PDA

View Full Version : Movie: The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

RVD
May 1st, 2005, 09:50 PM
Has anyone here read the book and seen the movie?
Does the movie do the book justice?

I went expecting this kickazz comedy (based solely on the trailer). :lol:
Anyway, here's my critique for those planning to see this film.

Synopsis: Earthman Arthur Dent is having a very bad day. His house is about to be bulldozed, he discovers that his best friend (Ford Prefect) is an alien and to top things off, Planet Earth is about to be demolished to make way for a hyperspace bypass. Arthur's only chance for survival: hitch a ride on a passing spacecraft. For the novice space traveler, the greatest adventure in the universe begins when the world ends. Arthur sets out on a journey in which he finds that nothing is as it seems: he learns that a towel is just the most useful thing in the universe, finds the meaning of life, and discovers that everything he needs to know can be found in one book: The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

CG: These were some of the best I've see. They were vibrant and expansive renderings that looked too real not to be. :yeah: :yeah:

Storyline: Very interesting and imaginative. And the cartoon-narratives were an excellent vehicle with which to explain to us non-fans of the book why certain things occurred within the story and plot. :yeah: :yeah:

Characters: The characters were the most eclectic, yet oddest bunch, seen in a feature film since...well... Shrek. :lol: I especially enjoyed Marvin the Paranoid Robot, and Ford Prefect. Even the space ship's doors expressed an emotion when opening and closing. Also, the Jim Hensen Creature Shop did an incredible job with most of the creature characters. However, you could tell that they were definitely given limited funds judging by the space ship's interior and extraneous creature creations. At times, it was like watching the Muppet Show. :yeah:

Acting & Delivery: This is where the movie soured IMO. Alan Rickman as the robot, and Mos Def as Ford Perfect were excellent. Everyone else pretty much stunk. The place up. Two of the main characters Martin Freeman and Zooey Deschanel lacked chemistry. Zooey was cute as usual, and looked even better as a brunette than a blond suffered from Martin's wholly unconvincing performance. Especially his delivery. Actually, many of the characters' attempt at cerebral humor fell flat IMHO. http://deephousepage.com/smilies/icon130.gif

If you've seen the movie, what did you think.
Am I way off the mark with my overall opinion?

RVD
May 8th, 2005, 10:45 PM
*bump*
Okay, no one saw this but me?! :eek: :lol:

bergkamp2004
May 8th, 2005, 10:52 PM
i saw the movie and thought it was dreadful

it was not funny and the jokes were drab

i read the book and the best bits of the book were kept out

the film was no more than a time passer

ys
May 8th, 2005, 10:55 PM
One thing .. If you haven't read the book .. don't go to see the movie.. You won't understand a thing... I've read a half of the book .. and I really gave up half way through..

RVD
May 8th, 2005, 11:43 PM
My wife and daughter were constantly befuddled by the (and I use the term loosely) jokes in this film. Everyone else laughed but us. It was like one of those amateur stand-up routines where the drum-roll after the punch line is the funniest part. :confused:
Now I don't feel so confused as to what constitutes good humor. ;) :wavey:

Steam
May 9th, 2005, 05:14 AM
This movie sucked all kinds of ass.

Wasn't familiar with the book at all and this didn't help matters. Awful awful movie. It also didn't help my generally negative take on British comedies (never was a Monty Python fan, although I did really enjoy "The Office").

Avoid at all costs.

Prizeidiot
May 9th, 2005, 08:10 AM
I would like to see the movie.... so far I've heard mixed opinions on it.

I've read the "trilogy" of the 5 books, and they're imaginative, funny, and generally fantastic. I think I'll end up seeing it if I get around to it, just out of curiousity.

SM
May 9th, 2005, 12:53 PM
i enjoyed the book...always like seeing the translation to movie even if it doesnt do the book justice

The Crow
May 9th, 2005, 01:01 PM
I just read the book, and it was okay. I thought it was very suitable as screenplay for a movie though, so I can't wait to see it...