PDA

View Full Version : REAL dominance

Calimero377
May 20th, 2005, 10:09 PM
As there is a lot of talk about "dominance" in women's tennis I checked which player dominated slams for a year-long time frame, eg. 5 or even 10 years. Dominating in my book means to win the majority of slams in those time frames.

Of course there are a lot of players who won the majority in ONE year (eg duPont in 49, Hingis in 97), in TWO years or even in THREE years (Connolly in 52-54, Seles in 90-92).

But who won more than 10 slams within a FIVE(!)-year time frame?
Let's have a look....

Court 11 slams in 69-73
Navi 12 slams in 82-86
Graf 11 slams in 92-96
:worship: :worship: :worship:

But the ultimate sign of greatness would be to have won more than 20 slams in a 1TEN(!!!)-year time frame. And who did this?

Graf 21 slams in 87-96 :eek:
And we even have to consider that Graf played only 36 of the 40 slams in that decade ...

Pengwin
May 20th, 2005, 10:14 PM
How did I manage to guess this thread was about Graf?

ezekiel
May 20th, 2005, 10:15 PM
let me be the first say that I didn't read this but I can only assume what it's about and all I can say is :ignore: :crazy: :zzz: :awww: :yawn:

ezekiel
May 20th, 2005, 10:19 PM
As there is a lot of talk about "dominance" in women's tennis I checked which player dominated slams for a year-long time frame, eg. 5 or even 10 years. Dominating in my book means to win the majority of slams in those time frames.

Of course there are a lot of players who won the majority in ONE year (eg duPont in 49, Hingis in 97), in TWO years or even in THREE years (Connolly in 52-54, Seles in 90-92).

But who won more than 10 slams within a FIVE(!)-year time frame?
Let's have a look....

Court 11 slams in 69-73
Navi 12 slams in 82-86
Graf 11 slams in 92-96

But the ultimate sign of greatness would be to have won more than 20 slams in a 1TEN(!!!)-year time frame. And who did this?

Graf 21 slams in 87-96 :eek:
And we even have to consider that Graf played only 36 of the 40 slams in that decade ...

Ok, now that I read it , can you please tell us which other player had their main rival stabbed and incapacitated for years besides Graf in any sport anywhere ?

Calimero377
May 20th, 2005, 10:20 PM

Because the thread's title is "REAL dominance"?

Calimero377
May 20th, 2005, 10:24 PM
Ok, now that I read it , can you please tell us which other player had their main rival stabbed and incapacitated for years besides Graf in any sport anywhere ?

You mean a rival incapacitated for 3 months which she leads 10-5 H2H (and even 5-2 while rival was #1)?

Maybe a player who had to endure a blackmail scandal for 2 years and a tax scandal for another 2 years?

Shenanigans
May 20th, 2005, 10:27 PM
You make me ashamed to be a Graf fan, yes Steffi was a great player and one of the best of all time.
Today's player have a huge respect for her Justine, Kim, Amelie, Lindsay etc But these players are the ones playing today and maybe in GM you should start talking about them and go to blast of the past to speak about Steffi.

JonBcn
May 20th, 2005, 10:29 PM
It's great being trapped in the mid-90s.

JenFan75
May 20th, 2005, 10:35 PM
You must lead a boring life if you can't get your head out of the eighties and nineties.

Calimero377
May 20th, 2005, 10:37 PM
You make me ashamed to be a Graf fan, yes Steffi was a great player and one of the best of all time.
Today's player have a huge respect for her Justine, Kim, Amelie, Lindsay etc But these players are the ones playing today and maybe in GM you should start talking about them and go to blast of the past to speak about Steffi.

BOTP is as lively as Chicago's central cemetery ...

Calimero377
May 20th, 2005, 10:39 PM
You must lead a boring life if you can't get your head out of the eighties and nineties.

80ies were great!
Reagan, Thatcher, Kohl!
Collapse of the Evil Empire!!

Pengwin
May 20th, 2005, 10:40 PM
80ies were great!
Reagan, Thatcher, Kohl!
Collapse of the Evil Empire!!

Oh Joy. Thatcher. :o

ezekiel
May 20th, 2005, 10:41 PM
You mean a rival incapacitated for 3 months which she leads 10-5 H2H (and even 5-2 while rival was #1)?

Maybe a player who had to endure a blackmail scandal for 2 years and a tax scandal for another 2 years?

Monica was stabbed by an obssesive Graf fan because he was afraid there was someone better than Graf. Graf had a tax thing that was entirely her own doing or her father or something. Don't' compare those two, most rational people here know not to do that. :fiery:

Shenanigans
May 20th, 2005, 10:45 PM
BOTP is as lively as Chicago's central cemetery ...

What I'm really trying to say is when Steffi played proffesional tennis I was a huge fan.
Wanted her to win every match she played when Steffi retired I was sad at the end of an era but proud of what she achieved and hoped she would be happy.
This didn't stop being a fan of women's tennis and finding other players who I like and want to support.
Steffi had a fantastic career but she has retired!!!!

Calimero377
May 20th, 2005, 10:46 PM
Monica was stabbed by an obssesive Graf fan because he was afraid there was someone better than Graf. Graf had a tax thing that was entirely her own doing or her father or something. Don't' compare those two, most rational people here know not to do that. :fiery:

Yes!
This lunatic really was afraid of that!
Well, he was a ... lunatic.

Of course we can't compare.
Graf won 6 slams DURING that scandal.
Seles didn't play at all AFTER The Stabbing for more than 2 years.
OK, Graf really was a tough customer. We should not compare other players with her ...

Pengwin
May 20th, 2005, 10:46 PM
Yes!

OK, Graf really was a tough customer. We should not compare other players with her ...

We've heard it all before Cali...

Calimero377
May 20th, 2005, 10:49 PM
What I'm really trying to say is when Steffi played proffesional tennis I was a huge fan.
Wanted her to win every match she played when Steffi retired I was sad at the end of an era but proud of what she achieved and hoped she would be happy.
This didn't stop being a fan of women's tennis and finding other players who I like and want to support.
Steffi had a fantastic career but she has retired!!!!

Yes, but of course she still is THE benchmark for today's players!

BTW, I'm a fan of Enna.
Maybe she will be able to bridge the gap until Jaz Elle Graf-Agassi will dominate (from 2017 on)?

Calimero377
May 20th, 2005, 10:50 PM
We've heard it all before Cali...

Heard maybe.
But did it sink in?

Pengwin
May 20th, 2005, 10:50 PM

BTW, I'm a fan of Enna.
Maybe she will be able to bridge the gap until Jaz Elle Graf-Agassi will dominate (from 2017 on)?

Would you like her if she had a double handed forehand and was better than Graf?

lindsayno1
May 20th, 2005, 10:52 PM
i like the fact there is no real 1 dominant player. the title is for the taking by a number of them. out of the top 10 id say Davenport, Sharapova, Serena, Kuzzy and i have to include Justine now. But they all have real weaknesses and arent continually dominant. we thought sharapova could be, then she got double bagelled by lindsay and cant beat justine. lindsay cant beat justine and is injury prone. Serenas just injured!

RenaSlam.
May 20th, 2005, 10:54 PM
Snore.

Calimero377
May 20th, 2005, 10:54 PM
Would you like her if she had a double handed forehand and was better than Graf?

A double-handed backhand?
Her mother wouldn't allow that!

The four greatest players ever (peak-wise) are single-handed players after all (Court, Navi, Graf, Enna) ....

Pengwin
May 20th, 2005, 10:55 PM
A double-handed backhand?
Her mother wouldn't allow that!

The four greatest players ever (peak-wise) are single-handed players after all (Court, Navi, Graf, Enna) ....

Sorry I meant double handed BOTH sides.

tennislover
May 20th, 2005, 10:56 PM

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Pengwin
May 20th, 2005, 10:56 PM
Heard maybe.
But did it sink in?

Yes.

Why repeat it, it's nothing we don't already know...

tennislover
May 20th, 2005, 10:58 PM
face it my dear cali, graf was dominant, but Navi is more dominant...... :)
graf was one of the greatest, Navi is a legend....
that's another planet......

ezekiel
May 20th, 2005, 11:00 PM
:eek: Yes!

He was an obsessive fan who wanted to live his Graf fantasy and wanted to destroy someone else whom he perceived as threat to his Graf fantasy, That lunatic you speak of, he is free now and he might be posting on this board :eek:

Calimero377
May 20th, 2005, 11:06 PM
Sorry I meant double handed BOTH sides.

OMG, no!
You can't win Wimbledon with that!!

Shenanigans
May 20th, 2005, 11:08 PM

BTW, I'm a fan of Enna.

Let's get real the benchmark had already been raised. When Steffi lost to Lindsay at Wimbledon 1999. She know that was the end there was nothing she could do against players like Lindsay that have a big serve and big groundstrockes on a fast court.
She won all those wimbledon titles but if she hung around for a couple of more years could she really deal with Lindsay and the Williams sisters.

Calimero377
May 20th, 2005, 11:08 PM
face it my dear cali, graf was dominant, but Navi is more dominant...... :)
graf was one of the greatest, Navi is a legend....
that's another planet......

.... in your parallel universe? :confused:

tennislover
May 20th, 2005, 11:09 PM
.... in your parallel universe? :confused:

in all mass media of the universe.....

Calimero377
May 20th, 2005, 11:10 PM
:eek:

He was an obsessive fan who wanted to live his Graf fantasy and wanted to destroy someone else whom he perceived as threat to his Graf fantasy, That lunatic you speak of, he is free now and he might be posting on this board :eek:

But why on earth did he turn into a SELESIAN?
Bad conscience maybe ... ?

Calimero377
May 20th, 2005, 11:12 PM
in all mass media of the universe.....

But why then Graf wins all greatest-ever polls?
:confused:

ezekiel
May 20th, 2005, 11:13 PM
But why on earth did he turn into a SELESIAN?
Bad conscience maybe ... ?

You mean Gunther became a Seles fan ? :confused:

Martian KC
May 20th, 2005, 11:14 PM
Eat me.

tennislover
May 20th, 2005, 11:21 PM

human mind misteries.....

tennislover
May 20th, 2005, 11:23 PM
You mean Gunther became a Seles fan ? :confused:
go figure..... :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

when donkeys fly i'll believe that gunther became a seles fan.....

faboozadoo15
May 20th, 2005, 11:29 PM
for the same reason people like venus and serena williams* are ALREADY included in a lot of those polls-- people just don't have a fucking clue.

*venus and serena are still active and may indeed one day be 'greatest-ever' caliber players.

Pengwin
May 20th, 2005, 11:36 PM
go figure..... :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

when donkeys fly i'll believe that gunther became a seles fan.....

Gunther = Calimero
Calimero http://www.eduplace.com/math/mathsteps/fractions/ne2.gif Seles fan

Therefore

Gunther http://www.eduplace.com/math/mathsteps/fractions/ne2.gif Seles Fan...

tennislover
May 20th, 2005, 11:38 PM
Gunther = Calimero

Therefore

:lol:
so logical

harloo
May 21st, 2005, 12:36 AM

:haha: :haha:

Calimero377
May 21st, 2005, 07:13 AM
Gunther = Calimero

Therefore

Calimero knew in spring of 1993 that Graf would pass Seles in the rankings within the next months. And Calimero is highly educated (university degree in statistics - among others).

Günther P. thought in spring of 1993 that Graf probably would not pass Seles in the rankings in the foreseeable future. Günther P. was an unemployed lace operator. And a lunatic of course.

Therefore Calimero can't be Günther P.

Simple logic.

azza
May 21st, 2005, 07:16 AM
Pratt Hyberdad title in 04 REAL DOMINANCE THERE :bowdown: NOT WORTHY NOT WORTHY :worship:

Rub
May 21st, 2005, 07:49 AM
:bowdown:graf and :bowdown: calimero377

are you even enjoying today's tennis?.. it seems that you are so stuck with graf's greatness, you haven't even gotten over that she is not playing anymore and so she is not the talked about very often...

but i agree, she is the BEST EVER :yeah:
no one can take that away from her... :wavey:

~ The Leopard ~
May 21st, 2005, 08:34 AM
Hmmmm, a thread by Calimero. I wonder what it could possibly be about. :scratch:

stenen
May 21st, 2005, 10:08 AM
Calimero knew in spring of 1993 that Graf would pass Seles in the rankings within the next months. And Calimero is highly educated (university degree in statistics - among others).

Günther P. thought in spring of 1993 that Graf probably would not pass Seles in the rankings in the foreseeable future. Günther P. was an unemployed lace operator. And a lunatic of course.

Therefore Calimero can't be Günther P.

Simple logic.

You call this logic? ok :lol:

I wonder what is the next Graf stats you run in your minitab?

Calimero377
May 21st, 2005, 11:40 AM
:bowdown:graf and :bowdown: calimero377

are you even enjoying today's tennis?.. it seems that you are so stuck with graf's greatness, you haven't even gotten over that she is not playing anymore and so she is not the talked about very often...

but i agree, she is the BEST EVER :yeah:
no one can take that away from her... :wavey:

In my local tennis club people still talk almost ONLY about Graf when they talk about women's tennis. They know the Williams sisters and Enna. Most of them confuse Sharapova, Kuznetsova, Myskina all the time, refering to them as "the Russian girls"mostly. Some have heard of Mauresmo, some remember Davenport (Isn't she the big girl that defeated Steffi in her last Wimbledon ... ?"); all know that Seles and Kournikova are retired. "Petrova? Is she the wife of Wolfsburg striker Petrov?". That's it. One woman asked my some weeks ago, whether Sabatini still plays.

BTW, Federer, Roddick, Safin, Ferrero, Haas, Kiefer, Agassi ("Mr. Graf") are talked a lot of .....

Shonami Slam
May 21st, 2005, 11:41 AM
<sigh>
dearest cali - the world is not prepared yet to understand just how great graf really was.
in 30-50 years, they'll be taking about her the way she belongs - in one breath with king, wade, nav and chris.
sure, hingis's, capriatis, williamses - the whole gang will be remembered, but graf will be worshiped.
there is nothing you can do but wait.
in the meantime - you have only to look if there is anybody new with potential.
at the moment, it looks as though justine might be a contender for the likes of chris, and should sharapova win wimbledon again, it might overtake other all-time greats as well.

Pengwin
May 21st, 2005, 11:43 AM
At my club people basically talk exclusively about Henman and Federer, occassionally Seles, Graf, Navratilova but never the modern stars.

Calimero377
May 21st, 2005, 11:45 AM
<sigh>
dearest cali - the world is not prepared yet to understand just how great graf really was. ....

The world understands already.

But certain fanboys who have a crush at some of today's lolita tennis girlies are still struggling ....

Rub
May 21st, 2005, 11:52 AM
In my local tennis club people still talk almost ONLY about Graf when they talk about women's tennis. They know the Williams sisters and Enna. Most of them confuse Sharapova, Kuznetsova, Myskina all the time, refering to them as "the Russian girls"mostly. Some have heard of Mauresmo, some remember Davenport (Isn't she the big girl that defeated Steffi in her last Wimbledon ... ?"); all know that Seles and Kournikova are retired. "Petrova? Is she the wife of Wolfsburg striker Petrov?". That's it. One woman asked my some weeks ago, whether Sabatini still plays.

BTW, Federer, Roddick, Safin, Ferrero, Haas, Kiefer, Agassi ("Mr. Graf") are talked a lot of .....

:lol: she must be what, 53 years old...

Pengwin
May 21st, 2005, 12:00 PM
The world understands already.

But certain fanboys who have a crush at some of today's lolita tennis girlies are still struggling ....

Sharapova is 18

Calimero377
May 21st, 2005, 12:03 PM
Sharapova is 18

But she looks like 15 ...

Ah, you have a crush on her?

bandabou
May 21st, 2005, 12:20 PM
OMG, no!
You can't win Wimbledon with that!!

Ooopss.....but then again Enna still HASN' T and tiime is running out on her to ever win it...must be the highest ranked peak player NEVER to win wimbledon...when you are a Cali-fav these things are possible..