PDA

View Full Version : Do you agree with Mary Carillo?

harloo
May 24th, 2005, 04:05 PM
During the Agassi match she stated that with great shots on the women's tour you can "fake the funk" in regards to fitness and win. However, you cannot do the same thing on the men's tour because they are stronger and fitter.

I always wonder why Mary feels that she has to take a dig at the women's tour to make a point. We all know that the level of competition on the men's side is a bit higher, however was it really necessary for her to make that comment?

VeeReeDavJCap81
May 24th, 2005, 04:06 PM
She's so bitter. You can just tell by the way she talks. She accomplished LITTLE in tennis, especially in singles.

SJW
May 24th, 2005, 04:07 PM
you can rarely be injured and win on the mens tour i think. whereas on the womens, we've seen remarkable performances when struggling with injuries from Serena, Venus, Henin....etc.

unless i misunderstand. do you mean fitness as "non injured" or fitness as in "i can run for miles without getting tired"?

Knizzle
May 24th, 2005, 04:07 PM
I agree, it's not often you see a men's player who's not fit especially in the winners circle.

Helen Lawson
May 24th, 2005, 04:10 PM
She got beaten by a bunch of cows in the '70s, so she has to take it out on someone.

I do believe, however, that fitness is more of a requirement on the men's tour.

Pureracket
May 24th, 2005, 04:12 PM
Well, I've seen Muster, Agassi, and Sampras all win tournaments win they were not healthy.

I think that there is still a wide gap in talent in the lower ranks among the women, but I don't see it @ all in the top ten. Hell, Federer owns everybody in the top ten. We can't say the same about LD.

Wannabeknowitall
May 24th, 2005, 04:16 PM
During the Agassi match she stated that with great shots on the women's tour you can "fake the funk" in regards to fitness and win. However, you cannot do the same thing on the men's tour because they are stronger and fitter.

I always wonder why Mary feels that she has to take a dig at the women's tour to make a point. We all know that the level of competition on the men's side is a bit higher, however was it really necessary for her to make that comment?

For some strange reason i had a feeling she was talking about Lindsay. Mary Carillo can be a shady bitch sometimes. Always cracking jokes and stuff. Sometimes I wonder if she should be a comedian instead of a commentator and "respected" sports journalist.

Rocketta
May 24th, 2005, 04:18 PM
yeah isn't it interesting since Federer started dominating......that all of a sudden domination is not a bad thing...and they don't harp on it every other second like they did when certain women were dominating in the women's game and there were no male standouts? Remember how bad it was for women's tennis...I guess it's all the men's game ever needed now. :lol:

Rocketta
May 24th, 2005, 04:19 PM
btw, I know this was in the past but didn't Michael Chang win the French with severe cramping issues??? :confused:

auntie janie
May 24th, 2005, 04:19 PM
Interesting, because in a different article posted on this site, Mary said women players CAN'T "fake the funk" when it comes to playing on clay. I like Mary, but it sounds like she is in love with this expression and is maybe overusing it now. :D

icequeen
May 24th, 2005, 04:23 PM

Don't you know yet that she's a man.

VeeReeDavJCap81
May 24th, 2005, 04:24 PM
I think it depends on the player. Players like Hewitt and Safin play through injuries well. But you definitely can't be out of shape and be successful on the men's tour.

Pureracket
May 24th, 2005, 04:29 PM
By the way, Tsonga, who's playing against Roddick isn't a bad looking Brother @ all.

alfonsojose
May 24th, 2005, 04:30 PM
She wants to be a man ;)

Wannabeknowitall
May 24th, 2005, 04:31 PM
By the way, Tsonga, who's playing against Roddick isn't a bad looking Brother @ all.

He isn't. He has a nice bum. :)

Infiniti2001
May 24th, 2005, 04:32 PM
Mary is considered a jock by many, so she's trying to live up to that :tape:

Paneru
May 24th, 2005, 04:33 PM
She wants to be a man ;)
Way too easy..... :tape:

Infiniti2001
May 24th, 2005, 04:34 PM
P.S. better be careful what ya'll say, because Julia will get all over ya'll for dissing Mary :tape:

fammmmedspin
May 24th, 2005, 04:34 PM
you can rarely be injured and win on the mens tour i think. whereas on the womens, we've seen remarkable performances when struggling with injuries from Serena, Venus, Henin....etc.

unless i misunderstand. do you mean fitness as "non injured" or fitness as in "i can run for miles without getting tired"?

i would guess the second and if you look at the top 20 the only ones who some people say look unfit but win are pretty obvious. its not a dig about Justine, Kim, Nastya, Momo, Elena, Alicia, Nadia, Patty or even Maria or Lindsay is it.

As a generalisation its not true either. Patty, Francesca, Anna S, Justine, Elena, Patty look as if they could stay out there all week.

tennisIlove09
May 24th, 2005, 04:38 PM
I agree. I've seen it done. I've seen an injured Venus and or Serena play and still win. For Venus, the best memory is the 2003 Wimbledon semis.

Rocketta
May 24th, 2005, 04:40 PM
P.S. better be careful what ya'll say, because Julia will get all over ya'll for dissing Mary :tape:

and we are all :scared: :scared: :scared: about it too! :lol:

harloo
May 24th, 2005, 04:45 PM

Oh no, please god don't let her come into this thread and ruin it.:lol: :tape:

Infiniti2001
May 24th, 2005, 04:48 PM
Oh no, please god don't let her come into this thread and ruin it.:lol: :tape:

Unfortunately there isn't a feature to delete trolls from threads :lol:

harloo
May 24th, 2005, 04:49 PM

:haha: :haha:

faboozadoo15
May 24th, 2005, 04:54 PM
btw, I know this was in the past but didn't Michael Chang win the French with severe cramping issues??? :confused:
yep.... and that's held as one of the greatest triumphs in the history of the game.

if a woman had cramps and went on to win the tournament we would probably hear a lot about lack of depth. granted, there would also be a great many who would think it was that more special of a tournament for someone's overcoming themself and their opponents, but the are always naysayers.

nice example ;)

Rocketta
May 24th, 2005, 04:54 PM

I think that feature should be called the "Flush!" and when you click on it you see the poster's name swirl and swish down a toilet....:lol:

Cariaoke
May 24th, 2005, 05:10 PM
I think it also depends on the heart of the player. I think anyone that can fight through injuries, especially when that injury occurs during the match, has superb mental strength.

Unfortunately, because of the difference of gender, there's always going to a different perception of the same things that occur. It's all about recognizing the bullshit when appropriate.

the cat
May 24th, 2005, 05:19 PM
Well said Rocketta. And if Roddick was dominating the way Federer is it wouldn't be such a great thing for the tennis world. :rolleyes:

Mary is correct when she says men's tennis players have to be better conditioned than women's tennis players. But we all know that anyway. I guess her "fake the funk" slogan will be right up there with her "big babe tennis" slogan from years ago. ;)

vogus
May 24th, 2005, 05:30 PM
i wish Carillo would lose those lame expressions. But i mean, the point she made is basically a true one.

VeeReeDavJCap81
May 24th, 2005, 06:00 PM
i wish Carillo would lose those lame expressions. But i mean, the point she made is basically a true one.

I wish we could just lose Carillo period. I wish we could just drop her off in Siberia somewhere with a box of popsicles.

Veenut
May 24th, 2005, 06:26 PM

Let's just hope she is preoccupied trying to reconcile how she is going to deal with her "favs" if they should face off or better yet too busy calculating points. :D

Veenut
May 24th, 2005, 06:28 PM
:lol: I wish we could just lose Carillo period. I wish we could just drop her off in Siberia somewhere with a box of popsicles.
:lol: What warm sentiments for Mary!!!

Jakeev
May 24th, 2005, 07:02 PM
I have to disagree with Mary too.

I think the women are working and training harder than they ever have in the history of the game. That doesn't mean all of the top-100 are 100% fit, but it does mean they are doing what they have to do to compete in the game today.

But being a fit player in the women's game does not mean they are gonna beat everybody up like Serena or Lindsay can.

Anna Smashnova and Kristina Brandi are two of the fittest players on tour, but they rely on their fitness to make up for the fact they are not very powerful players.
Not sure what Mary was thinking but somebody needs her to really think about it.

tennisrox
May 24th, 2005, 07:13 PM
I have to disagree with Mary too.

I think the women are working and training harder than they ever have in the history of the game. That doesn't mean all of the top-100 are 100% fit, but it does mean they are doing what they have to do to compete in the game today.

But being a fit player in the women's game does not mean they are gonna beat everybody up like Serena or Lindsay can.

Anna Smashnova and Kristina Brandi are two of the fittest players on tour, but they rely on their fitness to make up for the fact they are not very powerful players.
Not sure what Mary was thinking but somebody needs her to really think about it.

I agree totally dude:)women's tennis is tougher than ever.You won't see 16 year old kids winning multiple GS's anymore.There's just too much competition, and too many other factors like fitness levels.I mean, can you see hingis winning a bunch of GS's today with a serve like that??But its true that the men's tour is definitely tougher, because the gulf b/w the top players and the rest is so much bigger in women's tennis.I hate to say it, but in women's tennis its power that rules now, and only a handful of players have that kind of power.

faste5683
May 24th, 2005, 07:14 PM
Yeah, I agree.

:wavey:

lizchris
May 24th, 2005, 09:00 PM
She's so bitter. You can just tell by the way she talks. She accomplished LITTLE in tennis, especially in singles.

I don't think she did that much better in doubles either.:tape:

Foot_Fault
May 24th, 2005, 09:10 PM

She need some dick...better yet she may want some puss:tape: ,

RVD
May 24th, 2005, 09:32 PM
Interesting, because in a different article posted on this site, Mary said women players CAN'T "fake the funk" when it comes to playing on clay. I like Mary, but it sounds like she is in love with this expression and is maybe overusing it now. :DI think you're right! I also feel that she's so in love with her 'off-the-cuff' expressions that she sometimes forgets what she's said in the past. :shrug: But what's even more unfortunate is that this woman is considered the best at what she does, by the media. :eek: It's a shame because most of what you hear from her are put-downs, gloating commentary, and how to beat a Williams sister. :rolleyes:

Sam L
May 24th, 2005, 09:32 PM
I always wonder why Mary feels that she has to take a dig at the women's tour to make a point.

Because she's a man? :confused:

VeeReeDavJCap81
May 24th, 2005, 09:46 PM
I think that feature should be called the "Flush!" and when you click on it you see the poster's name swirl and swish down a toilet....:lol:

Honestly that's not a bad idea. I think the thread starter should be able to ban posters from the thread if they're a nuisance. I would love to be able to put a muzzle on ys, Julia1968, Martian CFC, Cris Senior, among other shelter animals with rabies. :tape:

Pureracket
May 24th, 2005, 09:50 PM
Honestly that's not a bad idea. I think the thread starter should be able to ban posters from the thread if they're a nuisance. I would love to be able to put a muzzle on ys, Julia1968, Martian CFC, Cris Senior, among other shelter animals with rabies. :tape::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

(First post on the new page. . . nice!)

Rocketta
May 24th, 2005, 09:52 PM
First off if I ever hear someone credit Mary C with coming up with "Fakin' da Funk" I will Scream!!!!! :shout:

Pureracket
May 24th, 2005, 09:53 PM
First off if I ever hear someone credit Mary C with coming up with "Fakin' da Funk" I will Scream!!!!! :shout:Yeah, I've never heard anyone say that before. She's so original and talented. I want my son to grow up and be like Mary C.

Rocketta
May 24th, 2005, 09:55 PM
Yeah, I've never her anyone say that before. She's so original and talented. I want my son to grow up and be like Mary C.

:haha:

You're not right. :lol:

TonyP
May 24th, 2005, 10:12 PM
There's no question that the men are playing better tennis these days and that few of them seem to have an ounce of fat on them. But to say none of them ever play hurt (it that's in fact what she means), is probably not true. They have points to defend and at times appearance money (Legal, I believe, on the ATP tour), so I doubt that they pull out of a tournament due to a headache. Besides, guys are pretty macho and don't want the rep of being a sissy who lefts a hangnail derail their tournament.

I rather admired Agassi for staying out there and I have been critical in the past of women players who default matches at mid point. Unless you cannot actually walk across the court, you have some responsibility to the fans who buy the tickets, who make all this possible.

vogus
May 24th, 2005, 10:14 PM
Carillo is in love with her own cheesy one-liners and somebody should let her know that people are getting seriously sick of them. She would get booed off the stage at the local comedy club on open-mike night with this crap. So instead she incorporates it into her tennis commentary and forces it on us, helpless tennis viewers who have nowhere to escape other than the Mute button.

spartanfan
May 25th, 2005, 12:24 AM
I think you're right! I also feel that she's so in love with her 'off-the-cuff' expressions that she sometimes forgets what she's said in the past. :shrug: But what's even more unfortunate is that this woman is considered the best at what she does, by the media. :eek: It's a shame because most of what you hear from her are put-downs, gloating commentary, and how to beat a Williams sister. :rolleyes:

And why is that? Why come you never hear Mary or Pam or Mary Jo ever talk about how to BEAT Sharapova or JHH or Clijster or Mauresmo or Davenport, but they are always talking about way in which to beat Venus or Serena.

darren cahill
May 25th, 2005, 12:44 AM
Interesting, because in a different article posted on this site, Mary said women players CAN'T "fake the funk" when it comes to playing on clay. I like Mary, but it sounds like she is in love with this expression and is maybe overusing it now. :D

i used to think Mary was the most articulate announcer and so unique, but now she just seems so, i dont know, like shes trying to be dykey on purpose. always using these snappy one liners, like you almost pause waiting for the drum roll after her quirky comment.

RenaSlam.
May 25th, 2005, 01:02 AM
Carillo is a bitch. She's never had a tad bit of respect for Venus and Serena. Objectivity is clearly not in the forefront of her mind.

Knizzle
May 25th, 2005, 01:04 AM
She doesn't like Venus, she said she and Venus aren't friendly. I guess Venus doesn't like Mary for whatever reason, but she said she had some sort of association with Serena.

RVD
May 25th, 2005, 01:07 AM
Carillo is in love with her own cheesy one-liners and somebody should let her know that people are getting seriously sick of them. She would get booed off the stage at the local comedy club on open-mike night with this crap. So instead she incorporates it into her tennis commentary and forces it on us, helpless tennis viewers who have nowhere to escape other than the Mute button.NO SHIZNIT!! Kind of like Julia1968 and her Williams posts. :lol: Actually, I've been considering this for some time now, but am I the only one who thinks that Julia1968 is Mary Carillo!! :eek: I mean the similarities are unmistakable. From the senseless, inane, and terse commentary, all the way down to the obsession over anything labeled "Williams". It's astounding I tell ya!!!! :lol: :devil: