PDA

View Full Version : Math: Triganometry: HELP!!!

twight6
May 10th, 2005, 04:36 PM
I need help doing triganometry for math! Can someone explain it to me? I don't understand the sign, cosign, cos, sin, bla, bla bla! it makes no sense to me! if someone oucld help me i would really appreciate it!!!

Andy_
May 10th, 2005, 04:39 PM
I need help doing triganometry for math! Can someone explain it to me? I don't understand the sign, cosign, cos, sin, bla, bla bla! it makes no sense to me! if someone oucld help me i would really appreciate it!!!

I wonder if that can actually be explained over an internet board... :scratch: What are your problems related to? Your questions, right now, seem kinda general...

twight6
May 10th, 2005, 04:43 PM
I wonder if that can actually be explained over an internet board... :scratch: What are your problems related to? Your questions, right now, seem kinda general...

like if there was a triangle, and the hypotenus was 5 ft. and the angle was 15 degrees, how would i solve the problem?

skanky~skanketta
May 10th, 2005, 04:45 PM
it depends on which line u need to find. i loved trig.

Andy_
May 10th, 2005, 04:49 PM
like if there was a triangle, and the hypotenus was 5 ft. and the angle was 15 degrees, how would i solve the problem?

One line is 5ft*cos(15), the other one's 5ft*sin(15).

twight6
May 10th, 2005, 04:54 PM
it depends on which line u need to find. i loved trig.

what if it was like this, and i want to find all three? (check attachment)

twight6
May 10th, 2005, 04:57 PM
One line is 5ft*cos(15), the other one's 5ft*sin(15).

is that what i put into the calculator? how do i know which 1 to use?

Andy_
May 10th, 2005, 04:59 PM
what if it was like this, and i want to find all three? (check attachment)

In that case, you'd have:
BC (hypotenus): you have that already, 5 ft
BA: 5 sin (15) = 1.294 ft
AC: 5 cos (15) = 4.829 ft

~Cherry*Blossom~
May 10th, 2005, 05:03 PM
I can only help with Double Angles and that stuff :o

I have forgotten all the easy stuff, but I know advanced trig really well. Also, if you need to apply calculus to trigonometric functions, just ask me :)

Andy_
May 10th, 2005, 05:03 PM
is that what i put into the calculator? how do i know which 1 to use?

You should have in your trigonometry book a little picture where it gives you the definition of sin, cos, tan and all the other trigonometric functions.
It should speak of a circle with radius = unity, and use a generic angle to define what sin and cos are - ie the measure of the projection of the radius forming the angle with the horizontal line on the horizontal diameter itself and on its very perpendicular line (sorry for the probably poor mathematical vocabulary, this ain't my first language and I've never had a math book in English!).
In the exercise you've just asked us about, you basically have the same kind of angle, in the same kind of circle, only that its radius - that corresponds to the hypotenus - measures 5 instead of 1. :)
I hope that makes sense... somehow!

Andy_
May 10th, 2005, 05:04 PM
I have forgotten all the easy stuff, but I know advanced trig really weel. Also, if you need to apply calculus to trigonometric functions, just ask me :)

Let us help I♥Lindsay start from scratch first, then we'll move on to Calculus ;)

zuluagafan
May 10th, 2005, 05:05 PM
remember this:

Sin=
Opposite over:
Hypotenus

Cosine=
Adjecent over:
Hypotenus

Tangent=
Opposite
Adjecent

hope it helps
just remember this word SOH CAH TOA

Sally Struthers
Angel B .... sin B is opposite/hypotenuse ... so

36/39 = 12/13

cos B is adjacent/hypotenuse = 15/39 =5/13

tangent B is opposite/adjactent = 36/15 = 12/5

for angle c

sin C = 15/39 =5/13
cos C = 36/39 = 12/13
tan C = 15/36 = 5/12

for angle A sine = 1
cosine = 0
tan = infinity

now that you have all the sin.cos/tan values use the inverse button on the calculator to find the angle degrees..

for example angle C = 22.61 degrees then to find angle B...

180=B+90+22.6

B= 67.39 degrees

Jericho
And make sure your calculator is in the right mode...degrees or radians...degrees im guessing for trig and radians for calculus

I can only help with Double Angles and that stuff :o

I have forgotten all the easy stuff, but I know advanced trig really well. Also, if you need to apply calculus to trigonometric functions, just ask me :)

i hated trig... but i do know dy/dx sinx = cosx ;) ...and thats about it :p

Stamp Paid
May 10th, 2005, 05:18 PM
remember this:

Sin=
Opposite over:
Hypotenus

Cosine=
Adjecent over:
Hypotenus

Tangent=
Opposite
Adjecent

hope it helps

or how my high school physics teacher told us, Oscar Had A Heap Of Apples. :lol::lol::lol:

bis2806
May 10th, 2005, 05:19 PM
Since people have helped you out already, PM if you have more questions!

SelesFan70
May 10th, 2005, 06:16 PM
:scared: I'm having horrible flashbacks here...I believe if you don't "get it" early on, you never will because each thing builds off the others. Math is way too logical for me. :o

twight6
May 10th, 2005, 07:26 PM
what happened was, i took advanced math (math A), and i am in 8th grade. today and tomorrow we are having the math 8 assessment tests and we need to know how to do this but we aren't learning it in math a until the end of may.

Thank you all so much! I think i get it now!!! :kiss:

Pengwin
May 10th, 2005, 08:06 PM
remember this:

Sin=
Opposite over:
Hypotenus

Cosine=
Adjecent over:
Hypotenus

Tangent=
Opposite
Adjecent

hope it helps

Nah:

Sex on holiday comes after having tonnes of ale :P

zuluagafan
May 10th, 2005, 11:33 PM
lol yeah i just remembered the way i was taught good one though

K-Dog
May 11th, 2005, 01:03 AM

Wait until you have to figure out trig identities. That's tough. Trig isn't all that bad if you can just memorize things and forget about if they make sense or not, just do it and accept it!!

K-Dog
May 11th, 2005, 01:06 AM
what happened was, i took advanced math (math A), and i am in 8th grade. today and tomorrow we are having the math 8 assessment tests and we need to know how to do this but we aren't learning it in math a until the end of may.

Thank you all so much! I think i get it now!!! :kiss:

Remeber SOH-CAH-TOA. Sin=opposite side over hypotenuse Cos=adajcent side over hypotenuse Tangent=opposite side over adajcent side over

That should simplfy things for you!!