PDA

View Full Version : Alarming News About Ugly Kids

roarke
May 10th, 2005, 12:04 AM
It's hard to think parents could treat an ugly child like this, but they do. Researchers from the University of Alberta in Canada have shown that parents are more likely to give better care and pay closer attention to good-looking children compared to unattractive ones.

The study: Led by Dr. Andrew Harrell, executive director of the Population Research Lab at the University of Alberta, the researchers observed parents for 10 minutes with their children ages 2-1/2 to 5 in 14 different grocery stores. In total, there were 426 observations. They noted whether or not the child was buckled into the grocery cart and if he or she wandered more than 10 feet away from the parent. The researchers also independently graded each child on a scale of one to 10 on attractiveness.

The results: Findings showed that just 1.2 percent of the least attractive children were buckled in to grocery cart seats, compared with 13.3 percent of the most attractive youngsters. When moms were with the kids, 4 percent of the ugly ones were buckled in, but when dads took the kids shopping, none of the homely children was strapped into the cart.

The observers also noticed the less attractive children were allowed to wander further away and more often from their parents. Oddly, the good-looking boys were kept closer to their parents than were pretty girls. Why? The researchers think the girls may be thought of as more competent and more independent than boys of the same age.

Why are parents ignoring their unattractive children? In what is sure to be a controversial idea, Harrell blames it on a parent's instinctive Darwinian response. He insists we are more likely to unconsciously lavish attention on attractive children simply because they're our best genetic material. Of course, most parents would deny ever doing such a thing. "Attractiveness as a predictor of behavior, especially parenting behavior, has been around a long time," said Harrell in a news release announcing the findings. "Most parents will react to these results with shock and dismay. They'll say, 'I love all my kids, and I don't discriminate on the basis of attractiveness.' The whole point of our research is that people do."

Not everyone is embracing these study results as definitive. First, there is no other research to back up these controversial findings. Dr. Nick Barlow of the British Psychological Society told the BBC News that it's all in the eye of the beholder. "If you look at children with Down's syndrome or a cleft lip, parents are often over-protective, so there's no sign of rejection there," he explained to the BBC. "This is a dangerous report because people talk about designer babies. If we're not careful, scientists will be looking out genes for high cheekbones or blue eyes."

Da Bizzness
May 10th, 2005, 12:07 AM
is "alarming news..." supposed to be sarcastic? lol

Cariaoke
May 10th, 2005, 12:09 AM
I'm not that shocked, really.

JenFan75
May 10th, 2005, 12:50 AM
Marsha, Marsha, MARSHA! ;_;

Shuji Shuriken
May 10th, 2005, 01:35 AM
Gosh...no wonder I was treated like sod :sad: :sad:

Richie77
May 10th, 2005, 01:37 AM
Gosh...no wonder I was treated like sod :sad: :sad:
But you're not ugly! :kiss:

The whole report is a shame...I can't imagine any parent rejecting a kid because of how he/she looks. :sad:

Knizzle
May 10th, 2005, 01:39 AM
Who is rating children less attractive anyway??

AjdeNate!
May 10th, 2005, 01:46 AM
Damn, that explains everything! The source of all my insecurities have just been discovered.

Cariaoke
May 10th, 2005, 01:53 AM
^ Unless you're smart and use that to make money a la Bill Gates. Geeks always get their revenge.

AjdeNate!
May 10th, 2005, 01:54 AM
If you're ugly... Life sucks.
:yeah: Couldn't have said it better myself. And so true. Trust me, I know.

Scotso
May 10th, 2005, 05:40 AM
I guess that's why I was so spoiled.

RVD
May 10th, 2005, 06:06 AM
Who is rating children less attractive anyway??My god, this was my first question as well. :eek:
I can't take this report seriously. When I was younger, I helped my mother care for foster kids, and they were some of the cutest kids you've ever seen. Heck, we didn't want to give them up!
So waht are they calling 'ugly' as opposed to 'beautiful'? :shrug:

Wigglytuff
May 10th, 2005, 06:51 AM
i agree about symentry, and that this study is suspect. as well as with that true beauty really is in the eye of the beholder. i also think its more than a little mean to rate any child on a scale of ugliness :mad:

i dont know but for me, there is something "more" about beauty, that symetry (what about a lover who is more sexy because they have only one dimple?), and math equations, cant really get to the heart of.

fOxYLiCiOuS
May 10th, 2005, 07:22 AM
Interesting Article.

ivanovic
May 10th, 2005, 12:46 PM
so that is why my twin is always rejected.......

Sam L
May 10th, 2005, 12:49 PM
Marsha, Marsha, MARSHA! ;_;
That's exactly what I thought.

~ The Leopard ~
May 10th, 2005, 01:35 PM
Didn't we already know this? The outcome of this study was rather predictable.

SelesFan70
May 10th, 2005, 02:01 PM
Hard to believe that some parent would consider their child "ugly". :( This study is dubious at best.

SpikeyAidanm
May 10th, 2005, 02:10 PM
That's common knowledge lol, good looking people are always favoured in life, eg job interviews & ar emore unlikely to go to jail that than their ugly equivalent who did the same crime etc... that's how society works.

Martian Willow
May 10th, 2005, 02:10 PM
It's a class thing.

Martian Willow
May 10th, 2005, 02:28 PM
Perhaps I should clarify. :)

It has nothing to do with good looking or ugly kids. It's simply that working class parents have different attitudes to child-rearing than middle class ones. They would not consider themselves lax for leaving their kid out of the cart.

And working class people are generally less attractive than the middle classes, hence the statistical difference.

kabuki
May 10th, 2005, 02:33 PM
Personally, in children, cuteness is generally a grooming thing. Clearly, some children are more attractive on a basic level, but for me, a clean, properly-dressed, combed/brushed child is the important factor. Could it be that some of the observers felt the same way also, maybe subconciously? Perhaps parents who are attentive to grooming matters are more generally attentive. :shrug:

Wigglytuff
May 10th, 2005, 03:47 PM
Perhaps I should clarify. :)

It has nothing to do with good looking or ugly kids. It's simply that working class parents have different attitudes to child-rearing than middle class ones. They would not consider themselves lax for leaving their kid out of the cart.

And working class people are generally less attractive than the middle classes, hence the statistical difference.
umm sure if you go by stereotypes, but in the real world it varies.

Cam'ron Giles
May 10th, 2005, 05:42 PM
Is that why at 2 I was given a ball and told to play in traffic? :sad:

Dawn Marie
May 10th, 2005, 07:25 PM
I can see how parents could subconsciously treat a more attractive child better. but I have questions regarding this study. I see many loopholes.

Cam'ron Giles
May 10th, 2005, 07:33 PM
I see many loopholes.

Why the hell are you looking at my "loopholes" :o

Wigglytuff
May 10th, 2005, 09:27 PM
Why the hell are you looking at my "loopholes" :o
you need jesus :p

roarke
May 10th, 2005, 10:33 PM
We judge people, kids included, and make snap decisions all the time. It is not limited to class either. For a lot of us we are so blinded by other people's wealth that we see that before we see the kids and so we lie to ourselves that their kids are the prettiest llittle people ever simple because we value the parent's money, status and power more. You all do it here on this board.... constantly, remark on other's people's looks. Do you think this attitude developed in adulthood?.. nope, think again. It starts early..from birth I would say... The more attractive your kids are the more comments you the parents get from family, friends and strangers, and it makes you feel good that your offspring is thought of as cute, handsome or beautiful. It validates you somehow and the better that child is treated!

Rtael
May 11th, 2005, 03:17 AM
Is that why at 2 I was given a ball and told to play in traffic? :sad:

Yes.

Crazy Canuck
May 11th, 2005, 04:41 AM
Isn't that often the case? ;)

Crazy Canuck
May 11th, 2005, 04:44 AM
Isn't that usually the case? ;)

~ The Leopard ~
May 11th, 2005, 06:56 AM
^But where would we be without psychologists to conduct experiments to confirm what everyone suspected anyway? ;)

moby
May 11th, 2005, 01:20 PM
Next up...

Ugly people are less likely to get hit on. :shrug: