crying2:

Wannabeknowitall
May 24th, 2005, 09:04 PM
Good win by Gisela. Sania is a good player but she just didn't have a good draw. She's not the best mover and of course that weakness was used against Dulko. I think it was important of Sania to play a match on clay this year just to know how it feels to be playing at a stage like Roland Garros. Gisela will be a test for Kuznetsova.

BUBI
May 24th, 2005, 09:08 PM
Poor Sania :sad: I hope she stays healthy now.

VeeReeDavJCap81
May 24th, 2005, 09:54 PM
She's a good player. She definitely gave Serena a run for her money at the AO. She needs to improve her movement and her backhand though. Her serve needs some work also.

RenaSlam.
May 24th, 2005, 10:01 PM
Vamos Gisela...take The Title.

Zoltan83
May 24th, 2005, 10:34 PM
Congrats Gisela :bounce:

SelesFan70
May 24th, 2005, 10:37 PM
Yay, Gisela! That's the way to quiet an entire country. :lol:

alexusjonesfan
May 24th, 2005, 10:40 PM
bad draw for Sania :( Still, so far she's beaten as many top 10 players and won as many tournaments as Venus. Yeah, she's probably not top 10 material, but she's pretty good :p

*Jool*
May 24th, 2005, 10:46 PM
Congrats Gisela!Well played girl!
I agree Mirza is a bit overhyped, but thats not really her fault.She didn't ask for it!
You're being a bit harsh.The match was closer than the scoreline suggests, but gisela converted her BP's better than Mirza, and was definitely the better player.And gisela's serving was actually pathetic!But the rest of her game was good.She moved really well,varied her pace well,and was clearly the better player on clay.I always expected Gisela to win this.Sania wasn't all that bad, but she was clearly rusty from her long injury layoff.She was not near her best,and clay is clearly not her surface.She wasn't sliding at all!Understandable given all the problems she's had with her ankles this season.Even if she hadn't been rusty,i still think Gisela would've won as she has a better claycourt game, although it could've been closer.But i don't expect Gisela to win against Sania on faster surfaces.The girl can really rip the cover off the ball, and she will be a real handful on other surfaces.Still has much to learn though.Her inexperience is showing.
I do think that Gisela has a good chance against Kuzzy in the 3r.If she can serve a little better, and move this well, she'll give her some real probs.

:worship: excellent analysis , I was there and think exactly the same , Gise was clearly the best player today . It was an agreeable match except the serves...

thelittlestelf
May 24th, 2005, 10:49 PM
Poor assless Sania :sad:

:shrug:

Albireo
May 25th, 2005, 12:01 AM
Considering that Mirza has hardly played at all the last two months, and has little experience on clay, I wouldn't call the scoreline an "ass-kicking." Sounds instead like petulant gloating from the thread starter.

Gowza
May 25th, 2005, 01:08 AM
sania was injured

genius
May 25th, 2005, 02:30 AM
A few obnoxious jealous souls here. what problem do they have with a young player coming up from new places?

At the beginning of the year ,sania was ranked 204! yes 204 and playing at the challengers.At australian open she was 197

Now she shud be expected to beat more experienced opponents on the tour regularly (least of all on an illsuited surface) with an unevolved game,is it? Inexperienced players need time to evolve their game and certainly more time for less favourite surfaces.Till then you only get glimpses of potential. And add to that her recent lay off and nonexpertise on clay.

Mana
May 25th, 2005, 02:34 AM

:haha:

Andy.
May 25th, 2005, 02:43 AM
I saw the match and it was very compeditive. Sania was really in control in a lot of the rallies but Dulko's clay court experience and more variety in her groundstrokes got her thru. Gisela did well also when he was more aggresive instead if just reacting to sania's blasts.

tennisrox
May 25th, 2005, 02:56 AM

Hey shut up !I'd like to see you come off a 2 month break after the kind of ankle problems the girl has had and win a claycourt match against an expert! Sania doesn't even have a full-time coach yet from what i've heard!She had a really tough match first up.Give the girl a break.She was clearly apprehensive about sliding around on her ankles so soon, and i have definitely seen her move much better than yesterday.She has to play under the kind of pressure that few youngsters have ever had to play under too!Don't forget she was playing challengers in January, and now she's suddenly in the big-league, and it takes time to make that adjustment.Also with all these injuries she has had no chance to find any sort of rythm.There's no doubt the girl is really good, and she is definitely capable of kicking some serious ass on the faster surfaces(i really don't think Gise stands a chance against her there).She is good and she will get much better.She just needs time.
I have to say though, her serve looked a lot better yesterday.It has improved a lot technically.And i think her BH is pretty good too.It just gets over-shadowed by that monster FH! :eek:
Hey Jool (or whatever your name is) :wavey: Guess i missed you in the crowd!

pcrtennis
May 25th, 2005, 03:03 AM
Mirza was injured for a long time and doesn't like clay....she beat Kuznestova easily and took out a few other quality opponents and took it to Serena...she's not overhyped...

JenFan75
May 25th, 2005, 05:59 AM
Hey shut up !I'd like to see you come off a 2 month break after the kind of ankle problems the girl has had and win a claycourt match against an expert! Sania doesn't even have a full-time coach yet from what i've heard!She had a really tough match first up.Give the girl a break.She was clearly apprehensive about sliding around on her ankles so soon, and i have definitely seen her move much better than yesterday.She has to play under the kind of pressure that few youngsters have ever had to play under too!Don't forget she was playing challengers in January, and now she's suddenly in the big-league, and it takes time to make that adjustment.Also with all these injuries she has had no chance to find any sort of rythm.There's no doubt the girl is really good, and she is definitely capable of kicking some serious ass on the faster surfaces(i really don't think Gise stands a chance against her there).She is good and she will get much better.She just needs time.
I have to say though, her serve looked a lot better yesterday.It has improved a lot technically.And i think her BH is pretty good too.It just gets over-shadowed by that monster FH! :eek:
Hey Jool (or whatever your name is) :wavey: Guess i missed you in the crowd!

He didn't say anything offensive...

skanky~skanketta
May 25th, 2005, 06:06 AM
um, this is mirza, coming back from an akle injury, and not at all accomplished on clay.

so deja, dont be a loser, hey?

deja_entendu
May 25th, 2005, 06:11 AM
Oh, right, so Mirza goes from being only the second tennis player along with Graf to have some sort of clothing sponsorship nuance (hell if I can remember exactly what it is), and she is the second coming in her home country, and she's supposedly future top 10, and she was supposed to beat Gisela (at least according to the MTF threads), but when she loses badly, she's not accomplished, she's injured, etc.

Whatever. Hopefully Gise won't play so bad next time, and will kick her ass even more. :devil:

tennisrox
May 25th, 2005, 08:40 AM
[Oh, right, so Mirza goes from being only the second tennis player along with Graf to have some sort of clothing sponsorship nuance (hell if I can remember exactly what it is), and she is the second coming in her home country, and she's supposedly future top 10, and she was supposed to beat Gisela (at least according to the MTF threads), but when she loses badly, she's not accomplished, she's injured, etc.

Whatever. Hopefully Gise won't play so bad next time, and will kick her ass even more. :devil:

Yeah, she is only the second female player after Steffi to get a signature line of her own.Is that really her fault?Why are you so bothered about her sponsorships anyway?Sounds like a little jealousy to me. :rolleyes: The reason she's getting all that is b/c she is a means to tap into a huge market of 1 billion buyers back in India, and a way to promote the game.And if you've seen her interviews the girl is a real smart talker,and extremely marketable,so its no surprise at all.I certainly didn't expect her to beat Gise on clay, esp not after a comeback, so just chill.But theres no doubt that she has a lot of potential.She has fantastic groundies, and a top class ROS,and her FH alone can win her matches.But much as i like Gise,I very much doubt that Gise will be able to 'kick her ass' as you put it on any other surface.I could see her struggling with Mirza's power even on the slow surface(fab defence BTW gise :yeah:).Mirza has some serious weapons up her sleeve, and she's no pushover.I don't know about top 10 yet, coz i always think its stupid to build players up to the sky as soon as they burst on the scene.Ppl should take things one step at a time.She's half the player she can be right now, and the more she plays at this level the better she will get.She's only played top level for a few months for god's sake(and most of that with injuries!)!Rome wasn't built in a day you know!She could defnitely do without the hype at this stage though.Not good for a teen.
And Mirza didn't lose badly.I saw the match, and she did make Gise fight hard.But gise was always the better player on clay, and the difference in experience is always a factor on clay.Thats why a lot of the young phenoms that ppl have been talking about lost in the first round!