May 22nd, 2005, 09:54 PM
:o

JenFan75
May 22nd, 2005, 09:54 PM
^_^ at both these scores..

Especially the first one ^_____^

Sinnet
May 22nd, 2005, 09:56 PM
LOL. Do any of you know what they use practice matches for?

Generally, when they play these practice matches, they're using them for experimenting. It's not uncommon to see a big player get beaten by a nobody. It's just practice.

For example, I played a girl last night (I've always beaten her in the past in competitive match play, such as at tournaments) in a practice match and I used the match to practice spinning the serve up the "T." She won, 6-3.

These matches mean nothing, so please, no "Woohoo"ing for the winners. :p

Spunky83
May 22nd, 2005, 09:57 PM
weird, but well...despite her worries, nastya repeatedly told the press that she felt really comfortable in Roland Garros, that it was her favourite tournament (or really?) and that she´s looking forward to the first match. She hopes to compensate her sadness with a few wins and I think it´s already an accomplishment of her to feel that way during these times.

But I also doubt that Kim´s 100%, still interesting mini-match.

FLL
May 22nd, 2005, 09:57 PM
Nastya said once she got to the Roland Garros ground, her confidence seemed to come back. She just hopes to do her best :)

_LuCaS_
May 22nd, 2005, 09:59 PM
As expected...the reigning champ almost bagelled Kim :tennis: ;)

Andrew.
May 22nd, 2005, 10:03 PM
Means nothing.

Kim makes final, playing when she clearly shouldn't be, and blows up her knee en route. Then, "Oh. I don't know why I'm so unlucky!"

Try not doing unnecessary splits in the middle of matches, not playing a ridiculous schedule, and not coming back too soon every time.

SilK
May 22nd, 2005, 10:04 PM
:lol:

OMG... fools :p

fifiricci
May 22nd, 2005, 10:06 PM
Means nothing.

Kim makes final, playing when she clearly shouldn't be, and blows up her knee en route. Then, "Oh. I don't know why I'm so unlucky!"

Try not doing unnecessary splits in the middle of matches, not playing a ridiculous schedule, and not coming back too soon every time.

Wow, dunno how Kim manages without you! She could still have been on bed rest if you'd advised her, but oh no she went to the US and won those two Tier 1s back to back :lol:

Andrew.
May 22nd, 2005, 10:10 PM
Wow, dunno how Kim manages without you! She could still have been on bed rest if you'd advised her, but oh no she went to the US and won those two Tier 1s back to back :lol:
Am I talking about that? No.

I'm talking about her continuing to come back to tournaments way too early. And then she gets injured, and pretends to have no idea why.

You know she's going to kill her knee now. It's not a matter of if, but when.

arn
May 22nd, 2005, 10:15 PM
Am I talking about that? No.

I'm talking about her continuing to come back to tournaments way too early. And then she gets injured, and pretends to have no idea why.

You know she's going to kill her knee now. It's not a matter of if, but when.

It's nice to know Kim's doctor is a member of this board :wavey: :rolleyes:

CoryAnnAvants#1
May 22nd, 2005, 10:18 PM
I think once Kim makes the decision that she needs to rest and rehab an injury, she does absolutely everything that needs to be done and then some. The problem is that she often makes the injury far more severe than it needs to be by playing matches and taking risks that are completely unnecessary. She needs to practically not be able to hit a ball before she decides to take time off.

She said she wasn't going to take any "unnecessary risks", yet there are pictures of her doing those splits in practices. She said her health is "80% at the most," her knee is heavily taped, her movement is restricted...so why the fuck is she playing? Practice match or not, losing 6-1 to Myskina, even if Anastasia got her old form back, is really saying something.

I hope Kim withdraws. She's got a cakewalk path to the 4th round that she could get through even if she were playing a wheelchair, and the matches are only going to make her knee worse.

CoryAnnAvants#1
May 22nd, 2005, 10:18 PM
I think once Kim makes the decision that she needs to rest and rehab an injury, she does absolutely everything that needs to be done and then some. The problem is that she often makes the injury far more severe than it needs to be by playing matches and taking risks that are completely unnecessary. She needs to practically not be able to hit a ball before she decides to take time off.

She said she wasn't going to take any "unnecessary risks", yet there are pictures of her doing those splits in practices. She said her health is "80% at the most," her knee is heavily taped, her movement is restricted...so why the fuck is she playing? Practice match or not, losing 6-1 to Myskina, even if Anastasia got her old form back, is really saying something.

I hope Kim withdraws. She's got a cakewalk path to the 4th round that she could get through even if she were playing in a wheelchair, and the matches are only going to make her knee worse.

Andrew.
May 22nd, 2005, 10:46 PM

I hope Kim withdraws. She's got a cakewalk path to the 4th round that she could get through even if she were playing a wheelchair, and the matches are only going to make her knee worse.
Thank you. That's exactly what I'm saying.

She says at the beginning of the year that she's going to cut back on her schedule. And what does she do? Play the exact same things she did before the wrist injury.

Now, she says she won't do splits. Then there are pics of her donig some pretty extreme ones...

It's ridiculous. She's just begging for it at this point.

Spunky83
May 22nd, 2005, 10:52 PM
Kim...not doing splits? Oh come on. That´s like Andy Roddick playing a match without serving faster than 200km/h!

Saw in a belgian tv report today that she played with heavy bandage. Hope she feels healthy, wouldn´t like her to be out again for such a long time.

UDiTY
May 23rd, 2005, 12:41 AM
http://www.rolandgarros.com/en_FR/news/articles/2005-05-22/200505221116776276428.html

Two weeks ago, no confidence
She ended the 2004 ranked a career high No. 3 and declared her intention of taking over the No.1 ranking. But after being stunned by Nathalie Dechy at the 2005 Australian Open, her game slid downhill. Two weeks ago in Berlin, she was shocked by German wild card Julia Schruff and said that she had absolutely no confidence in her game.

But on Sunday after getting a good workout at her beloved Roland Garros, she felt much better.

"I'll try to believe because I played such a great tournament here last year," said Myskina, who beat Kim Clijsters 6-1 in a practice set. "I'm hoping to come back here and get my confidence back. Even though today was a practice match, I was really happy that I played well and look forward to Monday."

Last week, Myskina's coach, Jens Gerlach, said his student is going to have to rediscover her inner fire at Roland Garros.

"She's been a champion and knows how to dig deep like a champion," he said. "If she gets to Paris and wins a couple of good matches, maybe she'll feel the magic of Roland Garros again."

Myskina, who took down Venus in last year's quarterfinals, could play her US foe again in the fourth round. Like her coach, she's hoping to rekindle her fire.

Hopefully this is all true and she's a different player than she has been so far this year!!!

Too bad Venus is in her sectioN!:sad:

But I know she'll have a great rest of the year:D

Alfie
May 23rd, 2005, 12:42 AM
Thank you. That's exactly what I'm saying.

She says at the beginning of the year that she's going to cut back on her schedule. And what does she do? Play the exact same things she did before the wrist injury.

Kim really hasn't played that many tournaments this year.
Antwerp, IW, Miami, Warsaw, Berlin.

She did not expect to win two back-to-back Tier 1's (IW and Miami) so soon after her comeback. Antwerp was her first tournament back and she lost to Venus in the quarters. After that performance I'd say very few people including Kim herself, would've predicted that she'd win her next two tournaments. Her schedule was made way before she won those tournaments.

Her ranking plummeted to 138 this year so of course she needed to make sure to enter enough tournaments to get her ranking up. At that point she was in danger of not getting direct entry into tournaments based on her ranking let alone being seeded at the majors.

I can't blame her for wanting the play the French Open despite being less than 100%. So far she's missed 4 consecutive Slams beginning with last year's French Open :sad:

Now, she says she won't do splits. Then there are pics of her donig some pretty extreme ones...
It's ridiculous. She's just begging for it at this point.

Kim said she wouldn't do the splits anymore in her post-match press conference after the injury happened in Berlin, but that was before the MRI scan and before consulting with the doctors so it's probably something she said in the heat of the moment. At RG this year on media day she told the press that she would continue to do the splits and that it is part of her game. She believes the knee injury was just a freak accident.
Personally I don't like seeing her do the splits and taking those risks, but it's second nature to her so it's not something that will disappear overnight.

Andrew.
May 23rd, 2005, 01:10 AM
There is ZERO reason for the splits. It doesn't help her get to anything. In fact, it probably hinders her if you factor in recovery time, etc.

faboozadoo15
May 23rd, 2005, 01:20 AM
There is ZERO reason for the splits. It doesn't help her get to anything. In fact, it probably hinders her if you factor in recovery time, etc.
i think in all the time iv've seen her play, she's won the point where she's done the slits exactly 4 times. it's ridiculous... she needs to stop it.

i have a GUY friend (say what you want, lol) who does the splits as well sometimes when he plays against me, and literally i could put the ball anywhere on the court and he wouldn't win the point.

wateva
May 23rd, 2005, 01:25 AM
it's kim choice really. posting here won't change her mind. i only wish her the best. it's her style of play and it's her prerogative.

fammmmedspin
May 23rd, 2005, 02:02 AM
Nastya's game has been fine this year when her serve/shoulder has been alright and when she has been on her game - she just hasn't stayed there for long or long enough in her better matches.. We know from the other threads why her mind has been elsewhere for much of the year and thats perfectly understandable. No reason why she shouldn't beat Kim if she can concentrate - she's done it before.

Kim is a different matter though. The knee looked bad when she did it and if its still bandaged , she felt unsure on clay before and isn't meant to slide or split you have to wonder why bother to play with no practice on clay. Her objectives must be to stay healthy and if a there is anything else it ought to be to make the YEC and build for a return to the top 2. That will happen anyway6 if she stays healthy so why bother playing more on clay this year?

Tichi
May 24th, 2005, 01:44 PM
in practice match
Kim :help:

As we said, it was just a practice match. Kim just walked over Tu and Myskina was playing too poor to be convincing.

Rub
May 24th, 2005, 01:50 PM

:lol::lol::lol:

kim knows what's good for her way better than us here people... i don't think her splits doesn't do any thing good for her game! i think it makes her one of the best retrievers on tour! :dance: and i'm always excited when kim does it... it makes her game more interesting to watch! :bounce:

myskina lost in the first round, kim won 6-0, 6-1... practice matches say nothing about playing in the real match... :wavey: