PDA

View Full Version : Texas Lawmakers OK Cheerleading Ban

Infiniti2001
May 4th, 2005, 01:47 PM
By APRIL CASTRO
.c The Associated Press

AUSTIN, Texas (AP) - After an alternately comic and fiery debate - punctuated by several lawmakers waving pompons - the state House on Tuesday approved a bill to restrict ``overtly sexually suggestive'' cheerleading to more ladylike performances.

The bill would give the state education commissioner authority to request that school districts review high school performances.

``Girls can get out and do all of these overly sexually performances and we applaud them and that's not right,'' said Democratic Rep. Al Edwards, who filed the legislation.

Edwards argued bawdy performances are a distraction for students resulting in pregnancies, dropouts and the spread of sexually transmitted diseases.

Ribald performances are not defined in the bill. ``Any adult that's been involved with sex in their lives, they know it when they see it,'' he said.

The bill passed on a 65-56 vote. It still must be approved by the Senate and signed by Republican Gov. Rick Perry.

One critic questioned the legislation's priorities.

``Have we done anything about stem cell research to help people who are dying and are sick advance their health? No,'' said Democratic Rep. Senfronia Thompson. ``Have we done anything about the mentally ill, school finance or ethics?''

The American Civil Liberties Union said the measure was unnecessary because state law already prohibits public lewdness by students on or near a school campus.

Is this a waste of legislature time or what?
:rolleyes:

Veritas
May 4th, 2005, 02:06 PM

I haven't see much cheerleading myself, but if movies such as "Bring it On" and "The Hot Chick" ( :o :o :o ) are anything to go by, then yes.

skanky~skanketta
May 4th, 2005, 02:34 PM
thats just stupid. being a cheerleader myself, i find that offensive. how sexual can u get?

Cariaoke
May 4th, 2005, 03:53 PM
Edwards argued bawdy performances are a distraction for students resulting in pregnancies, dropouts and the spread of sexually transmitted diseases.

ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok, so let me get this straight, watching a cheerleading performance leads to teen pregnancy, STD's and dropouts?

No, a lack of education causes #1 and #2 and as a result #3 happens.

I do agree that sometimes these uniforms and routines can cross the line of decency but to blame DANCING for social problems that existed even when cheerleaders had longer skirts and such is just plain stupid.

Did these lawmakers finish high school themselves? :tape: :o

SelesFan70
May 4th, 2005, 04:15 PM
"...now I gottah cut footloose! Footloose! Kick off my Sunday shoes!..." :banana: :yippee: :banana:

*paging Kevin Bacon*

Wigglytuff
May 4th, 2005, 04:18 PM
LOL!!!

seriously sexual suggestiveness is the point of modern cheerleading..(see dallas cowboy cheerleaders and LA Laker Girls), but this is madness.

1889 - U of MN: Johnny Campbell was the first cheerleader. It was the last football game of the season. Gophers against Northwestern. Johnny got up at yelled with a megaphone "Rah, Rah, Rah! Ski-U-Mah! Hoo-Rah! Varsity! Minn-e-so-tah!". After that people called him a yell leader & a yell marshal. The Ariel Newspaper reported by the first ever yell leaders at the U of MN.

Andy_
May 4th, 2005, 04:23 PM
I wonder if Dallas - tennisIlove09 - has read this already... :scratch: ;)

Circe
May 4th, 2005, 05:52 PM
ok i never saw the point of cheerleading myself, inspite of being on my school cheerleading team, but seriously, a LAW to restrict lewdness in cheerleading. brainless twits.

that's my new favorite phrase. brainless twit.

GBFH
May 4th, 2005, 06:01 PM
heard about it on the radio this morning.

guess holiday is right. texas isn't a part of the USA. we're a wholly separate island of insanity in a raging sea of stupidity.

my fave line from vice city.

Paneru
May 4th, 2005, 06:40 PM

Nah, in a society where one has health care, , poverty,
bigotry, disease, starvation, terrorism, ect...all is right
with the world to freeup their hands to tackle the
seriousness of girls girating their butts and crotches
in from of horny teenage boys and middle-aged
men to drool over. :p

mboyle
May 4th, 2005, 07:09 PM
damn I feel sorry for Texas boys:p ...