PDA

View Full Version : Its Official

azza
May 8th, 2005, 01:38 PM
Peter Luczak and Sophie Ferguson got the FO WC'S

Luczak and Ferguson score French Open wildcards

May 6, 2005

Melbourne, May 6 - Australia’s Peter Luczak and Sophie Ferguson have been announced as the recipients of wildcards into the French Open main draw, under a reciprocal agreement between Tennis Australia and the French Tennis Federation.

Luczak, aged 25, is currently Australia’s third highest ranked player at 131 in the world.

Since the completion of the Australian summer circuit, Luczak has played an extensive claycourt season in South America and Europe, reaching the semifinals of an ATP tournament in Brazil and defeating world No.48 Florian Mayer of Germany in Munich recently.

Luczak, currently training in Germany, said he was overjoyed to receive the main draw wildcard.

http://www.tennisaustralia.com.au/pages/image.aspx?assetId=RDM38470.5497365046
Peter Luczak: reached the semifinals of an ATP tournament in Brazil this season.

"I have been working really hard on clay in the past 12 months and have probably had two of my biggest wins on the surface this year," he said. "I feel like I have a good chance to do well at the French Open and it is a real bonus not to have to play qualifying."

He has contested qualifying at the French Open three times previously from 2002-2004, but has not been able to progress past the second round.

Peter Johnston, Head of Men’s Tennis at Tennis Australia, said that Mark Philippoussis had initially been offered the men’s wildcard.

"Mark has been working hard in the United States with his new coach Andrew Florent, however he advised us that he wouldn’t be ready in time to contest the French Open and was going to focus his energies on the grasscourt season leading up to Wimbledon," said Johnston.

http://www.tennisaustralia.com.au/pages/image.aspx?assetId=RDM38461.9017652199
Sophie Ferguson: winning debut in Fed Cup.

Joining Luczak and making her main draw debut at Roland Garros is 19-year-old Sophie Ferguson.

Ferguson is Australia’s fifth ranked player at 246 in the world and is coached by tennis legend Tony Roche. She recently made a successful Fed Cup playing debut when the Optus Australian Fed Cup Team competed in New Delhi, India in April.

At the Medibank International in Sydney this year she received a main draw wildcard and pushed then world No.27 Magdalena Maleeva to three sets.

As a wildcard at this year’s Australian Open, she reached the second round by defeating Nuria Llagostera Vives of Spain before losing to No.11 seed Nadia Petrova of Russia 4-6 6-0 6-1 on Rod Laver Arena.

Janet Young, Head of Women’s Tennis at Tennis Australia, said that Ferguson was a very promising player who enjoyed the big occasion.

"I’m very pleased that Sophie will have the chance to compete at her second Grand Slam and build on the momentum she started with her results at the Australian Open in January and her success at the recent Fed Cup Tie in India," she said.

The 2005 French Open will be held at Roland Garros, Paris from Monday 23 May – Sunday 5 June.

So in the French Open we have

Main Draw Samantha Stosur Nicole Pratt Evie Dominikovic and Sophie Ferguson
Quallies: Noone :confused::o

for the Mens

Main Draw: Lleyton Hewitt Wayne Arthurs Scott Draper Peter Luczak
Quallies Todd Reid Chris Guccione (Maybe Marc Kimmich )

gillibean
May 8th, 2005, 03:13 PM
doubles?

azza
May 8th, 2005, 03:46 PM
This is Just guessing but

Samantha Stosur Nicole Pratt Bryanne Stewart Rennea Stubbs Lisa Mcshea Evie Dominikovic

Wayne Arthurs Paul Hanley Todd Woodbridhe Todd Perry Scott Draper Peter Luczak Stephen Huss Jorden Kerr Ashley Fisher

gillibean
May 8th, 2005, 05:06 PM
do u not reckon sophie

azza
May 8th, 2005, 05:46 PM
Sophies doubles ranks is i think Below 750 so very 99.99% strongly doubt she will get in

gillibean
May 8th, 2005, 11:00 PM
no its now in the 400s

azza
May 9th, 2005, 03:53 AM
she still wont get in :p

gillibean
May 9th, 2005, 04:10 AM
how did she get into the aus open for womens doubles and mixed doubles? cos she's aussie?
are mixed doubles rules the same

SeanyQ
May 9th, 2005, 05:08 AM
how did she get into the aus open for womens doubles and mixed doubles? cos she's aussie?
are mixed doubles rules the same
Exactly the same as singles. She was given WC's into the doubles.
Mate, don't expect Soph to get str8 into a GS doubles for at least another year! As good a singles player as she is - doubles isn't happening. She'll really have to learn how to volley before we see her in any MD doubles draws, I think she's getting there. Let's be happy she's doing well in singles.

gillibean
May 9th, 2005, 05:23 AM
ok :)

ozfan44
May 9th, 2005, 07:01 AM
now will everyone believe me that luczak got the wildcard not flip

ausboy are you hiding??? lol

azza
May 9th, 2005, 01:16 PM
Imagin Luczak Vs Federer :eek: :sad: :o

ozfan44
May 10th, 2005, 08:53 AM
no luczak vs nadal or coria!!!

and sophie vs henin hardenne

broncosven
May 10th, 2005, 10:04 AM
Sophie vs Peter

(Cmon people lets think outside the box) :p :lol:

azza
May 10th, 2005, 12:11 PM
Ferguson/Federer Vs Luczak/Henin hardenn :eek: :p

gillibean
May 10th, 2005, 12:16 PM
that'd be so funny if soph had to play justine and peter had to play the old roger. would be awesome really.