PDA

View Full Version : For Americans and Non-American, which is worst about America?

VSFan1 aka Joshua L.
May 8th, 2005, 03:06 PM
Generally speaking, Americans think they are the best in the world and they don't have problems.

Non-Americans think the Americans (at least the Government) are abusive, arrogant, etc.

Which do you agree with?

kiwifan
May 8th, 2005, 03:49 PM
wow, such broad generalities. As everyone knows, I damn proud to be American and I don't know a single American who thinks we don't have any problems in this country. :retard:

Cariaoke
May 8th, 2005, 06:03 PM
I see it both ways but these are all broad generalizations.

Yes, the lifestyle, to an extent, is great. Through traveling, I've grown to appreciate the convenience of certain things I loathe like Walmart.

I disagree with nearly every policy the current administration has and THAT is what I hate about America. In addition to the social problems that plague every society like poverty, racism, sexism, homophobia, etc.

The thing is, you have ignorant people across the board, no matter what country they live in or claim as their homeland. Some people in America think America's shit doesn't stink and as a "world power", we can pretty much do whatever the fuck we want and everyone else better :bowdown: while some non-Americans who hate the American gov't and its policies, in turn, hate all Americans, think we all drive H2's, that we all have mansions and have no care in the world.

It all boils down to nationalism vs. stereotypes. :cool:

Scotso
May 8th, 2005, 06:18 PM
"American's only care about issues when it affects their them, like oil or trade."

Lord Nelson
May 8th, 2005, 06:50 PM
True. I still find it funny how people were saying that Blair could lose because of Iraq. Well guess what, he is still around. I love how Gallaway who won a local election in a heavily musim populated area as a lib dem after being booted from labor due to charges of corruption was saying that Iraq will come and haunt Blair. He also recieved death threats from muslim fundementalists because he was not muslim even though he was on their side.

Wiggly
May 8th, 2005, 07:05 PM
Depends if you think Canada is in America :rolleyes:

I hate when people think USA are America :fiery: They're others country who are better, smarter and don't kill everybody for money :tape:

KoOlMaNsEaN
May 8th, 2005, 07:27 PM
American's only care about issues when it affects their them, like oil or trade. for example world war II the americans didn't bother to enter the war when people were dying left and right until japan attacked them at pearl harbor.

Jakeev
May 8th, 2005, 07:58 PM
Look I'm American and I could probably come up with 100 issues I have with living in this country.

But, there is probably no other place on the planet (ok besides Fiji) that I would want to live in except for good ol USA.

It's funny how the world wants to complain about the USA but yet have not qualms asking us for everything......that is why I chose the fourth answer.

Kart
May 8th, 2005, 08:06 PM
All of options have an element of truth to them but the same could be said about a lot of places.

Generally I think America and Americans are okay but I wouldn't want to live there.

Darop.
May 8th, 2005, 08:10 PM
I can't pick all the options? :sad:

pcrtennis
May 8th, 2005, 08:11 PM
American's only care about issues when it affects their them, like oil or trade. for example world war II the americans didn't bother to enter the war when people were dying left and right until japan attacked them at pearl harbor.

Of course our interests come first.....everyone is out for their own interests....that's what matters most to the American people just as Canada is first and foremost out for their interests....America bashing is just thinly dishuised envy and jealousy.... :rolleyes:

pcrtennis
May 8th, 2005, 08:11 PM
Look I'm American and I could probably come up with 100 issues I have with living in this country.

But, there is probably no other place on the planet (ok besides Fiji) that I would want to live in except for good ol USA.

It's funny how the world wants to complain about the USA but yet have not qualms asking us for everything......that is why I chose the fourth answer.

Agreed

yukon145
May 8th, 2005, 08:13 PM

your example about WWII is the worse example ever. a hell of alot more people would be dead if the US didnt help out when we did. what was canada doing during the war?? :rolleyes::rolleyes: i agree with Jakeev's last line. everyone loves to hate the United States, we're so evil and only care about our selves. but when those same people who talk shit about us need something, who do they always ask for help? we also get critized for getting involved in things we have nothing to do with. and then when we do help out with those type of things we aren't doing enough. *cough* Tsunami *cough* :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Darop.
May 8th, 2005, 08:25 PM
your example about WWII is the worse example ever. a hell of alot more people would be dead if the US didnt help out when we did. what was canada doing during the war?? :rolleyes::rolleyes: i agree with Jakeev's last line. everyone loves to hate the United States, we're so evil and only care about our selves. but when those same people who talk shit about us need something, who do they always ask for help? we also get critized for getting involved in things we have nothing to do with. and then when we do help out with those type of things we aren't doing enough. *cough* Tsunami *cough* :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Canada didn't have the means to be able to do anything, I don't think.

And I can't stand when people say "we" reffering to the State, it's not like you too personally went off to war, or took the money personally from your pocket to give to other states.

