PDA

View Full Version : Gay Sperm tastes bad, FDA trys to Ban it.

Wigglytuff
May 11th, 2005, 05:49 AM
FDA seeks to ban gay men from donating sperm
Miscellaneous News
Published: Sunday, 8-May-2005
Print - FDA seeks to ban gay men from donating sperm Printer Friendly Email - FDA seeks to ban gay men from donating sperm

Email to a Friend

The Food and Drug Administration (FDA), to the dismay of gay-rights activists, is recommending that any man who has had sex with another man in the previous five years be barred from serving as an anonymous sperm donor.

The Food and Drug Administration (FDA), to the dismay of gay-rights activists, is recommending that any man who has had sex with another man in the previous five years be barred from serving as an anonymous sperm donor.

In rejecting demands to scrap the provision, the agency is insisting that gay men collectively pose a higher-than-average risk of carrying the AIDS virus. Accusations of the stigmatisation of all gay men has been levelled at the organisation with critics saying that the adoption of a screening process that focuses on high-risk sexual behaviour by any donor, gay or straight would be a much fairer policy.

Leland Traiman, director of a clinic in Alameda, Calif., that seeks gay sperm donors, says that under the new rules, a heterosexual man who had unprotected sex with HIV-positive prostitutes would be accepted as a donor one year later, but a gay man in a monogamous, safe-sex relationship is not unless he has been celibate for five years.

Traiman says adequate safety assurances can be provided by testing a sperm donor at the time of the initial donation, then freezing the sperm for a six-month quarantine, then, re- testing the donor again to be sure there is no new sign of HIV or other infectious diseases.

Despite disagreement over whether the FDA guideline regarding gay men will have the force of law, most doctors and clinics are expected to observe it.

The practical effect of the provision which is part of a broader set of cell and tissue donation regulations, is not clear but it is likely to affect some lesbian couples who want a child and prefer to use a gay man's sperm for artificial insemination.

Kevin Cathcart, executive director of Lambda Legal, has called the policy one which is "based on bigotry", and it is the provision's symbolic aspect that particularly troubles gay-rights groups.

Cathcart says the most offensive and frightening aspect of the policy is that it is not based on good science, and the steadily increasing trend of heterosexual transmission of HIV has not appeared to have been considered, yet the FDA retains the notion that protection is provided by excluding gay men from the equation.

Lambda Legal has suggested the screening be based on sexual behaviour, not sexual orientation, however an FDA spokeswoman suggests that officials felt the broader exclusion was prudent even if it affected gay men who practice safe sex.

Many doctors already have been rejecting gay sperm donors, citing the pending FDA rules or existing regulations of the American Society for Reproductive Medicine.

bis2806
May 11th, 2005, 06:18 AM
Stupid FDA, they are people who promote discrimination and hatred.

CooCooCachoo
May 11th, 2005, 08:45 AM
Bigotry :armed:

The Last Unicorn
May 11th, 2005, 10:08 AM
In Germany I think gay men are not allowed to give blood donors. Not sure though.

Wigglytuff
May 11th, 2005, 02:07 PM
Bigotry :armed:
ditto

~{X}~
May 11th, 2005, 05:29 PM
Gay Sperm tastes pretty good actually. Haha ;)

James
May 11th, 2005, 06:15 PM
In Germany I think gay men are not allowed to give blood donors. Not sure though.

Definitely so in the Netherlands. :sad:

Come-on-kim
May 11th, 2005, 06:16 PM
In Belgium, gays aren't allowed to donate blood

CooCooCachoo
May 11th, 2005, 06:52 PM

Slutty Christian would know :haha: :hug:

SelesFan70
May 11th, 2005, 06:57 PM

Actually, straight/married sperm is much better to the pallette! :devil:

alexusjonesfan
May 11th, 2005, 07:25 PM
won't I be able to donate any bodily fluids? :sad:

Wigglytuff
May 11th, 2005, 07:49 PM
i'm sorry :( viggen.i could donate some of my fluids in your honor? :confused: :o

Lachrymarum
May 11th, 2005, 07:50 PM
Christians are never slutty are they?!?!?!?!
:p :silly: :unsure:

per4ever
May 11th, 2005, 10:05 PM
If the risk for AIDS is higher..it's just obvious isn't it? :confused:

flyingmachine
May 11th, 2005, 11:59 PM
Christians are never slutty are they?!?!?!?!
:p :silly: :unsure:
You never know. :angel:

~{X}~
May 12th, 2005, 12:05 AM

As would you Martijn, I'm sure. :lol:

~{X}~
May 12th, 2005, 12:06 AM
Actually, straight/married sperm is much better to the pallette! :devil:

Won't argue with you there. :drool: Haha. :D

James
May 12th, 2005, 07:00 AM

Since there are a lot of possibilities for testing, no it's not.

Wigglytuff
May 12th, 2005, 07:10 AM
straight white men are more at risk for being mass murderers...somehow though it the FDA tried to ban ALL STRAIGHT WHITE MEN because of that, i dont think your response would be the same.

CooCooCachoo
May 12th, 2005, 06:47 PM
As would you Martijn, I'm sure. :lol:

You are wrong :p

Crazy Canuck
May 12th, 2005, 09:30 PM
Do they not have to test all donated bodily fluids (bloody, sperm, etc.) anyways? So what is the problem then?

I remember being horrified the first time I gave blood at the realization that they ask whether or not you've slept with a "man who has slept with a man in the last 12 months" at the prescreeing. To be perfectly honest, I haven't given bloody since. It was uncomfortable. And it's a shame, because I feel that since I'm healthy I should be giving bloody at every possible interval. (also, the blood donour clinic is 7000 miles away, so I shouldn't try to sound like this is just an act of protest. It's also an act of laziness).

It's just absurd and totally unncessarily. Anything to keep discrimination alive, eh? They have to let other minorities donate so they better keep cracking on the gays to make up for it!

Crazy Canuck
May 12th, 2005, 09:33 PM
The risk for AIDS is greater for a woman who has slept with 20 men than it is for me, yet she can still do it without too much fuss. Here she can, at least. So far as I know ;)

This is why the blood and blah is tested. Donors can lie about their sex lives - or they can be totally honest but simply not realize that they are carrying something that can be transmitted through bodily fluids.

Kart
May 12th, 2005, 09:49 PM
Do they not have to test all donated bodily fluids (bloody, sperm, etc.) anyways? So what is the problem then?

I remember being horrified the first time I gave blood at the realization that they ask whether or not you've slept with a "man who has slept with a man in the last 12 months" at the prescreeing. To be perfectly honest, I haven't given bloody since. It was uncomfortable. And it's a shame, because I feel that since I'm healthy I should be giving bloody at every possible interval. (also, the blood donour clinic is 7000 miles away, so I shouldn't try to sound like this is just an act of protest. It's also an act of laziness).

It's just absurd and totally unncessarily. Anything to keep discrimination alive, eh? They have to let other minorities donate so they better keep cracking on the gays to make up for it!

I agree. I was put off giving blood by some of the questions they asked me - basically putting me in a position where I had to lie in order to try to be a helpful donor - despite knowing that I am clean.

Crazy Canuck
May 12th, 2005, 09:53 PM
Seeing as the lower class tends to fuck more than the upper class, maybe we should prevent poor people from donating blood too.

decemberlove
May 12th, 2005, 09:53 PM

i never understood that, either.

are the test they do afterwards not 100% accurate or something? do they just not tests the fluids enough?

if that's the case, scary.

i don't give blood, cos they have never allowed me to.

Crazy Canuck
May 12th, 2005, 09:55 PM
This thread is reminding me that I always write "bloody" instead of "blood". Damn you Y!

Oh, and before somebody tells me - yes, the thread is about sperm ;) Blood is related though so that is why I'm rambling about it;)

Crazy Canuck
May 12th, 2005, 09:56 PM
i never understood that, either.

are the test they do afterwards not 100% accurate or something? do they just not tests the fluids enough?

if that's the case, scary.

i don't give blood, cos they have never allowed me to.
Why not? Do you have piercings or tatoos? I have a piercing but it was done long enough that I could donate now if I wanted. If the reasons are personal feel free to just ignore the question.

decemberlove
May 12th, 2005, 09:56 PM
This thread is reminding me that I always write "bloody" instead of "blood". Damn you Y!

yes, i noticed that. :lol:

i was going to tease you by saying "i don't give bloody" but i decided against it :devil:

Crazy Canuck
May 12th, 2005, 09:58 PM
yes, i noticed that. :lol:

i was going to tease you by saying "i don't give bloody" but i decided against it :devil:

I can't help it! I just seem to be intimately linked to the Y key.

decemberlove
May 12th, 2005, 09:59 PM
Why not? Do you have piercings or tatoos? I have a piercing but it was done long enough that I could donate now if I wanted. If the reasons are personal feel free to just ignore the question.

please, like i care about giving away personal info :tape:

at the time, i did have two piercings, my eyebrow and my bellybutton.
they were both done three months before i tried to give blood.

but i think it was just cos i was so sickly looking at the time. i have really low blood sugar [i know you do too, right?] and it was winter. i tend to get really yellowish looking in the winter, not pink like most people.

i tried to give two years ago, and they said i was too thin. i don't know thou... i was 5'6" at 115lbs. i don't think that's too thin to give blood, but whatever.

Crazy Canuck
May 12th, 2005, 10:02 PM
please, like i care about giving away personal info :tape:

Well, there's a first time for everything so I was just making sure!

but i think it was just cos i was so sickly looking at the time. i have really low blood sugar [i know you do too, right?] and it was winter. i tend to get really yellowish looking in the winter, not pink like most people.

I'm always really pale. My blood sugar is only low if I don't watch my diet. I'm hypoglycemic so I just hav eto make sure I have some food in me so that I don't pass out.

i tried to give two years ago, and they said i was too thin. i don't know thou... i was 5'6" at 115lbs. i don't think that's too thin to give blood, but whatever.

That sounds normal to me if you have a slight build, which I'm assuming you do. Weird :shrug:

decemberlove
May 12th, 2005, 10:12 PM
I'm always really pale. My blood sugar is only low if I don't watch my diet. I'm hypoglycemic so I just hav eto make sure I have some food in me so that I don't pass out.

i never got professionally diagnosed by a doctor, but i know im almost there. i pass out if i dont have food. or i almost pass out if i dont have food. i've only passed out a few times. i usually catch myself before i actually faint.
i take like 54795823490 vitamins daily, and they have really helped me out. evening primose oil is great. you should try it out. it makes the skin glow too.

you are prolly pale pink, thou, right?. i am pale green/olive/yellow which can look very sickly in the winter, esp with the dark circles under my eyes. even when i am perfectly healthy, if i dont get some sun in the winter, i look like im two steps away from death. i dont wear make-up to try to cover it up, cos im too lazy. so i think i just scare them away.

That sounds normal to me if you have a slight build, which I'm assuming you do. Weird :shrug:

you've seen my pictures, no? i do have a slight build, but it's certainly not that slight, and i know people that are skinnier than me and have given blood.

im kind of glad i scared them away. i am terrified of needles. i prolly would've passed out as soon as i saw them coming with it. i heard they take a lot of blood. a few of my friends passed out in high school.

i was just trying to not be selfish by giving blood, but deep down, i didnt really want to do it.

SJW
May 12th, 2005, 10:17 PM
im not sure i like the taste of any sperm to be honest.

azza
May 17th, 2005, 05:45 AM
Boys not drinking there pineapple juice i see :lol:

SeanyQ
May 17th, 2005, 08:36 AM
Funny Azza, I was just thinking the same thing. At work, I drink at least 2 bottles of Pineapple juice a day - I've never had any complaints!! :drool:
As for giving blood - what a crock, the only difference between a gay guy & str8 (st8 to bed!) guy is a 6 pack & an ecky!!!! It shits me that I haven't been able to give blood since I was in high school, yet I'm more careful than str8 gyus I know! They should be screening it properly anyway.