PDA

View Full Version : Kournikova's Crisis Deepens

apoet29
Apr 3rd, 2002, 03:16 PM
Hey guys, I found this on BBC Sport. Make of it what you will.

Kournikova's crisis deepens

Kournikova has made millions through endorsements

By BBC Sport Online's Tom Fordyce
March was an instructive month in the life of Anna Kournikova.

Away from tennis, her starring role in the video of Enrique Iglesias's 'Escape' helped the single to number one in the British charts.

On-court, she was beaten in the first round of the Masters in Miami by the unheralded Eleni Daniilidou.

Hingis v Kournikova
Ranking: 3rd/66th
Singles titles: 40/0
Grand Slam titles: 5/0
On-court earnings: £11.6m/£2m

Now, as April gets underway, one of her main sponsors has warned that her on-court form must improve if she is to keep her current lucrative endorsement deal.

"More sporting success is vital if she is to be taken seriously as an athlete," said adidas chief executive Herbert Hainer.

"She will have to train harder and then attack to hopefully win her first tournament."

And there's the trouble. It's very hard taking seriously a player who has yet to win a single tour event in over 100 attempts.

Kournikova's form has been poor once again this spring

Yet the level of the 20-year-old's off-court earnings suggests a talent on par with that of Tiger Woods or Kobe Bryant.

Kournikova is in many ways the archetypal 21st century sportswoman, a triumph of hype over achievement.

She was arguably the first sporting star of the internet age, her name being one of the most frequently requested words in search engines.

Most British fans have seen far more of her on the hundreds of fansites on the web that at Wimbledon, where she has failed to make any sort of impact since reaching the semi-finals in 1997.

Last summer her adverts for Berlei sports bras were plastered across billboards throughout the UK, giving her a profile bigger than that of any other player.

Dumped out

But she didn't even make it as far as the first round at the All England Club - a stress fracture of the foot keeping her out.

It was the same story in 2000. While Forbes Magazine named her 58th in their Power 100 Fame and Fortune list, the only female athlete in the top 100, she was dumped out of Wimbledon in the second round.

Kournikova says her training makes her too masculine

Is this the sort of form that justifies endorsements worth £7.5m that year?

Kournikova's only successes have come in doubles events. She has twice won the Australian Open title, both times with Martina Hingis.

Hingis provides an interesting counterpoint to Kournikova's crisis.

As a player, the Swiss is undoubtedly superior - her five Grand Slam singles titles dwarfing the Russian's achievements.

But both are threatening to be swept away by the new breed in women's tennis, the players whose game revolves around brute power rather than prettiness.

Hingis has not won a Grand Slam since Venus and Serena Williams hit their peaks and Jennifer Capriati returned from the wilderness.

For all her stroke-playing talents, she does not have the weight of shot to compete with the Americans at their best.

Kournikova has failed to win a tournament in over 100 attempts

Kournikova lacks both the subtlety of her doubles partner and the strength of the others.

Does she realise? Probably. Is she prepared to so anything about it? Doubtful.

"I hate my muscles," she said recently.

"I don't want to look like they [Venus and Serena] do. I'm not masculine like they are."

It's an attitude that may eventually cost her dear. Does Marion Jones complain that the weights programme that took her to Olympic and world championship success made her look too beefy?

Does Inge de Bruijn moan that the shoulders which powered her to Olympic swimming gold are too big?

Bond girl?

There is also the question of how long simply being blonde and attractive can keep the sponsors happy.

Venus and Serena embody a different kind of beauty, yet sponsors are falling over themselves to be associated with them.

Does Tiger Woods suffer for not being blond and blue-eyed? Of course not.

Kournikova is rumoured to be making an appearance in the new James Bond film.

It would be a rather appropriate role.

The story of a good-looking star whose physical charms often see them through difficult situations might be written for Anna.

She'll be making only a cameo in the movie. A starring role in the future of women's tennis is another matter entirely

TS
Apr 3rd, 2002, 03:21 PM
Another "lets kick them while they're down story".

vw43
Apr 3rd, 2002, 03:23 PM
I am not a huge fan of Kournikova but I do wish she'd win a tournament to shut the press up...Her beauty has earned her a lot of endorsements but a lot of criticism as well.

Bright Red
Apr 3rd, 2002, 03:34 PM
Thanks for posting the article, apoet.

I think it's a good idea for sponsors to require more of her, because IMO, Anna's a joke. I hate that she's rewarded just for her looks (which aren't great in absolute terms). Other tennis players work so much harder to eek out a fraction of what she makes. *sigh*.

No one's all of a sudden kicking Anna while she's down. With a 100+ losing streak, she's been down the whole time. And from the looks of it, she's willingly lain down out of laziness.

Time to wake up dear little Anna. If you want it, you're going to have to work for it.

SM
Apr 3rd, 2002, 03:36 PM
i agree for the most part on this article...its refreshingly frank about everything...if anna wants that endorsement deal its only fair that she earns it

supremeross
Apr 3rd, 2002, 03:38 PM
If those quotes of Anna are true and accurate than Anna is getting exactly what she deserves on the court... nothing. And is that a veiled threat from Adidas of perhaps dropping her? I'm sure Nike or some other big company will snatch her up, but obviously she's not serious and committed to doing what it takes to get her game back on course and up a couple of levels to make her much of a threat or even competitive against the top players for that fact.

brickhousesupporter
Apr 3rd, 2002, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by Bright Red
Thanks for posting the article, apoet.

I think it's a good idea for sponsors to require more of her, because IMO, Anna's a joke. I hate that she's rewarded just for her looks (which aren't great in absolute terms). Other tennis players work so much harder to eek out a fraction of what she makes. *sigh*.

No one's all of a sudden kicking Anna while she's down. With a 100+ losing streak, she's been down the whole time. And from the looks of it, she's willingly lain down out of laziness.

Time to wake up dear little Anna. If you want it, you're going to have to work for it.

Bright Red,
I could not agree more. It is time to have some substance behind all the hype. If she is trully an athlete, she should be willing to make the necessary steps to get there. Look at Hingis, while she is still slight in stature when compared to the Williams and Capriati, it is obvious that she is spending more time in the gym getting a litle more buff. This was never more obvious than at the Australian Open.

From this article it seems as though she considers herself first a beauty queen and a tennis player second. I am not saying go out and get the muscles of Serena, who has such a curvacious body that she can pull it off, but a little time in the gym will not hurt the old serve and groundstrokes.

irma
Apr 3rd, 2002, 03:45 PM
well Anna is not the first player who says I hate my muscles like the reporter tries to make us believe , it only didn't stop the others from practising and working hard, there should be a middle in but anna makes it likes she doesn't do anything anymore because she want's to be female. in that case I rather say retire and give you centrecourt place to player who deserve it and want to do something for it!

Volcana
Apr 3rd, 2002, 03:50 PM
First off, the story's fair.

Second, if you're more worried about looks than performance, you aren't a professional, you're dilletante. She'll either pump up, or watch those endorsement dollars fade. When the chief executive of adidas says you have to start winning or he's gonna stop paying you, it's time to wake up.

ys
Apr 3rd, 2002, 03:52 PM
She has a point, I would udnerstand a woman that would hate to look more masculine. It is very natural. Unfortunately, WTA tennis was drawn by certain individuals into becoming a sport of masculine women.. That's somewhat regretful..

