PDA

View Full Version : Maria Sharapova talks about girls rooting against her.

the cat
Apr 4th, 2002, 03:39 PM
The article is from last May, and Maria talks about jealousies, and how some people, mainly girls, resent her for all the attention she receives. Is it fair? I don't think so. Atleast Maria has an understanding as to why some people resent her. Anna Kournikova has had to go through the same thing. The article is located at www.newscoast.com/story/May-18-2001/masters19.htm

the cat
Apr 4th, 2002, 04:02 PM
The most surprising aspect of this, is that this rooting against Maria took place at Bollettieri's. Which just happens to have been Maria's main training base for about 8 years. Now she's training most often with Robert Lansdorp at the South Bay Tennis Center in Torrance, California. Maria couldn't have been pleased that so many people were rooting against her on her home court at last years Bollettieri's Masters. I wonder if that led to her moving to California? But Maria handled herself well as usual.

tenn_ace
Apr 4th, 2002, 04:41 PM
Gosh, imagine what she should expect when she plays pro-tour fulltime........

oh, well.... good preparation;)

TheBoiledEgg
Apr 4th, 2002, 05:17 PM
She let her tennis do the talking and thats what matters :)

the cat
Apr 4th, 2002, 05:44 PM
tenn_ace, good preperation for the pro tour? Really? Maria is going to have the fans on her side almost all the time. I should hope so, anyway.

tenn_ace
Apr 4th, 2002, 06:31 PM
fans - YES, but players???:confused:

remember, Anna? players got jelaous of her even before her first match on the pro-tour and her first endoresement conatrct

auntie janie
Apr 4th, 2002, 07:35 PM
Now she is the one who is jealous of them, since they win titles. :cool:

the cat
Apr 4th, 2002, 08:00 PM
Oh Janie! Roughing Anna again. Huh?

tenn_ace, what is the Russian word for gosh?

And tenn_ace, why are the players so against Maria? I guess she's going to get the Kournikova treatment, whether she likes it or not. Udachi Maria! Rise above everyone and everything.

tenn_ace
Apr 4th, 2002, 08:30 PM
for Janie, it's like a day without a breakfast (if she doesn't say something to bash AK) :eek:

the cat, gosh will be (if I still remember Russian) something like [bozhe moy]

And tenn_ace, why are the players so against Maria?

I don't think it's because of something Maria did. It s only a human nature (especially among above average talented people)
to be jelaous of someone's success

besides, the article says that Bollitieri gave special attention to Maria... so here we go.

the cat
Apr 4th, 2002, 08:40 PM
Thanks tenn_ace! Atleast Maria understands what's going on. She is a very bright girl. And I think she might be one Russian girl who has a killer instinct. I hope so, anyway.