PDA

View Full Version : Where is the border line between a forced and an unforced errors?

rhz
May 20th, 2005, 09:36 AM
Is there a rule in the tennis guidence about this? Who set this for the stats? Did you know that in tournaments, people who actually put in the numbers to the computers are few of the ball kids who actually got turns to do it besides being ball kids. I saw it in Acura Classic at least. There is a booth by the court where these kids are sitting down with a laptop that inputs the statistics...

what do you think?? So I think we could not always trust the stats, as those stats might not be as accurate as it looked like!

Darop.
May 20th, 2005, 10:05 AM
Yes, NEVER trust stats.

At some tournaments, they count every single error as an unforced error, even if your opponent hits an unreachable winner and you barely clip the ball, some will consider that and unforced error :tape:

Shonami Slam
May 20th, 2005, 11:27 AM
well, demetieva had the fastest serve even earlier this year in a tierI tourny, so never trust it untill you get further information.
sometimes i count winners, and they tend to get it a couple higher or lower than what i think should be the correct figure, so it's kinda personal i suppose.

random fan
May 20th, 2005, 11:37 AM
Yeah sometimes when players are recieving serve they hit the ball to the net and you have to wonder did they failed to return it because of speed, spin, acurracy or did they just try to go for a winner on return. Of course sometimes you can clearly see was it a forced or unforced error by the movement or positioning, but it still sometimes takes some insight to determine what it was and sometimes only player herself can truly know what happened.

Darop.
May 20th, 2005, 12:07 PM
Yeah sometimes when players are recieving serve they hit the ball to the net and you have to wonder did they failed to return it because of speed, spin, acurracy or did they just try to go for a winner on return. Of course sometimes you can clearly see was it a forced or unforced error by the movement or positioning, but it still sometimes takes some insight to determine what it was and sometimes only player herself can truly know what happened.

First smart thing you've ever said :yeah:

Junex
May 20th, 2005, 02:23 PM
IMHO, unforced errors are those misses, like dumping the ball at the net or an "out" ball after being struck in a "very good position" in a rally.

usually misses in return of serve, IMO, is a forced error.

actually its up to the umpire or someone doing the stats to decide about that, that is why in some lucrative tournaments, they hire expert tennis analyst as well as statisticians to do that. what he considers as unforced or forced.

Well at least that is how i was told and been thought as i officiate and do some stats coverage in our local tournaments.

Spunky83
May 20th, 2005, 02:26 PM
I remember Olympics 2004 stats...lol! Apparently matches all just consisted of either winners or unforced errors;)

alfonsojose
May 20th, 2005, 02:43 PM
Ask to Mariana Alves :tape:

the bambi
May 20th, 2005, 06:02 PM
who knows. half the time i think carillo and co are making it up that ue shit as they go along. a point is a point is a point.

Veenut
May 20th, 2005, 06:15 PM
Personally I don't think counting UE's are of that much importance as some would have you think. I've seen Matches where players make very few UE's and still suffer a horrible loss. I guess it's just an indicator of how many points you gave your opponent that they did not earn.

vogus
May 20th, 2005, 06:38 PM
Is there a rule in the tennis guidence about this? Who set this for the stats? Did you know that in tournaments, people who actually put in the numbers to the computers are few of the ball kids who actually got turns to do it besides being ball kids. I saw it in Acura Classic at least. There is a booth by the court where these kids are sitting down with a laptop that inputs the statistics...

what do you think?? So I think we could not always trust the stats, as those stats might not be as accurate as it looked like!

exactly right, there is no rule or precise standards for what is an unforced error, and in a lot of cases, if you trust the stats, you are taking the word of one of the ball kids who is typing the stuff into the computer while alternating playing video games or something.

vogus
May 20th, 2005, 06:41 PM
who knows. half the time i think carillo and co are making it up that ue shit as they go along. a point is a point is a point.

Carillo's treating match stats with so much importance is a sign of her ignorance. Her reliance on these fuzzy statistics is inexcusable for someone who is supposed to have a superior understanding of tennis.