PDA

View Full Version : HELP: Improving my knowledge of the English language & my English vocabulary

CooCooCachoo
May 2nd, 2005, 07:46 PM
Hey :)

I'm wondering if anyone has any good links to websites where I can improve and enhance my English skills. I really want to master the English language better than I do know. For your information, my current level is pretty high for a non-native speaker. I am, ergo, not looking for some lame site telling me what an apple is :p

Also, I want to do this just for fun and also to prepare myself well for university next year, where I'll be taking part in an English-language study program (if I get accepted that is, but I am 95% sure of that). Expanding my vocabulary would greatly help me ;)

Thanks in advance!

:wavey: :bounce: :wavey:

James
May 2nd, 2005, 08:05 PM
Like you said, your English already seems pretty advanced for a non-native speaker (of your age as well). Are you sure you need any more lessons?

CooCooCachoo
May 2nd, 2005, 08:07 PM
The point is not that I need more lessons to attain a good level of English.
The point is that I want to further improve my English ;) I want to really expand my knowledge of the language :) I know my level is already pretty good, but it can always be better ;)

:Rawwb:
May 2nd, 2005, 08:08 PM
Hey :)

I'm wondering if anyone has any good links to websites where I can improve and enhance my English skills. I really want to master the English language better than I do know. For your information, my current level is pretty high for a non-native speaker. I am, ergo, not looking for some lame site telling me what an apple is :p

Also, I want to do this just for fun and also to prepare myself well for university next year, where I'll be taking part in an English-language study program (if I get accepted that is, but I am 95% sure of that). Expanding my vocabulary would greatly help me ;)

Thanks in advance!

:wavey: :bounce: :wavey:

You're English seems fine to me Martijn :shrug:

PaulieM
May 2nd, 2005, 08:08 PM
the best way to fine tune your english vocab is to try and speak in english as much as possible, i find that with foreign languages there's only so much you can learn in class or from a book. to become fluent or close to it you really have to speak to native speakers for a bit.

CooCooCachoo
May 2nd, 2005, 08:09 PM

No no no you are all getting me wrong :p

I am not questioning my knowledge of the English language :p I am aware of how I speak it now :p

creep
May 2nd, 2005, 08:09 PM
If I didnít post in this thread 'sharpeirob' would be disappointed, so there. :)

:Rawwb:
May 2nd, 2005, 08:11 PM
If I didnít post in this thread 'sharpeirob' would be disappointed, so there. :)
Aww, you think I would be dissapointed? The only way I would be dissapointed in you is if you fell of a ladder and didnt seriously injure yourself :tape: :devil: :smash:

James
May 2nd, 2005, 08:11 PM

I think his English is even better than some natives, the way he usually corrects people. :lol:

CooCooCachoo
May 2nd, 2005, 08:13 PM

But you haven't offended me yet :p

creep
May 2nd, 2005, 08:16 PM
Aww, you think I would be dissapointed? The only way I would be dissapointed in you is if you fell of a ladder and didnt seriously injure yourself :tape: :devil: :smash:

That's evil, I'm very shocked to hear you make this comment.

But that is so spooky you should say that! Tomorrow I promised to go round to the old folks home and paint the windows frames of the building. theyíve become a bit shabby and the local council wouldnít stump up the cash. So I offered my time to gave the place a once over for them. Hope you haven't wished me ill, I'd never do that to another person.

Pengwin
May 2nd, 2005, 08:21 PM
Your English is already perfect!

Why don't you learn Welsh or something :)

CooCooCachoo
May 2nd, 2005, 08:22 PM
Your English is already perfect!

Why don't you learn Welsh or something :)

:rolls:

It is by no means perfect and I would really like to improve it. Note: this is not me saying I have a lousy grasp of English :p

And I think Welsh would scare me :scared:

SelesFan70
May 2nd, 2005, 09:51 PM
My GOD! You use commas and stuff! :worship:

:lol:

Just watch as much American, British, or Australian as you can I suppose?

cellophane
May 2nd, 2005, 10:00 PM
I think the best way to improve is to read loads of books. But that's if you want to expand your vocabulary. What is your goal exactly? Do you just want to expand your vocabulary or improve your writing skills or what?

controlfreak
May 2nd, 2005, 10:46 PM
Read a book in English. Then read another. Etc...

MisterQ
May 2nd, 2005, 11:54 PM
CooCoo, you might enjoy reading Bill Bryson's Dictionary of Troublesome Words. It's the type of book that corrects mistakes even educated English speakers don't know they are making. :lol: ;) Some of the examples are ridiculously picky --- but others are quite enlightening. :)

http://www.randomhouse.com/features/billbryson/bb_title/display.pperl?0767910435

MisterQ
May 3rd, 2005, 12:08 AM
And I recommend Bryson's other books, too, by the way... ;)

alexusjonesfan
May 3rd, 2005, 12:15 AM
join a more erudite board ;) seriously, I think this place might make people's english worse...look at me ive forgotten how to punctuate

Cariaoke
May 3rd, 2005, 12:22 AM
:haha: @ viggen.

don't look on the internet, at all. we've all mastered lack of punctuation and abbreviation.

I suggest you read a few books.

Joana
May 3rd, 2005, 12:31 AM
I recommend you to listen to a lot of hip-hop music, watch MTV as much as possible and frequently engage in conversations with azza. That should be enough.

cellophane
May 3rd, 2005, 12:45 AM
I recommend you to listen to a lot of hip-hop music, watch MTV as much as possible and frequently engage in conversations with azza. That should be enough.

:haha: You are insulting hip-hop. ;)

azza
May 3rd, 2005, 05:31 AM
My English is quite the good.

CooCooCachoo
May 3rd, 2005, 07:37 AM
I think the best way to improve is to read loads of books. But that's if you want to expand your vocabulary. What is your goal exactly? Do you just want to expand your vocabulary or improve your writing skills or what?

Both ;) But preferably the first :lol:

CooCooCachoo
May 3rd, 2005, 07:37 AM
My GOD! You use commas and stuff! :worship:

:lol:

:hehehe:

:silly:

CooCooCachoo
May 3rd, 2005, 07:40 AM
Read a book in English. Then read another. Etc...

Yeah I almost only read books in English already. I think that translations often don't do justice to a book. Therefore I try to read works in their original language. I can manage Dutch and English of course, and sometimes French and German, but I have a problem if I want to read Dostoevsky :tape:

But now with the books I am reading, I am just making a list of words whose definition I would like to get right. Even though I can follow the plot just fine without knowing their exact meaning, I think it could help expand the vocabulary that I actually use in writing or speaking.

CooCooCachoo
May 3rd, 2005, 07:40 AM
CooCoo, you might enjoy reading Bill Bryson's Dictionary of Troublesome Words. It's the type of book that corrects mistakes even educated English speakers don't know they are making. :lol: ;) Some of the examples are ridiculously picky --- but others are quite enlightening. :)

http://www.randomhouse.com/features/billbryson/bb_title/display.pperl?0767910435

:lol: Thanks Matt :hug: :)

CooCooCachoo
May 3rd, 2005, 07:41 AM
join a more erudite board ;) seriously, I think this place might make people's english worse...look at me ive forgotten how to punctuate

:haha:

At least you still made use of the comma there ;)

CooCooCachoo
May 3rd, 2005, 07:44 AM
:haha: @ viggen.

don't look on the internet, at all. we've all mastered lack of punctuation and abbreviation.

I suggest you read a few books.

:lol: This almost makes it sound as if I don't read books :p I do. I work in a bookstore too and have a large collection of books, so that will not be the problem ;)

Am currently reading Politics by Adam Thirlwell (a novel) and The Illustrated History of the World - Volume 9: Emerging Powers by J.M. Roberts (obviously no novel :lol: ).

Oh and I have Lynne Truss' Eats, shoots and leaves also ready to read. It's about punctuation so I hope it makes for interesting reading :unsure:

CooCooCachoo
May 3rd, 2005, 07:45 AM

I would engage in conversations with azza, but I want to avoid the topic of Nicole Pratt's genitalia at all costs.

azza
May 3rd, 2005, 09:00 AM
I would engage in conversations with azza, but I want to avoid the topic of Nicole Pratt's genitalia at all costs.

Oh puhhlease you know u want it :lol:

mandy7
May 3rd, 2005, 09:04 AM
martijn... you're just being a show-off :p
you don't need any links to sites to improve your english
and you just want ppl to tell you that! :lol:

CooCooCachoo
May 3rd, 2005, 09:06 AM
martijn... you're just being a show-off :p
you don't need any links to sites to improve your english
and you just want ppl to tell you that! :lol:

You are seriously not getting the point of this thread, but that's OK :kiss:

Beefy
I think his English is quite good as it is

mandy7
I think his English is quite good as it is

that's what he wants to hear :)

mandy7
May 3rd, 2005, 09:07 AM
You are seriously not getting the point of this thread, but that's OK :kiss:

i am, so drop the snobbish tone!

CooCooCachoo
May 3rd, 2005, 09:08 AM
that's what he wants to hear :)

Seriously Mandy, fuck off :) This thread is serious and if you came here to annoy me, then go do that elsewhere. Thanks.

mandy7
May 3rd, 2005, 09:11 AM
you're telling me to fuck off?
and you call me rude?

that doesn't make much sense, does it? :)

CooCooCachoo
May 3rd, 2005, 09:14 AM
you're telling me to fuck off?
and you call me rude?

that doesn't make much sense, does it? :)

I am trying your approach to things cause my usual approach doesn't seem to function cause you are either too stubborn or too thick.

mandy7
May 3rd, 2005, 09:16 AM
oh so you're just gonna insult me now?

good to know, that changes a lot for this summer :)

CooCooCachoo
May 3rd, 2005, 09:43 AM
oh so you're just gonna insult me now?

good to know, that changes a lot for this summer :)

:) :rolleyes:

It's good to know that you finally grasp that you insult people then. Cause I made it clear I was using your approach.

mandy7
May 3rd, 2005, 09:45 AM
sure man, whatever floats your boat :)

alexusjonesfan
May 3rd, 2005, 04:46 PM
Oh and I have Lynne Truss' Eats, shoots and leaves also ready to read. It's about punctuation so I hope it makes for interesting reading :unsure:

I haven't read that one but it was really really popular here when it came out. Everyone was talking about it. One I've read recently that's similar to it is 'The Genius of Language' edited by Wendy Lesser. It's a collection of essays by 15 authors who write in English but are non-native English speakers. It's pretty interesting with views on how weird English can seem at times depending on your perspective. There's even a Dutch author's contribution. ;)

Warrior
May 3rd, 2005, 05:26 PM
best place to learn new idioms is here:

http://home.t-online.de/home/toni.goeller/idiom_wm/

CooCooCachoo
May 3rd, 2005, 07:37 PM
I haven't read that one but it was really really popular here when it came out. Everyone was talking about it. One I've read recently that's similar to it is 'The Genius of Language' edited by Wendy Lesser. It's a collection of essays by 15 authors who write in English but are non-native English speakers. It's pretty interesting with views on how weird English can seem at times depending on your perspective. There's even a Dutch author's contribution. ;)

:lol: Do you happen to know the name of the Dutch author?

CooCooCachoo
May 3rd, 2005, 07:40 PM
best place to learn new idioms is here

http://home.t-online.de/home/toni.goeller/idiom_wm/

alexusjonesfan
May 3rd, 2005, 07:52 PM
:lol: Do you happen to know the name of the Dutch author?

hmm..I'll have to find the book, sorry I don't remember the name ;)