PDA

View Full Version : Maria Sharapova Excited About Possibility Of Moscow Hosting 2012 Olympic Games

tennisIlove09
May 22nd, 2005, 12:36 AM
MARIA SHARAPOVA EXCITED ABOUT POSSIBILITY OF MOSCOW HOSTING 2012 OLYMPIC GAMES

Moscow, Friday 20 May 2005: Maria Sharapova, one of the world's top female tennis players, has reaffirmed her support for Moscow's bid to host the 2012 Games.

Just days before the French Open kicks-off in Paris, the 18-year-old Russian sports star, who last year took the trophies at Wimbledon and the WTA Championships, said: "I'm really excited about competing at Roland Garros next week – it's a great tournament – and I'm also very excited about the possibility of Moscow hosting the 2012 Olympic and Paralympic Games."

Maria Sharapova became an international ambassador for the Moscow 2012 Olympic and Paralympic Games bid in January this year. Along with other sports stars who are official Moscow 2012 ambassadors – including gymnast Svetlana Khorkina and boxing champion Kostya Tszyu – she will be crossing her fingers on 6 July when the members of the International Olympic Committee vote to choose the Host City for the 2012 Games at the 117th IOC Session in Singapore.

Shonami Slam
May 22nd, 2005, 12:44 AM
hosting the olympics again is a step backwards for russia.
no need to prove they are still more commy than china, they are already estebleshed as a democracy in the eyes of the western world.
hosting is for countries that need to prove themselves, not those that have already proven - i totally object re-hosting like in the US, australia, and even greece. there are plenty countries that can do it.
i'd like to see the games in africa, i'd like to see estonia, lithuania and latvia hosting together, i'd like to see the games in scandinavia or india.

Stamp Paid
May 22nd, 2005, 12:46 AM
'b' please. :lol: :lol:

Junex
May 22nd, 2005, 12:49 AM
no need to prove they are still more commy than china, they are already estebleshed as a democracy in the eyes of the western world.
hosting is for countries that need to prove themselves, not those that have already proven - i totally object re-hosting like in the US, australia, and even greece. there are plenty countries that can do it.
i'd like to see the games in africa, i'd like to see estonia, lithuania and latvia hosting together, i'd like to see the games in scandinavia or india.

Its all about how much monetary revenue the host country gets in the long term.
Olympic games has become so commercialized that hosting it is more of an economic boost than national pride!

tenn_ace
May 22nd, 2005, 03:12 AM

Africa? no way. African countries should spend money (if they do have any) on education/health/social programs instead wasting on Games.

tenn_ace
May 22nd, 2005, 03:13 AM
'b' please. :lol: :lol:

that was hillarious. can't stop laughing :rolleyes:

Derek.
May 22nd, 2005, 03:17 AM

Most of those countries will probably never host the Olympics. India would be a good one though. :D

Stamp Paid
May 22nd, 2005, 03:19 AM
Africa? no way. African countries should spend money (if they do have any) on education/health/social programs instead wasting on Games.

yes, all of Africa. Every single country on the continent...:tape:

Hmm, I wonder how much the Olympic Games revenue could do to a country that didnt have money for education/health/social programs... :scratch:

pcrtennis
May 22nd, 2005, 03:24 AM
I honestly don't think Russia deserves it.....

cartmancop
May 22nd, 2005, 03:42 AM
I guess I would be selfish to ask for the Olympics to come back to Atlanta anytime soon:), b/c it is less than 2 hrs from where I live....

but I was Sooo young when they were here & wasn't interested in tennis, all I saw was the Gold & Bronze medal women's soccer.....

The torch actually came through my home town(which is tiny so it was a HUGE deal) :)

lucashg
May 22nd, 2005, 03:49 AM
That's cute, but I want Paris.

silverwhite
May 22nd, 2005, 05:09 AM
That's cute, but I want Paris.

Me too. L'Amour Des Jeux. :hearts: :lol:

tenn_ace
May 22nd, 2005, 05:13 AM
yes, all of Africa. Every single country on the continent...:tape:

Hmm, I wonder how much the Olympic Games revenue could do to a country that didnt have money for education/health/social programs... :scratch:

name me one country which is wealthy enough to organize Olympic Games... i.e. as wealthy as Greece, Australia, etc. Or if you don't come up with one, maybe you know a country which had a better infrastructure (transportation, stadiums, etc), than Greece... Please do.

and speaking of revenues, in the past 30 years, only LA, Atlanta and Barcelona Games were profitable, so don't hold yoour breath, unless of course you'd suggest to organize winter games somewhere in sub-Sahara :rolleyes:

tenn_ace
May 22nd, 2005, 05:14 AM
I honestly don't think Russia deserves it.....

and that's based on what? :scratch:

let me take a guess, you think that USA does deserve it, right?

goldenlox
May 24th, 2005, 02:47 PM
I guess I would be selfish to ask for the Olympics to come back to Atlanta anytime soon:), b/c it is less than 2 hrs from where I live....

but I was Sooo young when they were here & wasn't interested in tennis, all I saw was the Gold & Bronze medal women's soccer.....

The torch actually came through my home town(which is tiny so it was a HUGE deal) :)Sveta's brother won a silver medal in Atlanta in cycling.