PDA

View Full Version : If and When Venus & Serena Obtain #1 & #2 Will This Cause A Rift In Their Fans?

TSequoia01
Apr 3rd, 2002, 07:04 PM
I was reading some posts on another tennis board and for the first time, noticed Serena fans versus Venus fans. Nothing really hostile, but is this just the beginning? Will fans be forced to choose?.........I wonder?

Hi Venus :wavey:

Hi Serena :wavey:

Hi Daniela "lil v" :wavey:

Beige
Apr 3rd, 2002, 07:07 PM
Not at all. All I'd see is a bunch of happy campers. :D

HAIL-VENUS
Apr 3rd, 2002, 07:09 PM
Well, Venus is my favorite player, and behind her is little sis' Serena. Though I would prefer Venus to be #1, I would be happy for Serena, if the rankings were reversed? #1 and #2, I mean. I was disappointed by Venus losing to Serena, but not to the point where I had mean things to say about Serena, or wished for her to lose in the finals. It's sort of funny, really. Serena's just about the only player on tour that can beat my fav and I still hope for her to win the tournament.:wavey:

joao
Apr 3rd, 2002, 07:10 PM
I'll make Hail-Venus' words mine!!!!

Volcana
Apr 3rd, 2002, 07:23 PM
Nah.

THe only possible negative is, once they are #1 and #2, we Willaims fans will so happy we'll be completely insufferable and they'll have to close the board down. :)

(Expect a lot of agreement about this possiblity.)

Bright Red
Apr 3rd, 2002, 07:26 PM
I agree with H-V 100%. Well said.

I think also that it depends on the fan. I would think that most fans of either sister like the other sister as well. I think that they themselves might have a hard time knowing whether or not they have a true preference one way or the other. That's how I would describe myself. I might feel awkward if Serena were to surpass Venus, but I would probably soon get over it, and I would never dislike Serena because of it.

From the few fans who have a strong preference for one of the sisters, or even dislike one but like the other, I think we'll see the intra-group rivalry.

Personally, the biggest thing that I dislike about the whole Venus vs. Serena is that one of them has to lose. I especially hate it if they are on the same side of the draw and end up meeting before the final, because then I almost require the victorious Sister to win the whole tournament in order for me to be consoled.

Once Serena reaches close to the top, we'll have a better idea. And yes, she'll get there.

RAA
Apr 3rd, 2002, 09:21 PM
it will be interesting to see. I think as long as the sisters themselves remain so close, there won't be much of a rift among fans. They are so united about both of them doing well that it would be hard to see a big rift. but i was surprised that there were a few posters who really wanted venus to beat serena at Nasdaq and were somewhat disappointed when she didn't. but it didn't cause any tension or anything.
ruth in philly pa usa

TSequoia01
Apr 3rd, 2002, 09:42 PM
ruth in philly pa usabut i was surprised that there were a few posters who really wanted venus to beat serena at Nasdaq and were somewhat disappointed when she didn't. but it didn't cause any tension or anthing.

What prompted this thread was a discussion as to what would happen in the future. Venus fans stated things would return to how they were before the Nasdaq. Serena fans felt that the momentum from Miami would propell her to #1.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Infiniti2001
Apr 3rd, 2002, 10:44 PM
Hail Venus echoed my sentiments ( I must confess that I really wanted to kick Serena's ass last Thusday <evil grin>). Anyway, seeing Venus in the stands cheering her on and the fact that she took the title home made me forgive her this time.. As long as she doesn't take defeating Venus as a habit/hobbie I will support her :P

Gumbycat
Apr 3rd, 2002, 11:09 PM
I love Venus and Serena equally. I wanted Serena to win at Nasdaq because her ranking was falling and Serena needed to get over the psychological barrier against Venus. And I'll be pulling for Serena at the next Grand Slam so she can get more Slams in her pocket.

moon
Apr 3rd, 2002, 11:52 PM
I completely agree with Infiniti. Seeing Venus happy and in the stands made me feel better about Rena. But if she were to continue to beat Venus on the regular, I might have a problem with that.:p

Buitenzorg
Apr 4th, 2002, 12:13 AM
It won't be happen........perhaps in your dream?????LOL

TSequoia01
Apr 4th, 2002, 12:17 AM
Hmmmmmm after reading some of these post ...there may be some validity to this thread. ;)

anton
Apr 4th, 2002, 01:27 AM
Serena is not going to number 1 or 2 until she plays more tournaments. She only has played 9 events in 52 weeks which is incredible that she is #7.

LucasArg
Apr 4th, 2002, 01:30 AM
I love both Venus and Serena. When they play each other, I prefer Venus to win, but I didn't feel bad about Venus loss in Miami, because I knew either Venus or Serena were gonna take the title.

I only feel bad when one of them loses to another player.;)

venusfan
Apr 4th, 2002, 01:33 AM
SO LONG AS THEY BOTH MAKE IT TO THE FINAL OF THE TOURNAMENTS I COULD CARE LESS WHO WINS.

CanadianBoy21
Apr 4th, 2002, 04:51 AM
When they are #1 #2, which they are already in my mind, but on the computer ranking, I believe fans of Venus & Serena would only be MORE united.
This would I believe be the ranking in a year or so
1. Venus
2. Serena
3. Jennifer
4. Kim
5. Monica
6. Amelie
7. Justine
8. Lindsay(she will still be recovering)
9. Martina Hingis
10. Who Knows.

