PDA

View Full Version : Most enthralling 'big' match of the decade?

liuxuan
May 19th, 2005, 11:06 AM
Hey guys just wondering what you think was the most enthralling big match of this decade so far. By 'big match', i was just including grandslam semi finals and finals. Just thiniking in terms of excitement, drama, and competitiveness and quality of play.

Jakeev
May 19th, 2005, 11:08 AM
All three of Jennifer Capriati's Grand Slam finals, and the one I still cringe about, her win over Serena last year at the U.S. Open.

Still can't believe to this day that ball was called out.

Billy Moonshine
May 19th, 2005, 11:11 AM
Capriati Vs Hingis,
OZ Open Final 2002
Fantastic stuff

Lady
May 19th, 2005, 11:12 AM
Justine vs Jenny, US Open 03

XaDavK_Kapri
May 19th, 2005, 12:19 PM
I have to say Justine over Jen ;) Even if it gave us one of the great matches of the last decade, I still wouldn't have minded if it had ended up 6-4 6-3 to Jen ;)
Serena over Sharapova was just as enthralling, but there was a few more unforced, so I had to choose the other one. But I still was on the edge of my seat starting at 2-6 4-5*

TonyP
May 19th, 2005, 12:40 PM
2000 Year End Championship finals, Hingis over Seles in three sets. Very high quality play from both players. Both hit twice as many winners as unforced errors. All three sets were very competitive.

-Kieron-
May 19th, 2005, 12:43 PM
Either Justine beating Jen, or Venus beating Hingis. Both were great matches! :)

manu32
May 19th, 2005, 01:51 PM
this game needs jenny.....

volta
May 19th, 2005, 02:06 PM
Venus bt Hingis 4-6 6-3 7-5 : USO 2000

this is my all time fav match. great tennis and the crowd was wild dyum i have never saw a match like that again :sad:

the jamierbelyea
May 19th, 2005, 02:51 PM
Cap v Hingis OZ, 2002

I think had Hingis won that match, her motivation to come back would be much higher. I think it's a turning point that people will look at when people talk about Martina's great career.

gmak
May 19th, 2005, 03:05 PM
i voted for the Venus-Hingis match in 2002 ;)
i would like to forget about those 2 matches Kim lost :sad:

but i think that the Hingis-Serena AO QF from 2001 should also be in that poll.
some great tennis, great drama and the determination of these two to win that match was quite amazing :)

SelesFan70
May 19th, 2005, 04:21 PM
Of the matches liste, definitely Justine over Jennifer. :worship:

No Name Face
May 19th, 2005, 05:09 PM
enthralling? Lena D beats Jen, probably because that's the only one I saw on TV :D

Jenny.C.Fan
May 19th, 2005, 05:50 PM
I think all of the above matches involving Jen, they were all absolute crackers,i think ill go for the justine vs jenny match though although jen lost it has to go down as one of the greatest of all time, i miss jen so much i miss her ability to bring the best out of her opponents and therefore to create such epic matches, can't wait to see more of the same when she returns :).

G_Slammed
May 19th, 2005, 06:22 PM
The 2004 USOPEN Quarterfinal Conspiracy Match ofcourse.

skanky~skanketta
May 19th, 2005, 06:53 PM
my fave was justine over jennifer.

and serena over sharapova is very very close.

damn, i cant choose.

Graf-aholic
May 19th, 2005, 07:09 PM
I voted for: Jennifer bt Kim 1-6 6-4 12-10 : RG 2001

It was such a great comeback performance for Capriati, she really fought and displayed heart and won the match.

Dirty Sanchez
May 19th, 2005, 08:03 PM
Even though I'm not a fan of either of them I remember I really enjoyed last year's Wimbledon semi between Amelie & Serena. Very enthralling, so I voted for that! :yeah:

deja_entendu
May 19th, 2005, 08:38 PM
What idiot made this poll? Some of the matches in there were HORRIBLE, nasty displays of tennis. And the best match of this decade isn't even included. :rolleyes:

In fact you must be a Serena fan, because all of the Serena matches on there were very poorly played tennis, that had more to do with Serena playing down to her opponents level than her opponent playing well. The Jen/Serena Wimbledon 2001 encounter was a far better match than the FO 2002 in the poll, the Serena/Kim & Serena/Sharapova matches were some of the worst, most error filled tennis that the world has ever seen, and the Amelie/Serena match is far from a classic, in fact the other Wimbledon semifinal was much better! If you're going to make a poll like this, please include some decent matches. If you're so desperate to include matches with Serena, here are a few reccomendations:

Her loss to Hingis at AO 2001 (more on that later)
Her loss to Jennifer at Wimbly 2001
Her win over Lindsay at USO 2001
Her win over Jen YEC 2002

All four of those were roughly ten times better than the Serena matches in the poll.

Plus, where is Hingis/Seles YEC match or their AO 02 match? Both of those were INSANELY high quality, with winner/unforced error ratios and stylistic differences that women's tennis will probably never see again.

Justine v. Lindsay AO 03?
Capriati v. Seles AO 01?

But anyway, you're missing the only Grand Slam quarterfinal to be included on the WTA Tour's official "Best Match of the last 15 years" or whatever it was called. Hingis/Serena AO 2001 for many reasons: it was right after Martina's peak and right before Serena's, so it was the closest the two ever got to playing each other "in form". Martina and Serena are also the two greatest champions of the last decade bar none, and this is the best match between them. The match itself was dramatic, intense, physically exhausting, clean, with lots of memorable points and a great comeback by Martina (which is unexpected of her, given how relatively poor her fitness was throughout her career). I'd love to know how this match could be excluded from the poll when it is better than any of the matches on there?

Calimero377
May 19th, 2005, 09:41 PM
.... Martina and Serena are also the two greatest champions of the last decade bar none, and this is the best match between them. The match itself was dramatic, intense, ....

The last decade started in May 1995?

Then in the last decade Hingis won 5 slams, 3 of them inferior AOs.
In the same time frame Graf won 7 slams, 3 FOs, 2 Wimbledons, 2 USO.
And Graf is 7-2 H2H against Hingis.

How then can Hingis be one of the "two greatest champions of the last decade bar none"?

It's Steffi and Serena.
Martina is a distant third ...

:wavey:

SJW
May 19th, 2005, 09:46 PM
The last decade started in May 1995?

Then in the last decade Hingis won 5 slams, 3 of them inferior AOs.
In the same time frame Graf won 7 slams, 3 FOs, 2 Wimbledons, 2 USO.
And Graf is 7-2 H2H against Hingis.

How then can Hingis be one of the "two greatest champions of the last decade bar none"?

It's Steffi and Serena.
Martina is a distant third ...

:wavey:

you think Serena is one of the two greatest champions in the last decade?

the world must be ending :p

deja_entendu
May 19th, 2005, 09:47 PM
Again cali is twisting nonsense, it all depends on how you look at it, and obviously we're talking about 2000 and on, where Steffi was retired. Retard.

The two greatest champions to have been playing in the year 2000 and later are Martina Hingis and Serena Williams, and although Seles played in this time frame, she is obviously a different player than when she was dominant.

deja_entendu
May 19th, 2005, 09:50 PM
you think Serena is one of the two greatest champions in the last decade?

the world must be ending :p

I have never had anything bad to say about Serena's game, or her status as a champion! You only read what you want to :rolleyes:. I happen to think one of the Williams sisters is an overrated and comparitively poor tennis player, and it certainly ain't Serena.

VivalaSeles
May 19th, 2005, 09:51 PM
I have never had anything bad to say about Serena's game, or her status as a champion! You only read what you want to :rolleyes:. I happen to think one of the Williams sisters is an overrated and comparitively poor tennis player, and it certainly ain't Serena.

I suspect SJW's comment was directed to Gunther Parche.

Stamp Paid
May 19th, 2005, 09:57 PM

Damn, is idiot troll really redundant? :o because I think it really applies here.

Calimero377
May 19th, 2005, 09:57 PM
I suspect SJW's comment was directed to Gunther Parche.

Wrong again.
He meant me!

Stamp Paid
May 19th, 2005, 09:58 PM
Wrong again.
He meant me!

Wrong again! :p

She meant you.

VivalaSeles
May 19th, 2005, 09:59 PM
Wrong again.
He meant me!

Yes, I know, Gunther Parche.

Calimero377
May 19th, 2005, 10:02 PM
Again cali is twisting nonsense, it all depends on how you look at it, and obviously we're talking about 2000 and on, where Steffi was retired. Retard. ....

Slams since 2000:

1) Serena 7
2) Venus 4
3) Capriati, Henin 3 each
4) Davenport, Myskina, Sharapova, Kuznetsova 1 each
5) Hingis and other journeywomen zero each

Thanks, Dumbo ....

:lol:

BTW, Hingis didn't win a slam in the last 6 years. Graf did ....

Calimero377
May 19th, 2005, 10:05 PM
Yes, I know, Gunther Parche.

You know him?
From your last stay in the loony-bin?
And how is he?

Stamp Paid
May 19th, 2005, 10:05 PM
:tape:

VivalaSeles
May 19th, 2005, 10:08 PM
You know him?
From your last stay in the loony-bin?
And how is he?

Improve your reading skills, Gunther Parche, and please learn what commas are for.

deja_entendu
May 19th, 2005, 10:09 PM
Graf was not playing in the year 2000 on, and thus is completely irrelevant in this discussion! You have no place in this thread!

Hingis and Serena were playing in 2000, and are undoubtedly the two greatest champions of any players to play the game since 2000, except for Seles who is a different player than she was pre-stabbing.

So you and Graf have no business in this discussion.

And oops, I saw SJW directly quoting me, but he was really quoting cali who was quoting me, I'm so sorry about the trivial confusion. :rolls:

Calimero377
May 19th, 2005, 10:13 PM
Improve your reading skills, Gunther Parche, and, please learn what commas are for.

To put it directly between "and" and "please"?

JenFan75
May 19th, 2005, 10:16 PM
2002 AO Final ^_^

VivalaSeles
May 19th, 2005, 10:16 PM
To put it directly between "and" and "please"?

My mistake, Gunther Parche. I added an extra and not necessary comma. Thank you for warning me, Gunther Parche.

Calimero377
May 19th, 2005, 10:26 PM
Graf was not playing in the year 2000 on, and thus is completely irrelevant in this discussion! You have no place in this thread!

Hingis and Serena were playing in 2000, and are undoubtedly the two greatest champions of any players to play the game since 2000, except for Seles who is a different player than she was pre-stabbing.

You were referring to the "last decade".

1) This can't be 2000-2005 because this is the PRESENT decade.
But if so however, then there are may players who won slams (some even 3plus- Serena, Venus, Enna).
And if you are count as "great players" of those 5 years active players who won their slams before that period than of course SELES and Serena are the TWO greatest champions.

2) But you could have meant 1990-1999.
In that decade Graf (14 slams) and Seles (9) were the greatest champions. Hingis is struggling with ASV for third.

3) But most probably you meant 1995 until today.
In that decade Graf(7 slams) and Serena (7 slams too) are the greatest champions. Hingis is a distant third.

Hingis is the greatest player from 1997 until June 4th, 1999,however ...

selesbooz
May 19th, 2005, 10:33 PM
These matches suck.
the only good one is Dementieva d. Cappy and the only reason for that one is because i wanted cappy to lose.

Some Great Matches:
Sharapova d. Davenport wim. 04
Serena d. Clijsters AO 03 coming back for 1-5 down in third
Graf d. Hingis FO 99
Maursemo d. Cappy USO 02 (i think) great match
Cappy d. Seles in Miami :hearts: :fiery: