PDA

View Full Version : Credit to Rainer Hofmann, but continuing doubts about his character

vogus
May 5th, 2005, 05:04 PM
After attending the Charleston tournie this year I have to say that maybe I have been wrong about Rainer Hofmann because he seems to have undergone a radical change for the better. From everything that I can see with the way Patty's year has been going, he is actually doing an excellent job as her coach. Today Patty beat Kim Clisters for her third win over a Top 10 player this year, in all three of which she was trailing far down in the match. She is just playing very consistent tennis and consistency is a word that nobody was associating with Patty for many years when she had other coaches. So as long as Hofmann isn't pumping Patty full of steroids or something sinister to get these results, I have to take my hat off to him for the progress he has made. You can't even recognize Hofmann from the last time he was in the States three years ago - he used to be this fat La Cosa Nostra-looking guy who was doing nothing but hanging around the tournaments, smoking cigarettes and living a nice easy life off of Patty's prize money, while Patty and her coach Choudury did all the work. Today he looks as fit as Bruce Lee and he is doing all the things that you would expect the coach of a top player to be doing, he scouts the opponent's matches, he goes on court with Patty when she is practicing and directs the training, and if you watch him during the matches he seems very proactive and knowledgeable about his job and to have a passion for the game. Also whenever Patty plays a match now, her website is always updated the same day with a summary of the events (German language but easily translated on the Web) and this shows a consideration for the fans. So I think that whatever bad stuff Hofmann has done in the past, he has to get a lot of credit for Patty's performance so far this year because his behavior has become much more professional.

:hatoff:

switz
May 16th, 2005, 06:12 AM
:eek:

i never thoght we would be saying this a few years ago but it does look like it's working well.

i'm wondering who patty was talking to on the phone after the match. hofmann was there and who else would you speak with?? she did mention her parents in an interview recently but i doubt it was them. maybe her cats? :lol:

jeanpierre
Jul 2nd, 2005, 02:57 PM
Rainer Hofmann ist Abschaum, er ist ein Luegner, dass wissen wir alle in die Schweiz :lol:

vogus
Jul 31st, 2005, 07:22 AM
Lest anyone accuse me of going soft on Rainer Hofmann: of course i don't want to give the impression that i think Hofmann has earned a clean slate just because he has apparently become a reasonably effective tennis coach (as Patty's on-court results continue to suggest). There were serious charges of fraud against this guy, and unless i have badly misunderstood something, he was basically convicted in court in Germany of being a liar, a forger, and a thief. Equally disturbing as the conviction itself, is that fact that Hoffy has never come forward and apologized for his criminal behavior - what he has done instead, is try to deny his responsibility in the vaguest of terms while launching vicious personal attacks against the people who reported the news about his activities. Apparently Hofmann thinks of himself as celebrity royalty now, and therefore he doesn't need to answer any of the unpleasant questions about his criminal past, his dubious role in the Harnecker scandal and murky connections with the Swiss tabloids, and his nasty under-the-table fight with the Schnyder parents. Hoffy seems to think everybody has forgotten about this stuff, but as a veteran of the dirt-digging business himself, he should know better. His storyline reads like a "60 minutes" exposee waiting to be unveiled. If he doesn't air his own dirty laundry, there's a good chance that someone else is eventually going to do it for him. We all know what happened to Peter Graf.