PDA

View Full Version : David Suzuki predicts John Howard will go to gaol

SM
May 13th, 2005, 02:52 AM
I went and saw canadian environmentalist david suzuki give a speech at my uni a while back. he did not seem to have many nice comments about johnny howard and our politicians, just found these quotes :lol:

He warns the Howard government that there is more to come than just harsh words from environmentalists, "Anybody that says he's a leader is not getting on with th ebusiness of finding alternatives to coal, i think in 20 yrs they're going to say ' "THAT GUY SHOULD GO TO GAOL. It was criminal" :tape:

"Bascially, all these old farts sitting in Canberra, they're making decisions about climate change that are not going to affect them one way or another. They're close to the grave like I am".

He said Kyoto protocol wasnt really important in reducing emissions but was important for symbolic reasons. IMO well if thats how he feels about it, do you think australia should give up one of its biggest exports and sources of energy ie coal if its main focus is symbolic reasons????

i just cant see australia following the protocol. realistically, they have to consider other alternatives like carbon credits (emissions trading between countries) etc...

he was really good :worship:

Crazy Canuck
May 13th, 2005, 03:27 AM
Anybody who can get some random Toronto crack dealer to sit in the back of a limo with him and point out all the hot spots while on camera gets my respect ;)

(the dealer had his voice changed and face plastered over, but still! still!)

SM
May 13th, 2005, 04:31 AM
please xplain!

Crazy Canuck
May 13th, 2005, 04:42 AM
He did a special on the drug problems in Toronto. I didn't watch the entire thing since I was only skimming for material related to my seminar (and found nothing). The thing started out his monologue then jumped right to him sitting in the back of a limo with an alledged crack dealer who was showing him some hot spots in an otherwise perfectly "normal" looking neighbourhood. I'm guessing that wasn't his district... as I said, the dealer had his face blurred and voice altered so that he couldn't be easily identified.

SM
May 13th, 2005, 04:45 AM
so, when you think of david suzuki thats the first thing that comes to ur mind? :lol:

alexusjonesfan
May 13th, 2005, 05:08 AM
lol people still say gaol :eek:

I like Suzuki but he doesn't actually do much...he goes around and talks and complains but his organisation hasn't really offered any viable solutions for alternative energy either.

Scotso
May 13th, 2005, 05:55 AM
gaol :confused:

Philbo
May 13th, 2005, 06:16 AM
gaol = jail

David Suzuki has his head screwed on the right way,. wheres as John Howard isnt worth dog shit. He is just following his buddy George bush in opposing the Kyoto protocol, why? because it might cost his buddies in big business some money in reforming their organistations to be more evironmentally friendly..

at the moment, politicians place getting votes above protecting the environment for the next generation.. sooner or later though things will change..

Crazy Canuck
May 13th, 2005, 06:37 AM
so, when you think of david suzuki thats the first thing that comes to ur mind? :lol:
Yeah, just because it's recent ;)

~ The Leopard ~
May 13th, 2005, 09:55 AM
"Gaol" always used to be the correct British spelling. I use the American spelling "jail" myself, since it is more phonetic, but it never occurred to me that there was anything funny about Australians (for example) using the British spelling. Then again, I just checked The Oxford Dictionary for Writers and Editors which does actually give "jail" as its recommended spelling except in historical contexts, so I suppose "gaol" really has lost out even in the UK.

Sam L
May 13th, 2005, 10:34 AM
I can't believe some people don't know "gaol"? :confused:

That's the thing that shocked me the most about this thread. Things that make you to go ... hmm?

Lemonskin.
May 13th, 2005, 11:30 AM
Johnny is good :)

I just can't imagine anyone else in the top spot right now.

Costello? :unsure: though that budget was :hearts:
Beazley? :scared:

Princess Sarah.
May 13th, 2005, 11:56 AM
Jonny howard is a tool and i have a great poster depicting it

SM
May 13th, 2005, 12:28 PM
global environmental pollution will always be a problem because of the 'free-rider' problem. the essence of the free-rider problem is that emissions reductions by any one country benefit all countries but all the costs are borne by the reducing country ie Australia! furthermore australia is only responsible for 1 or 2% of total CFC emissions so the effect of australia reducing emissions is very marginal BUT i agree with what david said about it being important cos its 'symbolic' and obviously other countries will follow suit

SM
May 13th, 2005, 12:32 PM
another problem is 'compensation'

free rider problem aside, countries wont join an int'l agreement if they think thats its gonna cost them more than they benefit, poorer countries that are large emitters like china produce much more emissions than richer countries like usa, so it gonna cost them much more to cut back their levels of production. ok so the kyoto protocol gives them extra time to implement the reductions in emissions but fat chance the poorer countries will....so even if usa/aus do cut back their polluting theyre gonna have to compensate them somehow and this is another big problem

looks like the environment is f*ed

Ted of Teds Tennis
May 13th, 2005, 02:42 PM
lol people still say gaol :eek:

I like Suzuki but he doesn't actually do much...he goes around and talks and complains but his organisation hasn't really offered any viable solutions for alternative energy either.
But that misses the point, viggen. The point is that Suzuki "cares". It wouldn't matter if he espoused policies that were actually counterproductive. Words are more important than actions. He's one of the bien pensant....

cellophane
May 13th, 2005, 03:02 PM
"Gaol" always used to be the correct British spelling. I use the American spelling "jail" myself, since it is more phonetic, but it never occurred to me that there was anything funny about Australians (for example) using the British spelling. Then again, I just checked The Oxford Dictionary for Writers and Editors which does actually give "jail" as its recommended spelling except in historical contexts, so I suppose "gaol" really has lost out even in the UK.

Never heard of it... :confused: