PDA

View Full Version : Tuesday report

HectorMagnus
May 10th, 2005, 05:15 PM
:wavey:

first of all: I have to tell you about one sweet person: Anne Kremer :hearts:. My friend (who's super tennis fan and likes Anne very much) wished Anne good luck, she smiled at her and thanked her. :D At the end of that super, super match Anne once again thanked her for support and waved her smiling and happy :hug:. Anne's real, real sweetie and appreciates her fans which is wonderful :yeah: and :smooch:.

What a contrast to Strycova who once again acted like bi*** and screamed on her supporter fuck off :retard: :retard: :retard: :retard:

But I'll start with morning matches. First match of the day for me was Loit - Brandi. I expected win for Loit but French girl didn't have her day. Her FH is :yeah: but she needs to be fully in game and that didn't happen. First set was long, tight and none of players was better then opponent. Brandi has unusual hold of racket while playing BH but it's her best stroke and she can rely on it. :bounce: First set was serial of breaks and rebreaks, Brandi was *5:3 up but didn't hold and long set finished for Emilie 7:6. Second set continued in same way: not many winners but more mistakes from both sides and especially Emilie started to be the weaker player. End of set was nervous and some balls were checked; Emilie was put out of countenance by her mistake and then got a violation for swearing. :devil:
Emilie was very angry, she told to umpire that she couldn't know what she had said, because she didn't speak French :haha: :o
But Loit showed her weak side and Brandi finally understood that she could beat her and grab the win. Brandi took second 7:5 and was mentally up.
I left for another match, because I bet on Pastikova and wanted to see her. :lick:
First set was already done, Michaela started second with break. I saw Pastikova last year in Prostejov and have to say that she's much better now. Especially BH is her great weapon. Ludmila Cervanova played clasical all court game but she has one minus - is absolutely unable to hit a winner. :banghead: She won second set but with great help of Michaela who made several errors. :fiery:
Final set was all in Pastikova's possesion, Cervanova was hopeless and didn't even fight in the end.
I went to see rest of Koukalova - Peer match, but I was able to catch only last game. Shahar made 4 DF in last game :confused:, saved some matchpoints but in the end, she lost. Not much I can tell about Peer's game: I saw some really nice winner from BH side but one game isn't enough to make any conclusion :shrug:

Match of the day: super sweetie Kremer and super nothing Strycova.
Anne grabbed first break and never looked back in first set. Strycova made many mistakes, was angry, vulgar, acted like uneducated child.... :silly: :ras:
Second set was more tight, Anne breaks for *1:0, then was easily broken. Strycova sometimes found her strokes, perfomed nice winners from both sides but also made UE's. Anne played really good: her strokes were accurate, long and put a presure on her opponent. Key moment happened when Anne served at *2:3 - she was able to save BP's and leveled the score. Strycova then (again) collapsed like a house of cards, lost her serve and let Anne to earn a desicive lead. Anne went for win :hehehe: at *5:4, her third MP crowned her perfect effort :yeah: :bigclap: :bigclap: :dance: :clap2:.

One last match (with special dedication to Jodie :kiss: ); Matevzic - Tu.
It was clear that Maja lacks matches and isn't exercised. But she showed great fight and with biiiig help :help: from Tu (who missed easy strokes and was a bit vain today :tape: ). Maja looks fit (even thin to me) and has a movement I wouldn't expect from someone who has been out of tennis for so long but it's true that she was tired in the end and sometimes only returned ball back. To her game: I saw great variation and mixture of strokes and some really nice winners from Maja, who was greatly supported by her coach (or father, dunno :shrug: ). She wasn't nervous but fully concentrated on her game. Of course, the performance wasn't as gorgeous but she deserves great, great applause today and I wish she would be able to continue with her comeback on tour and wish her no more injuries because her best tennis is really nice to see. :banana:

all for now :nerner:

Drimal
May 10th, 2005, 05:50 PM
:wavey:

first of all: I have to tell you about one sweet person: Anne Kremer :hearts:. My friend (who's super tennis fan and likes Anne very much) wished Anne good luck, she smiled at her and thanked her. :D At the end of that super, super match Anne once again thanked her for support and waved her smiling and happy :hug:. Anne's real, real sweetie and appreciates her fans which is wonderful :yeah: and :smooch:.

Match of the day: super sweetie Kremer and super nothing Strycova.
Anne grabbed first break and never looked back in first set. Strycova made many mistakes, was angry, vulgar, acted like uneducated child.... :silly: :ras:
Second set was more tight, Anne breaks for *1:0, then was easily broken. Strycova sometimes found her strokes, perfomed nice winners from both sides but also made UE's. Anne played really good: her strokes were accurate, long and put a presure on her opponent. Key moment happened when Anne served at *2:3 - she was able to save BP's and leveled the score. Strycova then (again) collapsed like a house of cards, lost her serve and let Anne to earn a desicive lead. Anne went for win :hehehe: at *5:4, her third MP crowned her perfect effort :yeah: :bigclap: :bigclap: :dance: :clap2:.

Anne is certainly the nicest player in the top 100. She has alot of respect to all the players on the court and to her fans. :yeah:

Welcome back on the winning track, Anne Kremer! :drive: :aparty: :hug:

PS: I've made some investigations; the last time that Anne baggled her opponent was in second round of Seoul 2004 (7:6(4) 6:0 against Rika Fujiwara). :D

gsm
May 10th, 2005, 05:59 PM
barbora must learn some manners , but for some reason she is still my fav underdog.

thanks hector , wonderfull report!!!

chopen
May 10th, 2005, 06:54 PM
thanks a lot hector

Meteor Shower
May 10th, 2005, 06:55 PM
Shahar :fiery: 4 DF while serving to stay in the match? not good at all...

thanks HM, interesting and great report :) maybe next year shahar will reach farther and you can see her :)

CooCooCachoo
May 10th, 2005, 07:27 PM
HM I love your reports. They are insighftul and your use of smileys cracks me up :D ;)

And it is true. Anne is one of the nicest players around. She is really friendly to fans and actually remembers them too ;) The same goes for Claudine Schaul. These LUX players are really great, when I think a lot of the people in Luxembourg are just rude (from my experience at the tourney last year).

Jodie
May 10th, 2005, 07:29 PM
One last match (with special dedication to Jodie :kiss: ); Matevzic - Tu.
It was clear that Maja lacks matches and isn't exercised. But she showed great fight and with biiiig help :help: from Tu (who missed easy strokes and was a bit vain today :tape: ). Maja looks fit (even thin to me) and has a movement I wouldn't expect from someone who has been out of tennis for so long but it's true that she was tired in the end and sometimes only returned ball back. To her game: I saw great variation and mixture of strokes and some really nice winners from Maja, who was greatly supported by her coach (or father, dunno :shrug: ). She wasn't nervous but fully concentrated on her game. Of course, the performance wasn't as gorgeous but she deserves great, great applause today and I wish she would be able to continue with her comeback on tour and wish her no more injuries because her best tennis is really nice to see. :banana:

:D Thanks!! :kiss:
Great to hear that Maja is playing good :worship:
And your story is at http://www.majamatevzic.com at the slovenian section ;)
Just saw it...

CooCooCachoo
May 10th, 2005, 07:32 PM
Maja :inlove:

spiceboy
May 10th, 2005, 07:36 PM
Anne is certainly the nicest player in the top 100.

You probably haven't met Amy Frazier ;)

Grafiati
May 10th, 2005, 07:41 PM
Here is some more news on Tuesday's matches:

I caught at least a little bit of all of the singles matches, though the only one I saw every single point of was Dokic/Ondraskova.

As for Loit/Brandi, what Loit had yelled was "Putain!" and she did indeed tell the chair umpire "But you don't speak French, we say it all the time, it's not bad". When the chair umpire refused to budge and kept the warning, I heard Loit tell her (so that only the fans near her could hear) "Pute, qu'est-ce que c'est ca???"!!!!

I have always enjoyed Brandi but I was hoping Loit could win... unfortunately didn't get to see any of the third set to see what happened.

Craybas had few problems with Sucha. She was playing decently, almost as well as in her practices, and she fully deserved her win.

Weingartner looked out of sorts against Diaz-Oliva. It really seems to be true that she is either in the zone or loses love sets like it's nobody's business. Today she was not on and so lost.

Pratt was more tentative than in her practice sessions but only had minimal problems against Meusburger- it is kind of sad, as Meusburger seems to walk around the grounds totally unrecognized and alone, as if even the other players don't know her or talk to her. Just an observation.

I had never seen Jamea Jackson live, and I don't think I have even seen her on TV. She impressed me with her solid game and positive attitude. Her groundstrokes are solid and technically sound (heck, she makes Venus' forehand look like an amateur's in terms of technique) while her serve seemed to be alright (can't recall how good it was). Parra isn't a bad player, but she didn't have the sting on her shots to get a win.

Pastikova seems to have a really friendly, open personality- I noticed this yesterday and again during the warmup. It doesn't hurt, either, that I think she's hot! I have never seen anything special with Cervanova, so I'm glad that Pastikova took the win- I only saw their warmup and a few points of a few games, so I cannot comment on the match itself.

Peer fought really hard against Koukalova. I didn't see the Seles/Koukalova match in Australia, but it doesn't surprise me that Klara got a victory- I don't care if Seles had an injury, Klara can play. She hits REALLY hard and flat- her shots are fun to watch- though her forehand sometimes flies long when she isn't careful. I was impressed with her game and think she can win the tournament if she stays sharp mentally. Peer never gives up, and I respect her a lot. Her serve needs to get more pace and be more reliable, but she has a good start to her career.

Safina and Dokic were practicing together- I didn't see a lot of it, but Jelena had pants on once again... hard to see if her legs are toned, but I don't think so.

Pous Tio was far, far, far superior to Yakimova. I had never seen Pous Tio play before and let me tell you guys, on clay she is a very solid player. I don't know how she will be on other surfaces but for now, she is a tough opponent. She moves pretty well and all of her shots are solid. Yakimova was ticked off but is just a weaker player.

Anne Kremer- ahhh, I agree with everyone who says that Anne is a sweetheart. Every time I have seen her at an event she has been so caring towards anyone involved- fans, linespeople, players, everyone. She's one of my favorite underdogs and she had a great first set (I saw all of it) against Strycova. She actually wasn't hitting as hard as in practice, but maybe she knew that keeping it deep would be enough against Strycova. I agree with the people who got down on Strycova- she came across as a pathetic, whiny person. I am not trying to offend her fans, but judging by today she is described in two words: lazy Fattie. Yes, I may not know her well, and perhaps she is usually in good shape or a hard worker, but today she was overweight and very lazy. No question.

Poor Meilen Tu- she could have won her match in straight sets, no problem, but she made things difficult for herself by missing easy shots once she opened up points. Maja is indeed skinny (as reported) and her strategy of topspinning her forehand and usually slicing her backhand somehow won the match. Meilen was getting encouragement from Kremer's coach (who may also be hers? They talked after the match) but she couldn't find ways to win enough game or break points. I know Maja has been out for a bit, but even when I saw her on tv before I didn't find her game to be imposing. I appreciate players with variety and all, but I don't think she has enough to make her that interesting, so I didn't watch the whole match, just parts and the ends of each set.

Dinara Safina had a tough opponent- I didn't know Libuse could play that well. Still, I doubt Dinara's ability to be a top 10 player, just as I always have. She isn't as slow as Davenport but she doesn't have good quickness (though I can tell she is training hard by the great figure she has). Her strokes are good but they aren't punishing to put away players on clay. The thing that impressed me most was her intensity- she was pumping herself up to win the third set (I only saw the 1st and 3rd sets, not the 2nd) and stayed mentally sharp- unlike brother Marat!

Weingartner had some problem with her leg during the doubles match- she didn't look to be a good doubles partner to Jill Craybas anyway.

Daniilidou and Tanasugarn warmed each other up on an outside court before the doubles match but, since both had lost in singles, I wouldn't be lying if I said I don't think they played their hardest.

Hopkins was practicing in all pink with Benesova.

I saw the entire Dokic match and it was not very easy to watch as a former and current-but-less-enthusiastic Dokic fan. Jelena is NOT in very good shape, though she kept pants on for the match and hid her legs still. She can hit the ball hard and show flashes of her prior form, but she did not get to dropshots, she got lazy in the second set, and in the first set she was clearly unfocused: she was directing the ballkids on how to keep balls on each side of her and shook her head at herself even after hitting winners. By the time of the second set, she stopped shaking her head and just stared at her coach after points. She was close in nearly every game, with break or game points much of the time, but she had a bad attitude and started netting a lot of shots in the second set. When she could have gotten back into it, she hit a swinging volley at a floating ball that was going wide and she missed. Not a good choice.

Ondraskova was a pesky opponent. She is a good athlete who tracked down tons of balls, and she had a decent counterattack to win.

If I remember more things I will add on later, but one of the funniest sights was Eleni chatting with tall Dick Norman of Belgium outside Court 2- a random pairing that I got a few pics of.

This is not WTA-related, but Gael Monfils was fantastic to watch. He has the energy of an NBA or NFL player, he's a lot of fun to watch, and he has such a good sense of humor (especially if you are a French speaker) that it's nice to have a young prospect who likes what he's doing.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask- I didn't take any notes during the day, so all I have is my memory to rely on.

-Jared

CooCooCachoo
May 10th, 2005, 08:00 PM
Jared, Meilen and Anne often practise together and I think they are friends ;) They also occasionally play doubles together.

Zl@tko
May 10th, 2005, 08:08 PM
I was also at the tournament today! :D

Like Grafiati I saw a bit of every match, only match I watched from start to the end was Dokic/Ondraskova and Safina/Prusova.

I watched some practice sessions, Jelena was hitting with Dinara, Iveta played practice match with Hopkins, I also saw Jamea practicing afternoon. Tammy was hitting with Eleni before their doubles match - they lost, but the last game was so long - Eleni was serving, she and Tamarine saved like 5 mp's or so, also had advantage, but in the end they lost.

I was really hoping Jelena could win, she came up with some great shots, but she also did many mistakes.

btw, anybody knows who was the guy with Jelena? new coach?

After the play was over, I saw Eleni and Nicole Pratt in the tennis club's restaurant.

I took pics of Iveta, Tammy, Jelena, Dinara and Eleni, but I will post them later, because it was my friends' camera.

Wiggly
May 10th, 2005, 08:11 PM
Here is some more news on Tuesday's matches:

I caught at least a little bit of all of the singles matches, though the only one I saw every single point of was Dokic/Ondraskova.

As for Loit/Brandi, what Loit had yelled was "Putain!" and she did indeed tell the chair umpire "But you don't speak French, we say it all the time, it's not bad". When the chair umpire refused to budge and kept the warning, I heard Loit tell her (so that only the fans near her could hear) "Pute, qu'est-ce que c'est ca???"!!!!

:eek: :haha: Sometimes I said "Putain" but in Quebec is much more correct (okay) to said it then in France, same thing to said "Oh no! :lol:

Mathijs
May 10th, 2005, 08:32 PM
thanks again for your great reports, they are really great to read!! :bounce:

shirgan
May 10th, 2005, 08:35 PM
Thanks for the reports :worship:

lauryn
May 10th, 2005, 08:39 PM
Thanks for sharing :)

Wiggly
May 10th, 2005, 09:01 PM
Did Ivtea beats Jennifer? ;) :p

tobi
May 10th, 2005, 09:10 PM
Thanx so much for reports :),but Emilie :bigcry:

Yellow Moon
May 10th, 2005, 09:44 PM
Hi guys & galls in Prague, thx for the neat reports :hatoff: . Got any pics to share, HectorM, Grafiati/Jared, Zlatko :angel: ? Us fellow-threaders from overseas have a hard time :banghead: catching much imagery, nota bene TV/satelite coverage...

Much obliged, YeMo. :wavey:

rated_next
May 10th, 2005, 09:58 PM
thanks guys :)

urklerlay
May 10th, 2005, 10:08 PM
Tu (who missed easy strokes and was a bit vain today :tape: ).

Hector-- being a fan of Meilens, can you please further explain how she looked "a bit vain today"? I'm just curious...thx if you have time!

Also, thanks everyone for the EXCELLENT match reports....i read them and feel like i was there ... almost.

tucker1989
May 11th, 2005, 02:07 AM
Thanks for the reports, especially the information on Jamea!!!

Sharapova's_Boy
May 11th, 2005, 05:55 AM
Thanks for the reports. :D

I agree with the stuff about Barbora though - she has a horrible on court demeanour. And it's just so frustrating because when she's firing on all cylinders her game is just :hearts:. She just needs to learn to control her frustration, and get in better shape.

HectorMagnus
May 11th, 2005, 06:27 AM
Hector-- being a fan of Meilens, can you please further explain how she looked "a bit vain today"? I'm just curious...thx if you have time!

Also, thanks everyone for the EXCELLENT match reports....i read them and feel like i was there ... almost.

yes, of course: I saw all her Q matches so I know how she had played them and what effort she had performed but yesterday (in comparision to her qualification) she didn't show anything - in third set tired Maja had moments when she simply sent every ball in Melein's middle, with no power at all, just to stay in the game and Meilen did unbelievable mistakes with it - not only missed it but when she tried to attack and prepare 100% position for end, she sent it wide or sent it into net, it was so frustrating; I believe that Meilen's doing everything to erase that match out of her memory.... :banghead:

Vamos Feńa
May 11th, 2005, 06:33 AM
I saw the entire Dokic match and it was not very easy to watch as a former and current-but-less-enthusiastic Dokic fan. Jelena is NOT in very good shape, though she kept pants on for the match and hid her legs still. She can hit the ball hard and show flashes of her prior form, but she did not get to dropshots, she got lazy in the second set, and in the first set she was clearly unfocused: she was directing the ballkids on how to keep balls on each side of her and shook her head at herself even after hitting winners. By the time of the second set, she stopped shaking her head and just stared at her coach after points. She was close in nearly every game, with break or game points much of the time, but she had a bad attitude and started netting a lot of shots in the second set. When she could have gotten back into it, she hit a swinging volley at a floating ball that was going wide and she missed. Not a good choice.

She stared at her coach? Who is her coach!? :confused:

Drimal
May 11th, 2005, 06:39 AM
HM I love your reports. They are insighftul and your use of smileys cracks me up :D ;)

And it is true. Anne is one of the nicest players around. She is really friendly to fans and actually remembers them too ;) The same goes for Claudine Schaul. These LUX players are really great, when I think a lot of the people in Luxembourg are just rude (from my experience at the tourney last year).

Our tennis players are great and nice :worship: but the behaviour of the people in Luxembourg is just :rolleyes: :o :lol: . Most of them are arrogant and especially the so-called "new rich people" are looking down on the people with less money. But the worst is the slight corruption in Luxembourg; if you know an important person working in the government you don't need to study hard because you will receive the job instead of other job seekers... :tape:

Sometimes it is really desperating living in a country with so many people being rude and arrogant. :sad: :tape: In a country where tennis is so neglected by the news (without wtaworld I wouldn't know much details about matches of my faves!). Football is the sport number 1 but our national football team is just embarrassing (losing even 0:4 to nations like Liechtenstein) but the newspapers write on many pages from all the crap they were playing recently and the television is showing these boring football matches live but they never show tennis matches. :sad:

forever_rafter
May 11th, 2005, 06:58 AM
Thank you for the reports! Can't wait for Eleni's photos

CooCooCachoo
May 11th, 2005, 07:02 AM
Our tennis players are great and nice :worship: but the behaviour of the people in Luxembourg is just :rolleyes: :o :lol: . Most of them are arrogant and especially the so-called "new rich people" are looking down on the people with less money. But the worst is the slight corruption in Luxembourg; if you know an important person working in the government you don't need to study hard because you will receive the job instead of other job seekers... :tape:

Sometimes it is really desperating living in a country with so many people being rude and arrogant. :sad: :tape: In a country where tennis is so neglected by the news (without wtaworld I wouldn't know much details about matches of my faves!). Football is the sport number 1 but our national football team is just embarrassing (losing even 0:4 to nations like Liechtenstein) but the newspapers write on many pages from all the crap they were playing recently and the television is showing these boring football matches live but they never show tennis matches. :sad:

:lol: It is good that you have the same opinion as I do ;) I really didn't like 90% of the Luxembourg people that I ran into there :eek: It is such a change from Belgium; Belgian people generally are so kind and helpful.

And yes I noticed that there was a lot of info on football, which I found weird.

Oh I did love how the capital Luxembourg looked. Very historic :D I just hate the stupid city where the tournament was :lol:

Grafiati
May 11th, 2005, 07:35 AM
I'm not sure who Dokic's coach is- he is pretty young, dark hair that is slightly long and a bit wavy/curly, looks like he may be from a country in the Balkans... if I was reading up on Dokic more I might know the name from an article or something, but I'm sorry I don't know who he is.

As for pics, I took about 90 pics yesterday (men and women) but it's not my camera nor my computer that I am using, so I will have to see when I get a chance to post a few.

I won't go to the matches today (not a great schedule IMO) but will be there on Thursday.

Ciao! :D