PDA

View Full Version : "Minority" Languages

Grachka
May 13th, 2005, 10:03 AM
I was wondering if anyone on the board spoke a language that perhaps very little people know, is endangered or regionalised?

I knew some Scottish Gaelic from my gran who had learned it herself when an adult, but when she died I forgot most of it :(. I tried to re-learn on my own, but lack of time (and talent :p) meant I stopped ;). Only about 45,000 to 50,000 people speak Gaelic now, so it's going to die out :sad:

Who knows some minority languages?

Josh
May 13th, 2005, 11:14 AM
Aramic, spoken in a few villages in Syria.

Brαm
May 13th, 2005, 11:26 AM
Frisian (Frysk)

It's a West Germanic language which is spoken by about 400,000 people in the province of Friesland in the Netherlands. It is closely related to Dutch but also shows a number of striking similarities to English, especially at the lexical level.

!<blocparty>!
May 13th, 2005, 11:59 AM
Does welsh count? :p

Andy T
May 13th, 2005, 12:01 PM
Frisian is the closest language to English, Bram.

Cornish, the language of my region died out but is now undergoing a revival. This week, our newly returend MP at Westminster swore the oath of allegiance in Cornish as well as English. The language is very similar to Breton and Welsh. The numbers 1-10 go as follows:
onan dew tri peswar pymp hwegh seyth eth naw deg

Jakeev
May 13th, 2005, 12:04 PM
I have a friend who is Italian that says that much of the different dialects are beginning to disappear because of this trend that the younger generation are being influenced by the media to speak more proper Italian.

Not sure if anyone can confirm that, but I found that rather interesting and I am sure this is more widespread globally than what is probably known.

Duramont
May 13th, 2005, 12:07 PM
Luxembourgish (Lëtzebuergesch). :p

Less than 400.000 people speaking it actually.

Brαm
May 13th, 2005, 12:07 PM
Frisian is the closest language to English, Bram. Yeah I know, I copied that bit from a website ;)

The thing is, however, that I can understand people speaking Frisian (well most of it) but I seriously doubt that English-speaking people would understand it :confused:

Just look at this website: http://fy.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haadside
A Dutch person should be able to understand the sentences and words. But does an Englishman know what e.g. "sûnder auteursrjochten" means?

GoDominique
May 13th, 2005, 12:08 PM
I know a few words in Low German (?) but can't really speak it.
It's still pretty common in Northern Germany among the older generation but it might be dying out too. :(
It has quite a lot in common with English too.

Brαm
May 13th, 2005, 12:12 PM
I know a few words in Low German (?) but can't really speak it.
It's still pretty common in Northern Germany among the older generation but it might be dying out too. :(
It has quite a lot in common with English too.You mean Plattdüütsch? ;)

It's quite similar to Dutch, actually. Here's the Platdüütsch version of Wikipedia http://nds.wikipedia.org/wiki/H%C3%B6%C3%B6ftsiet

Some information:
This is the Low Saxon and East Low German (plattdüütsch) Wikipedia. They both are closely related languages (you can also say, they both form one language) spoken by 12 - 15 million people on all continents except Antarctica. The native area is between the IJsselmeer and north west Poland, covering parts of the Netherlands, southern Denmark, northern Germany and what is now western Poland. The language is also closely related to other Low German languages (like Dutch), and to English; which both were delevoped from Old Low German.

Svennovitch
May 13th, 2005, 12:18 PM
Does West-Vlaams count too ;)

GoDominique
May 13th, 2005, 12:29 PM
You mean Plattdüütsch? ;)Yes. ;)

Orangina
May 13th, 2005, 12:55 PM
i speak frankonian slang - lol :lol:

alexusjonesfan
May 13th, 2005, 03:29 PM
my grandma speaks Maghi, Maithili and Bhojpuri all of which have speakers in the millions but all three are dying out and being assimilated into Hindi in India.

controlfreak
May 13th, 2005, 05:30 PM
I can speak a form of Gobbledigook which is known by less than 15000 people.

QuicKyMonSter
May 13th, 2005, 06:59 PM
just a few words in quechua...:p

MS
May 16th, 2005, 10:35 AM
I can speak Valencian language ;)

Xian
May 16th, 2005, 10:59 AM
Styrian:wavey:

PamShriverRockz
May 16th, 2005, 01:28 PM
Cornish, the language of my region died out but is now undergoing a revival. This week, our newly returend MP at Westminster swore the oath of allegiance in Cornish as well as English. The language is very similar to Breton and Welsh. The numbers 1-10 go as follows:
onan dew tri peswar pymp hwegh seyth eth naw deg

Interesting! I knew Cornish had similarities to Welsh, but didn't realise it was that close...

1-10 in Welsh: un dau tri pedwar pump chwech saith wyth naw deg

Pam Shriver would love Welsh, we have seven vowels... ;)