PDA

View Full Version : Sunday report: qualifying

Grafiati
May 8th, 2005, 07:45 PM
I had to miss the first three hours because of a prior commitment, but once again the rain didn't come until very late!

When I arrived, Jill Craybas was hitting with her coach, Safina and Pratt were practicing together, and I headed for Azarenka/Laine. It was soon a surprising 4-1 lead for Laine, as Azarenka lost some long games, but she later hit out for a turnaround victory. Mrs. Safina and Jarkko Nieminen were among those in the crowd.

After some ATP action (I won't comment on the men's side in this forum), Tanasugarn and Cho practiced on an outside court and Kremer also went out for a hit. Dokic then hit with Pratt (who seemed to be on court all day) and Benesova was with some lefty I didn't get close enough to recognize. Dokic was hitting the ball with great depth and pace- a level above the girls I have seen in the qualifying. I hope she is on her way back to the top 20- she can certainly do it.

The only other women's match I can really comment on is Bondarenko/Peer. I saw the whole match and though Bondarenko played better than yesterday, she's not a good athlete and her net play is atrocious. Peer went off court after the first set and settled in after that. She's very intense and focused, unlike Bondarenko who shakes her head or looks at her sister in the stands or flips out after a mistake.

As I left, Safina was hitting shots fed to her by her mom and Jamea Jackson was starting to practice- she was also late to practice yesterday.

Sorry there aren't any amazing stories to tell- I was watching quite a bit of the men's event.

Wiggly
May 8th, 2005, 08:01 PM
Thanks a lot :)

HectorMagnus
May 8th, 2005, 08:11 PM
I had to miss the first three hours because of a prior commitment, but once again the rain didn't come until very late!

When I arrived, Jill Craybas was hitting with her coach, Safina and Pratt were practicing together, and I headed for Azarenka/Laine. It was soon a surprising 4-1 lead for Laine, as Azarenka lost some long games, but she later hit out for a turnaround victory. Mrs. Safina and Jarkko Nieminen were among those in the crowd.

After some ATP action (I won't comment on the men's side in this forum), Tanasugarn and Cho practiced on an outside court and Kremer also went out for a hit. Dokic then hit with Pratt (who seemed to be on court all day) and Benesova was with some lefty I didn't get close enough to recognize. Dokic was hitting the ball with great depth and pace- a level above the girls I have seen in the qualifying. I hope she is on her way back to the top 20- she can certainly do it.

The only other women's match I can really comment on is Bondarenko/Peer. I saw the whole match and though Bondarenko played better than yesterday, she's not a good athlete and her net play is atrocious. Peer went off court after the first set and settled in after that. She's very intense and focused, unlike Bondarenko who shakes her head or looks at her sister in the stands or flips out after a mistake.

As I left, Safina was hitting shots fed to her by her mom and Jamea Jackson was starting to practice- she was also late to practice yesterday.

Sorry there aren't any amazing stories to tell- I was watching quite a bit of the men's event.

well, I was there from the beginning but went home cause of awful weather and terrible cold :scared:

I watched Tu - Stanciute match; Meilen was more certain player on court and didn't make so many mistakes as her unexperienced opponent. Meilen broke at 2:1* and then easily grabbed *4:2 lead. Stanciute had great opportunity to break her back in next game but she lost promising lead and practically destroyed her bp chances with ue's. Meilen was happy that she kept her serve and then broke for first set. Both players played from baseline, Tu played solid match sometimes with pressure game and Stanciute ( even if she tried her best and showed some really nice forehand winners :yeah: ) wasn't able to make a comeback. Second set was just a copy of first one and the same scoreline made an end to Stanciute's abidance in tournament.

I watched a bit of Blahotova - Vankova but it seemed to me so one sided (except second and third game in first set) so I left.

I saw some sequences of men's matches but it didn't interest me as much :shrug:

I made some photo of Anne Kremer (she trained very hard and looked great to me), Jelena Kostanic, Dinara Safina, Tammy Tanasugarn and some others.

I hope the weather will be better tomorrow and we'll see some really great match-ups :wavey:

Wiggly
May 8th, 2005, 08:56 PM
Thanks you ;) Weather is not good :confused: :o

I hopes all will be fine tomorrow :)

martinafan
May 9th, 2005, 12:10 AM
thanks for the report!

glad to hear that jelena was hitting the ball well! :D

HectorMagnus
May 9th, 2005, 04:56 AM
Thanks you ;) Weather is not good :confused: :o

I hopes all will be fine tomorrow :)

weather is terrible, if I was a player, I would play only in a fur coat.... :o

shirgan
May 9th, 2005, 05:49 AM
Thank you for the reports :)

Meteor Shower
May 9th, 2005, 09:39 AM
Thanks to both of you, great reports :D. Grafiati Can you tell me how was Shahar net-play? how often did she came into the net and was she good there?

CooCooCachoo
May 9th, 2005, 10:49 AM
weather is terrible, if I was a player, I would play only in a fur coat.... :o

Fur? :armed:

CooCooCachoo
May 9th, 2005, 10:49 AM
Anyways, thanks for the reports :D :)

CooCooCachoo
May 9th, 2005, 10:58 AM
Grafiati, could you please also post the reports on the men's matches? :)