PDA

View Full Version : Mary out of Sarasota!!

Tatiana Panova
Apr 4th, 2002, 10:50 PM
Mary just lost her match to Anastasia 6-4, 3-6, 7-6(7-4).

I think this a good result for Mary who must be very rusty, and she needs to learn the battle of tennis again. Tough matches make tough opponents. Anastasia is a good player and has really pushed the top ten so I think that Mary should be proud of herself, having not played properly for like two years. I think she will only get better hopefully.

Do you think she is gonna get better and take a lot from this match or is she washed up?

Scotso
Apr 4th, 2002, 10:55 PM
She'll improve. She's a better player than Myskina and should have won today. But, who knows how much she'll improve. I'd like to think she'll contend for slams again but I just don't know.

auntie janie
Apr 4th, 2002, 10:56 PM
I think Mary did really well after not competing for so long. Anastasia is a quality opponent. I'd love to have seen the match, but I'd say, Mary's Back! :wavey:

And that's all to the good, for Mary, for the Tour, and for US FANS! :hearts:

Tatiana Panova
Apr 4th, 2002, 10:59 PM
I would say that Mary is back baby!!! . She is a contender again and she just needs to play a lot.

Does noone else get frustrated though anticipating and then enduring the comeback? I do, but it is not Mary's fault just these crappy injuries.

FroggyLight
Apr 4th, 2002, 11:00 PM
I think this was a good match for both players! Nastya finally got her confidence boost that she really needed, and Mary she's well and fit again . Just a bit rust thats all! She'll be winning tournies in no time!

thefreedesigner
Apr 4th, 2002, 11:03 PM
I think this represents a really good (I might even say fantastic) start for Mary.

To beat Ai in straight sets, having not completed a competitive match in how long, and then to push Myskina who is on one of her hot streaks means that Mary Means Business imo... and that's good to see.

nikita771
Apr 4th, 2002, 11:05 PM
Shucks! I'm so glad that she is back and was hoping that she would stamp this comeback with a title. But - she lost a very close match for someone who has been suffering with so many injuries. I"m disappointed, but extremely proud of her.

Fingon
Apr 4th, 2002, 11:06 PM
Although Scotso (GCM) surely doesn't want me even mentioning Mary, I will anyways ;)

Of course Mary is a much better player than Myskina, and should have won the match, but she's been away too long, and Myskina has been playing pretty well lately.

I hope this loss doesn't affect Mary's confidence. In the past, as many other player, Mary has been slow to regain her confidence after an injury, and this time she's been away too long.

Mary is one of those players (even without volleys ;)) that can beat anyone if she is on. She can hit the ball as hard as Venus, Serena and Lindsay, and go for the lines on every shot, and she has a very good serve as well. She needs her confidence back and that will come with matches. A good thing is that she came back on the claycourt season where it's less likely she will get injured again and she can get better results to raise her confidence.

QUEENLINDSAY
Apr 4th, 2002, 11:09 PM
I think she's getting back slowly.
She just needs more confidence and mental toughness.
I know her game is 50% back to old form.

Come on Mary!!!!!

Scotso
Apr 4th, 2002, 11:12 PM
Why do you always have to mention that I'm GoCoriMori? Everyone knows that, it's not as if I'm trying to hide.

Fingon
Apr 4th, 2002, 11:13 PM
Did I say Gocorimori? :confused:

sinjoor60
Apr 4th, 2002, 11:21 PM
You can't expect mary to win a tournament immediately after her comeback from so far. I think she did very well against Anastasia who is an excellent player. Lose in a close tiebreak 3rd set is quite remarkable. Does anyone know if she is playing the claycourt tournaments at Amelia Island and the Family Circle Club Open in Charleston ?? I know Justine is going to and hope Mary can take it up again on clay and compete with the best at Roland Garros !!:bounce:

nikita771
Apr 4th, 2002, 11:55 PM
I don't think that anyone "expected" Mary to win anything. So far , what I've read are cheers to Mary for being back and playing well after being gone for so long. I for one am happy that she won her 1st round match and played so closely in the 2nd round. I was "hoping" that she would go farther, but I definitely had no expectations. Bottome line - Mary is back and I'm pretty excited.

Berlin_Calling
Apr 5th, 2002, 12:03 AM
Mary is playing at Amelia Island so good luck to her there!!

Cam'ron Giles
Apr 5th, 2002, 04:03 AM
Poor Mary:sad:

treufreund
Apr 5th, 2002, 04:51 AM
Scotso is GCM! Get outta here!!!!!!!! weren't you MeWuvMary or something like that before you were GCM?

Jordan.
Apr 5th, 2002, 04:56 AM
Mary is my 5th favorite now!Woohoo!Go Mary! :)

Sal U. Lite
Apr 5th, 2002, 05:29 AM
Poor Meryl.:sad:

SM
Apr 5th, 2002, 07:30 AM
the win was long overdue for ana..she really has haad plenty of chances to upset some good names and i hope this is the start of a very prosperous season:)

too bad mary fans..atleast she lost to a good player and played two good matches , not bad for a return!

King Aaron
Apr 5th, 2002, 07:45 AM
It's so close... but Myskina is a tough opponent so Mary did relatively well :)

2ace2
Apr 5th, 2002, 08:20 AM
Yeah, go Anastacia!!!
Too bad for Mary, but I think she's back now and she'll have lots of opportunities in the future!
:)

Oizo
Apr 5th, 2002, 09:56 AM
GoCoriMori? :eek: you mean Corina Morariu right? ;) :D

Williams Rulez
Apr 5th, 2002, 12:31 PM
Good to hear Mary can be competitive after such a long lay off... I hope Mary can continue to recover her form... :bounce: :D

Scotso
Apr 5th, 2002, 01:01 PM
treu, yes.

Beige
Apr 5th, 2002, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by Tatiana Panova
Mary just lost her match to Anastasia 6-4, 3-6, 7-6(7-4).

I think this a good result for Mary who must be very rusty, and she needs to learn the battle of tennis again. Tough matches make tough opponents. Anastasia is a good player and has really pushed the top ten so I think that Mary should be proud of herself, having not played properly for like two years. I think she will only get better hopefully.

Do you think she is gonna get better and take a lot from this match or is she washed up?

Very good assessment, TP. It was a tight match and Mary came up short against a dangerous opponent. This loss is positive because it shows that Mary hung in there until the end.

Keep it going, Mary!

ys
Apr 5th, 2002, 04:38 PM
Beating opponents coming from injury is Nastya's speciality. Guess who beat Anna Kournikova first in her comeback after last injury..

sinjoor60
Apr 5th, 2002, 11:14 PM
Anastasia Myskina, who did beat mary, is out against meghann!!
meghann saved a matchball in the second set tiebreak, won it and also the 3rd set. Well done meghann !!