Darop.
May 8th, 2005, 08:28 PM
Of course our interests come first.....everyone is out for their own interests....that's what matters most to the American people just as Canada is first and foremost out for their interests....America bashing is just thinly dishuised envy and jealousy.... :rolleyes:

Ummm, no.

yukon145
May 8th, 2005, 10:04 PM
Canada didn't have the means to be able to do anything, I don't think.

And I can't stand when people say "we" reffering to the State, it's not like you too personally went off to war, or took the money personally from your pocket to give to other states.

so just because we have the ablity to, means we have to? again people love to bash the US, but always want us to help out because we are able to. and i will use we when ever i want too, sorry for being patriotic :rolleyes:

Sam L
May 8th, 2005, 10:16 PM
I voted this "American's only care about issues when it affects their them, like oil or trade." But the biggest problem I have with this is that a lot of it driven by corporations. Corporations who in turn sponsor and support the politicians of your choice. So you can't help but feel that America is run by Corporate America especially with the Bush Administration now. That's the biggest problem I have.

Rocketta
May 8th, 2005, 11:10 PM
All of options have an element of truth to them but the same could be said about a lot of places.

Generally I think America and Americans are okay but I wouldn't want to live there.

not even if you could live with me and drink ice tea? :tears: :tears:

Hulet
May 8th, 2005, 11:14 PM
This thread reminds me that scene from the Monty python's Life of Brian where the rebels debate what the Romans have ever done for them.

RVD
May 9th, 2005, 12:26 AM
This is actually a very good question. And it's taking great effort on my part to not write a 3 page answer. So my short response would be that historically, all great nations suffer the same fate. They become too big to manage and ultimately fall prey to a misguided and power-hungry government (as we see today). Unfortunately, this greed ultimately turns into a desire for world domination. America is no different.

I just find it strange that mankind even documents history.
I mean, what the hell for?
It's never accurate, and we never learn from past mistakes. :shrug:

Lastly, it kills me how people love something that doesn't posses the ability to love you back (not singling you out kiwifan). ;) It's just that I've heard this from so many people over the last few months. Yet their reasoning is so skewed and quite frankly, scary. :scared:
Incidentally, when discussing America, people need to consider what this country was built upon. And there, you'll have your answer as to why we view other nations the way we do. :wavey:

Oops... I nearly forgot.
In answer to the question. :lol:
The worst thing is the 'Hypocrasy'.

Justeenium
May 9th, 2005, 12:41 AM
There is very very little poverty in Britain becuase of social-democratism from New Labour and they have also done a hell of a lot to stamp out racism, sexism and homophobia. We often forget how much they have actually done for us with all the nonsense that floats around about Tony Blair.

poverty in the US is a little different than other parts of the world.

Justeenium
May 9th, 2005, 12:46 AM

what was wrong with what he said? Look a world war was going on and FDR should have known our entrance was inevitable and joined the allies earlier, instead he took the sides of the mothers who didn't want their sons shipped off :rolleyes: In my opinion it was a huge blunder not to join the war earlier, the day London was getting bombed was the day we should have entered the war.

selking
May 9th, 2005, 02:08 AM
wow i didnt agree with any of those so i choose number 4 cause 4 is my second favorite number

~ The Leopard ~
May 9th, 2005, 05:19 AM
Hmmm, I think that the widespread puritanism and Christian fundamentalism are the worst things about the USA. The poll doesn't actually seem to have much to do with the topic of the thread. It just gives us two nice statements and two nasty statements about US foreign policy to agree with, not a list of potentially "worst" things about the country. :scratch:

As for what I like about America, I'd say the graciousness and diversity. :)

Halardfan
May 9th, 2005, 08:59 AM
I think America has a similar amount of qualities/faults to most of the countries in the world, its just that with its great power, these things have a much larger effect on the rest of the world.

The worst thing right now is GW Bush and his far-right religious wing base, they are quite appalling.

But half of America feels that way too, and they don't deserve to be lumped in with that lot! America seems such a divided country these days...

VSFan1 aka Joshua L.
May 9th, 2005, 02:05 PM
I think America has a similar amount of qualities/faults to most of the countries in the world, its just that with its great power, these things have a much larger effect on the rest of the world.

The worst thing right now is GW Bush and his far-right religious wing base, they are quite appalling.

But half of America feels that way too, and they don't deserve to be lumped in with that lot! America seems such a divided country these days...
I would say it's become more extreme as well....opinions from the far left and far right are all we ever seem to hear anymore and there is never any middle ground. NEVER.

SelesFan70
May 9th, 2005, 04:35 PM
No other country contributes more to the world in terms of money, culture, and assistance as the United States of America. We have our share of faults, but we are good-natured, patient, trusting, giving, hard-working people that sometimes forget how lucky we are to live here. I, personally, can think of nowhere else I'd like to live except here. :bounce:

saki
May 9th, 2005, 04:50 PM
My answer depends on what precisely you mean by "what is worst about America?"

The main reason that I wouldn't want to live in the U.S. can be broadly summed up by: lifestyle. I don't agree with excessive car use, don't own a car myself and prefer wherever possible to use public transport, my bike or my feet. Although I know that there are some cities in the U.S. that I could live in without a car, there are very few and, even then, I'd face problems if I wanted to travel to other cities. Also in the "lifestyle" category come things that I love about Britain like Radio 4, nice cheese (stilton, camembert, blue brie, etc) that is easily and cheaply available, the BBC, the newspapers, historical and beautiful buildings and cities, much variety of scenery within a short space of time, traditional cider, and probably a million other things that I've temporarily forgotten. The U.S. does have some lifestyle advantages - the big ones being truly excellent customer service and much cheaper clothing/fast food - but there is no question that I'm much happier to live in Britain (or, indeed, pretty much any European country) than I would be if I lived in the U.S.

The main issue that I have with the U.S. as someone who doesn't live there is the attitude towards climate change and the environment. Europe isn't doing all that it could be doing either, but it does recognise that it is an important issue and that our world will face very serious problems if we don't all work hard to tackle it. Whereas on the Today Programme which is BBC Radio 4's very important morning news programme, there was a U.S. government spokesman who claimed that climate change was a European conspiracy to curb American growth. WTF?! Other than that, the U.S. doesn't greatly matter to me or to my life..

Kart
May 9th, 2005, 06:30 PM
not even if you could live with me and drink ice tea? :tears: :tears:

:hearts:

There are always exceptions :angel:.

Rocketta
May 9th, 2005, 06:56 PM
:hearts:

There are always exceptions :angel:.

:lick:

Joana
May 9th, 2005, 08:10 PM
They win too many medals at Olympics. :mad:

mboyle
May 9th, 2005, 11:48 PM
There is very very little poverty in Britain becuase of social-democratism from New Labour and they have also done a hell of a lot to stamp out racism, sexism and homophobia. We often forget how much they have actually done for us with all the nonsense that floats around about Tony Blair.

Yeah you also have about a twentieth of the wealth because of those same policies. Also, you had less poverty to begin with, and, because Britain is a fraction of America's size, your federal government can actually do something effectively to solve problems like that. How do you stamp out racism, sexism and homophobia?:confused: You can't control human thought.

mboyle
May 9th, 2005, 11:53 PM
what was wrong with what he said? Look a world war was going on and FDR should have known our entrance was inevitable and joined the allies earlier, instead he took the sides of the mothers who didn't want their sons shipped off :rolleyes: In my opinion it was a huge blunder not to join the war earlier, the day London was getting bombed was the day we should have entered the war.

Ever heard of the Monroe doctrine? One of the primary reasons the US fought for independence was resentment of having to fight European wars. The Monroe doctrine (instituted in the second decade of the 19th century,) prevented the US from ever taking sides in European wars, regardless of situation. In 1940, the US still did not think of itself as an important world power (although we were arguably the most powerful nation in the world after WWI, no one saw it,) and therefore did not feel responsible for protecting Europe. As a major pro-isolationist block still existed (complete with intense funding and powerful attorneys,) Roosevelt really did not have the support of the people needed to go to war.

mboyle
May 9th, 2005, 11:58 PM

see above argument. Also, an interesting factoid, in 1939, the US army was only the 20th largest in the world. The Netherlands and Poland had bigger armies. Your argument is viewed through a modern, retrospective lens, which really isn't fair. I mean, WWII happened 65 years ago, and basically re-shaped the world order.

mboyle
May 10th, 2005, 12:02 AM
Depends if you think Canada is in America :rolleyes:

I hate when people think USA are America :fiery: They're others country who are better, smarter and don't kill everybody for money :tape:

1. You are right. I try (and fail miserably) not to call the US America, because that isn't fair and is inaccurate.

2. Better is subjective. I would rather live in the US than in Mexico.

3. How can an inanimate object be smart? That's silly.

4. The US has never initiated a war for the sole purpose of gaining money. We are fighting in Iraq to try to establish the first stable democracy in the Arab world. If we succeed, the ensuing wealth will placate the terrorists and the desperation experienced in the region. Please don't view things as so simply wrong (I know, again I do that too, but I shouldn't.)

yukon145
May 10th, 2005, 03:13 AM
1. You are right. I try (and fail miserably) not to call the US America, because that isn't fair and is inaccurate.

2. Better is subjective. I would rather live in the US than in Mexico.

3. How can an inanimate object be smart? That's silly.

4. The US has never initiated a war for the sole purpose of gaining money. We are fighting in Iraq to try to establish the first stable democracy in the Arab world. If we succeed, the ensuing wealth will placate the terrorists and the desperation experienced in the region. Please don't view things as so simply wrong (I know, again I do that too, but I shouldn't.)

:worship: