PDA

View Full Version : What's the biggest number of wild cards a player can receive in a season?

veryborednow
Apr 4th, 2002, 07:19 PM
Is there a limit? Or could the likes of Anna K (I'm not picking on her, just using her as an example) use wild cards into Tier Is for the rest of the season if she wanted to.

Is it different for players who were injured compared to a new player?

E. Blackadder
Apr 4th, 2002, 07:25 PM
I think the wildcard's are unlimited for each player. So Anna K can go on a whole career with wildcards and go out in the first round eacht time if she wants

Brian Stewart
Apr 4th, 2002, 08:01 PM
Past grand slam champions get unlimited wildcards.

Thanks to a change in the gold exempt rules, they now get unlimited wildcards too.

Every other player has a base of 3 main draw and 3 qualifying wildcards. A silver exempt player gets to double that to 6. A 10-year veteran can add another 3, for a total of 9.

veryborednow
Apr 4th, 2002, 08:06 PM
so Anna K and Mary will get unlimited wild cards?

but say, winjaja (sp?) is only allowed 3?

thank you :)

GogoGirl
Apr 4th, 2002, 08:46 PM
VBN - you are right in my estimation.

On another board, I stated that Anna's sponsors would soon demand more from her.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2-2002150918,00.html

matthias
Apr 4th, 2002, 09:13 PM
there is a limit, but not for the top players. there is a list, called Gold and silver exempt or so.
TBE posted the rule few weeks ago. search for it ;)

matthias
Apr 4th, 2002, 09:14 PM
Wild Cards are those players chosen by the Tournament Director to fill designated spots in the draw. The only restrictions on Wild Cards are for players who have already use the Maximum number of Wild Cards allowed in a Tour Year, and those players ineligible to receive a Wild Card due to restrictions set forth in the Sanex WTA Age Eligibility Rule. By reason of the foregoing, Wild Cards are not considered official until approved by the Tour. A Wild Card may be seeded, based on Sanex WTA seeding proceedings.

a. Each Tour Tournament, exclusive of the Grand Slams and the Championships, will receive an additional Wild Card spot to be called the “Exempt Wild Card”, based on the following: If a Tournament does not have Contractual Player Commitment or loses Contractual Player Commitment prior to the start of the Tournament, the Exempt Wild Card will be first used by the Tour to move a Gold Exempt Player into the Main Draw of a Tournament who fulfils Contractual Player Commitment. If the Tour does not use Exempt Wild Card, the Exempt Wild Card may be used by the Tournament Director to be awarded only to a Gold or Silver Exempt Player who must be ranked in the Top 100 singles ranking used for player movement in order to be eligible for the wild card. i. The Tournament Director must advise the Sanex WTA or the Sanex WTA Tour
Supervisor in writing of the singles Wild Card nominations and alternate Wild Card nominations by 4:00pm the day of Qualifying sign-in. If there is no Qualifying event, Wild Card nominations must be made in writing by Friday by 4:00pm the week preceding The Tournament, or by the day before the draw is made, whichever comes first. Wild Cards named by the Tournament Director prior to the deadline will be tentative until the Qualifying sign-in deadline. If at any time prior to the scheduled start of Qualifying, a Wild Card or Wild Card team into the Qualifying or Main Draw based upon her or their computer ranking or if a tentative Wild Card has withdrawn from the Tournament and an alternate Wild Card or Wild Card team was named prior to the Wild Card deadline, the Tournament Director will be allowed to fill the vacated Wild Card spot with his alternate Wild Card.

NOTE: If a Main Draw Wild Card withdraws before the start of the Main Draw and before the Qualifying sign-in, the Tournament has reasonable time until the start of the Main Draw to name an alternate Wild Card. In this case the alternate Wild Card does not need to be named prior to the Wild Card nominations deadline. The new Wild Card cannot be a player participating in the qualifying. If the Tournament does not name another Wild Card, a Lucky Loser will fill the open spot.

If the ranking of the alternate Wild Card (current ranking used to determine seedings) is high enough to be seeded, the seeds will be adjusted accordingly. The leas amount of seed movement will be done with the formerly “last seed” to fill the open spot created by the withdrawal of the original non-seeded wild card.

NOTE: At events where there is no on-site alternates, openings in the draw may be filled by additional Wild Cards. Players/teams waiting to get in to the draw as additional tournament wild cards must sign in with the Supervisor / Referee before the scheduled start of playing each day to be eligible for any openings in the draw that day. The maximum number of Wild Cards any player may receive into a Sanex WTA Tour singles event during a Tour Year is six (6) with a maximum of three (3) allowed in the Main Draw. The following exceptions apply to both singles and doubles Wild Cards where indicated.

1. Gold Exempt Players may receive an unlimited number of Wild Card nominations.
2. Silver Exempt Players may receive a total of seven (7) singles and seven (7) doubles wild cards. A maximum of five (5) singles and five (5) doubles may be used in a main draw in both singles and doubles.
3. Players who have competed on the Tour Tournaments for ten (10) years or more (not necessarily consecutively) will be allowed three(3) additional Wild Cards, either in Main Draw or in Qualifying.
4. Any player who is a past singles champion of a Grand Slam or Tour Championship will be allowed an unlimited number of Singles Main Draw Wild Card nominations.
5. Any player who is a past champion of a Grand Slam or the Championship Women’s Doubles title will be allowed an unlimited number of Wild Card nominations.
6. Pursuant to the Age Eligibility Rule, players under the age of 18 are restricted in the number and level of Wild Cards the may receive.
7. As to the Exempt Wild Card, Gold Exempt Players #14-20 and Silver Exempt Players may only be awarded the Exempt Wild Card a maximum of three (3) times during a Tour Year.
8. Under extraordinary circumstances, the Sanex WTA Tour has the sole discretion to select the 16th player in the singles draw of the Championships.
9. In Order for a Gold/Silver Exempt Player to be eligible for the Exempt Wild Card, she must be ranked in the Top 100 singles on the rankings used for player movement.[/list]

GoDominiqu
Apr 4th, 2002, 09:32 PM
Does that realy mean that Anna can play an unlimited number of tier I- and II- events without having to qualiy once ? What a bad rule ! :fiery:

And it won't do her any good.

-Sonic-
Apr 4th, 2002, 10:04 PM
Tournaments might not give her ones in the future if she asks for them if she doesn't deliver... you never know.

Martian Martin
Apr 4th, 2002, 10:42 PM
Firstly no way will Anna not receive a wild card from a tournament director, it just won't happen.

Also why isn't it fair that Anna gets unlimited wild cards for this year?. She was injured for most of last year!!. I don't hear people complaining that Mary will get unlimited wild cards for the rest of the year, I mean players have to get a helping hand coming back from injury.

Steffica Greles
Apr 4th, 2002, 10:44 PM
Ummmmm.....I dunno. Ask Mirjana Lucic - I'm sure she's easy to contact these days.

She'll definitely know the answer;)

LucasArg
Apr 4th, 2002, 11:33 PM
SHe gets WC in every tournament she wants to play, but she cant win a match:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Celeste
Apr 5th, 2002, 12:31 AM
Well, place yourself in the shoes of someone who has sunk his/her own money into an event, or whose salary depends in ticket sales, ads, and attendance. They choose. You guys may love to rag on Anna, but the woman sells tickets. Didn't she skunk out Venus earlier this year? Classic! If my own cash was at stake and I could only make it back or make a profit on ticket sales or ads, I'd give Anna a wildcard over just about anyone else. Because people will buy tickets to see her, because her image is everywhere, whether you like it or not. Sure, I like Lucic, but she's not going to sell tickets for me like Anna, except maybe if we're in Croatia. People don't sponsor tennis events for the fans. They hold tournament to make money.

Now, if I could just find a cheap location where Anna would want to appear........!

And, to all Anna detractors, I saw her in an exhibition. The woman makes an obvious effort to look great and play well. She was "smoking" then and it was obvious she made an effort to play well and put on a show for those who paid in some cases hundreds of dollars to see her. You can't discount that. No matter what you pay to see Anna, she gives you your money's worth. Soooooo unlike her opponent that night. Showing up looking like shit and playing even worse even for a top player does make you some enemies in the sports world and reflects on your character.

marshmellow
Apr 5th, 2002, 01:57 AM
agree with celeste...

you can't blame the tounament directors for wanting to have anna play their tournies.

as long as you're a golden exempt player, you can avail of these privileges.

if anna fails to pick up her game and her ranking, then we she may not stay as a gold exempt player for long.

so i don't see the problem.

TheBoiledEgg
Apr 5th, 2002, 02:04 AM
thanx matthias for filling them in :)

Mirjana has used her maindraw allocation now anyway.

If the tournament directors didn't want Anna to recieve WCs they would not have put her at #9 on the Gold Exempt list in the first place,

by having Anna at #9 she counts as a Top 10 player in the player commitment stakes, as the position in the Gold Exempt Status determines throughout the year rather than the actual rank of a player for the commitment purposes.

veryborednow
Apr 5th, 2002, 07:54 AM
thank you everyone :)

essielewis
Apr 5th, 2002, 11:14 AM
Past grand slam champions get unlimited wildcards.

I guess I understand the rules but the other day I read an interview with Michael Chang (French Open champ) who said that he HOPED the French would give him a wild card. He's had severa in the past.

My question is: do they "automatically" give a wild card because they have to give one to a former champ or do they give a wild card because they want to give one to a former champ?

I understand about Anna because she does bring in the crowds, at least for the one or two days she's in a tournament. ;) But I wonder how much longer this will go on if she continues to stay around the 60s rather than move up to where she can get in automatically?

TheBoiledEgg
Apr 5th, 2002, 11:24 AM
Michael Chang is on ATP and they have different rules

ajayares
Apr 5th, 2002, 11:28 AM
Well.. Anna has only recieved 5 wildcards so far this year out of the 10 events she has played, so that is not every tournament...

She will get wildcards for the next 5 events aswell.. Amelia Island, Charleston, Hamburg, Berlin and Rome and perhaps Eastbourne aswell, depends on what the cut off is and Anna's ranking after Hamburg..

After Wimbledon I highly doubt she will need many if any wildcards for the rest of the year..

BTW she will not be staying around the 60's for too long either, No points to defend mean when she wins matches and she will, she will go up in the rankings..

monicain
Apr 5th, 2002, 12:51 PM
Definitely she'll climbed up to where she belongs! She's reaching the seeding-Go Anna, never mind what ppl. say:bounce:

Experimentee
Apr 5th, 2002, 01:26 PM
Who decides which players are on the gold or silver exempt lists, or how do they get there?

ajayares
Apr 5th, 2002, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by Experimentee
Who decides which players are on the gold or silver exempt lists, or how do they get there?

http://www.wtaworld.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4293