PDA

View Full Version : Mitsubishi Lancer Manila Gr-2 Wednesday

jayakris
Apr 3rd, 2002, 09:03 PM
Gonzales waylays Briton, enters ITF q’finals
By Willie B. Caballes, Manila Bulletin

Fil-American Ruben Gonzales continued his giant-killing ways yesterday when he waylaid another world-ranked junior player to grab a quarterfinals berth in the 13th Mitsubishi Lancer International Juniors Tennis Championships at the sun-baked Rizal Memorial Tennis Center.

The 16-year-old Gonzales, who was born in Indiana after his parents migrated to the US nearly 20 years ago, bundled out Luke Campbell of Great Britain, 6-2, 7-6 (7-5), to arrange a match with fourth seed Liu Tai-wei of Taiwan, one of only two seeds in the running in this Group II championships.

Liu regained a second wind to boot out Marco Beeler of Switzerland, 7-5, 2-6, 6-1, and join No. 3 seed Chris Kwon of the USA, a 6-4, 6-3 winner over Swiss Dominic Stockler, in the next round.

They were joined by an array of upsetters — Australian Christophe Guccione, Thailand’s Sratha Saengsuwarn, Hong Kong’s Hui Cheuk-wai, Australian Robert Smeets, and Briton Craig Evans, who dumped top seed Go Soeda of Japan, 4-6, 7-5, 6-3, in the resumption of their first round match before pulling off a 7-6 (7-1), 4-6, 6-4 decision over Saurabh Singh of India in the afternoon.

With the sun directly over their heads, Gonzales and Campbell slugged it out with the Briton gaining a 2-0 lead at the start. Gonzales, however, won the next six games with the loss of only four points.

The second set went with serve in the first 12 games before Gonzales, ranked No. 1 in Indiana and the Midwest sector of the USTA’s 16 years and under list, raced to a 5-1 advantage in the tiebreak. A crisp passing shot gave Gonzales four match points at 6-2 and after missing out on the first three, the Fil-Am swooped down on a weak return to complete formally barge into the quarterfinals after one hour and 40 minutes of action.

“It was a tough match,” said Gonzales who is playing in his second ITF event in Asia. He lost on the second round in Thailand.

“He had a very good serve, especially in the second set. I just did my best out there and tries to win,” said the Fil-Am.

Gonzales made it a double victory when he teamed up with Yannick Guba later in the afternoon to bump off the Thailand pair of Anlavat Dalodom and Saengsuwarn, who withdrew from the match after absorbing a 6-3 drubbing in the first set as Dalodom fell prey to an upset stomach and the hot weather.

Gonzales’ twin win came before fourth pick Elise Tamaela of the Netherlands shoved out the last of the Filipinos in the girls’ singles event — Czarina Mae Arevalo — in three sets, 4-6, 6-3, 6-4.

But while Tamaela and top seed and defending champion Hsieh Su-wei of Taiwan thundered past their rivals, the distaff side also proved one killing ground for upsetters with Australian Dubravka Cupac landing the biggest fish — second seed Silvana Bauer of the Netherlands — in three sets, 4-6, 6-3, 6-3.

Indian Sanaa Bhambri then booted out seventh seed Beier Ko of Canada, 6-3, 6-2.—With report from Jean Malanum

============

That's the onlty newspaper report I have seen today, as Manila Times, Filippine Star, and Philippine Inquirer, etc, all skipped this event today in their sports pages.

Deccan Chronicle in India reported Sania Mirza beating Maya Rosa

Great work by 14 yr old Sanaa Bhambri to beat Szili and Ko back to back .. Wow! .. No news on 5th seed Sania and 6th seed Isha so far.

Others we know about:

#1 Su-Wei Hsieh d. Tiffany Welford 6-1 6-2
Chin-Wei Chan d. Olivia Lukaszewicz 6-3 6-4
Dubravka Cupac d. #2 Silvana Bauer, 4-6, 6-3, 6-3
Sanaa Bhambri d. #7 Beier Ko, 6-3, 6-2
#4 Elise Tamaela d. Czarina Mae Arevalo, 4-6, 6-3, 6-4.
#5 Sania Mirza vs Maya Rosa, 63 75

Anybody has the other two scores ?

#3 Zsuzsanna Babos vs Darya Ivano, ???
#6 Isha Lakhani vs Sandy Gumulya, ???

Jay

TheBoiledEgg
Apr 4th, 2002, 10:02 AM
Well done Dubravca ;) great stuff girl :)
Sania :)

too bad for Tiffany :( but was expected

I'm sure Zsuzsanna won

TS
Apr 4th, 2002, 01:22 PM
Congrats Dubravka ;)
Poor Tiffany :( :o

Now go Darya! ;)...but I doubt she will win that one.

p.s - I dont get the WTA eligibility rule...they restrict players like Su-Wei from playing tour events for fear of physical/mental burnout etc...but then they play all these junior events as well. That is why I am against the Age restriction rules. Kind of a contradiction in my eyes.

SM
Apr 4th, 2002, 02:58 PM
:( @ chin wei for austing two aussies...aussie killer :s