PDA

View Full Version : Predictions: 4 Phenoms vs. Top 4 Seeds in R2

pierce0415
May 24th, 2005, 06:47 PM
In the next 2 days, the top four seeds in Roland Garros will confront 4 youngsters that will be future stars of the WTA tour.

1) Lindsay Davenport vs. Peng Shuai (19 years old) - My prediction - Peng defeats Lindsay in 3 sets. Peng needs to keep her UE down and not be frightened by the situation. But with her game and Lindsay's awkward movement on clay, I feel that she can win the match.

2) Maria Sharapova vs. WC Aravene Rezai (18 years old) - Maria wins in 2 sets

3) Amelie Mauresmo vs. WC Alize Cornet (15 years old) - Amelie wins 6-0, 6-2

4) Elena Dementieva vs. Sandra Mamic (20 years old) - Dementieva squeaks by in 3 sets

Knizzle
May 24th, 2005, 06:52 PM
Peng won't win, her serve is horrible LD should clock the first and second serve. She could get a set if LD is off, but I don't even think that's likely. All four will probably go through easily.

No Name Face
May 24th, 2005, 06:53 PM
1. I think Lindsay is going to lose too. Peng's been showing impeccable form.
2. Maria wins
3. Amelie wins
4. If Mamic comes out strong and Lena can't serve, Lena wins with a come-from-behind victory, if not, Lena in two sets (6-4, 6-4)

jfk
May 24th, 2005, 06:58 PM
I don't think Mamic or Rezai will be "future stars." I've never seen Cornet play, but Mauresmo looked great today, so there is very little chance of Cornet winning more than a few games.

Lindsay could lose...it just depends on her mood during the match and the amount of patience she has. If Lindsay loses early, I suspect it would be versus a more dominant clay courter than Peng...someone like Razzano maybe in the third round.

Wannabeknowitall
May 24th, 2005, 07:00 PM
In the next 2 days, the top four seeds in Roland Garros will confront 4 youngsters that will be future stars of the WTA tour.

1) Lindsay Davenport vs. Peng Shuai (19 years old) - My prediction - Peng defeats Lindsay in 3 sets. Peng needs to keep her UE down and not be frightened by the situation. But with her game and Lindsay's awkward movement on clay, I feel that she can win the match.

2) Maria Sharapova vs. WC Aravene Rezai (18 years old) - Maria wins in 2 sets

3) Amelie Mauresmo vs. WC Alize Cornet (15 years old) - Amelie wins 6-0, 6-2

4) Elena Dementieva vs. Sandra Mamic (20 years old) - Dementieva squeaks by in 3 sets

As usual. People underestimate how Lindsay plays on clay and in general. She's playing at probably 2 pm in warm conditions on clay that has been relatively dry for a while. Sharapova crushed Peng in two sets at Berlin. Anything that reminds Lindsay that she maybe is playing on a very dirty hard court gives her an edge mentally. Peng just doesn't have the angles to create issue for Lindsay on clay.

Ty-Ty
May 24th, 2005, 07:19 PM
I doubt that Peng will beat Lindsay. Wouldn't be suprised with a moderatley close set and even maybe, if Lindsay is having an off day and Peng is feeling it, a set for Peng.

Peng's serve is ... blagh ... She could knock a hot air balloon out of the sky with her toss. Lindsay has a big return game and will be all over her serve. Also, Peng's doubled handed groundstrokes will limit her reach. I wouldn't be suprised if this entire match was compiled out groundstrokes. Lindsay will also have to serve well as Peng has a good return game as well ...

Should be interesting nevertheless.

sartrista7
May 24th, 2005, 07:22 PM
I don't see any upsets occurring, though Davenport's probably the most vulnerable given that she apparently cares even less about RG this year than she normally does. Her attitude really is disgraceful sometimes.

NicoMary
May 24th, 2005, 07:24 PM
Rezai has a strong and strange personnality!!!! Against Maria it should be a really fun match to watch:rolleyes: :worship: :eek: :bounce:

croat123
May 24th, 2005, 07:24 PM
if sanda has a good serving day she can beat elena, but she'll have to serve her best and hope that lena doesn't have a good serving day like she did in moscow (where lena got like 80% of her first serves in and hit 0 dfs)

*Jool*
May 24th, 2005, 11:13 PM
The 4 top players will all win in straight sets, and 3 of them very easily

faboozadoo15
May 24th, 2005, 11:30 PM
i'm really ,looking forward to lindsay v peng. if lindsay steps it up and wins easily, it would change what a lot of people think about her being out there.
the others look like rather easy wins, if you ask me.

auntie janie
May 24th, 2005, 11:31 PM
Rezai has a strong and strange personnality!!!! Against Maria it should be a really fun match to watch:rolleyes: :worship: :eek: :bounce:

Isn't she the one with the strange father? :eek:

Shonami Slam
May 24th, 2005, 11:50 PM
sheesh!!!
People treat lindz as though she's some handicaped-slug - the girl CAN run you know...
shuai might have had a better chance against the faster players actually, because lindsay is going to run her around like crazy.

