PDA

View Full Version : Kournikova and Novotna...

WhatTheDeuce
May 23rd, 2005, 12:41 AM
...took part in an exhibition event in Miami yesterday. Anyone have any news on it?

FLL
May 23rd, 2005, 12:48 AM
so pics are on g e t t y i m a g e s...

WhatTheDeuce
May 23rd, 2005, 12:50 AM
so pics are on g e t t y i m a g e s...
Thanks. :)

Any news on scores or anything?

WhatTheDeuce
May 23rd, 2005, 12:52 AM
She looks amazing as usual :worship:

rhz
May 24th, 2005, 11:55 PM
pics?? scores??

*JR*
May 25th, 2005, 12:18 PM
She looks amazing as usual :worship: Plus she won 24 singles titles in her career, and finally hoisted the Venus Rosewater Dish in her 3rd final @ SW19!

AK-DH Fan
May 25th, 2005, 12:42 PM
All I know is Anna lost vs. Novotna(from the kournikova.com message board) I have know clue where to find the score or the doubles results :confused:

goldenlox
May 25th, 2005, 03:12 PM
Here's an article from the Miami Herald, and a link to some pics -

SMASHING DISPLAY

Tennis star Anna Kournikova joined legend John McEnroe and two future International Tennis Hall of Famers for an exhibition Saturday at the Office Depot Center.

BY DARRAN SIMON

Anna Kournikova walked onto the blue tennis courts in the dim Office Depot Center arena to wild applause from fans who love her game -- and her life.

''She is absolutely hot,'' said Rick Birgel, a fan admiring the blue warm-up top that stopped right around the 23-year-old's navel.

Kournikova, one of the world's most popular tennis players, joined legends Jana Novotna, John McEnroe and Jim Courier Saturday in 2005 Mercedes-Benz Classic, which drew about 8,000 fans to the arena in Sunrise.

Kournikova lost to Novotna, 36, in the first game of the exhibition.

McEnroe, a seven-time Grand Slam Champion, played Courier, who will be inducted into the International Tennis Hall of Fame this summer in Newport, R.I.

Kournikova, a two-time Grand Slam doubles champion, was the local favorite on Saturday night.

Fans screamed, ''Yeah, Anna'' from both ends of the tennis court, cheering on the Miami Beach resident even when she flubbed her shots.

''She can't get the momentum,'' said Joshua Jacobs, 24, a journalist. ``She's dropping the ball a little low on the net on the returns.''

Kournikova is known as much for her off-court life as for stellar grass or clay play. She's a regular at South Beach hot spots and a model who once posed for the Sports Illustrated swimsuit edition. She has recently been linked to singer Enrique Iglesias.

But it wasn't all about her. The crowed booed when the referee called a shot for Kournikova instead of Novotna, a Wimbledon champion. Novotna will join Courier, 34, in the International Tennis Hall of Fame this summer.

The big names drew longtime fans and tennis greenhorns.

Birgel brought his friend Steve Stuart to the match, for his birthday.

''This is fun,'' said Stuart, who turned 42 on Saturday. ``I'm glad that you asked me.''

Courier is a Florida native and four-time Grand Slam champion. He and Andre Agassi lost in a doubles match last month at the U.S. Men's Clay Court Championships.

Some diehard tennis fans like Susie Richardson, 57, and her husband Rick Schweitzer, 52, came to see Kournikova, and McEnroe -- and also the game.

''We didn't come to watch competitive tennis. We came to watch fun,'' said Richardson.

She got hooked on tennis in the early 70s as a college student at Southern Illinois University. She and friends would crowd around a 13-inch black-and-white television.

''We'd sit there and drink cheap beer and watch tennis,'' she said. ``It was great.''

Asked if he liked McEnroe or Kournikova more, Schweitzer picked McEnroe, who is 46.

''We're the old-timers,'' he said.

http://sports.sina.com.cn/tennis/photo/15069/index.shtml

http://www.lfi.co.uk/dynevent-action-nl.do?eventid=128282

CooCooCachoo
May 25th, 2005, 03:14 PM
Jana :bigclap: