PDA

View Full Version : Jamie (Sexism), Joshua (Racism) or Veronica (Homophobia)? ["TSL" Immunity Challenge]

McAuley
May 6th, 2005, 06:12 AM
Whose opinion do you agree with MOST?

JAMIE:

Sexism

I beleive sexism is the worst form of bigotry for many many reasons. I think it's one of the silliest forms, and is the oldest form of bigotry in the world! The bottom line is, for a species to continue you need a man and a woman. Above anything else we need to cherish each other.

Sexism does not effect a minority. Thus the number of people who will be effected, and hurt by it will be much greater then any other form of bigotry. Sexism is also one of the only forms of bigotry still prevelant in commercial advertising and t.v. in general. With the world becoming, more and more politically correct, sexism is still around. This may seem childish and subtle, but these images perpetuate the bigotry and continues the on going cycle. At the most trivial level, sexist jokes play a part in acts of many comedians, both male and female. Another subtle point, which may seem very particular, but is still a reflection on insensitivity and words that came out of bigotry is the lanauage. Whether it is gender specific job titles, or non-parallel usage many of the words we use are sexist. Trivial? Maybe. The truth is though the sexism caused the lanague, which in a reminder of where we've been.

Many theorists can group homophobia in the same category of sexism. Thus I beleive homophobia is just a facet of homophobia, and adds to the strength of the evilness that sexism is.

Rascism is still a relatively new phenomena in the growing world, and since sexism dates it to the dawn of time, and also is the most prevelant form of bigotry in popular culture, it is

JOSHUA:

Racism

The thing that separates racism from homophobia and sexism is that racism pitts people of equal ability on a less than/worse than basis. In other words, a black man and a white man, although with the same physical and mental ability, the black man (in most cases) would be deemed inferior to the white man.

Racism is also the reason that wars have been started - not homophobia and not sexism. If you look at the "Current War on Terror" it plays more of a fear of American's views on Arabs than anythign else. The whole US civil war played on a fear of white's fears of blacks gaining equal ability.

WW2 played on the fear of the Japanese, with the awful concentration camps in California. The Germans waged a racists war against the Jews, etc.

I feel that history has proven that time and again racism is the biggest form of bigotry.

VERONICA:

well, i would say that similar to joshua's post, its the same with homophobia. just because a person is gay does not make them weaker than a straight person. sorry, but in this particular case there isn't a big difference.

homophobia is a worse form of bigotry because they are ostracized for having a different sexual preference. seriously, what is up with that? you cant make a decision thats different from others? the thing about racism is that people hate because there are differences in beliefs. but the one thing they all believe in is that homosexuality is unnatural. ask a gay person whether they CHOSE to be that way. its something that cannot be helped. u think they want to live a life where they're bashed?

i also feel that though it may not be the start of wars and stuff, it creates separation within a society in itself.

the only reason why josh claims that racism is the biggest form of bigotry is because of the large numbers. the people cant hide their color, but they can live unhappilly being closeted. if every gay person came out, there will be a war waged upon them as well.

Hot 92 Jamz
May 6th, 2005, 01:43 PM
GO VERONICA! :bounce:

skanky~skanketta
May 6th, 2005, 02:23 PM
thanks baby!

but josh is winning this immunity by a mile.

make sure u keep me in the game!

VSFan1 aka Joshua L.
May 6th, 2005, 03:42 PM
:eek: I can't believe I'm doing so well in immunity again!

-Kieron-
May 6th, 2005, 03:48 PM
Veronica I guess..!