PDA

View Full Version : Don't count me out, says Pierce(great article!)

:Rawwb:
May 20th, 2005, 12:13 PM
PARIS, May 20 (Reuters) - Frenchwoman Mary Pierce does not feature among the list of favourites for the French Open. The 2000 champion insists, however, that she should not be underestimated.

"Something unique happens when I'm at Roland Garros," Pierce said. "I'm able to play my best tennis when I'm there. It's my favourite tournament."

Pierce, 30, first played the Paris grand slam in 1990 and has missed it only once since, in 2001. She will enter it for the 15th time this year.

"That's a lot," she said. "I can't believe it."

The Canada-born Pierce, who lives in Florida and speaks French with an American accent, had a difficult relationship with the French public for years but that all changed with her 2000 triumph.

Much more relaxed than she used to be, she is now popular wherever she plays.

That showed last week in Rome, where she was cheered on by the Foro Italico crowd as she gave Russian Maria Sharapova a tough time for two hours before bowing out 6-7 4-6 in a tight third-round match.

"I was moved by the reaction from the crowd," she said.

"I felt in Rome that I was playing better tennis than I was in 2000," added Pierce, who now often takes on players more than 10 years her junior.

"The difference is that the competition today is a lot tougher than it was then."

AWKWARD AGE

Asked about Sharapova's attitude, sometimes perceived as slightly arrogant, Pierce was diplomatic.

"I wouldn't say she's not mature but she is young and lacks experience," she said. "But then, what was my attitude when I was her age? My brother says I was a bit awkward."

Pierce made headlines in her younger days because of the fierce clashes between her father Jim, who was her coach, and the sport's officials.

More approachable than when she was a teenager, the world number 24 does not even mind that compatriot Amelie Mauresmo, preparing for the French Open with the help of former champion Yannick Noah, is getting all the attention in France.

"It's quite normal that people are more interested in Amelie and Yannick," she said. "Yannick has a lot of experience. He can help her a lot."

It is unlikely that Pierce will win in Paris again this year but her fans point out that she has a habit of winning a grand slam every five years.

After the Australian Open in 1995 and the French Open in 2000, now is the time for another triumph, they say.

May 20th, 2005, 12:14 PM
If this has been posted already, sorry, but it is a great article!

Make it GS Title #3 Mary! :woohoo:

May 20th, 2005, 12:26 PM
Your thoughts guys?

Mark Spruce
May 20th, 2005, 01:00 PM
Thanks so much for the article.

What web site did you find this on ????

Mark

saby
May 20th, 2005, 01:37 PM
"RG 2005 CHAMP" ...MARY PIERCE

rsunderji
May 20th, 2005, 07:43 PM
great article, thanx for that

Andy.
May 21st, 2005, 12:27 AM
Thanks for the Article it would be so good for Mary if she could win RG. You never know Mary is gathering and she is hitting her peek.

Mark Spruce
May 21st, 2005, 04:42 AM
I have to say what an answer for the Maria question.

Answered like a queen

GO MARY !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mark

stenen
May 21st, 2005, 09:32 AM
I have to say what an answer for the Maria question.

Answered like a queen

GO MARY !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mark

Indeed she did, such a classy person.
Maria is young and still learning to deal with things. We might not agree that things she did during the match against Mary were ok but it's Mary's place to judge and she didn't so maybe we shouldn't either.
Good Luck Mary!

Declan
May 21st, 2005, 11:10 AM
Great article. I SO agree that Mary is being stupidly overlooked by everyone talking about this year's tournament. She's going into it in her best form for five years, and with a favourable draw. Anything can happen.

May 21st, 2005, 01:47 PM
Great feedback guys! Keep it coming

GOOD LUCK MARY!!!!!!!!!!!! :woohoo: :dance: