PDA

View Full Version : Will Panova and Smashnova take over on clay?

Jakeev
Apr 3rd, 2002, 10:29 PM
With the clay-court season upon us, I am wondering if Tatiana Panova and Anna Smashnova poised to be the two most dangerous players on clay this season.

They are both in top shape, speedier than even Amanda Coetzer and Aranxta Sanchez, and both have great records going into the clay-court season.

Not sure they have enough stuff to take major clay-court titles this year but I can bet they Panova and Smashnova are two names players will worry about....

Robbie.
Apr 3rd, 2002, 11:36 PM
They are not quicker than Amanda, have you seen her lately her movement is awesome she literally doesn't put a foot wrong. she must be won of the best movers ever on a tennis court her footwork is amazing! Arantxa, i think is a step slower but I think amanda is as quick as ever.

That said I think that Panova and Smashnova have a chance to cause some upsets this year..maybe not the top echelon of players but definitely the lower top 10 - mid top 20 players. Both are playing with confidence, spark and tencaity which can get you a long way in this game...especially on clay. However one thing I have never understood is that Tatiana loves the faster surfaces and never does too well on clay, despite being scrappy and lightning fast, i guess its those flat groundstrokes of hers.

-Sonic-
Apr 3rd, 2002, 11:37 PM
Tatiana had a bad clay season last year, so although I doubt her doing anything major, she'll definately jump in the rankings a bit :cool:

Jakeev
Apr 4th, 2002, 01:16 AM
Hmmmm now Amanda looks a step slower to me for some reason the two times I have seen her lose to Martina this year......

ys
Apr 4th, 2002, 02:24 AM
That's a major confusion ( made mostly due to ASV ) that good retrievers should be good on clay. Not true. Clay is the surface of players who are capable of moving opponents around the court, in other words, outmaneuvering their opponents, of players who are capable of putting themselves into right position by good footwork.. It is not only retrievers who have more time to retrieve. It is also hardhitters, who have more time to prepare for shots. Powerful and consistent groundstrokers with the right footwork are much more likely to succeed on clay. Last three RG titles - Graf, Pierce, Capriati. Before that - ASV, but even that should have been Seles.

Kart
Apr 5th, 2002, 09:33 PM
Smashnova has the patience to be nightmare for the less patient players on a clay court, however, I think that the power players will prove too much for her.

I'd be more than happy to be wrong though :).

Jakeev
Apr 6th, 2002, 01:11 AM
Yep will have to wait and see Kart. Anna did get pummeled by Jelena Dokic in the second round at Sarasota and Tatiana is still played good ball and I think has a good shot at Meghann in the semis

Gonzo Hates Me!
Apr 6th, 2002, 04:00 AM
Iroda Tulyaganova

Why does everyone overlook her. I don't see Panova, and especially Smashnova breaking through for a while.

KINGLIRE
Apr 6th, 2002, 07:50 AM
Originally posted by Kart
Smashnova has the patience to be nightmare for the less patient players on a clay court, however, I think that the power players will prove too much for her.

I'd be more than happy to be wrong though :).

ya kart i think u are right smashnova and panova can cause an upset on their day but not the lower top ten. se what jelena dokic done to her 6-1 6-0 but what do ye think of anstacia myskina

2ace2
Apr 6th, 2002, 09:49 AM
I think they'll do good this year, but they won't upset any of the top players.
:)

hillly377
Apr 6th, 2002, 10:59 AM
I think the question is: could one of them upset one of the top ten on the clay season? well, I don't know a lot about Panova, but Smashnova has a chance, I mean, it's true that Jelena Dokic defeated her 6-0, 6-1 but let's not forget that 2 weeks ago Anna defeated Justine Henin (who did 103 UE). I think it can happen, probably not when the top players playing thier best tennis, but it can happen and I wish it will.
GOOD LUCK ANNA!

Tatiana Panova
Apr 6th, 2002, 01:48 PM
I think that everyone totally underestimates Tatiana. She is such a clever tennis player, and is faster than all the other retrievers. She is dangerous on any surface, and players have to work very hard to beat her. Even if the score is like 6-2 6-2 a player really has to break her down! I don't think clay is her best surface though, but we'll see. (she's pretty good on grass imo)

Experimentee
Apr 6th, 2002, 02:47 PM
I dont see whats so good about Panova and Smashnova. From what i've seen they only win when they're opponents make a lot of errors. Congrats for what they've done this year but i dont see them beating any more top players, except the ones that are really out of form.

-Sonic-
Apr 6th, 2002, 04:13 PM
Bet you didn't see Anna winning 2 titles in a row and Tatiana having such a great run at the end of last year either did you?

http://www.wtaworld.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=15007

Gonzo Hates Me!
Apr 6th, 2002, 07:48 PM
Originally posted by Sonic The Hedgehog
[B]Bet you didn't see Anna winning 2 titles in a row and Tatiana having such a great run at the end of last year either did you?

...hmm, well, yeah, I did and I have seen her play a hella lot of times, but... nah, I still don't see them being talk of the town

Jakeev
Apr 6th, 2002, 08:42 PM
Well Experementee perhaps you are right but I don't know.....perhaps the ue are a direct result of the fact playing Smashnova and Panova, two very fit women by the way, are like hitting against brick walls.

Do beat players like these you have to overwhelm them. Now Panova is in the final against Dokic. Perhaps Meghann lost that match to Panova today and Tatiana didn't win it.

Still, it's the Russian girl in the final.

For the record I am not suggesting Panova, Smashnova or players even like them are the new trend on tour. But I am happy to see that the counterpunchers at least are the ones making the effort to do what it takes to compete on a very tough tour.

Good for them I say.

Tatiana Panova
Apr 6th, 2002, 10:55 PM
Well said Jakeev.

But even though scramblers are not the new trend there will always be a place for them in the top 20 or 30. It is hard to consistenly hit the ball hard, and most points in tennis are still won when the opponent makes a mistake. So we will always have our Arantxas, Amanda, Tatianas etc. I think the trend now will be that these scramblers will need to have a complete game (come to net more?) and get even fitter!

Jakeev
Apr 6th, 2002, 10:58 PM
Ahhhh Tatiana Panova that is a great suggestion.....if they are fit enough to run around on court all day long there is no reason why they cannot sneak up to the net too.

TheBoiledEgg
Apr 6th, 2002, 11:01 PM
Tatiana wins tomorrow she is in Top 20

no one would ever have imagined Tatiana there this yr or ever.

and they way Anna Smashnova is going there could be 3 mighty midgets in the top 20 soon.

all this in the powet tennis age

-Sonic-
Apr 6th, 2002, 11:47 PM
maybe it'll turn a bit more like the mens...

people say how serve dominates, but hewitt and agassi etc are v strong returners... some v good returners are pushing their way up the ranks... maybe some more retrieval-esque players can get into it all with more net play or better returns? ? ? ?