PDA

View Full Version : Justine Heninh Hardenne beats Conchita Martinez 6-0 4-6 6-4

DevilishAttitude
May 24th, 2005, 12:57 PM
At one time in the match it looked like it could be 6-0 6-1.

Weird match. Justine played amazing tennis in the 1st set and lost only 6 points. Then a 15 duece game which took longer than the whole of 1st set happened. Then Justine really gave the 2nd set away. Then got to 5-1 with Conchita playing poor tennis and then Conchi plays her best tennis Henin palys poor and gets back to 5-4. Henin was lucky at 0-15 when Conchita missed an easy shot and it got back to Henin's match.

Conchita :bigcry: :crying2: :sobbing: Another close match against a Top player, another loss.

Should have been a 4th Round or QF match.

And if Henin plays like she did in the 1st no one's beating her.

Lady
May 24th, 2005, 01:00 PM
If you put a result up for everyone, it's pathetic to use a sad smiley! :rolleyes:

Anyway, Justine, you should have won in 2, but that's just your normal 1st round!
Try to get better in the next one! I know you were pissed with yourself today! ;)

flyingmachine
May 24th, 2005, 01:01 PM
Justine :woohoo:

Tati & Dani
May 24th, 2005, 01:04 PM
:woohoo:

_julio_
May 24th, 2005, 01:08 PM
Conchi :sad: The next time you'll win!!

Rub
May 24th, 2005, 01:17 PM
the result is very expected... but the scoreline is :eek:

anyway, i know justine will pick it up in the next rounds! allez! :dance:

good thing wtaworld.com is back :woohoo:

Hercules
May 24th, 2005, 01:17 PM
Congrats Conchi !!!

Your play was fantastic, specially in the third set, with an impressive forehand and a very nice slice backhand

Best luck in Wimbledon, I am sure you will give me great days

Mattographer
May 24th, 2005, 01:19 PM
I keep switched channels while watched three shows in different time included The OC and I still can't believe it still went going on. It's incredible! Was the match good to watch or too boring like typically all matches with Conchita Martinez? :lol:

_LuCaS_
May 24th, 2005, 01:23 PM
Exciting match. Justine almost blew her 5-1 lead in the 3rd, but she maintained control in the end.

cerbero
May 24th, 2005, 01:26 PM
Justine was OFF...

cynicole
May 24th, 2005, 01:30 PM
If you put a result up for everyone, it's pathetic to use a sad smiley! :rolleyes:

It's sad that it was a first round match.

Lady
May 24th, 2005, 01:32 PM
It's sad that it was a first round match.

Well, I agree about that!
It's just when you look at the thread title, it looks uncool! ;)

Typical Justine match, where she needed to torture her fans! ;)
And that choking! :tape:

Tripp
May 24th, 2005, 01:35 PM
Conchi :fiery: That slice BH she missed with an unforced error when she was 15/30, 4/5 on Justine's serve was crucial.

Great match though, it was great to see you back fighting with the top players. Watch out for Wimbledon, young girls! ;)

joz
May 24th, 2005, 01:35 PM
Wow... that's the first time in a while that I've seen Conchita, pull out such a wide variety of shots. She's always had that ability, but hasn't seemed to use that much variety lately.

She's got a lot of talent... side to side movement seemed to be a real weakness today. Probably age??? but it could be that she just wasn't reading where Justine was going with some of her shots.

Justine played patient with the change-up... and I don't think she played poorly at all, I think Martinez just played well.

The one interesting thing is that when Conchita played agressive she seemed to dominate play... not sure why she didn't do that more. Perhaps she can't keep that up for a whole match anymore?

Anyway... it was nice to see Conchita play well at least one more time on center stage.

While some on the board see Conchita's change-up...lack of pace stuff... as boring... I think it is brilliant. She's really constructing points not just going out to bash the ball and see what happens. Unfortunately... too many people now step in and take those balls early... when years ago... they did not...

fleemke³
May 24th, 2005, 01:38 PM
Did you see that first set :eek: :cool: but if you 'know' Justine ... well it her first round ;)

Great to see Conchi fighting herself in the match!

