PDA

View Full Version : Witnesses: Dog cared for abandoned baby

Infiniti2001
May 9th, 2005, 04:06 PM
Monday, May 9, 2005 Posted: 11:21 AM EDT (1521 GMT)

http://i.a.cnn.net/cnn/2005/WORLD/africa/05/09/dog.baby.ap/story.baby.safe.ap.jpg

Doctors at Nairobi's Kenyatta National Hospital say the infant was not harmed during the ordeal.

NAIROBI, Kenya (AP) -- A nursing dog foraging for food retrieved an abandoned baby girl in a forest in Kenya and carried the infant to its litter of puppies, witnesses said Monday.

The stray dog carried the infant across a busy road and a barbed wire fence in a poor neighborhood near the Ngong Forests in the capital, Nairobi, Stephen Thoya told the independent Daily Nation newspaper.

The dog apparently found the baby Friday in the plastic bag in which the infant had been abandoned, said Aggrey Mwalimu, owner of the compound where the animal is now living. It was unclear how the baby survived in the bag without suffocating.

Doctors said the baby had been abandoned about two days before the dog discovered her. Medical workers later found maggots in the infant's umbilical cord, a product of days of neglect, Hannah Gakuo, the spokeswoman of the Kenyatta National Hospital, where the girl was taken for treatment, said Monday. No one has yet claimed the baby, she said.

But the 3.3 kilogram (7.28 pounds) infant "is doing well, responding to treatment, she is stable ... she is on antibiotics," Gakuo told The Associated Press. Workers at the hospital are calling the child Angel, she said.

Unwanted infants are often abandoned in Kenya -- sometimes they are even dumped into pit latrines. Poverty and mothers' failed relationships with fathers are often blamed for the problem, and Kenya's weak law enforcement and social security systems means that most people who abandon babies are never caught.

"Abandoned babies are normally taken to the Kenyatta National Hospital because it is a public hospital," Gakuo said. "People are now donating diapers and baby clothes for this one."

Not all abandoned infants are as lucky -- another stray dog ate the cheek of an abandoned infant some three years ago.

:sad: I want that baby :sad:

azza
May 9th, 2005, 04:11 PM
So what happened with the dog is it okay?

kabuki
May 9th, 2005, 04:14 PM
:sad: I want that baby :sad:

Me too. :sad:

Cam'ron Giles
May 9th, 2005, 04:31 PM
Can you imagine if the baby was found in China or Vietnam? Bleeding heart white Americans would be bum rushing airports to adopt.

Cam'ron Giles
May 9th, 2005, 04:32 PM
BTW, god bless this poor child.

Wigglytuff
May 9th, 2005, 04:49 PM
too true cam, too true

alexusjonesfan
May 9th, 2005, 05:03 PM
Can you imagine if the baby was found in China or Vietnam? Bleeding heart white Americans would be bum rushing airports to adopt.

yes because every non-black abandoned child is adopted and taken care of.

get over yourself

Cariaoke
May 9th, 2005, 05:07 PM
Oh, c'mon, Cam. Don't stop the dog from getting a good home.

*dead* :tape:

LMAO!

Viggen, in the U.S. black children stay in state/foster care longer than any other race. Older children have the hardest placement but specifically, white babies have the easiest placement. Now, it doesn't take rocket science to figure out why.

Infiniti2001
May 9th, 2005, 05:12 PM
Oh, c'mon, Cam. Don't stop the dog from getting a good home.

*dead* :tape:

LMAO!

Viggen, in the U.S. black children stay in state/foster care longer than any other race. Older children have the hardest placement but specifically, white babies have the easiest placement. Now, it doesn't take rocket science to figure out why.

Yes that's true. I once wrote a paper on the the Foster Care system and it broke my heart. There are so many black children (newborn babies included) in the system, but you have scores of white Americans going over to China etc to adopt kids.
It's just a fact that the responses are different when black kids are involved.

alexusjonesfan
May 9th, 2005, 05:17 PM
black and white's fine to compare in the US. Yes, there's lots of injustice there. But to bring in African/Chinese/Viet children into the analogy is dumb. I'm sure many more children die of abandonment in China than the whole African continent just because of the difference in population. White Americans may want white babies but that's a drop in the bucket in the global picture. Abandoned kids have it hard no matter where they live and it's ridiculous to minimize the suffering of those in non-African countries

Infiniti2001
May 9th, 2005, 05:21 PM
viggen I think you're over reacting here. Of course there are lots of abandoned children all over the world, but for some reason white Americans tend to respond to Asian kids more when causian kids are not available-- and I'm sure this is what Cam was pointing out, because unfortunately this is the reality here.

Wigglytuff
May 9th, 2005, 05:29 PM
:bs: @ viggen.

in America today, there hundreds of thousand of families who are so put off by the wait for a "healthy white child" that they are indeed lining up to adopt children from china and other parts of the world while healthy black children, particularly boys, are very difficult to place. additionally, some agencies are so desperate to place black children into suitable homes that they have started placing them in Canada. there are at least 2 agencies in America that focus exclusively on placing black children into Canadian homes.

that being said, people have a right to adopt whatever child they want, but they should never kid themselves and say race has nothing to do with it.

alexusjonesfan
May 9th, 2005, 05:29 PM
viggen I think you're over reacting here. Of course there are lots of abandoned children all over the world, but for some reason white Americans tend to respond to Asian kids more when causian kids are not available-- and I'm sure this is what Cam was pointing out, because unfortunately this is the reality here.

meh, I saw it as him implying that non black kids have it easy. Whatever...I'm done ranting either way :p

the sad thing is how the notoriety of the story comes from the dog, not the kid :o

VeeReeDavJCap81
May 9th, 2005, 09:22 PM
yes because every non-black abandoned child is adopted and taken care of.

get over yourself

You're disgusting, and don't know what you're talking about. :fiery:

Cam'ron Giles
May 9th, 2005, 09:25 PM
I can only talk about America because that is where I live...Funny how these Canadians love telling black Americans how it is here for them...No Viggen, get the hell over yourself...You dont see me telling you how shit is in Canada do you?

JenFan75
May 9th, 2005, 10:58 PM
I think they should keep the dog and the baby together :)

alexusjonesfan
May 10th, 2005, 04:34 AM
yay I'm learning so much about adoption trends in the US :hearts:

too bad that has nothing to do with my point which I'll restate one final time: how dare you make light of the plight of abandoned kids in China and Vietnam, trying to start a pissing contest of who's grievances are worse :rolleyes:

ok, this time I'm done for good :p

Wigglytuff
May 10th, 2005, 04:57 AM
yay I'm learning so much about adoption trends in the US :hearts:

too bad that has nothing to do with my point which I'll restate one final time: how dare you make light of the plight of abandoned kids in China and Vietnam, trying to start a pissing contest of who's grievances are worse :rolleyes:

ok, this time I'm done for good :p

i think you might not have read what cam wrote.

meh, I saw it as him implying that non black kids have it easy.
sure its fun to assume things, but i think reading what people actually say is always more fun.

i would like to add that cam, and everyone else in this thread, is right, there has been a massive rush by white america to adopt asian girls from overseas . i know you dont like it, but its true.