PDA

View Full Version : Saturday report: Q 1

HectorMagnus
May 7th, 2005, 05:05 PM
I just came back.... :D

I tried to watch at least a bit of every match and my friend did some photos; I hope she'll give them to me asap so I'll be able to post them....

So first match I watched was Rao - K. Bondarenko....
First set was pretty easy for Katerina (her sister supported her), because Sunitha made many mistakes and the presure Sunitha made was in the end eliminated cause she always missed an easy shot. It looked to be a flawless victory for Bondarenko who had 3:0 lead in second. I left for a while to watch the end of Emma Laine match but because the fact that courts are pretty close (three courts are very near and separated only by some panels) so I was able to watch the match from the distance. Rao stopped making UE's and was more patient so she was able to put a pressure on Bondarenko who suddenly was the worse player on court. Rao won the second and I thought that third would be one way traffic for her. But the pause between sets which was longer cause Bondarenko left the court meaned that Rao lost her rhytm and (again) made many silly mistakes.... :o
After several games, when both players hold their serves but game was full of errors from both sides, I left for Krajicek- Tu match.

I had expected easy win for Misa who played with nice red Yonex clothes but everything was different. Meilen was very concentrated on her game, she hardly made an UE and her great and well balanced strokes from both sides put a pressure on her young opponent. Misa served very well in the beginning but then her serve walked away and never came back (I guess she had about 40-50% of first serve). She wasn't injured, her movement looked ok, I would say that she hadn't her best day. Misa's mum tried to support her but today, she wasn't able to do anything. Her father was also there (but he sat on the other tribune :confused: ). Meilen was much better, mixed strokes and paces and it was well deserved win for her. I saw Meilen before match and she was practising with guy who also advise to Anne Kremer; he's French I think ;)

Other match I watched was Alena Vaskova against Agnes Szavay....
It seemed to be an easy match, Agnes lead 3:0 and 4:2 against (for me :shrug: ) unknown Czech player. Vaskova who won only several points until then (most thanks to her opponent errors) started to play much better. She persuaded Szavay to run and constantly pushed Hungarian to play BH, which was the weakness for her. Vaskova showed two or three passing shots, several dropshots and completely destroyed Agnes' certainty. Vaskova won 4 games in a row and completely controled the match. :bounce:
Second set was similar to last games of first and Vaskova sailed to grab a well deserved win in a match where she was an underdog :yeah:. She was happy and smiled a lot at the end. :)

All matches were played in nearly same time so I saw longer sequences of others.

The most one sided match of the day was Laine against Pavlikova. Emma is crafty left-handed blondie whose strokes are accurate, well balanced and she plays smart tennis. Her disadvantage is maybe movement but young Czech opponent wasn't able to create a pressure and her UE's were a practical example of tennis suicide...Pavlikova was able to resist only five games of first set, than it was a complete meltdown (6:2, 6:0).

Another meltdown was Azarenka - Dekmeijere.
Dekmeijere made dozens of UE's, most of them when she prepared an attack, persuade her opponent to run like mad and then she simply shooted next stroke three metres outside.... :( I had a feeling that Azarenka was sure that she could only return strokes and her opponent would definitely miss it (she was right).
Last match I can talk a bit about was Bammer - Valkova.
It was clear that Sybille is more experienced than Czech player, she played solid match and had good serve, Valkova didn't surprise her.
Sybille has a small baby ( I thought it's her son, but it's a girl, well well.... :o) :baby:

Yeah, I nearly forgot Drake match, I saw last games and Maureen didn't fight at all, sometimes even didn't run. I don't know the progress of first set but second wasn't the best performance from Drake and she walked away easily beaten by her opponent. Maureen was very nice to some fans and let them to photo her with them after the match. :)

I can't say anything of the match between Hopkins and Blahotova (well I was a bit sure that Jenny would win so I would see her next day :angel: ).

Players I saw practicing: Dinara Safina :) (accompanied by her mum) hitting with Jelena Kostanic :), Eleni Daniilidou :), Anne Kremer :hearts: :hug:, Diaz Oliva :), Jenny Hopkins :), Lilia Osterloh :), Bondarenko family....

That's all for today! :wavey:

Piotr'ek
May 7th, 2005, 05:10 PM
Thx for the report :)
support Lucie Hradecka tommorow :)

Wiggly
May 7th, 2005, 05:11 PM
Thanks so much! Did you see Iveta :angel: :worship:

HectorMagnus
May 7th, 2005, 05:18 PM
Thanks so much! Did you see Iveta :angel: :worship:

no, sorry, I didn't see her today but I'm sure I will next days ;)

Alvarillo
May 7th, 2005, 05:21 PM
please try to see Laurita Pous and tell us ;)

HectorMagnus
May 7th, 2005, 05:29 PM
please try to see Laurita Pous and tell us ;)

yes I will, I'll try to see players I missed today :wavey:

CooCooCachoo
May 7th, 2005, 05:34 PM
Thanks HM :hug:

Great report :hug:

Xian
May 7th, 2005, 05:41 PM
lol no Sybille Bammer has a daughter named Tina ;)

HectorMagnus
May 7th, 2005, 05:45 PM
lol no Sybille Bammer has a daughter named Tina ;)

it's a girl? :o well sorry, she was all in blue so :rolleyes:

pcrtennis
May 7th, 2005, 06:11 PM
Yay Emma and Meilen!

FERLKE
May 7th, 2005, 06:57 PM
Thanks Hector Magnus!!! :worship: ;) :D

Grafiati
May 7th, 2005, 08:10 PM
I was also at the qualifying today and I will keep my comments in this thread since HectorMagnus did a good job reporting things!

I watched the whole Rao/Bondarenko match. Sunitha had many game or break points in the first set but didn't convert, so it was nice that she fought back to get into a third. She upped her aggressiveness and really tried to take advantage of being the slightly better player (I seem to recall people hyping Bondarenko a bit but she is out of shape, has no weapons, and didn't impress me), but in the end she blew an awkward shot at 5-5 in the 3rd set tiebreak and out went the match. A friend stayed with me so that I could talk to Sunitha after the match- she was kind enough to stop for a picture and chat briefly.

My opinion of Emma Laine is a bit different- she loops her lefty forehand without power and should NEVER have beaten Maleeva last year. She seems like a cheerful, upbeat player and person, though, and her opponent hit too many UEs.

I only caught the final few points of Krajicek/Tu and couldn't believe that the score was so one-sided. I expected to see Krajicek on the winning end but it was not to be.

I got to see all of Maureen Drake's match- what a ride! She was showing one ballboy (in English, the poor guy) how to toss the balls since he was spiking them and making them bounce too high. She slammed a ball way out of the court and over a different court's fence at one point, later screamed "You're the worst player EVER!!!!" to herself, and didn't even move for many shots in the last set. HectorMagnus, the "fan" who got a picture with Drake afterwards was me!!! I had the backpack with the flags of the Czech Republic, France, and Spain- no one else talked to Maureen, so the person you are referring to is most definitely me :-)

My friend and I also caught Dinara Safina practicing with Jill Craybas (it wasn't Kostanic), who actually hit her backhand and serve quite well. She even "beat" Safina in their practice games. Kremer and Tanasugarn were hitting on the court to the left while Jarkko Nieminen was hitting with some guy on the court to their right. I got a picture with Safina and she is DEFINITELY a tall girl.

Benesova was hanging around the player's lounge talking to some ATP player and then outside for the last match of the day on Court Two- she is very slight.

That's about all the news for today- the weather was nice enough to hold off on the rain until after the matches stopped.

I will try to report tomorrow if there is any tennis played.

-Jared

chopen
May 7th, 2005, 08:25 PM
thanks a lot

why Jarkko Nieminen was here?

Grafiati
May 7th, 2005, 08:39 PM
There is a men's challenger event being held at the same time. I just found out that Alex Corretja is among those involved- not sure why the website doesn't list men's qualifying matches for Sunday.

Grafiati
May 7th, 2005, 08:40 PM
Actually, now it has changed in the last few minutes and men's matches are listed!

Wiggly
May 7th, 2005, 08:46 PM
:) Thanks! Iveta is slight, it's true :unsure:

HectorMagnus
May 7th, 2005, 08:54 PM
I was also at the qualifying today and I will keep my comments in this thread since HectorMagnus did a good job reporting things!

I watched the whole Rao/Bondarenko match. Sunitha had many game or break points in the first set but didn't convert, so it was nice that she fought back to get into a third. She upped her aggressiveness and really tried to take advantage of being the slightly better player (I seem to recall people hyping Bondarenko a bit but she is out of shape, has no weapons, and didn't impress me), but in the end she blew an awkward shot at 5-5 in the 3rd set tiebreak and out went the match. A friend stayed with me so that I could talk to Sunitha after the match- she was kind enough to stop for a picture and chat briefly.

My opinion of Emma Laine is a bit different- she loops her lefty forehand without power and should NEVER have beaten Maleeva last year. She seems like a cheerful, upbeat player and person, though, and her opponent hit too many UEs.

I only caught the final few points of Krajicek/Tu and couldn't believe that the score was so one-sided. I expected to see Krajicek on the winning end but it was not to be.

I got to see all of Maureen Drake's match- what a ride! She was showing one ballboy (in English, the poor guy) how to toss the balls since he was spiking them and making them bounce too high. She slammed a ball way out of the court and over a different court's fence at one point, later screamed "You're the worst player EVER!!!!" to herself, and didn't even move for many shots in the last set. HectorMagnus, the "fan" who got a picture with Drake afterwards was me!!! I had the backpack with the flags of the Czech Republic, France, and Spain- no one else talked to Maureen, so the person you are referring to is most definitely me :-)

My friend and I also caught Dinara Safina practicing with Jill Craybas (it wasn't Kostanic), who actually hit her backhand and serve quite well. She even "beat" Safina in their practice games. Kremer and Tanasugarn were hitting on the court to the left while Jarkko Nieminen was hitting with some guy on the court to their right. I got a picture with Safina and she is DEFINITELY a tall girl.

Benesova was hanging around the player's lounge talking to some ATP player and then outside for the last match of the day on Court Two- she is very slight.

That's about all the news for today- the weather was nice enough to hold off on the rain until after the matches stopped.

I will try to report tomorrow if there is any tennis played.

-Jared

I think I saw you, hope you enjoyed it :yeah:

but dunno, I think I saw Kostanic somewhere near Safina :shrug:, she probably had training before her.... :wavey:

CooCooCachoo
May 8th, 2005, 08:18 AM
I am jealous of you guys.. You get a superb Challenger and a great WTA event at the same place. I would so love to be there :(

Should you be bored with women's matches, could you please watch Sébastien de Chaunac and Sergiy Stakhovsky? And take pictures? :angel: :p

Have fun :hug:

Jackson.
May 8th, 2005, 01:42 PM
Nice report :) :D