PDA

View Full Version : For VENUS FANS: The Breakdown- Let's Discuss

Foot_Fault
May 21st, 2005, 03:23 PM
I dont know how long this will be up before the haters come in and mess it up...but Lets break it down anyway. As the 11 seed she has a pretty decent draw Venus can get deeper than expected in this Tournament...Let's break down her path.
http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20050521/capt.ist10205211534.turkey_tennis_istanbul_cup_ist 102.jpg

Rd. 1
Marta Marrero
(Played her this week, beat her Love and Love. See much of the same happening in Paris, may not be the same scoreline but a win nonetheless.)

Rd. 2
Fabiola Zuluaga
(If I am not mistaken Venus took a love set off her before ON CLAY. Should get into so good Clay Court Rhythm here. I forecast a win here as well)

Rd. 3
Shinobu Asogoe
(Crafty player, playing Zulu may help her in this match, both are really better on faster surfaces, but at this stage i think Venus patience may win this match for her)

Rd.4
Anastacia Myskina
(Myskina has been very Mysterious this year, losing to ppl she shouldn't and playing very uninspired. I have NO IDEA how she is going to come out, can only on current form, Gut and Heart says Venus will pull this one out...If Myskina makes it that far.

Rd. QF
Elena Dementieva
(Toughest test so far. Mostly in Venus' hand, she has to control the court from the return of serve, IF she can keep Dementieva off Balance on her return game, Venus should secure enough breaks to win this match. However the key is Venus' Serve holding up over 60%. We all know how lethal Dementieva is from the Ground, Venus has an excellent chance but will have to remain focus, move forward and attack those weak serves, not so much with pace, but with precision of being one shot ahead of Elena to keep her off balance.) If Venus is Serving 60% or better, moving forward and keeping ED's Serve in Check I actually she her winning this in 2 sets.

Rd. SF's
Lindsay Davenport
(How can you NOT pick the #1 player in the world to make it deep into a GS event, I love Kim and Kim has Davenport's #, but we don't know how Kim is playing, which may even be better for Venus b/c she LOVES the balls fed off Kims racket. Bounce right in Venus' strike zone. However, with Davey, it depends on how she is feeling in the match. If she is thinking clearly, I pick her. If Venus is hitting the ball well and serving well and willing to Move Lindsay around, hit drop shots and make her run, Venus wins. When Venus is controlling the court, she beats Davenport everytime.) An inspired Patty may sneak in to mix up the pot a lil. Every year there is a surprised Semifinalist or Finalist...lets hope Venus is that surprise this year.

Final Round
Amelie Mauresmo/Justine
(this is her year, but we've said that every year b/c of her God Given rigged Draws. If her head is into the WIN she will win. But Justine can also slip through here and she and Venus has matched up for a LONG while...could be interesting. I would love for Venus/Henin final or Venus/Mauresmo final and speaking as a fan. Ofcourse with venus being the Victor.

Venus has a great shot, but so do others. Her play this week in Turkey was inspiring, did it give her the confidence she needs to go in and play HER GAME, not her opponents. That is the Key w/ Venus. Serving and Conversions. If she take her opportunities...she's well on her way.

I Believe, any other Venus fans do?

jimbo mack
May 21st, 2005, 03:28 PM
i think we should take it one match at a time

lets just focus with her match with marta for now, which hopefully venus will win nice and easily

after all, thats the only match up listed that is guaranteed

No Name Face
May 21st, 2005, 03:31 PM
I'm looking forward to the Venus/Dementieva QF. It'll be good to see if Venus will avenge her Hong Kong loss.

I think Venus should make it to the QF, and if Dementieva doesn't stop her, I want her to go all the way.

VeeReeDavJCap81
May 21st, 2005, 03:33 PM
Looks like Dementieva will be Venus' toughest opponent in the draw. I don't know why Venus always has trouble with her. Serena usually CRUSHES her....In fact she's NEVER taken a set off Serena.

veronica
May 21st, 2005, 03:36 PM
The challenge with Dementieva, Davenport and Clijsters is going to be Venus' fitness. Also if she can go on the offensive instead of always be defensive. Last time I saw Venus play a match she was always being run back and forth and then making errors on forehand side when she gets out of position.

A lot of balls come back from Elena D and Kim - Venus has to be patient. Also she needs to go deep with her return but not necessarily go for the winner. If she hits a lot of returns in the net going for too much - its over. Serena did this well in 2002 - putting opponent on the run with deep balls in the corner and lots of angles - forcing the error not going for winners so much.

Venus can do this she has to serve well, be patient and stay tough. Plus get ready to play lots of defense but stay inside the baseline and fire away - ala - Monica Seles!!!! Run these girls side to side Venus!!!!! If they start centering the ball punish them by making them run !!!

tennisIlove09
May 21st, 2005, 03:37 PM
I have faith. I actually think Lindsay in the SF is a stretch, considering Clijsters in the 4th. However...regardless I believe Vee will win!

No Name Face
May 21st, 2005, 03:39 PM
Looks like Dementieva will be Venus' toughest opponent in the draw. I don't know why Venus always has trouble with her. Serena usually CRUSHES her....In fact she's NEVER taken a set off Serena.

This is true, but Venus and Dementieva have similar builds and similar games. Venus has a way better serve and Dementieva has a way better forehand...their backhands and net game are pretty much comparable (Venus with the slight edge) but Dementieva has superior movement and anticipation.

The reason why ED has so much trouble with Serena is because Lena tends to tone down her offensive game against Serena (for whatever reason). Serena isn't miles better than her, I think Lena just has a mental block against her...similar to Myskina. If Lena can beat Venus and Davenport who can beat Serena, then it's logical to assume she COULD win against Serena...

Elldee
May 21st, 2005, 03:42 PM
Firstly, I predict Asagoe will be upset before the third round because her clay court game leaves a lot to be desired.

I have a feeling Myskina will do well here and rediscover her form so I'm not sure about that fourth round encounter... Venus should win and she needs to be consistent throughout and get off to a good start to bash Myskina's confidence. If she beat Myskina there's no reason why she can't beat Dementieva too. She beat Myskina in Antwerp too when not playing great tennis but Myskina trounced Venus at least years French...

I'd predict a semi.

As well as cutting down her errors, she needs to cut out loose games.. I think Lindsay broke Venus to love to secure both the second and third sets in Amelia Island.

tennnisfannn
May 21st, 2005, 03:42 PM
I just want venus to win every match. Several matches to look foreward too and this really is a doable draw for her all the way to the semis. She has played soem inspired tennis this year and then lot focus the very next day. Hope she keeps her cool right thru.
I believe she will find form eventually, every player does, no one slumps forever unless severely injured. Venus' time is now.

Foot_Fault
May 21st, 2005, 03:49 PM
This is true, but Venus and Dementieva have similar builds and similar games. Venus has a way better serve and Dementieva has a way better forehand...their backhands and net game are pretty much comparable (Venus with the slight edge) but Dementieva has superior movement and anticipation.

The reason why ED has so much trouble with Serena is because Lena tends to tone down her offensive game against Serena (for whatever reason). Serena isn't miles better than her, I think Lena just has a mental block against her...similar to Myskina. If Lena can beat Venus and Davenport who can beat Serena, then it's logical to assume she COULD win against Serena...

Some people games just match up well for others...
Take for instance Jennifer Cap vs. Serena and JCap vs. Venus. Venus Loves the pace. Serena is more Angular than Venus, so when she plays someone like JCap, she tries to do to much and finds herself in a dog fight...Venus total opposite with JCap.

Same with Lena D. She is a tad bit more consistent from the Ground than Venus, so where Venus is trying to End the point, Serena is trying to WORK the point.

When it comes to Elena D on clay, Venus has to do 4 things.
#1. Play HER GAME
#2. Attack her Weak serve, not with Winners but with offbalacing placement
#3. Serve 60% or Better, When Venus is serving well she's playing well
#4. Remain PATIENT

Those things will help her secure enough breaks to defeat her in 2 sets.

CJ07
May 21st, 2005, 04:13 PM
the main thing for Venus is maintaining focus throughout a match. her problem is she's had bad games and bad points, and not being able to recover

honestly thats the only big difference mentally from now and a few years ago...because technically she is more sound than she was a few years ago

TonyP
May 21st, 2005, 04:15 PM
Nice analysis. Reasonable, too.

hingis-seles
May 21st, 2005, 04:50 PM
Good analysis, Foot_Fault. However, considering that Asagoe, Myskina and Dementieva do get upset before their match-ups with Venus, is there anyone else in the section that would pose any sort of threat to Venus? I scanned over the draw so am not too sure myself, but I think Mary Pierce is in there somewhere. Though, Venus did crush her at Roland Garros last year (or was it in 2003?).

I think that the Istanbul title will give Venus a confidence boost, and she won't be tired either since all her wins were rather lopsided. However, will the quality of opposition Venus will face in the early round at RG be any higher-quality than what she had to face all week in Turkey?

harloo
May 21st, 2005, 05:20 PM

Serena's serve is miles better than hers and that weakness is what prevents Dementieva from challenging Serena. It's no mental block either, it's a serve block. Serena plays agressive and her game centers around the serve which prevents Dementieva from getting a rhythm. I've seen many times how Dementieva folds against a superior serve.

slydevil6142
May 21st, 2005, 05:25 PM
I honestly think Venus has a great shot this year. Im hoping that all the hard work shes been putting into her game finally pays off. As far as her draw goes .... I think its a really nice draw seeing that shes the 11th seed heck this draw is better than some shes had when she was seeded number 1. If she plays her game and doesnt allow some of her mental issues to get in the way I really dont see why she cant take home grand slam 5. Heres to hoping Venus does the best she can do!!

tennisIlove09
May 21st, 2005, 05:32 PM
Dementieva ALWAYS troubles Venus? Really? Odd. I clearly remember a clear 6-2 6-4 win once for Venus. A 6-0 6-3 victory once for Venus. I think Venus also won a three setter like 57 63 62 in Miami. And then Dementieva beat her once 63 57 76 in Miami...which was soon after Vee's comeback.

Elldee
May 21st, 2005, 05:35 PM
Serena's serve is miles better than hers and that weakness is what prevents Dementieva from challenging Serena. It's no mental block either, it's a serve block. Serena plays agressive and her game centers around the serve which prevents Dementieva from getting a rhythm. I've seen many times how Dementieva folds against a superior serve.

Even when Serena was serving weirdly and at half pace at the YEC's the best Dementieva could do was 6-7 5-7. Granted, Dementieva wasn't playing well that week but Serena wasn't particularly either until the SF.

Paneru
May 21st, 2005, 05:53 PM
Personally, I'm just looking at it
one match at a time.

What I have loved about Venus all this week in Istanbul
is that she's been happy. I mean genuinely happy and playing well.

Think she seems to have recharged
her batteries.

Granted the Istanbul field wasn't deep by any stretch but had some solid up-and-comer's. As someone pointed out a few days ago, Venus was maintaining her concentration in these match and not losing focus and giving away easy games making things difficult for herself. The 12 games won off of her by her opponents were games they had to earn with good play.

I sense the confidence growing for her and I think that's
what Istanbul did while giving her some solid practice for RG.

Also liked that the weather was dodgy during a couple of her matches.
She had to play in such conditions as wind, drizzle/rain, ect...and maintain
good play and keep herself in those long rallies that came and rallies she's been able to win.

One more thing, I also like the fact that her groove won't be disrupted and she won't get cold because it's just one day off and then right back on the courts monday for play.

Wishing her all the best in a tournament I know she can win and
will enjoy and be cheering her on!

Oh, just one more thing, honest! :lol:

Her body is holding up, especially her lower body which is
great and with the conditions that look to lye ahead in
Paris I pray for continued good health! :D

Dawn Marie
May 21st, 2005, 05:56 PM
Only thing I can breakdown Footfault is that at the moment we don't know what were gonna get with Venus.

I am glad she won Istanbul but I can see Vee getting upset early at RG.

Bottom Line:

Until Venus hires a new coach to work on her weaknesses I am not even going to predict what she will do at RG. Venus's is erratic and the title that she won today will not change my mind. Right now I just don't know what I am gonna get from Vee day to day. Her forehand can be smokin one day then her serve can break down the next.

I can see venus winning RG and I can see her losing it. I am a Venus fan in LIMBO.

FEARLESS VENUS RULES!!

GO VENUS just take each match day to day and be CONFIDENT!! Hire BJK as a coach though.. Please!!

Foot_Fault
May 21st, 2005, 05:58 PM
Even when Serena was serving weirdly and at half pace at the YEC's the best Dementieva could do was 6-7 5-7. Granted, Dementieva wasn't playing well that week but Serena wasn't particularly either until the SF.

Focus People, Focus. This is about Venus! LOL:lol:

How did Serena get so much love in this Thread? LOL.

Anywho, what i am sensing from this thread is that if she can Hurdle Dementieva....(and Hingis-Seles, you're right bout Pierce!!!) her super competitive nature may kick in.

3 Good things are riding with Venus here....
1. She is coming off some good match play(at a lower level) giving her some rhythm and confidence.
2. She has a decent draw given her seeding where she can play her way into the tournament.
3. The most important, She is flying under the radar. There will be VERY LITTLE PRESSURE on her, so much to the point she can open her shoulders and swing. With Davenport, Henin, Sharapova, Clijsters and Momo getting all the female press Venus will finally be able to play pressureless tennis to some standard of expectation from the Media. Whether we admit it or not, they put a huge stamp on things that add pressure. (i.e. Capriati 2001 Slam Run)

She's in a great spot.

GogoGirl
May 21st, 2005, 06:05 PM
All,

We don't want to miss the most important thing here - and that is "Skill." Venus has the skills to win anything - but just like w/most things - the skills have to come together at the right times. The talent has always been there. She needs no new coach. She has the right coaches - and I take issue w/anyone saying she doesn't. Where was BJK these last four matches?

It is about - it all coming together for any player when it counts - and on any given day. And when she does go all the way - I will ask - "Where in the world was BJK?"

Venus won what and how many? Where was BJK? She was in how many grand slam finals? Where was BJK? She won an Olympics singles and doubles' title. Where was BJK? It is and has always been up to Venus to practice and play the way she knows how - and execute what she already knows. She is lucky to have her parents. And oh - so is her 'lil sis.

Foot_Fault
May 21st, 2005, 06:12 PM
Only thing I can breakdown Footfault is that at the moment we don't know what were gonna get with Venus.

Bottom Line:

Until Venus hires a new coach to work on her weaknesses I am not even going to predict what she will do at RG. Venus's is erratic and the title that she won today will not change my mind. Right now I just don't know what I am gonna get from Vee day to day. Her forehand can be smokin one day then her serve can break down the next.

I can see venus winning RG and I can see her losing it. I am a Venus fan in LIMBO.

FEARLESS VENUS RULES!!

GO VENUS just take each match day to day and be CONFIDENT!! Hire BJK as a coach though.. Please!!

Sup Dawn,
Everyone knows how much I love Venus. And I believe. I believe. I believe. Although I understand your Frustrations, I don't understand your wavering Faith, that being said...you are entitled to feel that way.

I will love Venus SlamFul or SlamLess. She's my gal, been with her for a Long Long time and will continue to be well after her career has ceased. We all want the best for our faves, and in SPORT "shit happens"

Lindsay Davenport...for a period of about 3 1/2 years, SLUMPED finally got healthy and played her way out of it...28yrs old

Jennifer Capriati...for a period of 6 years in a MAJOR life changing slump. Found some confidence, played her way to #1 in the world.25 yo

Andre Agassi...slipped to 200+ in the world, slumped for about 3 years....found his form and his game...Slamful and #1 in the World 29yo

Pete Sampras...was being forced to retire, called washed up, Slamless for a few years titleless for a couple years. It finally clicked for him AT A SLAM.30yo

So Great players go through this it's Sport. She will find it all again, it will come back and amaze even her Loyal fans. I have faith in Venus as do she in herself. She'll be alright, she's only 24.

thelittlestelf
May 21st, 2005, 06:16 PM
I really think that Venus has a GREAT chance at the title, but I do NOT want to jinx it.

We'll just take it one match at a time and see how things roll. I wish Venus the VERY best of luck :hearts:

Paneru
May 21st, 2005, 06:24 PM
I really think that Venus has a GREAT chance at the title, but I do NOT want to jinx it.

We'll just take it one match at a time and see how things roll. I wish Venus the VERY best of luck :hearts:

Exactly!

Stay in the moment and take it in as it
comes and put all else aside!

And I stay in the positive and don't get bogged
down by the outside negative.

You'll always have those who doubt you but all
that matters is how one feels about themselves.

So, all the best to Venus and I have full faith in
her and support my gal in her quest! :cool:

DEETHELICK
May 21st, 2005, 06:32 PM
Elena D is my fave, but I do like Venus too.

IF the projected Elena D vs Venus QF happens, that will be a key matchup within this section.

Venus needs to aggressively place her returns against Elena. I think many are expecting a 50 MPH serve from Elena, but those are a rarity now. Off the ground, Venus will have to be content with forsaking too much aggression and relying on solidness on the FH wing. Keep it deep and consistent.

Her serve percentage needs to be high, but I've seen 3 Elena vs Venus matches and Elena has NO problems with Venus' serve, especially her 2nd.

This match is going to rely on who is better off the ground. As of now, Elena is the best groundstroker on the tour with Lindsay (Jen too, but Jen ain't playing).

As for Serena, Elena is mentally weak against her. Yes the serve of Serena is awesome, however, Elena is able to break her and hit return winners. So it doesnt come just down to the serve.

Good luck Venus and Elena ;)

iWill
May 21st, 2005, 06:38 PM
I think Venus should take it one match at a time I think she has a REALLY REALLY good chance to make it to the quarters again. If Dementieva makes it as well that'll be a good match-up to see where her game is with the other top ten players. Besides if she doesnt get past the 4th round here she'll prolly be seeded at 10 or 11 again so she has to beat some of these people sometime and I think Venus knows it. With her first three rounds I'm pretty confident that she can get through Myskina since she beat her at the beginning of teh year at Antwerp and Myskina hasnt been on her game all year long. So I dont wanna jinx it but I easily see Venus in the QF.
GOOOOOOO VENUS!!!!!!!!!!

thelittlestelf
May 21st, 2005, 06:42 PM
Elena D is my fave, but I do like Venus too.

IF the projected Elena D vs Venus QF happens, that will be a key matchup within this section.

Venus needs to aggressively place her returns against Elena. I think many are expecting a 50 MPH serve from Elena, but those are a rarity now. Off the ground, Venus will have to be content with forsaking too much aggression and relying on solidness on the FH wing. Keep it deep and consistent.

Her serve percentage needs to be high, but I've seen 3 Elena vs Venus matches and Elena has NO problems with Venus' serve, especially her 2nd.

This match is going to rely on who is better off the ground. As of now, Elena is the best groundstroker on the tour with Lindsay (Jen too, but Jen ain't playing).

As for Serena, Elena is mentally weak against her. Yes the serve of Serena is awesome, however, Elena is able to break her and hit return winners. So it doesnt come just down to the serve.

Good luck Venus and Elena ;)Well, Elena had no problems with Venus's serve back in the Nasdaq 100 open last year, BUT Venus's serve has drastically improved since then IMO. Obviously Elena is a great returner against ANY server, however I'm sure that Venus will get more free points if in fact they do meet in the quarters than she did in their last match.

DEETHELICK
May 21st, 2005, 06:59 PM
Venus is going to win more free points of serve, however Elena stated something to the effect of she knows how to play Venus better now and that she liked returning her serve.

As many free points Venus is going to get from the serve, Elena will probably get just as many of Venus' FH wing as Elena knows how to attack it well.

I hope it happens as they play amazing matches. :)

G_Slammed
May 21st, 2005, 07:27 PM
Venus should be fine up until the quarterfinal, where Dementieva will likely be. It wouldn't be a surprise if Venus went down then cause Dementieva can out groundstroke Venus all day long.

GogoGirl
May 21st, 2005, 07:44 PM
All,

Venus leads Elena 3 to 1. Elena won 7-6 in the third in Miami 2004, so it could have gone either way. Venus won the Olympics' final between them in 2000 - so I wouldn't say Elena can outhit Venus on the groundstrokes all day long. Elena is a formidable foe for anybody - though - and she does have game. At this years French - I'd give the edge to Venus iffin they meet. But that's just me.

GogoGirl
May 21st, 2005, 07:53 PM
All,

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/olympics2000/racquet_sports/944306.stm

"COME TOGETHER RIGHT NOW OVA ME"

Diesel
May 21st, 2005, 07:54 PM
All,

"COME TOGEHTER RIGHT NOW OVA ME"

:worship: Great memories.

tennischick
May 21st, 2005, 07:56 PM
she definitely had a decent draw. she couldn't ask for a better one.

Foot_Fault
May 21st, 2005, 07:59 PM
All,

Venus leads Elena 3 to 1. Elena won 7-6 in the third in Miami 2004, so it could have gone either way. Venus won the Olympics' final between them in 2000 - so I wouldn't say Elena can outhit Venus on the groundstrokes all day long. Elena is a formidable foe for anybody - though - and she does have game. At this years French - I'd give the edge to Venus iffin they meet. But that's just me.

It's not just you GoGO. Elena is good, but her serve just dont hold up when it counts, b/c she gets EXTRA nervous. WHEN IT COUNTS. Same can be argued for Venus in the last 2 years off the ground WHEN IT COUNTS. But if i had to go wtih one, It would be Venus b/c she will get 5 to 8 free points a set with her serve alone be it aces or unreturnables.

Elena is Formidable but i will take Venus ANY DAY over her...Venus losing to Elena D is an upset imo.

Foot_Fault
May 21st, 2005, 08:02 PM
All,

"COME TOGETHER RIGHT NOW OVA ME"
Great read...but alot has changed w/ both their games since then. The Nasdaq could've went both ways, but Venus took herself out of it with senseless errors and serving erratically and still pushed it to the limit. So I would take Vee over ED anyday.

skanky~skanketta
May 21st, 2005, 08:02 PM
if she ends up playing davenport, i hope she doesn't end up playing davey's game.

Foot_Fault
May 21st, 2005, 08:05 PM
if she ends up playing davenport, i hope she doesn't end up playing davey's game.

I fear that as well, she has to play her game, she has to get out to a good start, exploit davenports movement w/ Dropshots and keeping her off balance. She can do it.

daffodil
May 21st, 2005, 08:25 PM
Venus has a decent draw. It will be her choice to win this tournament. I don't think Justine is better than Venus if she's at her best.

Knizzle
May 21st, 2005, 08:27 PM
All,

ED also beat her 7-6 in the third of a dead rubber in Fed Cup back in 99.

harloo
May 21st, 2005, 08:32 PM

Bottom Line:

FEARLESS VENUS RULES!!

Great Post! I agree 100%!

Julia1968
May 21st, 2005, 08:44 PM
Venus has a decent draw. It will be her choice to win this tournament. I don't think Justine is better than Venus if she's at her best.

Venus hasn't been at her best since the US Open 2001. What makes you think she'll put it out of her butt all of the sudden at a Grand Slam tournament she's never won????

A declining Venus is no match for the 2003 French Open Champion.

Oh, and congratulations to Venus on her first win in 13-months...a Tier III in the middle east.

harloo
May 21st, 2005, 08:45 PM
Venus hasn't been at her best since the US Open 2001. What makes you think she'll put it out of her butt all of the sudden at a Grand Slam tournament she's never won????

Oh, and congratulations to Venus on her first win in 13-months...a Tier III in the middle east.

You just had to swoop in this thread.:rolleyes:

Julia1968
May 21st, 2005, 08:48 PM
Venus has a great shot, but so do others. Her play this week in Turkey was inspiring

Venus has never won in Paris. I don't get the connection with an "inspiring" weak Tier III event in the middle east culminating into a win at the 2005 French Open.

Okay, even the Royal Court should have their "dream".

Good luck.

Infiniti2001
May 21st, 2005, 08:55 PM
Venus has never won in Paris. I don't get the connection with an "inspiring" weak Tier III event in the middle east culminating into a win at the 2005 French Open.

Good luck.

Some people just can't look away :rolleyes: Yes this is a public message board, but the thread starter particularly stated for Venus fans for crying out loud :fiery: What is it about the Williams sisters that gets your knickers all in a twist Julia?? Good Lord!!!

thelittlestelf
May 21st, 2005, 09:06 PM

Good luck.She played well in Istanbul and has a good draw in Paris.

Thank you for reading the thread title, btw.

Diesel
May 21st, 2005, 09:16 PM

Julia didn't tell you she's a devout Serena and Venus worshipper :confused: No other players keep her attention.

Brooks.
May 21st, 2005, 09:18 PM

Julia's song of the week: Bitch :wavey:

Knizzle
May 21st, 2005, 10:01 PM

She's the most important Venus fan.

Foot_Fault
May 21st, 2005, 10:33 PM
She's the most important Venus fan.

lol!:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

volta
May 22nd, 2005, 01:08 AM
yeah me 2.

omg i loved this topic till the part where that thing entered :o

Vee :hearts: :hearts: :hearts: :bounce: :bounce: hope she does well thats all i can say. i agree with 98% ofthe posts :lol:

Veenut
May 22nd, 2005, 02:25 AM
I concur with most of the comments, but I just want to take it one match at a time. She definately knows what she needs to do against each opponent because she is familiar with their games and enjoys a leading head to head against most. I think she is healthier than last year, therefore I expect her to do well. She has my full support and best wishes!!!

mboyle
May 22nd, 2005, 04:07 AM
Let's just say this: I take my Fantasy team very seriously. I have done very well in the tournaments I've played (picking an average of 3/4 semi-finalists, but I didn't know until Miami that we had 6 subs per month instead of per year, so I am ranked just above 100.) I picked Justine and Venus as my top two players at Roland Garros, even though I had enough money to choose any other player from last year's top ten (Juju was the obvious pick.)

mboyle
May 22nd, 2005, 04:08 AM
Oh and I am not biased. I didn't think Venus would win Istanbul.

Julia1968
May 22nd, 2005, 04:39 AM

What classless gutter talk. Not surprised.

Rocketta
May 22nd, 2005, 05:10 AM
What classless gutter talk. Not surprised.

well when talking about classless people of the gutter what other kind of talk is there? :confused:

Foot_Fault
May 22nd, 2005, 05:35 AM
well when talking about classless people of the gutter what other kind of talk is there? :confused:

OUCH!!!:tape: :tape:

GogoGirl
May 22nd, 2005, 11:46 PM
All,

My bad. Venus leads Elena 3-2. Elena did beat Venus at the Fed Cup - 7-6 in the third.

Anyway - I think each and every match for Venus and all players should not be taken for granted. That old adage that a player should not look ahead beyond said player's next match is so true. And that one about - a player is only as good as said player's last match is a good one. And - a player should just take one match at the time - is real.

Anyone got any other words of wisdom or words to live by as it pertains to tennis? Confucius says - "One who doesn't live in the moment - lives in one's shadow and behind the moment." LOL!

GogoGirl
May 22nd, 2005, 11:57 PM
All,

That one about a player is only as good as said player's last match is sooooo wrong. I meant - the player's last match is the freshest in said player's mind. My bad again.

UDiTY
May 23rd, 2005, 01:38 AM
Good Luck Vee!! :yeah:

I have confidence in her clay-court game!

I just wish her and Mysky weren't in the same 16:sad:

saki
May 24th, 2005, 03:06 PM
Not particularly a Venus fan, but this thread has some good analysis, so I hope you don't mind if I join in.. Not a hater, I promise!

For what it's worth, I'm expecting to see Patty make a good run at RG and it'll be interesting to see how she matches up against Venus. I've not seen a mention of Patty yet in this thread so I thought it was worth bringing up. I don't think head-to-head would tell us much about that match-up since Patty is incredibly inconsistent and Venus is currently also hard to predict.

*Karen*
May 24th, 2005, 04:10 PM
Her draw does look quite good. I agree she's got a good enough chance to reach the final but i think someone will upset her.

frenchie
May 24th, 2005, 04:22 PM
Yesterday I was at RG and I must say that I was really impressed with Kim's game. Of course she was playing Tu but Kim was incredible. She was hitting forehand and backhand winners from everywhere and she just kept running and running and...
I really consider Kim as Venus' most dangerous opponent, maybe with Patty

Foot_Fault
May 24th, 2005, 04:24 PM
Her draw does look quite good. I agree she's got a good enough chance to reach the final but i think someone will upset her.

There is always that possiblilty with any top player.
Look at Marsha today
Look at Justin today
Look at Myskina yesterday
Look at Safina yesterday
Look at Lindsay yesterday

So the possiblity is there. I dont know if anyone watched Venus television interview after the match.. there is a new look in her eye. Her Forhand was held up very nicely, I think she hit more FH winners than BH yesterday. She has gotten use to the idea the her Opponents will go to that side. Like I said earlier. If she keep her service precentage 60 and above and continue to venture to the net successfully (37 times yesterday and converted 87% of them) she will be tough to beat.

No, her draw is also opening up... Myskina's quarter is open for her and she has the key. Dementieva looms also Mary is playing well and Patty.

As the rounds advance I like Vee's chances and it's looking very promising. She needs to stay aggressive as she did yesterday.

Paneru
May 24th, 2005, 04:58 PM

Wow, you really are a die-hard
Venus fan! :lol:

Paneru
May 24th, 2005, 05:00 PM
Song of Julia's life! :cool:

Paneru
May 24th, 2005, 05:12 PM
Look at Marsha today
Look at Justin today
Look at Safina yesterday

So the possiblity is there. I dont know if anyone watched Venus television interview after the match.. there is a new look in her eye. Her Forhand was held up very nicely, I think she hit more FH winners than BH yesterday. She has gotten use to the idea the her Opponents will go to that side. Like I said earlier. If she keep her service precentage 60 and above and continue to venture to the net successfully (37 times yesterday and converted 87% of them) she will be tough to beat.

No, her draw is also opening up... Myskina's quarter is open for her and she has the key. Dementieva looms also Mary is playing well and Patty.

As the rounds advance I like Vee's chances and it's looking very promising. She needs to stay aggressive as she did yesterday.

So right!

Every top seed has a chance of being upset and we say it
with 4 or 5 top 10 seeds these past two days.

Like someone else said, just looking at it one match at a
time. From the interview it sounds as Venus is doing the
same and just going about her business.

I was impressed yesterday with Venus' forehand holding up so well!
I knew she was feeling good especially with repeated fh winners
and laser shots down the line!

She was moving very well and getting into the net very much.
She looked aggressive and looking to come in.

Also, she's become more and more comfortable in those long
rallies and holding her own as she was also doing in Istanbul.

Only not so good thing(not really bad) was her percentage of 1st serves.
Just has to get that up a bit because when it when in she was winning
most of the points. Saw a stat I think near end of 1st set where Venus
won 11 of 12 1st serve points and only 1 of 11 or so on second serve.

So, coming up against Zuluaga who she knows how to play I'd
say just keep playing the way she has and getting that 1st serve % up.

She looks good!

One step at a time.

Infiniti2001
May 24th, 2005, 05:16 PM
Jules, Vee has a message for you:

``I try not to listen to the talk because everyone can talk,'' she said ``But there are very few who can walk. So for all those who aren't, like, playing, I pay no mind.''

:lol: I so loved that quote, I had to use it as my siggy :lol:

DEETHELICK
May 24th, 2005, 06:39 PM
She looked better in her 2nd set yesterday, moving through her shots better, however when she plays a fellow power player, Venus could be in for a shock IMO.

I saw a bit of Elena D, her serve was solid, however the BHs that Elena was hitting were sizzling across the court. If this matchup happens, I can almost guarantee it will be a classic.

Lets hope they both make it that far! :)

V-MAC
May 24th, 2005, 06:46 PM
Look at Marsha today
Look at Justin today
Look at Safina yesterday

yeah I was really surprised with Vee playing at the net 37 times :eek: seems like a really good tactic for her as she possesses the most amazing (but under-used) volleys. anyway, lets keep it rolling Venus!!! :hearts: :bounce: :bounce:

GogoGirl
May 24th, 2005, 06:56 PM
Hey All,

Venus has just a good of a chance as any of the other players - and that includes upstarts. Remember Jelena Dokic @ Wimby? LOL! Seriously though, the only negative or critical thing I've ever said about Venus - is that she - and just like everybody else - hits the ball back to the other player or back down the middle at times. I've always wished that she would change the direction of the ball more. Other than that - she still has a very good chance to proceed - period.

Another thing that is a fact IMO - is that just because one player plays this or that way against another - and has the upper hand against same said player - doesn't mean that the next player they play will give them the same game - room - match and i.e, the same statistics. For the most part - I do look at head to heads. Although that in itself can never be the determining factor. Players that usually play each other tight - is another factor I look at.

Many of the top players have a chance to let it all hang out and hope their game comes together. And when Venus is on and playing like dynamite - she is as good as any other player in the league.

Anyone know the lineup of players she defeated to make it to the 2002 FO final?

"COME ON VENUS - LET'S LET IT ALL HANG OUT AND ON THE LINE" "PLAY LIKE YOU KNOW HOW TO DO IT"

lizchris
May 24th, 2005, 07:07 PM

Julia is like a venerial disease; she appears when you dont' want her to.

Back to the subject. Venus has a chance to win this just like anybody else. She is lucky that her draw is relatively easy now with Mykina out. Her only tough match up to the QF is going to ber her second round match and I say that it will be tough if she isn't consistent. That has been her problem, along with her weak second serve and her forehand. I think she has settled her forehand problems and the second serve isn't going to be much of an issue on the clay if her first serve holds up like it did in her first match. Zuluaga isn't the player she was last year and Venus should be able to win easily, but she must be consistent.

Paneru
May 24th, 2005, 07:14 PM

Back to the subject. Venus has a chance to win this just like anybody else. She is lucky that her draw is relatively easy now with Mykina out. Her only tough match up to the QF is going to ber her second round match and I say that it will be tough if she isn't consistent. That has been her problem, along with her weak second serve and her forehand. I think she has settled her forehand problems and the second serve isn't going to be much of an issue on the clay if her first serve holds up like it did in her first match. Zuluaga isn't the player she was last year and Venus should be able to win easily, but she must be consistent.

IMO, people spend way too much time worrying about
who it is that she plays, I say who cares.

She plays whomever she plays, no biggie.

She knows what she needs to win and if
she does it she will.

Why make things so complicated when
they need not be is all I'm saying.

Foot_Fault
May 24th, 2005, 07:35 PM

I think Mary Carillo stated this yesterday on the air... "Venus doesnt Need a KIND DRAW to go deep into a major. Her Game alone can take her there." She stated that on air.

So when you think about it, she plays who she was MEANT to play, it's not her fault if a player cant uphold his or her seeding, VENUS INCLUDED. She knows she is better than an 11 seed and will soon get herself in order. IN Venus' time, not ours and definately not the media's. I am optimistic about her chances WHENEVER and WHOEVER she plays...i dont conceded till i hear Game Set and Match, and she dont either.

Venus is very capable of playing 7 matches wtih tuff opposition.

No Name Face
May 24th, 2005, 07:38 PM
She looked better in her 2nd set yesterday, moving through her shots better, however when she plays a fellow power player, Venus could be in for a shock IMO.

I saw a bit of Elena D, her serve was solid, however the BHs that Elena was hitting were sizzling across the court. If this matchup happens, I can almost guarantee it will be a classic.

Lets hope they both make it that far! :)

i can't wait for the match...it's gonna be good. two of my favorites and relatively similar games. we'll have to see who's really better.

Veenut
May 24th, 2005, 08:02 PM
[QUOTE=Foot_Fault]I think Mary Carillo stated this yesterday on the air... "Venus doesnt Need a KIND DRAW to go deep into a major. Her Game alone can take her there." She stated that on air.

Yes, those were Mary's comments and I agree with her. I hope she starts her next match more aggressive and doesn't throw away her first service game like yesterday. Judging by the results of a few 1st rds, clay can be very unpredictable and no one has a gaurantee win. Anyway, Venus is quite capable and I will continue to root for her.

Foot_Fault
May 24th, 2005, 09:37 PM
[QUOTE=Foot_Fault]I think Mary Carillo stated this yesterday on the air... "Venus doesnt Need a KIND DRAW to go deep into a major. Her Game alone can take her there." She stated that on air.

Yes, those were Mary's comments and I agree with her. I hope she starts her next match more aggressive and doesn't throw away her first service game like yesterday. Judging by the results of a few 1st rds, clay can be very unpredictable and no one has a gaurantee win. Anyway, Venus is quite capable and I will continue to root for her.

yes, Venus was somewhat nervous at the start of yesterday's match, but she picked it up and was agressive. I agree with Mary as well, but Venus has to believe and i feel she does. We need to send her our positive energies.

Vee will get better and more comfortable as the tournament Progress'

RVD
May 24th, 2005, 10:15 PM
Julia is like a venerial disease; she appears when you dont' want her to.:lol: Naw, actually she's like fresh hidden doggie poo, which at worst can be a (smelly) temporary distraction. But I like that everyone wiped her off their shoes and kept moving. :haha:

Anyway...

Venus has been coming back for some time now, but I think the difference here and now is that she's finally put her life into perspective. When she stated..."I try not to listen to the talk because everyone can talk,'' she said ``But there are very few who can walk. So for all those who aren't, like, playing, I pay no mind'', I get the feeling that it was more than her brushing off the Haters, but more so ridding herself of past demons (read: sister's death, injuries, inconsistent form).
Her double-bageling at Istanbul was something that Venus never subjected past opponents to. And I certainly remember Serena stating some years ago that Venus was not like that. It's not that she couldn't, but that she wouldn't. I'm seeing a different player in Venus now. Someone who now goes for the jugular, and it's refreshing! :bounce: She's GOT o have that killer instinct out there!

As far as Patty and Dementieva is concerned...
If Venus makes that 78% net approach stat a regular part of her clay repertoire, then these players are a non-issue. Also, with Venus's forehand back on track and improved, she has a more than superb chance of willing this tourney.

Lastly, I like the fact that all the commentators have written her off, because whenever they've done that to a Williams sister, I get an added bonus of seeing them publicly eat crow. :lol:

lizchris
May 24th, 2005, 10:19 PM
:lol: Naw, actually she's like fresh hidden doggie poo, which at worst can be a (smelly) temporary distraction. But I like that everyone wiped her off their shoes and kept moving. :haha:

Either way, she is an uneeded distraction in a thread that is for Venus' fans.

Denise4925
May 24th, 2005, 10:35 PM
Also, Serena is one of the best returners in the league, so she breaks ED a lot with her return of serve. Venus just doesn't jump on that serve like she should. I think Venus needs a lot of pace on an opponents serve to return well, because she's used to hitting Serena's serve in practice. Remember, Venus had a lot more trouble with Hingis then Serena did. Hingis had absolutely no pace on her serve and Venus hardly ever took advantage of that, whereas Serena did. I think service pace has a lot to do with it.

Denise4925
May 24th, 2005, 10:42 PM
Sup Dawn,
Everyone knows how much I love Venus. And I believe. I believe. I believe. Although I understand your Frustrations, I don't understand your wavering Faith, that being said...you are entitled to feel that way.

I will love Venus SlamFul or SlamLess. She's my gal, been with her for a Long Long time and will continue to be well after her career has ceased. We all want the best for our faves, and in SPORT "shit happens"

Lindsay Davenport...for a period of about 3 1/2 years, SLUMPED finally got healthy and played her way out of it...28yrs old

Jennifer Capriati...for a period of 6 years in a MAJOR life changing slump. Found some confidence, played her way to #1 in the world.25 yo

Andre Agassi...slipped to 200+ in the world, slumped for about 3 years....found his form and his game...Slamful and #1 in the World 29yo

Pete Sampras...was being forced to retire, called washed up, Slamless for a few years titleless for a couple years. It finally clicked for him AT A SLAM.30yo

So Great players go through this it's Sport. She will find it all again, it will come back and amaze even her Loyal fans. I have faith in Venus as do she in herself. She'll be alright, she's only 24.
:worship: :worship: :worship: Everytime I get down about Vee I think about those you mentioned above and if they can do it, Venus can. :D

Denise4925
May 24th, 2005, 10:47 PM

Wow :eek: if Vee hasn't been her best since 2001, what does that say about everyone else but Serena in 2002 and 2003? :lol: Idgit. :p

Denise4925
May 24th, 2005, 10:50 PM
:lol:

Denise4925
May 24th, 2005, 10:57 PM
I think Mary Carillo stated this yesterday on the air... "Venus doesnt Need a KIND DRAW to go deep into a major. Her Game alone can take her there." She stated that on air.

Which I was VERY surprised to hear :eek: . I couldn't believe my ears, I had to rewind it to make sure I was hearing her correctly. :lol:

HAIL-VENUS
May 24th, 2005, 11:09 PM
Yeah, I did a double take on that comment by Mary as well. I just hope Venus stays consistent and go as far as we know she can. I honestly believe that Venus can win the French Open. And I know that if she plays the game that she played yesterday, she will win. So many things clicked for her. She had a really strong showing. And even Mary Carillo predicted that Venus would get the farthest out of the American women in the draw. Which really isn't saying too much, but what more can be expected from Mary? Anyway, I'm really pulling for her to win. Good Luck Venus. Keep up the good work.

Foot_Fault
May 24th, 2005, 11:10 PM
Which I was VERY surprised to hear :eek: . I couldn't believe my ears, I had to rewind it to make sure I was hearing her correctly. :lol:

I think most of the commentators are missing the flair that the Sisters brought to the game and eager as we are for them to get back to the TOP so they can start saying....Serena vs. Venus AGAIN!

LOL

Tennisaddict
May 25th, 2005, 01:04 AM
I agree with all posters in this thread who wrote that it's best to take it one match at a time. Venus is showing promise but I'm not going to speculate about a possible match-up in the the quarters against Dementieva when she has not even played her second round match. This is Roland Garros one of the most unpredictable slams IMO. Anything could happen. I believe that Venus can win the FO this year because she has the abilities of a true champion, I also believe that she can be upset in the early rounds because she has been troubled with inconsistency. Either way I hope that she will be as aggresive as possible in a controlled way, in all her matches and really take it to her opponents.
I've learned to not look ahead to much when Venus is playing a tournament nowadays , but I hope that Venus will surprise us fans, and play up to her potential which is more than enough for her to win the FO.

Julia, you are trying so hard to sound logical in order to justify your untrue remarks towards Venus, that you are tripping over your own feet. You seem to think/hope that Venus won't win the FO because she has never done it before, that remark seems ignorant and irrelevant to me since Capriati, Serena and Justine among others, have won the FO without winning it before. And why don't you try to read a thread title in full before entering it :rolleyes:. I guess you only read Venus' name and everything went blank in your brain after that, the automatic troll pilot started to kick in and before you knew it you were spewing your negative unwanted comments in here.
Well, for the record: YOU ARE NOT WELCOME IN THIS THREAD !!!!!!!

CJ07
May 25th, 2005, 03:14 AM
all I know is that if Venus keeps striking her forehand like that......y'all better watch out

mykarma
May 25th, 2005, 02:13 PM

Back to the subject. Venus has a chance to win this just like anybody else. She is lucky that her draw is relatively easy now with Mykina out. Her only tough match up to the QF is going to ber her second round match and I say that it will be tough if she isn't consistent. That has been her problem, along with her weak second serve and her forehand. I think she has settled her forehand problems and the second serve isn't going to be much of an issue on the clay if her first serve holds up like it did in her first match. Zuluaga isn't the player she was last year and Venus should be able to win easily, but she must be consistent.With Venus I don't think it's whose in her draw, it's Vee's lack of confidence. Once she gets her confidence back I think she'll be someone to be reckoned with. Although Vee won this morning, unless she improves all aspects of her game, she won't make it to the finals. :sad: Go Vee! Get it together girl.

mykarma
May 25th, 2005, 02:15 PM

So when you think about it, she plays who she was MEANT to play, it's not her fault if a player cant uphold his or her seeding, VENUS INCLUDED. She knows she is better than an 11 seed and will soon get herself in order. IN Venus' time, not ours and definately not the media's. I am optimistic about her chances WHENEVER and WHOEVER she plays...i dont conceded till i hear Game Set and Match, and she dont either.

Venus is very capable of playing 7 matches wtih tuff opposition.Great reality check.

lizchris
May 25th, 2005, 02:26 PM
With Venus I don't think it's whose in her draw, it's Vee's lack of confidence. Once she gets her confidence back I think she'll be someone to be reckoned with. Although Vee won this morning, unless she improves all aspects of her game, she won't make it to the finals. :sad: Go Vee! Get it together girl.

Her confience was there, I think because if it wasn't, she would have lost that third set, espeically after being down double break point on her opening service game of the final set. Having said that, she must work on getting more first serves in; if she does, I think she is hard to beat. IMO, I don't think her forehand was a big problem toady as Pam was making it out to be. BTW, though she was stretched to three sets today, she won more points on her second serve than she did in her first round match, so that is encouraging.

DEETHELICK
May 25th, 2005, 02:28 PM
It was a shaky win, but a win nonetheless.

The key for this quarter will be the projected Elena D vs Venus QF. Both can certainly make it through to that stage at least.

GogoGirl
May 25th, 2005, 09:53 PM
All,

Below are the draws for the 2002 French. I'd say Venus defeated some decent players to include Monica. Btw - is Monica playing WTT?

Again I say - let's break down everyone's UEs - and discuss why they made them. If a player makes 50 errors in a two-setter - what happened? I would say that anyone that makes errors can stand to work on this or that, and that stands true even during a match. They can try to correct things during a game - set or match.

I still say Venus must have played some clean matches in Instanbul - and I know she has played many of them in the past. She can do it again.

I agree w/the ones that say - why isn't Pam et al - cracking on several other players' games - errors - inconsistencies and what not? I mean - they are truly back to square one in a way and from the old days and times when they knocked Venus before she won 4 slams and 30 tourneys (and made the finals in four or five straight). How in the world did she do that? They act as if no other player makes errors - so they certainly won't take the time to compare and inspect each players' errors.

There are only a few shots where a person can make an error. Duh! So if Venus makes some on this or that hand - at the net - lobbing or whatever - she is still using one or both of her hands. That's all she gots. Her forehand was supposedly her drawback when she was dominating too - but she won more on that side than she missed - or she wouldn't already be in the record books as having won this, that - these and those.

Every player can improve this or that. I think what Pam and others don't like is the way Venus uses her forehand - or her technique. They just don't like it. But from what I used to see and have seen from her in two matches - that child can make that thing look great and lethal. It just has to be on. And just like w/any other players. Not once did I hear anyone comment on whom else needs to clean up their errors on this or that side. Don't they all need to try to correct some things and strokes if they want to improve and advance?

It really is ludicrious to keep harping on Venus's forehand. If it looks ugly to some or they don't like her stroke - or they think it breaks down too much, they need to move on. What stroke(s) are breaking down for others when they make errors? What was happening to Venus when she was missing on the backhand side and made errors? She was doing something not executable to where the ball stayed on the court and in play, and just like everyone else wasn't executing something properly when they missed. Remember the old mantra from five years ago? Venus and Serena make too many errors - so they'll never amount to nothing. When they win - they win ugly and so on and so forth. It really is sad that Venus is being singled out for making errors. I do declare!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tennis/french_open/2025584.stm

Foot_Fault
May 25th, 2005, 10:36 PM
Guys,

For those of us that play competitive tennis more than frequent let's break something down. Levels of play. In Venus' match today MaryJo said something that stuck with me and made perfect sense, b/c i've experienced it on court myself. You tend to match the Level of play of opponent.

Venus has played Zulu many times, and Zulu has played her hardest on clay. Last years Dirt Match in the 4th round was pretty tough for Venus. Venus' expectation was very high for the match. When she stepped out on court, she was alert, aware, moving forward and eager to take her opportunities, she was constantly trying to get inside the court. This was all negated by the fact that, Midway through the first set Zulu played like she was on the Junior circut, Spraying errors, and Venus quickly followed. MaryJo stated, that Many times when an opponents level drop so badly, yours does too. And when an Opponent level rises yours does as well(all relative) and i know this to be true.

The second set, Zulu mixed it up very well, loops, spins, and pace....Venus had no rhythm, the match had NO rhythm. She didnt play Venus' game she play her's and Venus QUICKLY adjusted to playing Zulu's game in the second set. She has to remain focused on EVERY Ball, not going out to lunch, she cant afford that.

Next round she will get pace and get a chance to get into a hitting rhythm with the Teenager. Should be interesting and Venus SHOULD come out of that match, we'll see.

Remember clay is a nutralizer....so expect the unexpected. Lindsay, Maria, Justine, Venus, Myskina, Dementieva have all struggled thus far, and I credit the opponent.

She will get it together. Those senseless UE's kill me though.

Winning ugly or Winning Pretty dont mater. As long as you are WINNING. She lives to fight another day.

Rocketta
May 25th, 2005, 10:51 PM
well I hope Venus is getting the feeling for winning ugly again because I think she has forgotten how. Even when she was at the top she would have a few matches where she won ugly. After her injury, she wasn't able to raise her level when she needed to pull her through these ugly matches. I hope she is getting that back as well as a more consistent forehand. :hehehe:

Denise4925
May 26th, 2005, 12:02 AM
I agree with all posters in this thread who wrote that it's best to take it one match at a time. Venus is showing promise but I'm not going to speculate about a possible match-up in the the quarters against Dementieva when she has not even played her second round match. This is Roland Garros one of the most unpredictable slams IMO. Anything could happen. I believe that Venus can win the FO this year because she has the abilities of a true champion, I also believe that she can be upset in the early rounds because she has been troubled with inconsistency. Either way I hope that she will be as aggresive as possible in a controlled way, in all her matches and really take it to her opponents.
I've learned to not look ahead to much when Venus is playing a tournament nowadays , but I hope that Venus will surprise us fans, and play up to her potential which is more than enough for her to win the FO.

Julia, you are trying so hard to sound logical in order to justify your untrue remarks towards Venus, that you are tripping over your own feet. You seem to think/hope that Venus won't win the FO because she has never done it before, that remark seems ignorant and irrelevant to me since Capriati, Serena and Justine among others, have won the FO without winning it before. And why don't you try to read a thread title in full before entering it :rolleyes:. I guess you only read Venus' name and everything went blank in your brain after that, the automatic troll pilot started to kick in and before you knew it you were spewing your negative unwanted comments in here.
Well, for the record: YOU ARE NOT WELCOME IN THIS THREAD !!!!!!!
:worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship:

iWill
May 26th, 2005, 12:12 AM
Guys,

For those of us that play competitive tennis more than frequent let's break something down. Levels of play. In Venus' match today MaryJo said something that stuck with me and made perfect sense, b/c i've experienced it on court myself. You tend to match the Level of play of opponent.

Venus has played Zulu many times, and Zulu has played her hardest on clay. Last years Dirt Match in the 4th round was pretty tough for Venus. Venus' expectation was very high for the match. When she stepped out on court, she was alert, aware, moving forward and eager to take her opportunities, she was constantly trying to get inside the court. This was all negated by the fact that, Midway through the first set Zulu played like she was on the Junior circut, Spraying errors, and Venus quickly followed. MaryJo stated, that Many times when an opponents level drop so badly, yours does too. And when an Opponent level rises yours does as well(all relative) and i know this to be true.

The second set, Zulu mixed it up very well, loops, spins, and pace....Venus had no rhythm, the match had NO rhythm. She didnt play Venus' game she play her's and Venus QUICKLY adjusted to playing Zulu's game in the second set. She has to remain focused on EVERY Ball, not going out to lunch, she cant afford that.

Next round she will get pace and get a chance to get into a hitting rhythm with the Teenager. Should be interesting and Venus SHOULD come out of that match, we'll see.

Remember clay is a nutralizer....so expect the unexpected. Lindsay, Maria, Justine, Venus, Myskina, Dementieva have all struggled thus far, and I credit the opponent.

She will get it together. Those senseless UE's kill me though.

Winning ugly or Winning Pretty dont mater. As long as you are WINNING. She lives to fight another day.

Those last two sentences are so true. I think it was Mary Carillo the other day that said people think its a bad thing when u havea tough first round match but its not because it can prepare you for what you will face in later rounds. Which is true. I think Venus should be happy with her win today and start focusing on her next opponent because for her to be able to step her game up in the 3rd set isnt something shes been able to do in a while. If she can continue to play and fight like that she definetley will make it into the second week of play.

thelittlestelf
May 26th, 2005, 12:39 AM
If Venus really wants to make it easy on herself, she HAS to commit to each shot and CANT hold back on her serve. When Venus is playing at her ugliest, these two things are IMO the biggest factors.

I know I said the same thing in another thread, but I really think there's no reason why she should drop a set in her next couple matches. If she does in fact meet Dementieva in the quarter, if she just commits to her shots and doesn't hold back on her serve there's no reason why she shouldn't win.

Good luck next round Venus!! Get the job done whatever way you know how :).

volta
May 26th, 2005, 12:42 AM
all I know is that if Venus keeps striking her forehand like that......y'all better watch out
Amen that forehand is so hard and powerfull i love that shot :hearts:

daffodil
May 26th, 2005, 01:23 AM
Amen that forehand is so hard and powerfull i love that shot :hearts:

I love her forehand 30% of the time. The other 70%, she hits out. :o

drapero
Jun 5th, 2005, 09:53 PM
What happenned ? Why discussion stopped ? It was a good read...

volta
Jun 5th, 2005, 10:21 PM
oh well lets see at Wimbledon but i donīt know iīm not expecting a thing from Vee but im still with her