Mazza
Apr 3rd, 2002, 04:05 PM
I think that Adidas has made a good move and prahaps Anna will start to put some effort into tennis and not into poncing around on videos and photoshoots which seems to be her main love at the moment...

Jetta
Apr 3rd, 2002, 04:09 PM
Yeah. I see what Adidas doing is to help motivate Anna to play better tennis. But really, does she need so much money from Adidas anyways? She has lots of other endorsement contracts already :confused:

irma
Apr 3rd, 2002, 04:13 PM
like somebody said when adidas drops anna she will have a new sponsor in 5 minutes, so I doubt it will work!

TSequoia01
Apr 3rd, 2002, 04:17 PM
Anna is a pitiful case. Read her comments and they are just excuses. She makes it seem that choices are there for her to make. There really are none, she's just not as good or talented as other players period. I remember back in 98 and 99, she was rated every bit as good as Venus. When they played there was much hype. Now 3 or 4 years later she still has not even won a tourney, not to mention a slam. People have the nerve to say the Sisters are not dedicated to their sport, when Anna is the poster child. It is not her fault they gave her the money nor do I expect her to give it back. Just quit pretending to be a tennis player. :cool:

Hi Venus :wavey:

Hi Serena :wavey:

Hi Daniela "lil v" :wavey:

Infiniti2001
Apr 3rd, 2002, 04:19 PM
There's no need to bite the writer's head off-He's right on point in my not so humble opinion...
I'm actually surprised it took this long to hear from the TIIC at addidas. What other sporting company pays someone simply for their looks?? Maybe Anna should try endorsing beauty products in the future, then again she may not feel secure--- because as beautiful as Cindy Crawford is, she was dumped by Revelon for being too old... There's always another new face .

P.S. There is nothing wrong with masculine looking women. Case in point Serena Williams--- Her body is so well proportioned. I don't want arms as big as hers, but I'll kill for her wasit and stomach :P

Pureracket
Apr 3rd, 2002, 04:28 PM
I guess it depends on what your definition of what "masculine" is. It seems that women are less encouraged to do things that are athletic, assertive, and aggressive when it comes to self-empowerment - especially regarding their own bodies. Men are definitely not put under the same scrutiny

It's no wonder that AK has not develped more in tennis. She's obviously concerned about her muscular appearance during her photo sessions. I wouldn't be surprised if there weren't a former #1 who is caught up in the same concept.

anastasjoy
Apr 3rd, 2002, 05:59 PM
The quotes don't sound authentic to me. I don't remember Anna complaining about developing muscles before. And since the writer inserted (Venus and Serena) in parentheses, it's hard to tell if that's really what Anna meant. If she did, she hasn't taken a good look at Venus lately. Venus has the body of a high fashion model; Anna doesn't. And neither Venus nor Serena is remotely masculine. Personally, I think this article is another attempt to stoke artificial controversy. Clearly, if Anna does not work her way back up the rankings and win something eventually, her marketing will fall off. She's never said anything to indicate she isn't trying to do that- I think they're attributing Hingis's remarks about working out to Anna because Anna is known as a hard worker in the gym. She's very muscular and I seriously doubt she "hates" her muscles since she probably doesn't hear too many negative things about her body the way it is!

joao
Apr 3rd, 2002, 06:28 PM
Well I say......it's about time!!!! I really don't understand why they have been sponsoring her for so long now! Adidas' reputation as a brand associated with sports and successful athletes is at stake here!!!!! Let Kournikova reprersent what she really should be representing....

But unfortunately, I don't think this will affect whatsoever Kournikova's performance on court !!!! I agree that she will probably have millions of sponsors knocking at her door the day Adidas really dumps her ..... which BTW is not certain at all !!!

veryborednow
Apr 3rd, 2002, 06:35 PM
I know this is seeping into the muscles/masculinity thread - but I regard Cappy, Williams, Kim, Monica as beautiful people.

They're in such good shape - yes they aren't super models but that's not what their being paid for, is it?

Anna can't be both - and will have to pick, or she wont have and will be regarded as the worst most famous sports stars in the history in sport.

ptkten
Apr 3rd, 2002, 06:36 PM
Everyone here is so ridiculous...those comments are from a while ago. Anyway, i really don't care if adidas wants to sponsor her or not, it's their loss. She was a top 10 player and will be within a year or two. Nike wouldn't drop Pierce, Reebok wouldn't drop Arantxa just because they slipped for a little bit.

apoet29
Apr 3rd, 2002, 06:47 PM
if Adidas is so unhappy with Anna's level of player (which admittedly has been very poor in her last three tournaments), why did they shoot a new commercial with her? The Coolclime commercial was just recently shot and released and has been played quite a bit on ESPN and Comedy Central. It just doesn't make sense to me.

Commercial endorsements aside, I would rather see Anna win a tournament, any tournament, then have commercial endorsement deals. At the end of her career, that title[s] will mean more to her then an endorsement deal.

Master Lu
Apr 3rd, 2002, 06:50 PM
Well, I guess I agree to a point with the article, but I have to disagree with some of the comments.

First of all, Anna is an ex top 10 player. Now in my book, considering there's around 6 billion people on this planet. that's ONE HECK OF A TALENT. And don't even start on weak field, or rankings or anything like that. Now what she chooses to do with that talent is her CHOICE. Yes she does have a choice. It's her body, her fame and HER MONEY, and she can do with it whatever she chooses, not what her fans, or add companies think she should. She will feel the consequences of her decisions either way, but saying she has no choice is well, nevermind...

Infiniti2001
Apr 3rd, 2002, 06:52 PM
Anna can't be both - and will have to pick, or she wont have and will be regarded as the worst most famous sports stars in the history in sport.

Anna can't be a model, not with her height, her face and her current body. She'd need to drop 25 pounds in which case she couldn't play tennis anymore--- and face it, she's famous becuse she's a TENNIS babe, not because she's a babe :P

gogetter
Apr 3rd, 2002, 07:02 PM
I think Anna thought that she could come back from injury, and that by just playing in a lot of tournaments, she could get back to form. That clearly hasn't happened, so she does need to get more serious and try something different.

For Anna, the decision to be serious about tennis is a different issue than just building muscles, etc. She must first have the attitude and commitment to tennis, and then out of that be willing to do what it takes to achieve. If that means hiring a coach, if that means building muscles... so be it. But the most important thing is having the commitment to make tennis as her #1 priority.

Volcana
Apr 3rd, 2002, 07:50 PM
apoet29 - Thanks for inspiring my 'Muscles and Femininity' thread. The responses have been very enlightening.

As for Anna, IMHO, she's stubborn. She doesn't feel she need to do anything besides what she's doing. And maybe she's right. If she wins Wimbledon, I'll be a month just getting my foot out of my mouth. But if her career ends and she really doesn't even win a Tier V, that' going to be her epitaph. 'The star-athlete who couldn't win.'

Given a choice, I'd rather see her win .. no. I couldn't face 'All Anna, All the Time'. She can win Moscow, Zurich and Toronto. No GS title. We'd NEVER, I mean NEVER here the end of it. Not Anna's fault, but the media just can't control their hormones.

Dawn Marie
Apr 3rd, 2002, 07:56 PM
Anna toughest opponents are Maria Sharapova, Dinara Safina, and Lina Krasnourskya. These girls are young blonde and fit the same profile that Anna fits. Imho if they start winning tourneys ,this could not bode well for Anna K.

