Apr 5th, 2002, 03:39 AM
There are six 'big' clay tournaments

Amelia Island - Tier II
Charleston - Tier I
Hamburg - Tier II
Berlin - Tier I
Rome - Tier I
Roland Garros - GS

Last year, our current top ten swept these.

Mauresmo.. Amelia Island
Capriati.. Charleston
Williams.. Hamburg
Mauresmo.. Berlin
Dokic..... Rome
Capriati.. Roland Garros

My question, will the current top ten do it again? Sweep the 'Big Six' on clay? Or will Meghann Shaughnessy, Silvia Farina-Elia, Francesca Schiavone, Iroda Tulyaganova etc actually break through and win one? (or more.)

LucasArg
Apr 5th, 2002, 04:27 AM
Venus starts clay season next week, she will play 3 clay tournaments before RG, I think she will do very well this year:wavey:

Amelie, Jennifer and Jelena will do it very well too.

Serena also can take a title, I hope she or Venus takes RG this year:bounce:

There is a lot of non ten players, who can win tier III , IV or V events, Paola Suarez, Rita Grande , Iroda Tulyaganova, Angeles Montolio, but in the bigger events Top Ten players will win for sure.

Jordan.
Apr 5th, 2002, 05:03 AM
Go Rita! :)

Go Martina! :)

2ace2
Apr 5th, 2002, 08:28 AM
I think the top 10 will rule again this year
:)

King Aaron
Apr 5th, 2002, 08:47 AM
I think the way Jelena is playing at Sarasota she'll have a great clay season!!

thefreedesigner
Apr 5th, 2002, 08:47 AM
Don't know. :p

Oizo
Apr 5th, 2002, 11:42 AM
Jenny and Jelena will dominate the clay season!!! :p :D :cool: :wavey:

conchita
Apr 5th, 2002, 12:07 PM
Jelena is going to do heaps well this year as she has already shown already in the Sarasota Open by beating the ultime clay courter-Conchita Martinez. ;) :bounce:

However, i don't think that capriati, williams, or mauresmo will do well this year coz in my opinion they were all flukes. Please don't be offended anyone :D

Volcana
Apr 5th, 2002, 12:15 PM
conchita - You could make an arguement that Venus winning Hamburg was a fluke. The rest of her clay season was wretched last year. However, Amelie won Amelia Island AND Berlin. Jenn won Charleston AND Roland Garros. How can you possibly consider those 'flukes'? Amelie accumulated 1200 points on clay last year. With only 2 points at RG.

Respectfully, I have to disagree with you. You are entitled to your opinion, of course.

Williams Rulez
Apr 5th, 2002, 12:27 PM
Cause conchita considers anyone who doesn't beat Conchita on clay a fluke... :rolleyes:

Any, I think the top 10 will dominate again... I mean all the major tournaments except Indian Wells have been won by a top 10 players so far... :)

griffin
Apr 5th, 2002, 03:01 PM
I think the big guns will dominate but not sweep - Venus, Amelie and Jelena are unpredictable (at least on clay) and I think some of the up-and-comers are spoiling for an upset.

Not that I'll be upset if Amelie and Venus run the table ;)