PDA

View Full Version : French bake up more dough for the women

TeeRexx
Apr 4th, 2002, 10:45 PM
from AP news:
------------
"PARIS Women will get more money at this year's French Open, but will still receive less than the men. Total prize money is going up 10% to $10,762,508, organizers said Wednesday. The men's champion will earn $686,135 and the women's champ will earn $668,981. The overall women's increase is 11.5% compared with a 10.4% increase for the men. Prize money at the U.S. Open and the Australian Open is equal for men and women. Women still receive less than men at Wimbledon."
------------

Yeah, either SERENA or VENUS could use that extra money for a first place finish. ;)

TeeRexx
Apr 5th, 2002, 12:06 AM
Why let $18,000 seperat the men and womens first place money in a slam of this magnitude?

Crazy Canuck
Apr 5th, 2002, 12:53 AM
tee rexx- I agree..the 18k discrepency seems a little silly. But at least its getting close and closer, and soon or later they will have no choice to join the rest of us in the 1980's ;)

As for Wimbledon - I'm still waiting for them to jump into the 20th century :rolleyes:

wongqks
Apr 5th, 2002, 01:12 AM
Becca, Wimbledon cannot afford to pay equal money to women coz they won't have enopugh money to spend on flowers ;)

Williams Rulez
Apr 5th, 2002, 12:39 PM
Wimbledon is so dated... I don't understand why they can't get some sort of roof... :rolleyes:

When they get over the chauvinism of theirs, California may have drifted away from the coast of US... ;)

Halardfan
Apr 5th, 2002, 01:44 PM
I think Wimbledon is still the best GS title, and I think that would be the broad consensus among the players. They all have their strengths and faults...

As to the main point in hand, I agree with your Mr Rexx. Equality is the way to go. :)

Monica_Rules
Apr 5th, 2002, 02:06 PM
Its great news that womens przie money is getting closer to the mens!If Only wimbledon would tage a page out of the US and Aus open and offer equal przie money!:mad:

I expect Wimbldon to announce something similar within the next few weeks!

vw43
Apr 5th, 2002, 02:19 PM
I agree Tee Rexx and Becca -

Many people love Wimbledon for it's tradition but I wish this $18k tradition would go away...

:wavey:

Brian Stewart
Apr 5th, 2002, 04:29 PM
They're inching closer. Like they're either trying to sneak it in, or don't really want to do it. But, with the $ NBC pays, and with the tape-delayed badly-edited-so-as-to-destroy-all-momentum wimen's final outdrawing the men's semis and finals combined on this side of the pond, it's getting harder for them to argue against it.

As for Wimbledon, we may have to wait until they die off. Some of those guys think the automobile is just a fad.

TeeRexx
Apr 5th, 2002, 09:32 PM
We will have to bring about a pernicious ending to those Wimbey petunias in order to have equal pay for both genders.
Those old farts at the all England Club are just being obstinate bastards at the very least.

griffin
Apr 5th, 2002, 09:34 PM
(I think the AELTC are too fossilized to fart)

18K and they can't get over it? Jeez, talk about being petty.

Ryan
Apr 6th, 2002, 12:39 AM
The people who arrange the prize money are so arrogant. Why have an 18k difference when all it takes is to give $9000 more to the women from the mans pay check and they'd be even.:rolleyes: