PDA

View Full Version : What's eating ASV??? Que the fat lady.

supremeross
Apr 3rd, 2002, 03:32 PM
And yet again ASV gets bounced in the first round of a tourney, but on clay this time around. She skipped the Porto tourney, that she won last year, and gave up 180 points just to lose in the first round of a tier IV. ON CLAY, her alleged specialty surface. Does any one know what going on with her or is it really just a case of staying at the party too long? I don't think she'll be much of a threat of again this year on clay either.

Que the fat lady please.

TS
Apr 3rd, 2002, 03:35 PM
She just got beat by a player who is in great form ;)

Arantxa is a fighter. Dont count her out.

SM
Apr 3rd, 2002, 03:40 PM
well she's erratc...but its still good to see her out there even if the results have been less than stellar in 2k2...besides this was on green clay which is relatively faster and the player she lost to is no slouch! come the red clay season and Roland Garros and you'll likely see a turn around...

JasonW
Apr 3rd, 2002, 03:53 PM
I think Arantxa WILL have a great Claycourt season. I also think that Arantxa will make Amelia Island a great tournament. She loves Amelia, and will play well there. We just have to have patience, and I will talk with her at Amelia, Which I did last year, right before she beat Hingis, I'm good luck for her.

Gallofa
Apr 3rd, 2002, 04:08 PM
Hey supremeross, you again with your fat lady friend? :D

This is how you see Arantxa is a special lady, even with people who get a kick out of seeing her lose... in the end, we get to talk about Opera :D

I was wondering, since you seem to be dragging that fat lady around waiting for all Arantxa's defeats, could you please ask her to sing Madame Butterfly by Puccini? it's rather soothing, it might be good for you :p and I can enjoy the singing all the times when Arantxa wins and you don't get to post a thread about your fatty friend, gotta love big women ;) :D

supremeross
Apr 3rd, 2002, 04:31 PM
Gallofa- Are you not wondering also whats going on with ASV's tennis game? How could any fan of tennis not wonder if the end is getting near for ASV, I bet the other players on tour certainly are (not to mention love seeing her in their bracket ;) ).

Mark43
Apr 3rd, 2002, 04:58 PM
When I saw yet another first round loss yesterday I was surprised. I had just looked at the weekly rankings and I noticed ASV had played 27 tournaments. That is at least 10 more than all the other women ranked in the top 10 (save for Clijsters, Henin and Dokic, who are all teenagers). I think this is ASV problem..overkill. She has been losing in the early rounds of singles but she usually gets a lot further in doubles. I think just the fact that she is never at home, never gets a break, must be exhausting.

Maybe she could benefit from playing a more limited schedule. Evert, Navratilova and Graf always did in their later years. Seles has up until now.

Who knows, maybe she loves being on the road. Only ASV knows the answers.

I really hope she does have a great clay season. Her win over Hingis last year was a lot of fun to watch.

Beat
Apr 3rd, 2002, 05:34 PM
how old is she? surely about 30, no? so really, why doesn't she retire while it's still not too late. she had a great career, so she should stop now. she will never be able to compete with the best again, so what's the point?

E. Blackadder
Apr 3rd, 2002, 05:45 PM
I think she still enjoys playing, so let her play for god sake!

Rollo
Apr 3rd, 2002, 06:22 PM
LOl@Gallofa:)

I'm not writing Arantxcha off, but mark has a good point. She's always overplayed IMO-and at her age it starts to catch up with you. Amanda Coetxer is another example in that regard.

BTW I read somewhere that ASV dropped out of Rome. This was BEFORE her loss, so maybe sometrhing is up.

JasonW
Apr 3rd, 2002, 06:32 PM
I'm sure we all remember a player by the name of Nathalie Tauziat, When did she reach her peak ranking? Was it 32 or was it 33...Slips my mind. But She reached number 3 and some big wins on the way. Arantxa would not like the way some of y'all GIVE UP on her. She doesn't give up on her fans. So don't give up on her. Btw, The fat lady is a horrible singer.

Julian
Apr 3rd, 2002, 07:58 PM
Arantxa is not over yet..she has just been up and down this season...she won Hopman Cup and after that hasn't won a match until Indian Wells 3 weeks ago! She beat 3 great players there and lost to an in-form Monica Seles in 3 tough sets! She also reached the Round of 16 in Miami...but yesterday she lost to a hot player who I think ANYONE could have lost 2 espeically on clay (Janette Husarova). But as said, she has been travelling way 2 much yet she has done excetionally well in doubles (at least reaching past the QF in every tournament, except in Miami)...but just wait until she gets on red clay and you will see Arantxa come back as she always does! :)

-Sonic-
Apr 3rd, 2002, 08:44 PM
Last year she went from Miami to Porto and then back to Florida, people were saying how weird that was, at least she's staying in the area this year :)

Good luck to the "older" players for the clay season, which seems to be their best (e.g. Amanda, Conchita, Aranxta) - the clay will miss you in a few years time after you hang up your tennis gear.

DEETHELICK
Apr 3rd, 2002, 09:42 PM
I too was slightly surprised at Arantxas loss, but she lost to someone who is in-form and seems to be a nemesis of hers (eg Dokic-Kremer)

I too was looking at her schedule and hopefully she can calm down and rest herself! From RG to US Open she has hardly any points to defend so if she gets her rhythmn, well who knows....

She obviously wants to play (although I think she shouldnt play so much) so good luck to her!

Vamos Arantxa....hopefully next week onwards will be good for ya! :)

Kart
Apr 5th, 2002, 09:07 PM
supremeross you just love this topic don't you ;) ???

I previously made my opinion clear the last time - and watching ASV's performance against Monica I still think that she's got a lot of good matches left in her should she choose to play them :).

Also, when she does retire, she'll need a true diva to sing her out and Miss Ross is anything but fat so I'll wait for the thin lady to sing :).

Tatiana Panova
Apr 6th, 2002, 02:24 PM
Arantxa's only problem over the last year or so has been her forehand. It is dreadful at times. She just needs to work on this I think.

ajayares
Apr 6th, 2002, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by supremeross
She skipped the Porto tourney, that she won last year, and gave up 180 points just to lose in the first round of a tier IV.

Now just tell me what tier porto was again???
ummm try tier 4, BTW what ever event she played she would have had a hard time defending all of her 180 points.. as the points for tier 4 events have fallen from 140 for winning to 97 this year...