TeeRexx
Apr 4th, 2002, 06:56 AM
That is the ultimate, long term goal of the Williams Tennis Association and their fans is for SERENA and VENUS to be ranked #1 and 2.

My first goal, however, is for the Williams to split the GS titles and dominate the other top ten players.

I am more used to seeing VENUS play, but it is usually less frustrating to watch SERENA play.

jomar
Apr 4th, 2002, 07:41 AM
it has been their goal since 1997, do u think it's about time.:rolleyes:

irma
Apr 4th, 2002, 07:51 AM
If Venus is number 1 and Serena in number 2 and Serena can't pass her then I will not start to say mean things about Venus.
afterall she is Serena`s rock:D

Williams Rulez
Apr 4th, 2002, 11:23 AM
Nah... they know how to put things into perspective... they know family is more important than tennis :)

joe
Apr 4th, 2002, 11:36 AM
Although Serena gets a slight edge in my books, I love them both and do not envisage any tension between fans of either sister or fans of both sisters. It just would not happen because it will be tasteless and uninteresting!!!!!

victory1
Apr 4th, 2002, 02:21 PM
I love them both equally, so it would be great knowing they would always be on the opposite side of the draw, that would be the only benefit of a 1 and 2 computer ranking.

Williams Rulez
Apr 4th, 2002, 02:34 PM
OMG... i was in a rush and I realised I was talking nonsense in my first post... :o

But I think not. There wouldn't be hating and all, cause most fans like both players, so no. :)

QueenO
Apr 4th, 2002, 04:15 PM
I love them both yet Venus is my fav. Serena is the only player that I can deal with Venus lossing to. We as fans of both of them have to happy for each one's success and in the end a Williams will win. :kiss: :)

TSequoia01
Apr 4th, 2002, 04:58 PM
I was reading other poster's views and realized that mine were not stated. I root for both Sisters. My impression of the sisters; Venus tougher while Serena a bit more talented. Love them both, but lately favoring Serena due to her relative lack of success. Venus has been quite dominating the last two years, while Serena has been underachieving. My wish is to have both sisters dominating the WTA! Whenever they meet in a match, may the sister playing the best that day, win.

Hi Daniela :wavey:

bmomomax
Apr 4th, 2002, 05:16 PM
I truly respect Venus and Serena, but believe that Venus is the better player now. When Serena won in Miami, I felt like the natural order of things had gone out of whack.

But will there be bad feelings or anything like that from me? Nah, I wish them both well ~ just let Venus be number 1 and Serena number 2. Then when Venus wants to retire, Serena can be number 1.

QUEENLINDSAY
Apr 4th, 2002, 08:21 PM
Dont worry, This is a very long and winding road before it happens.

Cross the bridge when you get there.

Infiniti2001
Apr 4th, 2002, 09:00 PM
Someone is very bitter. What nothing to look forward to ??? :rolleyes:

QUEENLINDSAY
Apr 4th, 2002, 10:50 PM
Someone is having ILLUSIONS!!!!!!!!!

Counting eggs while it hasnt been hatched.

GrandSlammed
Apr 4th, 2002, 10:57 PM
Someone is very bitter. What nothing to look forward to ???
Well.. maybe another knee surgery..

QUEENLINDSAY
Apr 4th, 2002, 11:04 PM
At least my fave does'nt need a FACE surgery unlike others fave.

Buitenzorg
Apr 4th, 2002, 11:30 PM
Below is the Real TOP 10 Player in WTA Tour 2002

01. Martina HINGIS
02. Monica SELES
03. Jennifer CAPRIATI
04. Kim CLIJSTERS
05. Justine HENIN
06. Jelena DOKIC
07. Amelie MAURESMO
08. Lindsay DAVENPORT (Still hasn't recovery from injury)
09. Venus WILLIAMS (Too Busy at School rather than Tennis)
10. Serena WILLIAMS (same things as her sister)

At Least some of my favourite player in TOP 10 Do Not want to showing their Boops in front of Tennis Public.......

TeeRexx
Apr 4th, 2002, 11:56 PM
Some things are too stupid to take seriously, so I will just laugh at them. ;) :p

TSequoia01
Apr 5th, 2002, 04:47 AM
Dang!, it would appear that Venus and Serena being #1 & #2 is causing a rift in other players fans. :) But when you consider that possible and likely outcome no wonder some fans have nightmares. All I can say to them is BAD DREAMS TO YOU!

Hi Daniela "lil v" :wavey:

"Topaz"
Apr 5th, 2002, 05:39 AM
Regardless of their rankings, as lond as these two girls are happy together, inseparable and best friends, their fans just can't go against one or the other. You would look silly to do so. My sense is that since Venus was the one playing most and the closest to #1, the Williams fans lined up behind her. But now, all bets are off, may the best sister win, and win it all.

At #1 and #2, if a rift develops between THEM, then you'll see some fans taking side.

selesfan
Apr 5th, 2002, 07:27 AM
Looks like you are the one who is dreaming Katulampa.:rolleyes:

Williams Rulez
Apr 5th, 2002, 12:36 PM
That's right selesfan...

A player so busy with school actually just schooled Martina 6-4 6-0 recently... :rolleyes:

And here he is putting her at the top of the 'real' rankings....:eek: