PDA

View Full Version : Acura sweetens the pot

Tratree
Apr 3rd, 2002, 06:03 PM
The Acura Classic has upped its total prize money to $775,000 this year. It has gone from $535,000 in 2000 to $750,000 in 2001 and now $775,000 this year. The champion will also receive a 2003 Acura type S luxury coupe.

http://image.genex.com/acura/00/types/types_cl/cls_popup2.jpg

Tennisace
Apr 3rd, 2002, 07:35 PM
Wow, this would make the Acura the most important and prestigious Tier II event! :D Which is well deserved since it always draws in the top players. One year I believe they had 28 of the Top 30! :eek:

Fingon
Apr 3rd, 2002, 08:02 PM
I think the Accura will be promoted to Tier 1 at some point

Jeff
Apr 3rd, 2002, 08:06 PM
That is great! I've been going there the last two years and the event always draws in the top players. It's a great event.

vw43
Apr 3rd, 2002, 08:15 PM
Now that Jen has a Ferrari, the Acura deal might not be as sweet..lol :D

ptkten
Apr 3rd, 2002, 09:22 PM
I agree, there should be two tier 1s in the summer hardcourt season leading up to the US Open, just like there are two red clay tier 1s leading up to the French. It just never made sense to me that there weren't two tier 1 hardcourt events in the summer, but I don't think that it will happen because it doesn't look like any of the other events are looking to give up their tier 1 status, especially not the existing american hardcourt ones, which would make a more logical switch.

VSFan1 aka Joshua L.
Apr 3rd, 2002, 11:29 PM
The best Tier II on the planet! :)

maccardel
Apr 4th, 2002, 01:10 AM
I think Pilot Pen should be a tier I. It have most of the top ten players.

treufreund
Apr 4th, 2002, 02:04 AM
The tour is already dominated by hard court events whether or not they are warmups or when they come in the season. If anything the championships should be on clay every 3 years because as it is there are two hardcourt grand slams and a hard court championship plus the "fifth grand slam" (the Nasdaq), plus Indian Wells, Canadian Open and numerous tier II's. Also some of the indoor courts are hardcourt I believe. Some would say that rebound ace is not hard court but from everything I have read it is a hard court just not the same as American hardcourts. Just my two cents.

Williams Rulez
Apr 4th, 2002, 07:38 AM
This is great!! Venus is gonna have more money to spend again... :D

OMG... Venus will claim her 3rd straight Acura in 3 years!! :eek: :eek: