PDA

View Full Version : Congrats, Chanda!

Brian Stewart
Apr 5th, 2002, 04:35 PM
There was a brief article in USA Today confirming what Rocketta told us days ago:

Chanda is this year's winner of the Hormel Player Who Makes a Difference Award at the Family Circle Cup. All I can say is AFT! She should have won this years ago. Better late than never, I suppose.

:mad: :fiery: @ USA Today for spelling her name wrong.

(I wrote them a polite correction. :angel: )

Beige
Apr 5th, 2002, 04:41 PM
Yup, they sure did. http://salacious.de/Smiliez/Gefuehle/Gluecklich/Winken/winken359.gif

Family Circle Cup to honor Rubin

CHARLESTON, S.C. — Chandra Rubin will be honored for her work away from the tennis court with "The Player Who Makes A Difference Award" at the Family Circle Cup later this month. Rubin, with three WTA Tour titles in her career, joins such past winners as Chris Evert, Martina Navratilova and Billie Jean King. Rubin will receive her award April 20 at the Family Circle Tennis Center. Rubin has worked with several charities and nonprofit organizations including Special Olympics, National Leukemia Foundation, American Heart Association, Athletes Against Drugs and the Boys & Girls Clubs.

griffin
Apr 5th, 2002, 04:44 PM
AFT indeed.

Chanda Rubin is everthing that is right with women's tennis AND a bag of chips!

vw43
Apr 5th, 2002, 04:48 PM
Congrats Chanda!

It is terribly rude that they managed to spell Evert right but could not manage Chanda..:rolleyes:

Sonja
Apr 5th, 2002, 04:50 PM
Congratulations Chanda!

Josh
Apr 5th, 2002, 04:56 PM
Yay for Chanda :kiss:! Hopefully she'll be back on court soon. :)

irma
Apr 5th, 2002, 04:58 PM
I have read what she all does for the world and I think she fully deserves it
congratulations to her:)

tia clara
Apr 5th, 2002, 05:03 PM
Congratulations to Chandra! I hope they will show it on TV during the Tournament.

She is one very classy young woman.

CHANDA!!! I can't believe I did the same stupid thing as the article. Okay, now, 100 times: Chanda, Chanda, Chanda, ...
:o :o :o :o :o :o

brickhousesupporter
Apr 5th, 2002, 05:18 PM
Congratulations Chanda

This is well deserved.:)

Rollo
Apr 5th, 2002, 05:39 PM
She deserves it for all her work:)
How's her health Brian? Is she in the process of coming back?

thefreedesigner
Apr 5th, 2002, 05:57 PM
Just wade in here with a congrats for chanda! Hope she's back soon. :)

geoepee
Apr 5th, 2002, 07:08 PM
Congrats to Chanda!

Get well soon! :)

saki
Apr 5th, 2002, 07:57 PM
:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

About bloody time too!

GogoGirl
Apr 5th, 2002, 08:09 PM
Thanks Chanda for taking time out to support all your charities. I understand the young ones luv u. U deserve their admiration. Good luck girlie-girl.

Halardfan
Apr 5th, 2002, 09:32 PM
Congrats Chanda, on your much deserved award. :)

Hope she gets back to the top very very soon. :)

Rocketta
Apr 5th, 2002, 09:51 PM
Congrats Chanda is right! Now I just need to pay those high behind tickets to go see her get the award!:sad: :sad:

Va'Shaundra
Apr 5th, 2002, 09:54 PM
Biggin up my girl Chandra! :D

Monica_Rules
Apr 5th, 2002, 09:55 PM
WELL DONE CHANDA!:D

I just hope to see her on the court soon!:)

Zl@tko
Apr 5th, 2002, 10:24 PM
Congrats :)

Kart
Apr 5th, 2002, 10:43 PM
Congratulations to her :).

Justinator
Apr 5th, 2002, 11:04 PM
Congrats Chanda! :)

Dawn Marie
Apr 5th, 2002, 11:10 PM
This is good to hear, Chanda is a sweet women on and off the court. She and Sandrine were something special at the US Open in 2000. They both posed for pictures and were so kind when I saw them play/practice (LIVE).

I wish I could see Chanda get her award it is much deserved If I say so myself!!:) :) :D :D :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :) :) :D :D

GoSandrine
Apr 6th, 2002, 12:13 AM
YAY!!! :bounce:

I'm soooo happy for Chanda - she's such a sweetheart! And I'm soooo excited she'll be back in action soon. :hearts:

Chanda, you're aces in my book. :kiss:

moon
Apr 6th, 2002, 12:21 AM
Yayy for Chanda!
Hopefully they will show a part of the ceremony when the tourney is on TV.

Linnie
Apr 6th, 2002, 12:48 AM
It couldn't have happened to a nicer player!
CONGRATS, CHANDA!! :D

JasonW
Apr 6th, 2002, 01:10 AM
Chanda is still committed at Amelia Island, so she should be back soon...

MaRKy MaRk
Apr 6th, 2002, 02:46 AM
YAYYY!!! Ican't wait to see Chanda back in action.

And congrats on the award! You truly deserve it!

tennischick
Apr 6th, 2002, 03:02 AM
i met Chanda at the USO two years ago and she was very sweet to me. she seemed, even in our brief encounter, to be such a nice person. and i enjoyed watching her practice -- she plays very well and hits the ball with spunk. too bad injuries have side-lined her for so long but at least she is getting some recognition. nice....

galadriel
Apr 6th, 2002, 11:54 AM
Congratulation :bounce:

Brian Stewart
Apr 6th, 2002, 02:57 PM
I received a couple of interesting emails late yesterday. The first was from USA Today, apologizing for the mistake and promising to correct it. They did, so plaudits to them. A lot of sites wouldn't bother with either the correction or the personal response.

The second was from an agent at Octagon, Chanda's management company, with the latest news on her condition, ETR, etc. It's in my Yahoo group (see sig). (If you think that's a cheap ploy to boost membership, you're right.:))

Va'Shaundra
Apr 6th, 2002, 04:01 PM
Yall check it. Dis got me thinkin dat it be now 1 year since dat Jewish girl Chandra Levy been missin. :sad:

GoSandrine
Apr 6th, 2002, 04:09 PM
:rolleyes:

arn
Apr 6th, 2002, 04:10 PM
Well done Chanda!!

Come back soon!!

Va'Shaundra
Apr 6th, 2002, 04:12 PM
Sandrien why u trippin? Aint it sad 2 u dat they aint done found her yet????

GoSandrine
Apr 6th, 2002, 04:35 PM
Va'Shaundra, I was just joshin you - payback for the rolled eyes you gave me in the Jennifer thread last week.

:angel:

Va'Shaundra
Apr 6th, 2002, 04:59 PM
Lol! Ok honey s'all good. :p

Rocketta
Apr 6th, 2002, 08:43 PM
Here's an article from Sanex site.......................

Chanda Rubin Wins Player Who Makes A Difference Award For 2002
Family Circle Magazine and Hormel Foods Honor Rubin’s Efforts Off Court
April 05, 2002

CHARLESTON, SC (April 4, 2002) - As a child Chanda Rubin was taught the importance of giving back to her community and she has taken that lesson to heart by being a positive role model for all those willing to make a difference. Because of her commitment and dedication to worthwhile causes Rubin was named today as winner of this year’s Family Circle/Hormel Foods “Player Who Makes a Difference” award. This award celebrates her contributions off court to causes not only in her home state of Louisiana but also on a national level. Through her efforts, Rubin provides these organizations not only with financial support but also helps to create much needed awareness of their programs and projects.

"Professional athletes often serve as positive role models but it is rare to find an athlete like Chanda Rubin who is passionately committed to making a difference in the lives of children," says Susan Ungaro, Editor-in-Chief of Family Circle magazine. "Chanda's humanitarian efforts on behalf of disadvantaged and disabled youngsters is the inspiration and reason for honoring her with our award this year."

The “Player Who Makes a Difference” award has been in existence since 1992 and some of the most influential women in the history of women’s professional tennis have received this award. Over the past ten years, Zina Garrison, Martina Navratilova, Andrea Jaeger, Chris Evert, Pam Shriver, Billie Jean King, Mary Joe Fernandez, Monica Seles, Arantxa Sanchez-Vicario and Martina Hingis have all earned the distinction of “Player Who Makes a Difference” winners. The award, created by Family Circle magazine and Hormel Foods, honors and celebrates a woman professional tennis player who made the most outstanding contributions of both time and energy to worthy causes. Each company donates $10,000 to the charity of the winner’s choice. A selection committee made up of key officials from Family Circle magazine, Hormel Foods and Sanex WTA Tour chose this year’s winner. The presentation of the “Player Who Makes a Difference” award and check will be made on center court in a special ceremony on Saturday, April 20th, at the Family Circle Cup in Charleston, South Carolina (April 13-21).

“Chanda is a terrific example of how one individual can help make a difference in the lives of people who are faced with extraordinary challenges everyday,” stated Joe Swedberg, Vice President Marketing, Hormel Foods Corporation. “This award was created to celebrate that achievement.”

Rubin started her professional tennis career in 1991 and reached a career high singles ranking of No. 6. Over the past 11 years, she has accumulated numerous honors in tennis. She has won three Sanex WTA Tour singles titles and ten doubles titles including a Grand Slam doubles championship at the 1996 Australian Open. In addition to her success on the court, her contributions off the court have also been well documented.

Over the years she has won numerous awards for her philanthropic work. In 1997 USA Weekend magazine honored Rubin as one of four “Most Caring Athletes” for her humanitarian efforts in working with disabled and disadvantaged children. That same year she won the Arthur Ashe Leadership Award for her commitment to community involvement and her work with programs that benefit children. Throughout her career, she has been involved with numerous charities and non-profit organizations including Special Olympics, National Leukemia Foundation, American Heart Association, Athletes Against Drugs and the Boys & Girls Clubs. She has filmed PSA’s over the past year for Breast Cancer and Special Olympics. Rubin has served as presenting sponsor for the North American Championships since 2000. The North American Championships, a series of five ITF junior tennis events, gives young American tennis players the opportunity to gain experience on an international playing field. Her annual “Christmas Gift to Acadiana” fundraising gala features some of the top stars in professional tennis. Last year Venus and Serena Williams, Mal Washington, the Jensen brothers and Mary Pierce attended the event, which raised over $100,000, which was used to promote grassroots tennis across America.

Rubin has decided to use the $20,000 grant money to help fund the efforts of the Chanda Rubin Tennis & Scholarship Foundation. The Chanda Rubin Tennis & Scholarship Foundation was established in 1998 in association with the Southern Tennis Patrons Foundation. The foundation’s mission is to provide educational and athletic opportunities to deserving youth and organizations. She will use the money to help various organizations that depend on the foundation for financial support each year.

“I was blessed to have two parents who instilled in their children the belief that everyone can make a difference and giving back to your community was not only important but essential,” stated Rubin. “My involvement with these organizations has become such an important part of my life and by honoring me with this award, Family Circle magazine and Hormel Foods also acknowledge the fine work of these organizations.”

The Family Circle Cup, owned and operated by Family Circle magazine, will be held April 13 – 21 at the Family Circle Tennis Center in Charleston, South Carolina. The Family Circle Cup is celebrating 30 years in women’s professional tennis and will feature some of the biggest names in women’s tennis including Jennifer Capriati, Monica Seles, Serena Williams, Anna Kournikova, Justine Henin and Amelie Mauresmo. The tournament is one of the longest running women’s professional tennis events in the United States and showcases a week of world-class tennis. Ticket packages are now on sale and a variety of packages are available. For more information on the Family Circle Cup and the Family Circle Tennis Center at Daniel Island, please call (800) 677.2293 or (843) 856.7900. To check out the latest news on the Family Circle Cup contact our tournament’s official website at www.familycirclecup.com.

2ace2
Apr 6th, 2002, 08:47 PM
Well done, Chanda!!!
:D

Brian Stewart
Apr 7th, 2002, 01:51 PM
Thanks for posting that article, Rocketta! Because of whatever Ignite Sports has done to the site, I can't access half of it.

Sam L
Apr 7th, 2002, 02:06 PM
Thanx for the news and congrats to Chanda! :)

Amanda
Apr 7th, 2002, 04:53 PM
Congratulations, Chanda!

Chanda is one of the most admired women on the WTA tour.:)

Rocketta
Apr 7th, 2002, 09:29 PM
Originally posted by Brian Stewart
Thanks for posting that article, Rocketta! Because of whatever Ignite Sports has done to the site, I can't access half of it.

you're welcome :wavey: