PDA

View Full Version : which country gets the 5th GS and why?

Cybelle Darkholme
Apr 4th, 2002, 12:25 AM
Thanks to anabel I have redone the poll because she made a good point :wavey:

now who deserves the next gs and why wohoo!

Fingon
Apr 4th, 2002, 12:29 AM
I think Faroe Islands should get it

anabel
Apr 4th, 2002, 12:29 AM
The poll looks better now ;)

I think Spain deserves one, as i sadi we are the 2nd country with more top 100 players or about ;)

Berlin_Calling
Apr 4th, 2002, 12:30 AM
I would say that BRazil deserves a GS because there are no GS in South America. ....Heck!!There are hardly any regular touney's in S. America. There isnt a GS in Asia either but they host quite a few big tournamets like the Toray Pan Pacific and the Japan Open,.

venusfan
Apr 4th, 2002, 12:31 AM
WHERE IS ISREAL.. I'M SURE A LOT OF PLAYERS WOULD GET PRACTICE GOOD RUNNING PRACTICE WHEN RUNNING FOR COVER.

angele87
Apr 4th, 2002, 12:31 AM
I voted for Canada or more specifically, one close enough to me that I can go watch !!

Vanity
Apr 4th, 2002, 12:32 AM
Definately Canada... and it would have to be hosted in Calgary!!! ;)

Don't really have a good reason as to why... just because it'd be in my city and I could go see all the matches ;)

LucasArg
Apr 4th, 2002, 12:34 AM
I voted for Brazil, because Latin America has only 3 WTA tournaments during the season:o :o :o :o (Bahia, Bogota and Acapulco)

Also would be nice in Argentina:wavey:

VAMOS LATINOAMERICA:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Deseo que el planeta se vuelva original, con base latina como centro solar / Erica Garcia :kiss:

Mikey
Apr 4th, 2002, 12:34 AM
it depends...what is this fifth surface going to be?

hard
grass
clay
rebound ace

the four grand slams are all diff. surfaces (if you count rebound and hard as diff.) so where's this fifth one? carpet indoors? that'd be cool. then it really doesn't matter, but clay, definitely spain. but anything else doesn't really matter.

i like the israel idea! :bounce: (though not the running for cover part....:o)

Cybelle Darkholme
Apr 4th, 2002, 12:41 AM
I think it should be carpet!

Mikey
Apr 4th, 2002, 12:44 AM
that'd be so cool to have an indoor carpet grand slam :D

Vanity
Apr 4th, 2002, 12:45 AM
there is so much indoor carpet in calgary... ;)

that's a neat idea tho!! :)

Fingon
Apr 4th, 2002, 12:48 AM
I am sure the organizers would be so happy to build 18 courts indoors, one of them with capacity for about 15,000 people, one for about 10,000 and a third for about 5,000.

Mikey
Apr 4th, 2002, 12:50 AM
ignoring logistics....i think that carpet would be fun! :p ;)

angele87
Apr 4th, 2002, 12:50 AM
Hmm, Carpet.... that would be fun in Halifax!!

Fingon
Apr 4th, 2002, 12:51 AM
Originally posted by niftymk
ignoring logistics....i think that carpet would be fun! :p ;)

That could be a real problem :p

RockSteady
Apr 4th, 2002, 12:52 AM
A Slam in South Africa would be great. Why?

1) A lot of players come from South Africa
2) The climate is very warm
3) If there is one contintent that gets the shaft in everything, it's Africa. I never see any African news unless it's warfare. Somewhere in southern Africa (not neccisarily South Africa) would be a great place for a GS. It would give people exposure to a place they are probably unfimiliar with.

Mikey
Apr 4th, 2002, 12:58 AM
Originally posted by Fingon

That could be a real problem :p

dont take it so seriously! oye

CC
Apr 4th, 2002, 01:13 AM
Jamaica Jamaica Jamaica :bounce:

But would the players actually play serious and focussed tennis? Hmmmm. On second thoughts.......maybe not such a good idea.

Can imagine the spectators' reaction to poor performance?

"Yuh know what it look like Jelena? Too much party last night." :D

"Yuh know what it look like Martina? Too much of that good stuff." ;)

Ted of Teds Tennis
Apr 4th, 2002, 02:00 AM
I frankly think there should be two more slams. One should be on green clay, held at Key Biscayne. (Yes, I know they'd have to change the surface there -- but Indian Wells should too, so that there can be a green clay season. I know this will never happen, of course.) The other should be an indoor slam, probably in Germany since that's the country that could best afford it. Either there or Moscow considering how many of the up and coming players seem to be from former Soviet Bloc countries. :)

If IW and KB *were* magically moved to green clay, then Sydney and either San Diego or LA should get bumped up to 56-draw Tier 1s.

Just my two cents.

--Ted

Barrie_Dude
Apr 4th, 2002, 02:05 AM
I voted for Brazil. There is not a major in South America that I am aware of, and yet, tennis appears to be very popular there. Plus, there have been alot of players from South America. I think that Brazil is the logical choice with a tourney located either in Sao Paulo, or Rio. Plus, it could be held in December, January, or February.

Cam'ron Giles
Apr 4th, 2002, 02:26 AM
I think Jen capp would vote Jamaica. She would have an unlimited supply of "the good stuff". ;)

Randy H
Apr 4th, 2002, 02:35 AM
I'd go with Brazil. Tennis is popular in South America so I am sure they could draw good crowds, but what they need are some bigger events in South America so that they could get warm up events down there and make it a more regular stop on the tour where many of the top players would travel to. I'd like to see a carpet slam, though it's highly unlikely, it would be fun to see anyway, so second choice would be clay since it suits the location and hardcourts already have 2 slams.

wongqks
Apr 4th, 2002, 02:36 AM
First, i am against having a fifth grand slam (reason said in other thread.) but if it is to be I qwould like it to be....

China, because

1: As much as people in the west think it is a communist country which the governemnt only knows how to depress freedom and torture people. The government will be behind this 100%

2: China is making a new phase and will be an international powerhouse soon, why don't tennis take the first step and it will become a legacy that maybe in 50 years time, people will remember one of the significant step forward for china is to have a fifth grand slam in china together with the olympics

3: By having a grand slam here, tennis is potentially open the largest market in the world and therefore taking tennis popularity to new heights

4: I would love it coz it will get people knows a bit more china and don't just focus on negative things about china

TheBoiledEgg
Apr 4th, 2002, 02:43 AM
Russia :)

cos soon we will have the most players on tour and in top 100.

ys
Apr 4th, 2002, 03:11 AM
Kremlin Cup is the biggest combined indoors event. In several years they are going to buy a Masters status anyway, so it will be combined Masters/Tier I indoors.

Adrian
Apr 4th, 2002, 03:58 AM
In my Eyes, the Canadian open has always been the best Tier 1...maybe a shift in time and a Grandslam status is overdue :)

Adrian
Apr 4th, 2002, 04:01 AM
I'd keep it at 4 slams too, scrap the US open, it is the most poorly ran slam and the US has way to many tournaments as it is :)

MaRKy MaRk
Apr 4th, 2002, 05:30 AM
I think Japan should have one. It'd be great to have a Grand Slam in Asia.

Scotso
Apr 4th, 2002, 05:35 AM
Espana!

Williams Rulez
Apr 4th, 2002, 07:44 AM
I think Brazil deserves one... :D

gentenaire
Apr 4th, 2002, 07:47 AM
It should go to either an Asian, African or South American country.

Mazza
Apr 4th, 2002, 07:53 AM
Brazil gets my vote!! That would be the coolest slam! :bounce:

Chris
Apr 4th, 2002, 08:18 AM
Netherlands???:rolleyes: Yeah right!

thefreedesigner
Apr 4th, 2002, 08:28 AM
Brazil or Japan... I voted for Japan.

Surface and timing would be an issue obivously, as would the possiblity that by having more GS you're increasing the chances of someone winning one, hence lowering the chances of it being that big a deal.

thefreedesigner
Apr 4th, 2002, 08:29 AM
btw who would have the inclination to actually bother to rate this thread one star? :rolleyes:

African African
Apr 4th, 2002, 12:51 PM
the 5th grand slam should go to South Africa.

Africa has produced a number of players both on the WTA and ATP and there is still no single tournament occuring in that part of the world.

i think allowing South Africa to host the 5th grand slam would really make tennis a truly world sport.

the grandslam preparation tournaments could be the Zimbabwe Open and the Botswana Open.

we would really feel honoured in africa.......

Williams Rulez
Apr 4th, 2002, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by thefreedesigner
btw who would have the inclination to actually bother to rate this thread one star? :rolleyes:
I was wondering as well... some people... :rolleyes:

Zamboni
Apr 4th, 2002, 01:34 PM
the Netherlands, just cos I live there ;) :angel:

vw43
Apr 4th, 2002, 01:34 PM
LOL@Freethinker...heheh

"oh yeah, we jammin, hope you like jammin too"

:cool:

anyway - I would vote for Germany if the evil crap against Monica hadn't happened there. They did produce such legends as Graf and Becker and you can't blame the whole country for one psycho but I understand why there will never be one there.

[S@nti]
Apr 4th, 2002, 04:17 PM
SPAIN

Tweety
Apr 4th, 2002, 04:25 PM
Germany because my cage is there ;)

herodoto
Apr 4th, 2002, 06:15 PM
Spain, because is a country with an old tennis tradition and because is the country with most top hundred players (in males, and 2nd place in females).

Ryan
Apr 4th, 2002, 07:31 PM
CANADA!!!

Hmm, Carpet.... that would be fun in Halifax!!

You live in Halifax? That's awesome, I though I was the only tennis fan in all of Nova Scotia.