PDA

View Full Version : Money Money Money

Jetta
Apr 3rd, 2002, 02:30 PM
Women to earn more money at French Open

April 3, 2002

PARIS (AP) -- Women will get more money at this year's French Open, but will still receive less than the men.

Total prize money is going up 10 percent to $10,762,508, organizers said Wednesday. The men's champion will earn $686,135 and the women's champ will earn $668,981.

The overall women's increase is 11.5 percent compared with a 10.4 percent increase for the men.

Prize money at the U.S. Open and the Australian Open is equal for men and women. Women still receive less than men at Wimbledon, but the gap has closed.

Overall prize money at Roland Garros is more than at the last Australian Open but less than at Wimbledon and the U.S. Open last year.

The French Open runs May 27-June 9.

veryborednow
Apr 3rd, 2002, 02:35 PM
Wimbledon are So-o-o-o-o-o far behind now it's embarrassing.

I don't understand what their problem is...

Pureracket
Apr 3rd, 2002, 02:44 PM
VBN,
I think the French is as well. I don't know why it would be so hard to kick in the extra $money to make it equal prize money.

brickhousesupporter
Apr 3rd, 2002, 03:15 PM
I kind of see this as a compromise. they dont want to fully give in the the equal prizemoney so this is as close at they are willing to go.

Deira
Apr 3rd, 2002, 03:52 PM
They'll come around eventually ... I'm not sure about old Wimby:(

Beat
Apr 3rd, 2002, 05:42 PM
well, why not make it equal? i mean, $20'000 difference, that's just stupid. and as for wimbledon, well, we ll know how »traditional« they are....:(

Kart
Apr 5th, 2002, 09:04 PM
On principle I suppose I ought to say that the women deserve the same as the men at the French open, but I think that the relative difference is not that much so I don't think it's such a big deal.

Wimbledon, on the other hand, is tragically pathetic regarding the discrepancies between women and men's pay cheques.

Sadly I don't see it changing in the near future :(.