Nice article Apoet and I agree with it.

note: Venus and Serena have a 11/0 winning record over her, so maybe it is she who needs to e-evaluate her fitness. It's not like se is going to bulk up much, cause her body type is not big anyhow. Venus is a built but still looks very feminine. Serena nd Jennifer as well. Even Hingis is a bit muscular and still looks feminine. Anna is just GONE.:)

Snoopy91
Apr 3rd, 2002, 11:05 PM
Even though I am a huge Anna fan, I agree with most of what the article says, and also with the majority of replies. Hopefully (assuming the article is accurate in its quotes, sources, etc.) this will be a wake-up call for Anna. She has so much potential, and right now it is just going to waste. It's actually quite sad.

There was one response however that really angered me. Infiniti mentioned that Anna could never be a model because of her body and the fact that she would have to lose 25 pounds. Please! Anna is 5'8" and weighs 125 pounds. (I saw her in person recently, and trust me, she is tiny.) To say she needs to lose 25 pounds is ridiculous. That would make her 100 pounds, and for her a person of her height, that would be absolutely disgusting. With attitudes like that, it is no wonder that eating disorders are running rampant in our society and 5 year olds are being treated for anorexia. Anna's body is perfectly fine. She has muscle tone, but not so much that she resembles a man, and she certainly is not one pound overweight. If anything, she is underweight for her height. So please, you don't have to think she is beautiful, but don't say she needs to lose weight.

I apologize if this seems harsh, but I am especially sensitive to people commenting on the weights of those who obviously do not need to lose a pound because I have battled anorexia for 3 years now. This is not something I'm ashamed of, but it has made me sensitive to comments regarding weight, especially when someone says that a person with the body of Anna needs to lose 25 pounds!! :rolleyes: I know this post is somewhat of a digression from the original topic, and I apologize for that, but I felt I had to share my opinion.

Infiniti2001
Apr 3rd, 2002, 11:35 PM
Chill Snoopy!!! I'm sorry about your situation, but this has NOTHING to do with my statements... All I meant was that in order for Anna to be a model, she would have to lose some weight. Have you seen the sizes and heights of women/girls on the runways lately??? :eek: :rolleyes:

anastasjoy
Apr 3rd, 2002, 11:37 PM
Sorry about your anorexia, snoopy, but you need to blame not posters here for pointing out the realities of the fashion industry but the fashion industry for espousing such extreme standards. Many designers don't make clothews higher than size 12- and then wonder why they don't sell more! 5'8" and 100 pounds would make Anna---- Kate Moss! I personally doubt Anna is 125 pounds; she's extremely muscular. And I think a lot of other players are fudging their weights too. Why? Again, blame the unrealistic standards of the fashion industry. They have all kind of excuses but the truth is, they ARE that stringent and Anna would never pass muster as she is now (even if she had the correct facial type, which she doesn't). A men's magazine model yes; fashion- no way, jose.

Cybelle Darkholme
Apr 3rd, 2002, 11:40 PM
She doesnt have the height to be a model. Seriously, do you think if she wasn't a tennis player that she would have all these endorsements? Yes she is beautiful, but so are millions of other girls who don't model (because they are too short or not thin enough) and who don't get endorsements.

Really, until the girl comes back to form I'm sick of hearing about her. Her results suck! Yes she was a top ten player, but not any more. When she finally decides to get serious about her tennis again maybe I'll give her a look.

Ryan
Apr 3rd, 2002, 11:46 PM
Anna is to ostubborn for one. She needs to accept the fact that if she EVER wants to win a title, she needs to bulk up! And not even get all muscly, but get in better shape and tone her muscles more. You can 'bulk up' without looking like She-Hulk.

Crazy Canuck
Apr 4th, 2002, 12:01 AM
I feel kind of bad for her in some respects.

For example, my freinds, who dont' watch tennis, have often refered to her as the "hot tennis player who sucks". Which I try and correct them on, and point out she certaintly doesn't suck by any means. But if thats how the general public looks at you, I can't imagine that would bode well for the self esteem? THen again maybe she looks at her millions of dollars, and those who are close to her and doesn't care what the general public thinks. If thats the case, then good for her - I'm not sure I'd be strong enough to do that.

As for what Infiniti said about Anna needing to lose weight to model - its true. MOST models have several inches on Anna, and less weight. They aren't healthy, they look terrible - hell, IMO its a compliment to say she couldn't be a runway model.

I'm not sure if the comments about her no wanting muscles cause she'll look masculine are true or not (I hadn't seen them before) - but IF they are its an unfortunate stereotype that she is caving into. That women have to look and act a certain way, or they won't be percieved as feminine. That attitude belonged in the 1950's, NOT in 2002. I'm sorry to hear it being reflected by such a big name, whom some people look up to.

WOmen should not be made to feel they have to look a certain way or there is something wrong with them - thats where eating disorders and tons of other problems start.

Snoopy91
Apr 4th, 2002, 12:33 AM
Wonderful post, Becca. You summed everything up perfectly. I would also like to apologize to Infiniti for my rather harsh response to the comment regarding Anna's weight. I realize that it wasn't your opinion, you were simply stating a sad fact about the reality of modeling. I over-reacted because as I said I am somewhat touchy regarding weight, and once again I sincerely apologize. In truth, what angered me is that your statement is the truth, and it's just so sad that we live in a world that accepts it. The only consolation is that all of the males I know would take a woman with a body like Anna's over a woman with a body like Kate Moss' any day. Again, I'm sorry if I offended anyone.

Celeste
Apr 4th, 2002, 12:36 AM
At this point, she's a bona fide celebrity on her own. Just look at when she enters a tournament, it's a her, her, her. Remember when she got tossed in the first round (I think) at the Australian Open. She was featured for DAYS after that as the lead story on the webpage, visiting the zoo and all. You'd think she was the No. 1 seed! I don't think her endorsement dollars are going anywhere, this is just a tennis writer who's mad she's made it so big with no titles. She won't keep getting tossed in the first or second round either, her ranking is creeping up, she'll be Top 30 at least by the end of the year. Just watch!

Martian Martin
Apr 4th, 2002, 12:49 AM
Well first of all I don't know why they are comparing her with Martina in terms of titles, prize money, that part is nonsense.

The manager is showing his obvious knowledge about Anna's game when he says she needs to train more, which is a bunch of crap, when it's well known that Anna practices a lot off court, and that was one of the things that contributed to her foot injury last year, she over did things. The article is critical of her performances at Wimbledon since reaching the semis in 97, well she was injured for two of these years, she was knocked out by Venus in the 4th round in 99 and it's not as if many players have been able to beat Venus at Wimbledon, although the 2000 loss was a bad one against Sidot.

The fact is, even if Anna wanted to, she couldn't develop muscles like what say Serena and Jennifer have, it just isn't possible, it's the same with Martina. Articles like this have no point, because it's unfair on Anna because she had that injury, and if the injury last year hadn't happened, she'd be still in the top 10 just now and would have won a title or two. Her problem just now is confidence as much as anything, which can only be expected after things like being stuck in a wheelchair for 3 months during the injury which people conviently forget. If her results are still terrible at the end of the year, and she is still ranked 60 or so, then fine, she does deserve criticism. But at the moment she stands at 13 in the this year's rankings, and people, me included have said she hasn't had a great year so far, she's ahead of players like Dementieva, Coetzer, Arantxa, the list could go on.

Judge Anna at the end of this year, not before.

essielewis
Apr 4th, 2002, 12:51 AM
I'm sure Nike or some other big company will snatch her up,

I seriously doubt Nike would pick up her. Why would they?:p Nike doesn't need a loser like Anna and neither does Reebok.:rolleyes:

That interview shows Anna to be a stubborn, lazy young woman who apparently has too much money and doesn't see a need to really excell in her chosen sport. She will go down in tennis history as a joke.:o I don't think she has brains enough to be embarrassed about it.:rolleyes:

By the way, Steffi Graf said, often, that she hated her muscles but that didn't keep her from training and becoming the greatest ever.:kiss: Now that she's retired she has trimmed her body and is more sleek than muscular. Maybe Ms. K should think about following that example.;)

Infiniti2001
Apr 4th, 2002, 12:53 AM
No problemo Snoopy :wavey:

Cybelle Darkholme
Apr 4th, 2002, 01:02 AM
Of course anna can develop muscles! Haven't you seen those skinny twerpy guys getting beat up at high school then join the wrestling team, football team, or gym and turn into musclebound hotties? I have.

Anna is very much capable of weight training and increasing her strength, endurance, and fitness any physical therapist and sports trainer will tell you that.

apoet29
Apr 4th, 2002, 03:32 AM
Originally posted by Martin
Well first of all I don't know why they are comparing her with Martina in terms of titles, prize money, that part is nonsense.

The manager is showing his obvious knowledge about Anna's game when he says she needs to train more, which is a bunch of crap, when it's well known that Anna practices a lot off court, and that was one of the things that contributed to her foot injury last year, she over did things. The article is critical of her performances at Wimbledon since reaching the semis in 97, well she was injured for two of these years, she was knocked out by Venus in the 4th round in 99 and it's not as if many players have been able to beat Venus at Wimbledon, although the 2000 loss was a bad one against Sidot.

The fact is, even if Anna wanted to, she couldn't develop muscles like what say Serena and Jennifer have, it just isn't possible, it's the same with Martina. Articles like this have no point, because it's unfair on Anna because she had that injury, and if the injury last year hadn't happened, she'd be still in the top 10 just now and would have won a title or two. Her problem just now is confidence as much as anything, which can only be expected after things like being stuck in a wheelchair for 3 months during the injury which people conviently forget. If her results are still terrible at the end of the year, and she is still ranked 60 or so, then fine, she does deserve criticism. But at the moment she stands at 13 in the this year's rankings, and people, me included have said she hasn't had a great year so far, she's ahead of players like Dementieva, Coetzer, Arantxa, the list could go on.

Judge Anna at the end of this year, not before.

Great post Martin and I agree with you to a certain degree. However, it is hard to say what Anna would have done last year if she had not gotten injured. She may have won a title or two or she may have had the year she had in 2000. Good results and one final. Even in 2000 when she was in the top 10/20 and full of confidence, Anna still was unable to break through that mental barrier that was preventing her from winning a tournament. Now that she is ranked so low and without a coach, I would venture that her confidence is at an all time low.

Yes, Anna did have a terrible injury that hurt her return last fall, but she has played 10 tournaments this year, reaching the semifinals of three tournaments, played six exhibition matches leading into the season, winning one doubles championships and reaching the doubles finals at the Adidas. Anna has had plenty of time to come back and reach some sort of form. There are no excuses left to be made for her. Her last three losses (Strebonik, Osterloh and Daniidilou--Great players all) are unacceptable for a player of her caliber. No one is forgetting her injury at all. Many press reports concerning her acknowledge it, but most people feel that Anna has had enough time to figure out her form.

Anna is currently 66th in the world rankings and 13th in the Chase race. Most of those points come from the fact that Anna has played so many tournaments this year. I think Anna needs to win a title (even a small event this year), get some good results at slams and make the Chase for this year to be considered a success for her.

I don't think Anna needs to bulk up at all. She is a very fit athlete and her genetic makeup predisposes her to be a certain height and weight. In fact, if Anna is 125lbs, she is quite thin for her height, so I object to the idea that Anna would need to lose weight to be a model. Look at Gisele, Cindy C., etc. These girls are a very healthy weight and I think are good role models for young women of that size and height. Besides bulkiness would only slow Anna down and speed is one of her greatest assets. What Anna needs to work on is creating a game plan and having tactical awareness of her opponents strengths and weaknesses.

Anyway, thanks to everyone for responding to this thread.

apoet29
Apr 4th, 2002, 04:25 AM
Despite a recent published report, Anna Kournikova is not being threatened by a top sponsor to win or face a pay cut, according to an official at Octagon, which represents the Russian tennis player.

On Tuesday, the London Sun reported that adidas, which signed Kournikova in 1996, would lower the value of her contract if she didn't start winning. She has yet to win a singles title in 101 WTA tournaments.

"She will have to train harder and hopefully win her first tournament," Herbert Hainer reportedly said in the article in which the headline read 'Win or take paycut, Anna.' "More sporting success is vital for her to be taken seriously."

But Octagon spokesman David Schwab said the comment was taken out of context and the quote came from an interview from last September with the German weekly tabloid Bild am Sonntag.

"The article that appeared in a couple of this morning's papers claiming Anna Kournikova has been warned to play better by adidas is simply not true," said Jon Deacon of adidas in a statement. "Anna Kournikova is a top symbol and important partner for adidas."

The story's authors, nor the sports editor for the Sun, could not be reached for comment Wednesday afternoon.

Two weeks ago, Octagon president of athlete representation Phil de Picciotto told ESPN.com that fan and corporate interest in Kournikova, who reportedly makes between $10 milllion and $15 million a year, "continues to be unparalled."

Darren Rovell, who covers sports business for ESPN.com, can be reached at darren.rovell@espn.com.

ajayares
Apr 4th, 2002, 04:35 AM
Originally posted by apoet29

Anna is currently 66th in the world rankings and 13th in the Chase race. Most of those points come from the fact that Anna has played so many tournaments this year. I think Anna needs to win a title (even a small event this year), get some good results at slams and make the Chase for this year to be considered a success for her.

Now I am not going to get into this article becuase it is just a rehash of the Bild Article 5days ago and the same trash that appeared in the Sun yesterday.. But I would like to make a point on the above quote...

Now I don't think it matters how many events she has played this year.. every other player has had the opportunity to play the same #.. and since only the best 17 count towards your year end ranking it shouldn't be an issue...
She is 13th on pts this (482 pts) and as we all know she has had 3 1st Rd loses so basically you can say she has 478pts from 7 events..

The Fact is, that her ranking is not going to be much higher than it currently is, even if she played better in the previous 2 events, for the simple reason the Ranking system is a 52 week system and when you have only played one event from 1st April to the 24th September 2001, you are not going to earn any pts.. are you??

Like Martin said wait until the end of the year before making judgement on her ranking, because the people who are making an issue over her being ranked 66th are the ones who don't have a clue on how it works...
As for winning a tournament, well that is something entirely different..

BTW It's good to see that everyone obviously thinks that 2 events make a season :rolleyes:

apoet29
Apr 4th, 2002, 04:47 AM
Originally posted by ajayares

Now I am not going to get into this article becuase it is just a rehash of the Bild Article 5days ago and the same trash that appeared in the Sun yesterday.. But I would like to make a point on the above quote...

Now I don't think it matters how many events she has played this year.. every other player has had the opportunity to play the same #.. and since only the best 17 count towards your year end ranking it shouldn't be an issue...
She is 13th on pts this (482 pts) and as we all know she has had 3 1st Rd loses so basically you can say she has 478pts from 7 events..

The Fact is, that her ranking is not going to be much higher than it currently is, even if she played better in the previous 2 events, for the simple reason the Ranking system is a 52 week system and when you have only played one event from 1st April to the 24th September 2001, you are not going to earn any pts.. are you??

Like Martin said wait until the end of the year before making judgement on her ranking, because the people who are making an issue over her being ranked 66th are the ones who don't have a clue on how it works...
As for winning a tournament, well that is something entirely different..

BTW It's good to see that everyone obviously thinks that 2 events make a season :rolleyes:

Ajayres,
You make great points, but let me make something clear. I understand the ranking system that is why I made the statement "currently ranked." I believe that Anna has only 62 points to defend all year and she will only move up in the rankings. The issue is that Anna needs to win a title this year for her own self-confidence as a player.

No one thinks that 2 events make an entire season, but her losses are worrisome when you consider who she lost to. Let's hope that the clay court season will work much better for her.

ajayares
Apr 4th, 2002, 04:53 AM
Originally posted by apoet29

Ajayres,
You make great points, but let me make something clear. I understand the ranking system that is why I made the statement "currently ranked." I believe that Anna has only 62 points to defend all year and she will only move up in the rankings. The issue is that Anna needs to win a title this year for her own self-confidence as a player.

No one thinks that 2 events make an entire season, but her losses are worrisome when you consider who she lost to. Let's hope that the clay court season will work much better for her.

I want to clear something up.. when I said people that are making an issue about her ranking.. I wasn't actually refering to you.. but more or less the people who are writing these articles, when they say she has gone from 8th to 66th...

BTW As you said in the other thread, this muscular quote came from GQ mag.. and who knows if it is correct or what context it was taken in.. but I just love it how these articles are put toegther, the info is either out of date or inaccurate...

hhx
Apr 4th, 2002, 06:58 AM
There is an essay which denies Anna's paycut:
Wednesday, April 3

Kournikova rep denies London Sun report

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
By Darren Rovell
ESPN.com

Despite a recent published report, Anna Kournikova is not being threatened by a top sponsor to win or face a pay cut, according to an official at Octagon, which represents the Russian tennis player.

On Tuesday, the London Sun reported that adidas, which signed Kournikova in 1996, would lower the value of her contract if she didn't start winning. She has yet to win a singles title in 101 WTA tournaments.

"She will have to train harder and hopefully win her first tournament," adidas chair Herbert Hainer reportedly said in the article in which the headline read 'Win or take paycut, Anna.' "More sporting success is vital for her to be taken seriously."

But Octagon spokesman David Schwab said the comment was taken out of context and the quote came from an interview from last September with the German weekly tabloid Bild am Sonntag.

"The article that appeared in a couple of this morning's papers claiming Anna Kournikova has been warned to play better by adidas is simply not true," said Jon Deacon of adidas in a statement. "Anna Kournikova is a top symbol and important partner for adidas."

The story's authors, nor the sports editor for the Sun, could not be reached for comment Wednesday afternoon.

Two weeks ago, Octagon president of athlete representation Phil de Picciotto told ESPN.com that fan and corporate interest in Kournikova, who reportedly makes between $10 milllion and $15 million a year, "continues to be unparalled."

Darren Rovell, who covers sports business for ESPN.com, can be reached at darren.rovell@espn.com.

All4Williams
Apr 4th, 2002, 07:09 AM
Becca,

"I don't want to look like they [Venus and Serena] do. I'm not masculine like they are."

It's an attitude that may eventually cost her dear. Does Marion Jones complain that the weights programme that took her to Olympic and world championship success made her look too beefy?

Kournikova made these comments in Britain last year just before Wimbledon. They were painful to stomach. Calling two beautiful women Venus and Serena masculine was very rude and arrogant. If the press is now going at her - its because she put coal in the fire.
She earns a lot from the sport she should not put down those who work hard to excelle at it!
The BBC is known for accurate reporting!

thefreedesigner
Apr 4th, 2002, 08:18 AM
Anna's ranking is irrelevant now, we all know why she is currently ranked so low. But whether she's #8 or #80 winning counts, and that something she's not done, and has never done with regards to a tournament.

Anna is a one-off, a phenomenon - let's get that straight first of all. The myth (of her beauty, her sexiness, her image) is now way bigger than she is. No other sports person on this earth could 'get away with' (perhaps not the best phrase) underperforming the way she has. Under-performing? Well that's my personal opinion. Omega pay her because she's a 'phenomenon' but Adidas pay her to win so I conclude she's been under-performing.

Kournikova is in a no-win situation I admit, but the article is fair if a little laboured. Anna's situation is almost entirely of her own making in the way she has cultivated and manipulated her self-image for wealth OVER whatever it is she needs to be doing on the tennis court (which is primarily winning).

As for Kournikova's comments on developing more muslces and not wanting to be like 'them', I'm not sure Anna said that (I'm not saying she hasn't necessarily thought that), and if she did I can't imagine she said it recently. Anna very rarely says ANYTHING in interviews these days when you read them, and I can't imagine why she would deliberately pick out Venus over, for example, Jennifer.

juggler
Apr 4th, 2002, 09:10 AM
i just love the anna bashing that has developed from a bullshit article. theres too many incorrect statements by posters to point out just one. i'm just going to laugh this one off, its all i can do.

enough said...she just did a commercial for adidas!!!!!!!!:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

ajayares
Apr 4th, 2002, 10:25 AM
Originally posted by All4Williams
Becca,

Kournikova made these comments in Britain last year just before Wimbledon. They were painful to stomach. Calling two beautiful women Venus and Serena masculine was very rude and arrogant. If the press is now going at her - its because she put coal in the fire.
She earns a lot from the sport she should not put down those who work hard to excelle at it!
The BBC is known for accurate reporting!

Yeah BBC is a really accuate source... obviously you didn't read the Bild article on the 31st march or the London Sun Article yesterday.. which BTW appeared in Print before the BBC article...

Guess What??? it is the same information... yeah so that's what you call a real accurate reporting..:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

As for the comments, have you got them in context?? that's if she actually said them.. very doubtful in my book..

They said that she said them when she was asked to do a mascular pose... yeah, that must have been it... Obviously when you don't know the questions asked or what context they were taken in, you actually cannot make a judgement in my book... But then again it Ok to make judgement when the Player in question has a name of Anna....

brickhousesupporter
Apr 4th, 2002, 01:10 PM
This is not the first time i have heard these comments. They were not made recently as I have heard then I think in 2000. I just dont remember where I saw it. She also goes on to say that Serena's legs are like tree trunks.

Whether or not you believe she said it the fact remains that she is still underacheiving.

Anna: Where is all this heat coming from?
Adiddas: That is just a small fire being lit under your ass.

~ The Leopard ~
Apr 4th, 2002, 02:03 PM
The original article has "beat-up" written all over it. That's not to say Anna is beyond criticism, but these sorts of articles are written in a particular way that draws on previous articles, quotes that are either dubious or out of context, etc. The article ends up creating quite a misleading impression while having little substance.

