PDA

View Full Version : How do you know when you are not prejudiced?

"Sluggy"
May 12th, 2005, 05:01 PM
Ive wanted to ask the question for some time but since racism is controversial i avoided posting a thread like this before. I dont think i have many prejudices. As an American, I can tell you that as long as a person is a good citizen, is respectful and kind to others, i dont care what their origins are. Surely as far as African Americans go, ive had really only nice contacts with them. And if i were single, would African American women. Also if my children were to date or marry an African American that would be fine with me. I feel less the same way with Africans here in france because they are not Americans. There may be strong cultural differences and i would fear the kids would leave the country to live there. I actually have a similar fear about Israelis. I am jewish but that does not mean i want to go live there permanently nor have my children live there because it is far away. Additionally, i dont have any qualms about intermarriage with christians, catholics etc. So long as they were not "extremists". Mormons would be difficult i think. Also i dont think id be too receptive to muslim intermarriages. its just too different a religion and many parts of islam are at odds with the Jewish homeland. Muslims seem to rarely go jewish or christian so marrying a religious muslim means the offspring will be muslim too. Aside from that i do and we all do have preferences. but preferences are not the same as prejudices.

How do you know if you have any prejudices? Oh i also might add that i also believe the following: if you have some bad blood with a group, or some minor hatreds... who cares. if you dont transmit these prejudices to your kids or friends or anyone, and if you try to rid yourself of irrational prejudices, then you are ok. If you dont DO anything prejudiced, noboby will know, and the hatred dies with YOU.

[I CORRECTED SOME UNCLEAR AREAS OF MY POST FOR CLARITY SAKE]

roarke
May 12th, 2005, 05:36 PM
Everyone has prejudices, in terms of likes and dislikes. However it is when these likes and dislikes become malicious and people actually go out of their way to bring pain, misery and harm to another that it becomes a problem. Denying jobs, access to health care, wealth development programs, an equal voice, equal education, and just constantly berating a person on how they look based on their color, physical features, and wealth are some of the most heinous and evil things we humans perpetrate against each other. Equally at fault are all the people who sit around and claim purity yet they do nothing to stop or prevent evil from happening. In fact I would go as far as to say these people are even worse than some of the more obvious evil doers.

Before I came back to live in the US I had a more positive view of some races but that has changed considerably. There are those I wouldn't trust even if I am dying of thirst and they offer me water.
We all develop prejudices after a while based on our socialization, lack of education, past experiences and our inability to recognize the humanness of others.

Barrie_Dude
May 12th, 2005, 05:42 PM
Everyone has prejudices. It is part of the human experience. However, all we can really do is be aware of them, and not allow them to affect our judgements. Also, we must be diligent in our efforts to respect others and not be hurtful or hateful to others.

"Sluggy"
May 12th, 2005, 06:03 PM
who said stupid poll, stfu? show yourselves.

alexusjonesfan
May 12th, 2005, 06:11 PM
umm there's that harvard prejudice test thingy.

kiwifan
May 12th, 2005, 06:23 PM
everyone is prejudiced.

its human nature.

Martian Willow
May 12th, 2005, 07:40 PM
I'm not prejudiced.

DemWilliamsGulls
May 12th, 2005, 07:54 PM
I dont think I'm prejudiced, sometimes I DO get caught up in stereotypes of other races because as a black man many people stereotype me as well. I have white, latino, and chineese friends....whom I respect. I'm just really PRO BLACK about a lot of things because I feel as a people we have to work extra hard to achieve things that most white people have.

Paneru
May 12th, 2005, 08:15 PM
everyone is prejudiced.

its human nature.

I agree with that.

Their are ofcourse
verying degree's.

It's hard for many to escape not getting
caught up in stereotypes.

I think we all have prejudices on some level
and in some form racial and otherwise
simply because we've all in the world now
have grown up in such a society.

That doesn't mean we're bad people.

It does mean for many that you acknowledge but also try
to challenge them and educate yourself in many areas, not just race.

kiwifan
May 12th, 2005, 08:37 PM
I'm not prejudiced.

Says the BNP troll. :rolleyes:

decemberlove
May 12th, 2005, 08:54 PM
everyone is prejudiced.

its human nature.

100% right.

nothing more to be said.

Martian Willow
May 12th, 2005, 08:58 PM
Says the BNP troll. :rolleyes:

In what way am I a BNP troll, please? :)

ZAK
May 12th, 2005, 09:10 PM
Everyone is prejudiced. Its just impossible to avoid

RVD
May 12th, 2005, 10:29 PM
Says the BNP troll. :rolleyes: :lol:

As to the topic...
Would take far too long to explain. :shrug:
Suffice it to say that most discover if they are once they express that obviously blatant racist 'act' (or response) and get called on it. Sooooo...did it happen yet? ;)

Martian Willow
May 12th, 2005, 10:30 PM
:lol:

In what way am I a BNP troll, please? :)

RVD
May 12th, 2005, 10:52 PM
In what way am I a BNP troll, please? :):lol: You bad rep me and call me a 'tosser', then want a question answered? :lol: Look, in the future, ask the quest first, then bad rep me and call me names. Just a suggestion. ;)
Incidentally, what's a 'tosser'? Is that like what's called 'tossing the salad'? :lol:

Martian Willow
May 12th, 2005, 11:35 PM
:lol: You bad rep me and call me a 'tosser', then want a question answered? :lol: Look, in the future, ask the quest first, then bad rep me and call me names. Just a suggestion. ;)
Incidentally, what's a 'tosser'? Is that like what's called 'tossing the salad'? :lol:

My suggestion: in future, try to have some evidence available before making false, defamatory and hurtful accusations against people you don't know, or laughing at false, defamatory and hurtful accusations made by others against people they don't know, or people might bad rep and call you, correctly, a tosser. :)

RVD
May 13th, 2005, 12:54 AM
My suggestion: in future, try to have some evidence available before making false, defamatory and hurtful accusations against people you don't know, or laughing at false, defamatory and hurtful accusations made by others against people they don't know, or people might bad rep and call you, correctly, a tosser. :)Ahh! Sooo then that makes you a wanker, right? http://deephousepage.com/smilies/conf40.gif :lol:

Martian Willow
May 13th, 2005, 02:06 AM
No.

Martian Willow
May 13th, 2005, 02:07 AM
Just thought I'd add some :lol: .

:lol: :lol: :lol:

~ The Leopard ~
May 13th, 2005, 03:29 AM
What, exactly, is a tosser? I've never really understood the expression.

SpikeyAidanm
May 13th, 2005, 07:11 AM
I really admire people who aren't, I am, unfortunately.

RVD
May 13th, 2005, 07:40 AM
Just thought I'd add some :lol: .

:lol: :lol: :lol: YES! :yeah: There ya go!
Laughter is a great salve for the soul. :lol:
But you didn't answer my question. ;)

SpikeyAidanm, do you know what a wanker is? Is that the English expression for jerk-off? :lol:

"Sluggy"
May 13th, 2005, 08:46 AM
Im surprised that many people admit to being prejudiced. In my case, i had issues with prejudice. Fortunately or unfortunately depending on your outlook, many people knew about it. I didnt hide it well. then it was addressed and people had the kindness and patience to help me beat it. Now I acknowledge my preferences but i dont feel prejudiced or hatred towards any group. IM just rowdy. that is different.

Martian Willow
May 13th, 2005, 09:41 AM
YES! :yeah: There ya go!
Laughter is a great salve for the soul. :lol:
But you didn't answer my question. ;)

You didn't answer mine. :)

SpikeyAidanm
May 13th, 2005, 09:44 AM
Actually I'm not prejudiced, I'm just judgemental :awww:

Dana Marcy
May 15th, 2005, 06:48 PM
everyone is prejudiced.

its human nature.

I agree with this also! :yeah: But a lot of people including SOME people on this board don't even recognize that they are prejudiced. The most naive are those that say things like "I love everybody no matter what color" but their whole immediate world is surrounded primarily by people of their own race. These people don't mean any harm but it just cracks me up that sometimes they can't see that despite all their good intentions they still revert back to what they know which comes from the experience of their own race.

Martian Willow
May 15th, 2005, 07:40 PM
I hate everybody no matter what colour. :)

Martian Willow
May 15th, 2005, 07:41 PM
Including myself.