PDA

View Full Version : Speaking of commercials

TonyP
May 24th, 2005, 01:24 PM
Is ESPN going to play that same Agassi/Graf life insurance commercial during every single commercial break of the tournament?

It was cute the first time...okay the first dozen times.

But I am now getting up and walking away even if I have no place to go, just to be rid of the thing.

What they don't seem to get is, eventually people start changing channels to get away from it and ratings begin to sag as a result.

fifiricci
May 24th, 2005, 01:35 PM
I bet its not half as bloody annoying as the crazy frog ads. If I see/hear that frigging ad again I swear I'm going to punch the bloody TV in. :mad:

Veenut
May 24th, 2005, 01:53 PM
Is ESPN going to play that same Agassi/Graf life insurance commercial during every single commercial break of the tournament?

But I am now getting up and walking away even if I have no place to go, just to be rid of the thing.

What they don't seem to get is, eventually people start changing channels to get away from it and ratings begin to sag as a result.

I'm surprised you are complaining about ESPN about this. Don't you get it that corporate America doesn't care about your likes and dislikes. They get paid big bucks to run ads and that is what they do. These companies watch their bottom lines and that's all that counts. Personally, I switch between commercials or do other things during the time. What I've allways wonder about though is whether ads does make a difference for companies, with the exception of new products.

Cariaoke
May 24th, 2005, 02:03 PM
Er... newsflash Genworth financial is the company that is funding the coverage for ESPN, so you'll be seeing it EVERY commercial. Too bad they didn't make more than one commercial.

auntie janie
May 24th, 2005, 03:18 PM
I don't care about the commercials. I am too ecstatic about the hours and hours of *LIVE* tennis coverage to mind anything else. Remember how awful last year was, being forced to watch taped matches while live tennis was going on? The only taped matches I've seen so far this year have been after the live action ended for the day. Keep up the great work, ESPN! :hearts:

Wannabeknowitall
May 24th, 2005, 03:22 PM

Actually I think it's funny. After watching it over the 100th time now. Especially the part where Graf says she does the checkbook. It's nice that she's doing that NOW. Maybe if she did it 18 years ago her father wouldn't be in jail?

Rocketta
May 24th, 2005, 03:37 PM
add that Sharapova commercial to the gripe and I can feel you on it. :tape:

Wannabeknowitall
May 24th, 2005, 03:40 PM
add that Sharapova commercial to the gripe and I can feel you on it. :tape:

Speaking of which I've never seen someone's face airbrushed in a commerical like Sharapova's before.

harloo
May 24th, 2005, 03:42 PM
The Sharapova commercial was cute at first, but then it gets kind of annoying seeing it every other break.

Agassi and Steffi are my favorites so I don't mind there commercials, but I can see how it can be annoying also.

Foot_Fault
May 24th, 2005, 03:45 PM
Speaking of which I've never seen someone's face airbrushed in a commerical like Sharapova's before.

I have.

Wannabeknowitall
May 24th, 2005, 03:46 PM
The Sharapova commercial was cute at first, but then it gets kind of annoying seeing it every other break.

Agassi and Steffi are my favorites so I don't mind there commercials, but I can see how it can be annoying also.

Speaking of something else. I swear I heard Justine Henin-Hardenne "Allez" in her match against Conchi as many times as I saw that Agassi and Steffi Commercial.

Rocketta
May 24th, 2005, 03:49 PM

You know I thought it was the make-up that seemed weird but now I'll look at it differently...I didn't think of air-brushing??

harloo
May 24th, 2005, 03:52 PM

They digitally enhanced Whitney so anything's possible. I thought maybe Sharapova was just wearing alot of makeup.:confused:

UDiTY
May 24th, 2005, 03:52 PM
I swear I've seen the Genworth commercial twice a commercial break.

And Maria's commercial is cool, if she didn't walk and talk like a skank in the end:tape:

lizchris
May 24th, 2005, 09:03 PM
Both commercials are getting to be annoying. When I see them, I turn the TV OFF.

Dawn Marie
May 24th, 2005, 09:09 PM
I am going to have to look at her again, to see if it is airbrushing. I noticed her makeup was plastered on.

I like the graff/agassi commercial.:)

alwayshingis
May 24th, 2005, 09:12 PM
They've already showed the Sharapova commercial 21 times during the live broadcast (I haven't been watching the tape delayed recap stuff). I'm making a count for the whole tournament.

griffin
May 24th, 2005, 09:35 PM
Look at it this way: we've seen the commercials often enough to know how long they last, and so you know exactly how long you have to go grab a second cup of coffee (5 AM tennis? Yikes!)

decemberlove
May 24th, 2005, 10:00 PM
tivo is god.

ktwtennis
May 25th, 2005, 12:36 AM
I think we need to agree that ESPN may never get the coverage right! They're just awful!

darren cahill
May 25th, 2005, 12:39 AM
I don't care about the commercials. I am too ecstatic about the hours and hours of *LIVE* tennis coverage to mind anything else. Remember how awful last year was, being forced to watch taped matches while live tennis was going on? The only taped matches I've seen so far this year have been after the live action ended for the day. Keep up the great work, ESPN! :hearts:

how refreshing to read something positive for a change. you must have ESPN classic as well? I have 10 hours of coverage each day. from 5 am till 10 on one channel, then 10 to 3 on the other. its awesome. and they are showing a wide range of players as well.

darren cahill
May 25th, 2005, 12:40 AM
tivo is god.

aint that right sister! only took me 2-3 minutes to zap through Andy!:lol:

AlexB
May 25th, 2005, 12:46 AM
if youre gonna show 10 hours of tennis per day, i dont care if thats the only commercial you show all day...as long as someones paying to sponsor all this coverage, i got no problem....if that also includes having to watch maria sharapova make the dubai duty free commercial's awful tennis players look like academy award winning actresses so be it :lol:

darren cahill
May 25th, 2005, 12:49 AM
if youre gonna show 10 hours of tennis per day, i dont care if thats the only commercial you show all day...as long as someones paying to sponsor all this coverage, i got no problem....if that also includes having to watch maria sharapova make the dubai duty free commercial's awful tennis players look like academy award winning actresses so be it :lol:

I know....like this is the first time ESPN has shoved a commerical down our throats...wasnt it just last summer we heard 'i've got the world on a string...' after every break? such a silly thing to complain about. we all wait so long for each major to roll around and then the moaning and groaning begins. good grief

decemberlove
May 25th, 2005, 01:03 AM
how refreshing to read something positive for a change. you must have ESPN classic as well? I have 10 hours of coverage each day. from 5 am till 10 on one channel, then 10 to 3 on the other. its awesome. and they are showing a wide range of players as well.

i am happy with the coverage, too.

can't say i was shocked when i saw people on here bitching.

zapped right through andy, too. slowed down a few times on marat :drool:

darren cahill
May 25th, 2005, 01:08 AM
i am happy with the coverage, too.

can't say i was shocked when i saw people on here bitching.

zapped right through andy, too. slowed down a few times on marat :drool:

Girl i just love you!:cool: me, you and Marat could have some FUN! Fun with a capital FUC...oops!:tape:

yeah, i watched Marats match in full...zapped Justine and Andy...and the andre drool fest. although i think andre is an eloquent speaker. i preferred his press conference to his match!:lol: i wonder if Safin will be popping the shoes off at all this French like last year? lots of tivo freeze frames for me last year! had to save those to tape! LOL:tape:

decemberlove
May 25th, 2005, 01:20 AM
Girl i just love you!:cool: me, you and Marat could have some FUN! Fun with a capital FUC...oops!:tape:

yeah, i watched Marats match in full...zapped Justine and Andy...and the andre drool fest. although i think andre is an eloquent speaker. i preferred his press conference to his match!:lol: i wonder if Safin will be popping the shoes off at all this French like last year? lots of tivo freeze frames for me last year! had to save those to tape! LOL:tape:

:haha: at the fuc... :devil:

i STILL have safin's aus matches saved on tivo. jake was just bitching at me the other day cos his 5 hour epic matches take up so much fucking room. :lick: ive been too lazy to put them on tape or dvd. plus, i like them being right there so i can watch them at whenever i want.

auntie janie
May 25th, 2005, 01:31 AM

Yes, I am fortunate to have ESPN Classic, which I've barely even looked at until this week. And yeah, I have also been happily struck by the variety of players they've been showing. This year they seem to have decided to aim the coverage at real TENNIS FANS instead of at random sports fans who only want to see familiar faces. Looks like they've got a whole new philosophy compared to last year's travesty. Hope it keeps up all year.

darren cahill
May 25th, 2005, 01:37 AM
Yes, I am fortunate to have ESPN Classic, which I've barely even looked at until this week. And yeah, I have also been happily struck by the variety of players they've been showing. This year they seem to have decided to aim the coverage at real TENNIS FANS instead of at random sports fans who only want to see familiar faces. Looks like they've got a whole new philosophy compared to last year's travesty. Hope it keeps up all year.

You are exactly right...instead of just shoving americans at us, they are showing TOP players no matter what country they are from...day 1 we had Myskina, some of Mary Pierce, Kim's match, Lindsays match in full i believe, Venus, Roger, all of Nadal which would have been unheard of before....and even some of Gaudio. today we had andy and andre, but then we had Safin, Maria, some of Kuznetsova, Justine and Conchita, some of Coria, and the other day i think we had a huge chunk of Gasquets match. not a lot to complain about.

darren cahill
May 25th, 2005, 01:40 AM
:haha: at the fuc... :devil:

i STILL have safin's aus matches saved on tivo. jake was just bitching at me the other day cos his 5 hour epic matches take up so much fucking room. :lick: ive been too lazy to put them on tape or dvd. plus, i like them being right there so i can watch them at whenever i want.

how much storage does your tivo have? we have that extra double load...i forget what that is, like 80 hours? that might be wrong...i know its a lot though. i already dumped my safin aussie matches to vhs and dvd....the roger match and the final i have on dvd, i did Safins other ones on tape. but oddly enough, i do have one aussie match still on tivo, the maria/serena match. i havent watched that yet. just the other day i finally watched Andy/Keifer from Cincinatti last summer!:tape: purely watched that for the Keef....i do like him!

moon
May 25th, 2005, 01:48 AM
I actually don't mind watching Steffi & Andre's commercial. I think all their commercials so far are pretty funny. Maria's commercial on the other hand :tape:
Glad I've got the VCR!

btw--other than the commercials, I think the coverage is great. I just wish it were all on the same channel. Every day I have to decide whether to tape espn2 or classic.

faboozadoo15
May 25th, 2005, 01:58 AM
yea... i have espn classic... and i must say, this coverage rocks. they've shown so many players, the commentary has been okay, and hell, i even like chris fowler as a host. he's such a great guy in that he's covered all sports but is fascinated with tennis. i really think that his presence and interest compliments the sport. also he's got a great voice to do the intro video for each day. it's amazing, i've watched like 50+ majors and still i get all sentimental when they play those things... :lol:

UDiTY
May 25th, 2005, 03:14 AM
Coverage has been good so far. Except for tonight, which they showed Andrea for the 3rd time today. I know it's a big deal Andre lost but they never showed Justine/Conchita on ESPN2!!!

THey shoulda!

CoryAnnAvants#1
May 25th, 2005, 03:53 AM
Yeah the variety has been great. I think ESPN is finding a balance now that they've got ten hours of coverage a day to work with. They'll show you the top players in full, but they understand the REAL tennis fans want to see Pierce and Myskina and Gasquet, etc etc. So they oblige and show us some games or even a set. That's all we want. They even showed some of Amy Frazier on Monday:eek: OK, two points, but still lol...I'll be getting up at 6AM tomorrow in hopes of catching the end of her match against Loit. They better show it if I'm waking up that early...

backhanddtl4
May 25th, 2005, 04:14 AM
I don't have ESPN Classic, I'm pissed.

Hots4Safin
May 25th, 2005, 05:49 AM
the sharapova commercial is actually quite good. The Andre/steffi sucks b/c Andre is like, the worst actor of all time. I'm sick of them both though...and I don't get classic which sucks.