FWIW Anna looks great at her current weight. If anything, yeah, she could afford to bulk up a little, if that's of any use for taking on the heavy hitters of the game. But she really needs a coach, a new overall strategy, and the *confidence* to get out there and implement it.

harloo
Apr 4th, 2002, 06:47 PM
Sorry, but I remember her muscular comments about Venus and Serena. It was right before Wimby, and she did say those things. Whether the article was stringed together or not, the fact remains that she made those offensive statements.

I don't have a problem with Anna though, she's really a victim of her enviornment. It's an enviornment that glorifies imagery and beauty over achievement. I didn't need the other article to figure out that Adidas wouldn't cut her pay. I mean come on, she is the most marketable athelete based on looks only. In reality she holds the power with them, I mean she could easily go to another company and demand more once her contract is up. So, cutting her pay wouldn't hurt her at all. It's sad though, I mean she can win a tournament. I mean she could try to win a Tier III or something. I think it's just that their's no incentive to do so.
I mean if she quits tennis tommorow, she will probably become bigger. I mean she will be in movies, more videos, and do more exercise videos. So, really who cares? It seems noone in the sport really does, because if they did she wouldn't be given wild cards at every touney. I think once the WTA get's serious and make her go through qualifying then things will never change. The WTA is trying to sell sex, and one of their new victims is Ashley Hankerload. What a shame.
So, having this discussion really is pointless. Everyone knows the real deal about this, and I say let Anna do her thing. It's a shame that the powers that be won't crack down on her, but that's life.;)

the cat
Apr 4th, 2002, 08:24 PM
This is just another in the long line of Anna bashing articles.

First, her quotes about the Williams sisters were taken out of context.

Secondly, Anna doesn't need to work harder. She needs to work smarter. ie: Hire a coach and learn how to strategize on the tennis court.

If Adidas ever lets Anna go, Nike or Reebok would sign her in the blink of an eye.

Someone referred to Anna as lazy. That's nonsense. The players, such as Monica Seles, say Anna is one of the hardest workers out there.

People forget that Anna plays a game that is very hard to tame. And suffering a major injury 5 straight years hurt her tennis developement. No one can dispute that.

I just hope she can get that spark to ignite her fine all court play that was evident in early 2001.

Dawn Marie makes a good point about Sharapova, Safina and Krasnoroutskaia. I hope their rise will not affect Anna in any way. But I wonder if Maria's ascencion will bother Anna. Maria has been gromed by IMG and Bollettieri's to be the next Anna. But only better. And that's not fair to Maria or Anna. Maria has already been misquoted by the media, concerning Anna. It's been reported that Maria told an HBO reporter that she doesn't want be like Anna, because she "wants to be a winner". Maria never said that. But people who've read that quote, think she said that. I saw her interview on HBO's "Real Sports" last year. And all Maria said about Anna was that "She hasn't won a tournament". And "She's the most famous girl out there". To pit Maria against Anna is shameful. The media has already misquoted Maria talking about Anna. And I'm sure there's more to come. Unfortunately.

Remember last year when Lina said she and Anna always say "Hi" to each other. But they don't talk like "friends"? That was a very fair comment by lina. But the media made it into a big story about how they don't like each other. Which is ridiculous. Saying "hi" to each other is enough. What? Is Anna supposed to mother every Russian girl that joins the WTA?

Why does it always have to be the next Russian girl versus Anna? That doesn't happen with the American. Belgian, French or Swiss girls and women. I guess it's because Anna is such an easy target. And that's a shame.

Udachi Anna! Do it for your fans. But most of all, do it for yourself. Let "us" handle the critics.

apoet29
Apr 4th, 2002, 10:50 PM
when will Anna hire a coach? What will it take for her to admit that she needs to change her approach to her tennis career? Anna has all the talent in the world, but to get to the next level she needs professional help. I think her parents have taken her as far as they are capable of doing so.

What do you guys think?:confused:

Martian Martin
Apr 4th, 2002, 11:39 PM
Apoet, well I think Anna needs a coach and I know the Anna fans that have posted in here think the same thing as well, because well we've all posted our thoughts on an Anna board. I don't know why Anna hasn't hired a coach, she needs a little fine tuning in her game, her serve, her forehand, that sort of thing, but that's all. Anna's biggest problem is her confidence, which will come back, it's just taking a little bit longer than we maybe thought.

Another thing to point out is that Anna's had some really horrific draws this year, and the biggest problem was not having some good draws in Paris, Antwerp and Dubai, on the back of the semi final in Tokyo which was a great tournament for Anna. Don't forget Anna took a set off Serena in Sydney, and let's face it, how many players can say that this year?
Final point about Anna's ranking is the only reason it's not higher, is that she had by the middle of February, she had just over 400 ranking points to defend, so if Anna was playing as poorly as is made out, then she would be in the 100s by now, and wouldn't have been able to defend them by the start of March.

Snoopy91
Apr 5th, 2002, 12:59 AM
Great question Apoet. I would bet that deep down Anna has probably already realized that she needs to change her approach to tennis if she wishes to fully realize her potential. However, I also believe that Anna is very, very stubborn and may not be ready to admit to herself or others that she needs a coach and a strategy. While this stubborness is not always a bad thing (how many times have we seen it bring her back from 5-1 down in the 3rd set) in this case it is majorly inhibiting her progress.

Another issue may be that Anna is probably somewhat difficult to coach. Eric Van Harpen was a great coach for Conchita and he got Patty Schnyder to 8th in the world, but he simply wasn't right for Anna, and he publicly said part of that had to do with all of her endorsement responsibilities. Anna clearly grew the most tennis wise under the direction of Nick Bolleterri. However, I get the impression Bolleterri is more a coach for developing players, and not players that are at the point in their career Anna is at. If Anna is to get a coach, it is imperative that it be the right coach for her, otherwise she might as well just go back to her parents because nothing will be accomplished. As much as I think it is important for any coach Anna may have to be the right one for her, this may also be a point of great difficulty, as I don't see Anna being the easiest player to coach.

Overall, I think an attitude adjustment may be what Anna needs. She is a very hard worker, and many players have pointed out, but I personally feel that she has been coddled all of her life and now it is catching up to her. She needs someone who is not directly involved in her situation to sit her down and tell her how it is. I say someone not directly involved because I believe a large part of the trouble is that all of the people close to her just feed her existing attitude (Sergei would be the one possible exception in my mind, but that is an entirely different topic.) I don't think a sports psychologist would hurt at all, and it may actually prove to be a great help.

I don't really know what it will take for Anna to realize change is necessary. I have no doubt she loves tennis, so I still have a great deal of hope that she will improve her situation eventually. I honestly believe that all she needs is the right coach to give her a successful strategy. However, the attitude must change before the coach can even make an impact, and only Anna has power over that.

Playa
Apr 5th, 2002, 01:03 AM
It's been reported that Maria told an HBO reporter that she doesn't want be like Anna, because she "wants to be a winner". Maria never said that.

I think those comment were made by Helena Dementeva :confused:

Dektator
Apr 5th, 2002, 03:57 AM
After reading the cat's post i must totally agree with it!

Newspapers are only trying to make it worse than it really looks like...take per exemple THE SUN...one of Britains most popular news medi....thay have made so many Bs articles about Anna during those past years that i cant count them all...

With all respect

Dektator!

marshmellow
Apr 5th, 2002, 07:07 AM
Originally posted by essielewis
I don't think she has brains enough to be embarrassed about it.:rolleyes:

Pffff….you can say your opinion but IMO, this is just a low blow.

It seems anna’s alleged comments about the williams’ sisters muscles have contributed to why a lot of Williams fans replied to this thread. And if she really did say those comments then shame on anna. It’s probably taken out of context and made to sound that way by writers though. But I don’t think venus is masculine. And with serena’s body type, she can afford to be a little bit more toned.

This being said, I don’t think it’s entirely healthy for anna to bulk up to the point where she suffers the way Michael Chang did and lose her speed on the court. Getting fitter is one thing and working out to build more upper body strength might help anna though.

I don’t think anyone here can really be sure of anna’s seriousness or her lack of it for some here, about tennis. She enters as many events as she thinks she could handle so there’s obviously a goal she wants to achieve for herself this year. However, when you suffer first round losses and against players you should have beaten, it makes it hard for others to see that.

the fact that she won’t get a coach could be because of a lot of reasons. However, a coach is really something she needs. she isn’t even coming back from an injury anymore. She’s had more than enough time to get her game together, but she hasn’t for some reason. And anna’s suffering from lack of confidence now. I agree, she desperately needs a game plan and a good coach can help you with exactly that. maybe anna goes into a match with one but when things start going wrong, she simply doesn’t have the tenacity to push on through with it. It has occurred to me that anna’s not only mentally weak but emotionally fragile as well. When she’s getting mad at herself after missing an important shot, reacting to a bad line call, or even thumping the umpire’s chair at the change of ends….she can lose the next games so easily even though she’d started so well that you just want to yell at her to get a grip.

When will she get a coach?
Unfortunately, not as soon as she needs to. But like van harpen said, it’s time for anna and her parents to admit that they’ve taken their daughter as far as they could take her.

Until then she’s gonna have to concentrate on what she has to do, play the way she could, and work with whatever draw (no matter how hard or easy) that she gets.

the cat
Apr 5th, 2002, 04:44 PM
Well said MM!

Taking quotes out of context is the way the print media does things.

Volcana
Apr 5th, 2002, 07:48 PM
Here's Anna's record for the past 12 months. She has 16 tournaments (more than some of the top ten). As we can see, she doesn't defend much for the rest of 2002. I believe 62 points was mentioned. However, the problem isn't the number of points she has. The problem is, she's playing the same way she did last fall.

She closed 2001 losing five of six tournaments inthe 1st or 2nd round. She's played ten tournaments in 2002 already (which is far too many). She lost in the 1st or 2nd round SEVEN times.

T2 San Diego... r1 B BYE
T2 San Diego... r2 L Nicole PRATT (AUS) 7-6(1) 1-6 3-6

T2 Leipzig..... r1 B BYE
T2 Leipzig..... r2 L Anastasia MYSKINA (RUS) 4-6 6-3 3-6

T1 Moscow...... r1 L Galina FOKINA (RUS) 2-6 6-1 2-6

T2 Stuttgart... r1 L Anne KREMER (LUX) 6-4 2-6 5-7

T1 Zurich...... r1 L Amanda COETZER (RSA) 0-6 6-4 3-6

T3 Luxembourg.. r1 W Jana KANDARR (GER) 6-4 7-5
T3 Luxembourg.. r2 W Daniela HANTUCHOVA (SVK) 6-1 7-6(4)
T3 Luxembourg.. QF L Kim CLIJSTERS (BEL) 5-7 6-7(2)

T4 Auckland.... r1 32 W Cara BLACK (ZIM) 7-6(6) 6-2
T4 Auckland.... r2 W Amy FRAZIER (USA) 6-4 6-1
T4 Auckland.... QF W Emmanuelle GAGLIARDI (SUI) 2-6 6-4 7-5
T4 Auckland.... SF L Anna SMASHNOVA (ISR) 1-6 4-6

T2 Sydney...... r1 W Angeles MONTOLIO (ESP) 6-4 6-2
T2 Sydney...... r2 L Serena WILLIAMS (USA) 2-6 6-4 3-6

GS OZ Open..... r1 L Justine HENIN (BEL) 2-6 5-7

T1 Tokyo....... r1 W Cristina TORRENS-VALERO (ESP) 6-3 6-0
T1 Tokyo....... r2 W Elena DEMENTIEVA (RUS) 7-6(4) 7-6(5)
T1 Tokyo....... QF W Anne KREMER (LUX) 6-4 6-2
T1 Tokyo....... SF L Monica SELES (USA) 3-6 6-3 3-6

T2 Paris....... r1 W Emmanuelle GAGLIARDI (SUI) 6-7(3) 6-4 6-4
T2 Paris....... r2 L Amelie MAURESMO (FRA) 3-6 5-7

T2 Antwerp..... r1 W Marlene WEINGARTNER (GER) 6-2 6-1
T2 Antwerp..... r2 L Venus WILLIAMS (USA) 5-7 0-6

T2 Dubai....... r1 W Selima SFAR (TUN) 6-7(3) 6-2 6-4
T2 Dubai....... r2 L Venus WILLIAMS (USA) 2-6 6-7(3)

T3 Acapulco.... r1 W Mariana DIAZ-OLIVA (ARG) 6-4 7-5
T3 Acapulco.... r2 W Tathiana GARBIN (ITA) 6-1 6-2
T3 Acapulco.... QF W Janette HUSAROVA (SVK) 6-3 6-4
T3 Acapulco.... SF L Katarina SREBOTNIK (SLO) 7-5 3-6 1-6

T1 Indian Wells r1 L Lilia OSTERLOH (USA) 1-6 4-6

T1 Miami....... r1 L Eleni DANIILIDOU (GRE) 5-7 3-6

Ryan
Apr 5th, 2002, 08:07 PM
Thats already more tournaments then Sereba played all last year! That's way too many, and she's losing to so many players that aren't as talented as her.

Volcana
Apr 5th, 2002, 08:18 PM
544 points in 16 tournaments

--1 T2 San Diego
--1 T2 Leipzig
--1 T1 Moscow
--1 T2 Stuttgart
--1 T1 Zurich
-57 T3 Luxembourg*
-69 T4 Auckland
-48 T2 Sydney
--2 GS OZ Open
189 T1 Tokyo
-29 T2 Paris
-35 T2 Antwerp
-29 T2 Dubai
-79 T3 Acapulco
--1 T1 Indian Wells
--1 T1 Miami

* (Not sure but this is ABOUT right. 37 points for QFs + QPs)

Toray Pan Pacific looked promising, but then 2nd losses in Paris, Antwerp and Dubai, plus 1st round losses at miami and Indian Wells made those promises vapor.

thefreedesigner
Apr 5th, 2002, 08:19 PM
To be fair to Anna there are some good runs and results in there....just the difficulty in stringing them together, and once again the inability to make changes.

How many events do people think Anna will have racked up by the year's end. I mean, she cannot continue at current pace!!

apoet29
Apr 5th, 2002, 08:52 PM
I think she is a player who needs to play a lot of tournaments in order to gain any sort of momentum. If you look at her results in 2000, Anna played an enormous amount of tennis (26 tournaments in singles, 19 in doubles) and produced some of her best tennis since 1998 including 8 semifinals (including the Chase) and 1 final (Kremlin Cup). Unfortunately, Anna's body has proven to be very physically fragile and she paid for so much tennis with a stress fracture in February 2001 (called a Jones fracture said to be the most serious fracture of the foot) that cost her 75% of the season, any momentum that she had and her ranking.

Unfortunately, Anna has not learned anything from that bad injury since she is insistant on playing the same amount of tournaments this year. 10 tournaments between January and April is an enormous amount of tennis. One can argue that since Anna is losing so early in most tournaments that she needs all the match practice she can get by entering as many tournaments as possible. However, when you take into consideration travel time between tournaments, getting adjusted to new time changes, new courts, new opponents, new practice times, etc, it seems that Anna should play a lighter schedule and remain in Florida to practice and maximize her chances for victory in the tournaments she has entered.

Of course, this is all conjecture. In the end, each player does what works for them. For the Williams sisters and Capriati, it is a limited schedule. For Hingis, it is to take a month off between the big tournaments and the surface changes. I guess Anna feels since a tight schedule worked so well for her in 2000; there is no reason that it cannot work again. However, there is a difference when a player is playing with confidence and has some momentum as Anna did in 2000 compared to a player who has no confidence and no momentum as Anna does now. It is time for a change for her. Anna played well in Acapulco. Hopefully, she will gain some confidence from that to do some damage during the clay court season.

Martian Martin
Apr 6th, 2002, 12:15 AM
Ryan14, it doesn't matter that Anna has played more tournaments than Serena, that has nothing to do with it at all. :confused:. I don't hear you saying about players like Jelena who has played 29 tournaments, and Silvia Farina Elia who has played 30. The amount of tournaments you play doesn't matter, it's your best 17 that counts, and that goes for all players, not just Anna.

Overall, you can basically forget these 1 pointers, she got last year, because she was coming back from injury, no one can dispute that at all. As I said before, for me she's had 2 terrible losses this year, 1 quite bad loss and 1 bad loss. The terrible ones were Danilidou in Miami and Osterloh as well, although Osterloh is a good player on hard courts. The quite bad loss was Srebotnik in Acapulco, but Anna did something to her neck that day, plus Srebotnik is a capable player on clay, as she will show in coming weeks. The Smashnova was a devastating one at the time, but looking back on it, it wasn't as bad as that, because look at how well she has played this year, look at some of the players she's beaten. Although this loss was the most frustrating one of the year for Anna, because had she won that match, she would have beaten Panova in the final.

Volcana
Apr 6th, 2002, 12:48 AM
APoet29 writes

*Besides bulkiness would only slow Anna down and speed is one of her greatest assets.

This is one of the great falsehoods. Big muscles don't slow you down. Exhibit A, Serena Williams. Exhibit B, Kim Clijsters. Anna could get way bigger without slowing herself down. In fact, she'd probably be FASTER. Fast twitch muscle fibers are the big ones. But would she be a better tennis player? No. Anyone who's seen Anna play well knows she's athletically gifted. She one of the best pure athletes on the tour. How good? She's one of the hundred best players in the world, and has never shown any knowledge of tactics beyond 'hit to the left corner, hit to the right corner'. She plays on instinct, and right now, her's just aren't that good. But she's such a good athlete that when she's on, she covers a lot of court, and hits REALLY hard. Which leads to your second point....

*What Anna needs to work on is creating a game plan and having tactical awareness of her opponents strengths and weaknesses.

Boy howdy. Add judgement, as in, when to go for a winner, when to try a drop shot, when NOT to do anything fancy. But, as near as I can tell, Anna doesn't see anything wrong. And athletically, there's not. She's the same size as the #1 player in the world. She's BIGGER than the #3 player. Last time I saw her, she was faster than both. But Anna has never seemed clued into the idea that there's an intellectual aspect to tennis, an emotional aspect to tennis, that it isn't all just running fast and hitting hard.

Ryan
Apr 6th, 2002, 12:56 AM
Ryan14, it doesn't matter that Anna has played more tournaments than Serena, that has nothing to do with it at all. . I don't hear you saying about players like Jelena who has played 29 tournaments, and Silvia Farina Elia who has played 30. The amount of tournaments you play doesn't matter, it's your best 17 that counts, and that goes for all players, not just Anna.

I wasn't trying to insult Anna Martin, I was merelay shocked at the comparison of tournaments.

marshmellow
Apr 6th, 2002, 05:15 AM
lifting light weights will help anna but overdoing it too much, will be disastrous. i remember (and miss) michael chang and he wasn't the most bulked up guy on tour. but he had major speed in his game that helped him a lot. but as soon as he started heavy weightlifting, he struggled. there's nothing wrong with building more muscles. it's actually a good thing. helps your game, gives you more power in your strokes, strengthens muscle fibers in your legs adn arms. only, not every player has the body type for it. you can only weightlift to a certain degree.

anna could never have an arm like that of serena nor jennifer. just like martina won't. but martina has tried bulking up, she's had to. and i actually thought it was good. but she shouldn't try to win matches by trying to overpower her opponents from the baseline. she's a counter puncher. she should use her variety of shots and just go for the kill when the short ball comes.

anna's just a little taller than martina. and they seem to have the similar body frame. however, anna's the more injury prone player. and if she weightlifts more than she needs to, or more than her body can handle, hooboy, i don't even want to know :sad:

i guess what im saying is anna could lift weights and she could run around the court the whole day but until she learns and conquer the mental side of tennis, play the shots when they need to be played, and not play them (don't try a down the line shot from 3 feet behind the baseline...and running :rolleyes: , don't show us you can make drop shots at break points when it's a deep shot you're returning! :fiery: ) she's gonna struggle with her game.....

Snoopy91
Apr 6th, 2002, 05:49 AM
Many people have said that Anna may benefit from bulking up a little bit. This may or may not be, but there is always the possibility that Anna will never be able to truly "bulk up." There are certain biological factors that determine how much muscle a person can develop. Anna may be a person who simply is not biologically able to develop the muscles of a Serena or a Jennifer. Some people simply cannot develop the muscles that other people can. Genetics play a huge role in how strong a person can be. Steroids can help alter this biology, which is probably how the "nerds to studs" people on talk shows have developed their muscles. However, I'm sure we all agree steroids are absolutely not the way to go. People often comment on how slight Anna is, which would go along perfectly with her inability to gain large amounts of muscle. It would make sense that a person with a smaller body frame would be unable to naturally develop muscles because the added weight could negatively affect their bone and body structure. I'm not saying Anna could not perhaps tone her muscles a little bit more, but I'm almost certain she could never develop the muscles of some other players.

Playa
Apr 6th, 2002, 07:11 AM
the most significant thing that Anna has to do right now is to win a tournie and not to pump iron.

it' s only when she has won one, two or three tournies, that she will be able to consider to challenge the big Babes on Ties 1 or G.S, and then she's gonna have to make that crusial decision.

She needs to grow up a li'lle bit IMHO,she's too much distracted.

I wouldn't trust any MALE coach around my daugther so i can understand why many player's parents feel the same .
after all the majority of the top players don't have a coach.

i like to make fun of anna but sometimes i feel sorry for her, cause i know she's more hurt than anyone else by this situation

and i don't bieleve she will be able to do something about it.
why? cause she hasn't suffred enough in her life to realise that...

regards

Playa
Apr 6th, 2002, 03:23 PM
oopss correction...
I meant : If I had a daugther I wouldn't trust any male coach !

not married yet :D