Louis Cyphre
May 24th, 2005, 01:38 PM
I`m so happy that Justine won coz i wonna watch Justine - Maria Sharapova.Hope Masha will win this time but I found Justine too smart for Masha ;) The bad news is that Magie Maleeva may face Justine in the 3 round :sad: and the result would be :bigcry:

Lady
May 24th, 2005, 01:40 PM
I`m so happy that Justine won coz i wonna watch Justine - Maria Sharapova.Hope Masha will win this time but I found Justine too smart for Masha ;) The bad news is that Magie Maleeva may face Justine in the 3 round :sad: and the result would be :bigcry:

Keep rooting for Justine!! :kiss:

loppy
May 24th, 2005, 01:42 PM
I only caught the last part of the game when Justine had two set points at 5-1. She almost blew it.

Scared me to death! LOL

Louis Cyphre
May 24th, 2005, 01:44 PM
Keep rooting for Justine!! :kiss:
Lady :wavey: :kiss: Till the 3 round and after that I`ll wont Magie to win :devil: and after that (coz it`s veeery doubtfully that Magie will win) i`ll root for Masha :devil:

Maria Croft
May 24th, 2005, 01:49 PM
I feel a bit sorry for Martinez, two unlucky GS draws, she could get to a 4th round easily if she didn't always draw the best in the 1th round

Jasmin
May 24th, 2005, 01:49 PM
Not a fan but why is everyone saying that Justine played so bad. I don't think Martinez is a push over on clay. I think too Justine has to be nervous. It's been awhile since she's been at a slam and it's the first round. Gotta get the jitters out.

Lady
May 24th, 2005, 01:53 PM
Not a fan but why is everyone saying that Justine played so bad. I don't think Martinez is a push over on clay. I think too Justine has to be nervous. It's been awhile since she's been at a slam and it's the first round. Gotta get the jitters out.

Well, she won 6-0, and then played on court for 2 hours! I know Conchi is good, and 3rd set was no surprise, but blowing away 5-1 2 match points?? ;)

alfonsojose
May 24th, 2005, 01:55 PM
Conchi :fiery: That slice BH she missed with an unforced error when she was 15/30, 4/5 on Justine's serve was crucial.

i couldn't agree more :mad: get ready for Wimby, Conchi :devil:

divya
May 24th, 2005, 01:58 PM
oh drat!i wanted martinez to win this one so badly! it's not that i don't like henin or anything, but isn't this conchita's last year? i thought it would be amazing if she got a little further. oh well, at least she pushed henin really hard.

hopefully Kim wins the title though!;)

Jodie
May 24th, 2005, 02:03 PM
Justine :hug:

selyoink
May 24th, 2005, 02:19 PM
Glad Justine won. I thought she would advance easily but it seems Conchita really made her work hard.

Greenout
May 24th, 2005, 02:22 PM
Conchita played some insane shots. Really superb in the second-
the drop shot return on the BOSS's serve was masterful. Conchita
outplayed BOSS in the finesse department in set #2.

BOSS was too intense, and seemed to be angry for God know's
what in the second set- and she lost it. Great of her to cool down
and work magic for the 3rd set to get it at 5-1. Very typical of
her to blow a lead with crap overheads ala the Ana match at
Warsaw.

The quality overall despite some crappy UE's was high.
Loved the really slick dropshots and angles by both players.

jimbo mack
May 24th, 2005, 02:33 PM
conchita- good fight

shame u had to play another great player so early on

do well at wimbledon! :)

VeeReeDavJCap81
May 24th, 2005, 02:48 PM
Justine was downright scary in that first set.

ginger_fish668
May 24th, 2005, 02:53 PM
Justine's backhand is just amazing. I'm in awe.
She's definitely the hot favorite for Roland Garros.

crazillo
May 24th, 2005, 02:53 PM
Conchi :sad:

saima
May 24th, 2005, 03:08 PM
conchita is good clay court player...but i'm so much happy for ju,her fighting spirit is much better than conchi.. :cool: BEST OF LUCK JU :wavey:

auntie janie
May 24th, 2005, 03:29 PM
I'm so sorry to see Conchita exit so soon, after watching her play today the best tennis I've seen from her in YEARS. :sad:

But Justine did what she had to do. It's always great to see my favorite player come through a difficult match :hearts:, but I just wish this had been, say, a quarterfinal.

jochem
May 24th, 2005, 03:30 PM
I think this is kinda good for Justine... she had a really good practise today and now knows how to battle through hard times...she'll need that in her later rounds against Kuznetsova and Sharapova... She also played rather poorly in the first round of Berlin if I am right, but she did beat Maria in a very impressive way... She'll use this from now on...

Cybelle Darkholme
May 24th, 2005, 03:38 PM
Once again I was both sad and happy.

sad for conchi that she had to go out like that in round one. This may be her last FO.

Happy because this means Justine is one step closer to the Maria showdown.

Kart
May 24th, 2005, 04:28 PM
Oh look this match wasn't the roll over that many were predicting.

Well done Conchita :yeah:.

pigam
May 24th, 2005, 04:30 PM
conchita really is SUCH a talented player.
I know she won A LOTTTTTTTTT of tournament, buit I'v heard before that her carreer could have been even bigger :shrug:
No nedd to retire yet, if she plays like that always, she has her place in the top20, at least!

tennisIlove09
May 24th, 2005, 04:57 PM
http://www.wtatour.com/global/graphics/space.gifhttp://www.wtatour.com/global/graphics/space.gifhttp://www.wtatour.com/global/graphics/space.gifhttp://www.wtatour.com/global/graphics/space.gifhttp://www.wtatour.com/global/graphics/space.gif
http://www.wtatour.com/global/photos_rx/henin_pump_rg_7242_rx.jpg
© Getty Images
http://www.wtatour.com/global/graphics/space.gif
Justine Needs Three Sets in Round One

PARIS - Already a force to be reckoned with on the clay, 2003 Roland Garros champion Justine Henin-Hardenne increased her clay court winning streak to 18 by defeating Conchita Martinez in the first round of Roland Garros. With a scoreline of 60 46 64, Henin-Hardenne was quick to take the first set. However, former Wimbledon champion Martinez displayed her mental toughness and fought back to take the second set 64. In the end it was Henin-Hardenne who clinched the final set, taking one step forward in her quest to regain the Roland Garros title. Both players had 14 winners in the final set, but Henin-Hardenne's 11 unforced errors compared to Martinez's 19 helped escalate Henin-Hardenne as the winner in the close third set.

Reflecting on the match, Henin-Hardenne stated, "I played extremely well in the first set, probably one of the best sets I've ever played."

"She (Martinez) was in the court in the second set. With her big forehand, I had a lot of trouble. It was windy out there also. So at the end finally I can win, and that's the best thing for me to do. It wasn't easy. But I did expect this kind of match."

Two veteran seeds were upset early on Day 2, Ai Sugiyama and Paola Suarez. Sugiyama encountered Nuria Llagostera Vives, who has had recent success on the clay, winning the Rabat title a few weeks ago. Llagosterva Vives had a difficult time against the former Top 10 Japanese player, eventually winning 63 46 64.

2004 Roland Garros semifinalist Paola Suarez has been hindered all season by injury, as her opponent, Russian Anna Chakvetadze, took advantage, 75 16 60. Chakvetadze has reached at least the third round in all three of her career Grand Slam events.

Frenchwoman Severine Beltrame and Australian Samantha Stosur recorded their first-ever victories at Roland Garros. Beltrame, who recently received her law degree from the University of Law of Montpellier upset higher-ranked Abigail Spears, 63 61. Stosur also cruised to victory, beating Silvija Talaja 61 62.

No.6 seed Svetlana Kuznetsova lost only two games in her opening match, defeating French wildcard Mathilde Johansson 61 61. She will meet qualifier Sofia Arvidsson in the next round, who upset Eleni Daniilidou 61 76(1).

No Name Face
May 24th, 2005, 04:59 PM
aw i was pulling for Conchita...especially during her third set comeback...but good match nonetheless. I want Henin to lose though, I'd root for Sharapova over her.

V-MAC
May 24th, 2005, 05:37 PM
Well, I agree about that!
It's just when you look at the thread title, it looks uncool! ;)

Typical Justine match, where she needed to torture her fans! ;)
And that choking! :tape:

:eek: I'm glad I'm not a Justine fan then :o

Julia1968
May 24th, 2005, 05:52 PM
ALLEZ!!!

shap_half
May 24th, 2005, 06:18 PM
Oy Justine! 1 UE error in the first set. More than 30 in the next two sets. That was a rough one. I needed many cigarettes to get through that third set after she squandered 2 MPs.

Oh well. Typical Justine!
Allez! May the force be with you!!! Win!

lucashg
May 24th, 2005, 07:05 PM
Allez indeed. I left home really nervous when Justine just had lost the 2nd set, I know I shouldn't worry that much because it's typical of her to blow second sets. I guess she had just realized how amazing she played in the 1st set and was already thinking about the RG trophy :lol:

I wish she could play like that in all her second sets! :tape:

thelittlestelf
May 24th, 2005, 08:24 PM
Conchita :sad: It's a shame she got such an awful draw

Good luck Justine.

raquel
May 24th, 2005, 08:30 PM
It was a real shame for Conchita to draw Justine in the first round. She could have had a nice little run here with a better draw. It was great to see her fighting back and it was a good match to watch even if the tennis was not always brilliant. Justine in the first set was playing so well but after that 15 deuce game, Justine lost a bit of momentum and her serve really went off the boil. As a fan of Sveta, I think Sveta can definitely take more advantage if Justine's serve is not on form like that if they do get to meet in R4. If Justine finds that first set form though, she is going to be very tough to beat.

Conchi, good luck in doubles. She just hit a couple of unforced errors in that last game that cost her, otherwise she could have got to 5-5.

per4ever
May 24th, 2005, 09:12 PM
I've seen the match live. Justine was amazing in the first set..like someone said before, if she can keep on playing like that first set nobody is going to beat her. But she lost concentration, and everyone saw what happened.

JenFan75
May 24th, 2005, 09:13 PM
Conchi :sad:

Lady
May 24th, 2005, 09:24 PM
Well, just watched it taped! ;)

I wouldn't say she played that great in the 1st, just normal.

But it was nice of her to overrule that ace for Conchi, wasn't that? :p

faste5683
May 24th, 2005, 09:28 PM
I've seen the match live. Justine was amazing in the first set..like someone said before, if she can keep on playing like that first set nobody is going to beat her. But she lost concentration, and everyone saw what happened.

I know. Being a Justine fan is certainly expensive, having to have all the medical equipment (heart fibulators, saline drip, tranquilizers, etc.) constantly on standby. I'm ordering an oxygen machine for her next match; I almost blacked out during the third set today.

:wavey:

Scotso
May 24th, 2005, 09:38 PM
Conchita :sad:

but a good fight :)

see you at RG next year :angel:

Lady
May 24th, 2005, 09:39 PM
I know. Being a Justine fan is certainly expensive, having to have all the medical equipment (heart fibulators, saline drip, tranquilizers, etc.) constantly on standby. I'm ordering an oxygen machine for her next match; I almost blacked out during the third set today.

Yep.
I had an exam today in the evening, which was stressful enough, but no, Ju had to add the pressure! :tape:
So today I was eating nothing the whole day!

tennislover
May 24th, 2005, 09:40 PM
no surprise!

tennislover
May 24th, 2005, 09:42 PM

:lol: :lol: :lol:
OMG!!!!!!
compared to you, Calimero is a "cold", quiet, calm fan..... :lol:

RELAX, my dear....

*Jool*
May 24th, 2005, 11:08 PM
I experience mixed feelings about this match :
hatred (for the draw) , bitterness ( I cd not see it altho I was in RG ), happiness and pride (she played so well in the last 2sets :worship: ,sadness (maybe her last match there I dont hope nor think so ;) ) , regret (for the last game coz I really thought she was going to level the score and wins a hold-up ) etc...

BRAVO CONCHITA ! :bounce: