PDA

View Full Version : Trabert, Federer, Myskina To Receive ITF Honors In Paris

tennisIlove09
May 21st, 2005, 04:24 PM
Trabert, Federer, Myskina To Receive ITF Honors In Paris
http://www.sportsmediainc.net/tennisweek/TrabertTony.jpg
Tony Trabert By Tennis Week
05/19/2005

International Tennis Hall of Fame president and Grand Slam champion Tony Trabert will return to the city where he captured consecutive Roland Garros championships in 1954-55 to receive a prestigious honor.
Trabert will be be presented with the Philippe Chatrier Award, the International Tennis Federation’s highest honor, recognizing individuals for their contribution to tennis in a ceremony in Paris on Tuesday, May 31st at the ITF's World Champions Dinner.

Yannick Noah, who won the 1983 Roland Garros title and led both the French Davis Cup and Fed Cup teams to championships, was the Philippe Chatrier Award winner last year. Billie Jean King received the award in 2003.

The ITF World Champions Dinner will honor top-ranked Roger Federer and reigning Roland Garros champion Anastasia Myskina as the 2004 ITF World Champions.

Federer was the ITF Junior Boys World Champion in 1998 and is the fifth player since the award was established in 1978 to have earned both honors, joining Ivan Lendl, Stefan Edberg, Martina Hingis and last year's ITF World Champion, Andy Roddick.

Bob Bryan and Mike Bryan and Spain's Virginia Ruano Pascual and Paola Suarez of Argentina will be honored as the ITF Doubles World Champions for 2004.

The Bryans, the 2003 ITF World Doubles Champions, beat out Mark Knowles and Daniel Nestor based on their consistent performance in 2004 that featured seven tournament titles, including the successful defense of the Tennis Masters Cup crown, and three finals, including the Australian Open. The twins were undefeated in Davis Cup play as the United States advanced to the Davis Cup final, falling to Spain.

Ruano Pascual and Suarez earned World Champion honors for the third consecutive year.

Related story: The Tennis Week Interview: Tony Trabert (http://www.sportsmediainc.com/tennisweek/index.cfm?func=showarticle&newsid=10494)he Tennis Week Interview:

controlfreak
Jun 14th, 2005, 01:22 PM
I'm a big Myskina fan but I'm not exactly sure what she's done to merit the title of "2004 ITF World Champion". As far as I can tell she:
-won RG
-reached a QF, 3R & 2R in the other slams
-won Doha & Moscow
-had various other good showings
-was ranked as high as #2

Well that's pretty good actually but there were several other strong contenders in 2004, not least the other Slam-winners/finalists Sharapova, Kunzetsova, Dementieva, Henin, and Davenport too.

I guess my doubts are just a reflection of the fact that in 2004 the honours were mostly shared out between a number of players, each one achieving great but not seriously jaw-dropping results. It just seems weird to win alongside Federer who won practically everything that year.

Still, I'm glad she got it because the 2004 Myskina was a player in pretty hot form, and the award sums up the highest point of her career so far. Here's hoping she gets in the running for another one some day!

_LuCaS_
Jun 14th, 2005, 02:18 PM
I'm a big Myskina fan but I'm not exactly sure what she's done to merit the title of "2004 ITF World Champion". As far as I can tell she:
-won RG
-reached a QF, 3R & 2R in the other slams
-won Doha & Moscow
-had various other good showings
-was ranked as high as #2

Add
-Fed Cup title
-Olympics SF
and she deserves it :yeah:

anyway this has been discussed over and over ... it's history now

goldenlox
Jun 14th, 2005, 02:48 PM
This event occurred on May 31st.

http://img157.echo.cx/img157/7615/u704p6t12d1591750f44dt20050601.jpg

rightous
Jun 14th, 2005, 08:42 PM
Gee Myskina looks really hot there, I kinda thought that she would dress a little more gothic, even Roger looks hot there as well:)

So who is hotter Roger or Myskina, you decide?

Spunky83
Jun 14th, 2005, 08:50 PM
Gee Myskina looks really hot there, I kinda thought that she would dress a little more gothic, even Roger looks hot there as well:)

So who is hotter Roger or Myskina, you decide?

It´s weird but one makes the other looking better somehow...like you know strawberry and cream, strawberry´s are great and cream´s great as well, but mix both and you have something which is greater than great :drool:

rightous
Jun 14th, 2005, 09:11 PM
It´s weird but one makes the other looking better somehow...like you know strawberry and cream, strawberry´s are great and cream´s great as well, but mix both and you have something which is greater than great :drool:

exactly I know what you mean:) but i like strawberries and cream;)

sartrista7
Jun 14th, 2005, 09:14 PM
Well done tennisIlove, top-notch journalism there: posting a story saying that something's about to happen...a week after the event was done and dusted :o

Nastya and Roger are so great, though :hearts:

Spunky83
Jun 14th, 2005, 09:16 PM
exactly I know what you mean:) but i like strawberries and cream;)

Nahh...to be honest I just needed a good example... :lol: I loooove strawberries but can´t eat cream due to health problems. But thx that you get the point;)

GoDominique
Jun 14th, 2005, 09:17 PM
Well done tennisIlove, top-notch journalism there: posting a story saying that something's about to happen...a week after the event was done and dusted :o

Nastya and Roger are so great, though :hearts:Look at the date. :secret:

sartrista7
Jun 14th, 2005, 09:21 PM
I wish people wouldn't bump old threads up at random. It makes me worry about their lives.

controlfreak
Jun 14th, 2005, 09:28 PM
I had to bump it for WNTP. But you are right to be concerned about my life...

Dana Marcy
Jun 14th, 2005, 09:32 PM
Trabert, Federer, Myskina To Receive ITF Honors In Paris
http://www.sportsmediainc.net/tennisweek/TrabertTony.jpg
Tony Trabert By Tennis Week
05/19/2005

International Tennis Hall of Fame president and Grand Slam champion Tony Trabert will return to the city where he captured consecutive Roland Garros championships in 1954-55 to receive a prestigious honor.
Trabert will be be presented with the Philippe Chatrier Award, the International Tennis Federation’s highest honor, recognizing individuals for their contribution to tennis in a ceremony in Paris on Tuesday, May 31st at the ITF's World Champions Dinner.

Yannick Noah, who won the 1983 Roland Garros title and led both the French Davis Cup and Fed Cup teams to championships, was the Philippe Chatrier Award winner last year. Billie Jean King received the award in 2003.

The ITF World Champions Dinner will honor top-ranked Roger Federer and reigning Roland Garros champion Anastasia Myskina as the 2004 ITF World Champions.

Federer was the ITF Junior Boys World Champion in 1998 and is the fifth player since the award was established in 1978 to have earned both honors, joining Ivan Lendl, Stefan Edberg, Martina Hingis and last year's ITF World Champion, Andy Roddick.

Bob Bryan and Mike Bryan and Spain's Virginia Ruano Pascual and Paola Suarez of Argentina will be honored as the ITF Doubles World Champions for 2004.

The Bryans, the 2003 ITF World Doubles Champions, beat out Mark Knowles and Daniel Nestor based on their consistent performance in 2004 that featured seven tournament titles, including the successful defense of the Tennis Masters Cup crown, and three finals, including the Australian Open. The twins were undefeated in Davis Cup play as the United States advanced to the Davis Cup final, falling to Spain.

Ruano Pascual and Suarez earned World Champion honors for the third consecutive year.

Related story: The Tennis Week Interview: Tony Trabert (http://www.sportsmediainc.com/tennisweek/index.cfm?func=showarticle&newsid=10494)he Tennis Week Interview:

Congratulations to all especially Vivi and Paola. :yeah:

I don’t know too much about tennis history :o but I have heard of Tony Trabert over the years. In fact, where I really became familiar with Mr. Trabert was when he was commentator for the US Open on CBS. (He called some matches during the first weekend). I really liked his style of commentating because he was conversational (as if a close uncle or cousin was talking to you about tennis) AND more importantly he wasn’t biased towards any player (unlike McEnroe and Carillo :rolleyes: ). He explained things like the tautness of racquet strings without putting you to sleep. :lol: I wish I was there to see this ceremony in Paris because I admire Mr. Trabert. :)

rightous
Jun 14th, 2005, 09:48 PM
Nahh...to be honest I just needed a good example... :lol: I loooove strawberries but can´t eat cream due to health problems. But thx that you get the point;)

Well I like strawberries as well:)

Zippy
Jun 14th, 2005, 11:28 PM
My sig tells us who the REAL (or at least most DESERVING) 2004 Player of the Year is :cool:

enough said...

controlfreak
Jun 15th, 2005, 01:47 AM
Sorry dude, I turned off sigs on like my second day after joining WTAWorld, so I've been missing out on your supplemental wisdom all this time.

Zippy
Jun 15th, 2005, 05:11 AM
Sorry dude, I turned off sigs on like my second day after joining WTAWorld, so I've been missing out on your supplemental wisdom all this time.
Well C-Freak, your troubles are over. You shall miss out no more ;)

:bounce:Justine Henin-Hardenne:bounce:
:angel: The Real 2004 PLAYER OF THE YEAR :angel:
Won 5 out of 9 Tournaments :eek:
Went 2-0 H2H that year against the "selected *coughs* POY" :p
Won more Titles than ANY player that year, which included 2 more Titles than the "selected POY" :worship:
:dance: Serena Williams :dance: Kim Clijsters :dance: Venus Williams :dance:
Sharapova: Great player and all, but honestly, people’s perception of her “fabulous looks” are highly exaggerated.

Kelly
Jun 15th, 2005, 03:40 PM
thanks for the artical....nice to know that some tennis players win meaningful awards based on merit other than there ass