Chunchun
May 25th, 2005, 12:00 AM
if sanda has a good serving day she can beat elena, but she'll have to serve her best and hope that lena doesn't have a good serving day like she did in moscow (where lena got like 80% of her first serves in and hit 0 dfs)

:scared: :scared: GO LenaD! :cool:

spencercarlos
May 25th, 2005, 12:22 AM
As usual. People underestimate how Lindsay plays on clay and in general. She's playing at probably 2 pm in warm conditions on clay that has been relatively dry for a while. Sharapova crushed Peng in two sets at Berlin. Anything that reminds Lindsay that she maybe is playing on a very dirty hard court gives her an edge mentally. Peng just doesn't have the angles to create issue for Lindsay on clay.
And Peng is a hard hitting player, on clay probably a good retriever could scare Lindsay more.

-Kieron-
May 25th, 2005, 12:32 AM
I think all four will come through in straight sets. Quite easily too.

cartmancop
May 25th, 2005, 12:58 AM
I think all of the top 4 will win, with the closest probably being Elena D., b/c she hasn't played a whole lot recently & if she's not serving decent she is in big trouble.

Grice
May 25th, 2005, 01:09 AM
Lindz will have a handful to handle but she'll pull through!

Amelie will sweep the young gal away in no time

Maria will be back to top form after that monster match wif Linet woke her up!

Dementieva - ??? depends on her form

tennisrox
May 25th, 2005, 04:04 AM
sheesh!!!
People treat lindz as though she's some handicaped-slug - the girl CAN run you know...
shuai might have had a better chance against the faster players actually, because lindsay is going to run her around like crazy.

the outcome of this match depends on Lindsay's attitude.If she's as lethargic as she was against Srebotnik (her movement was truly hideous!Total wheelchair tennis!), she'll lose.But if Lindsay goes out there with her head screwed on straight, Peng doesn't have a chance.Lindsay will be all over Peng's serve.I think it will be a well fought match, but only if Lindz makes a bunch of UE's like she did on monday.

Mana
May 25th, 2005, 04:26 AM
I hope all 4 seeds lose!

deja_entendu
May 25th, 2005, 04:31 AM
None of the "phenoms" listed are actually phenoms. Rather, they are young journeywomen who have yet to truly hit their stride in the Tier IIIs and 75ks.

VeeReeDavJCap81
May 25th, 2005, 05:07 AM
Peng will beat herself out there with her serve. It's horrid. Her ball toss is like 100 feet above her head. Plus, Lindsay can move Peng around the court, and it's very hard to constantly hit on the run when you're two handed off both sides.

LucasArg
May 25th, 2005, 05:10 AM
I can't see any upset, maybe Peng has the match of her life versus a rufty Lindsay, and also Sandra Mamic can take a set from Dementieva, then the other will rise through the next round.

I read that Zuluaga has a pain in her right shouder and is not serving well, that means Venus is the favorite no matter how good can Fabiola be on clay.

rikvanlooy
May 25th, 2005, 07:26 AM
None of the "phenoms" listed are actually phenoms. Rather, they are young journeywomen who have yet to truly hit their stride in the Tier IIIs and 75ks.

I was thinking the same. If you compare this with what Justine and Kim did during their first slam, then there is a distinct difference.

Justine outplayed the then number one in the second round of RG 1999. She served for the match, but choked and lost. It was an incredible surprise that Davenport got hammered by a debutant.

Kim reached the fourth round of Wimbledon 1999 (after playing quali.). She won against a top 10 player (Coetzer) and lost to Graf.

It was already clear that these two players were real "phenoms".

It still took until 2001 before they reached their first slam final.

DEETHELICK
May 25th, 2005, 08:12 AM
Lindsay may have a tough set. But Maria, Amelie and even Elena should take control and come through :)

Lady
May 25th, 2005, 08:44 AM
Lindsay will win easily! Just as other ones, maybe exept Lena, but that depends on which Elena shows up. If it's good Elena, she wins in 2.