PDA

View Full Version : Who will star on clay this spring?

veryborednow
Apr 3rd, 2002, 12:03 PM
As the world's best players make the transition from hard court to clay, here’s your chance to predict who will shine on the dirt in spring 2002. Here are our five contenders in this week’s Sanex WTA Tour Weekly Poll with a brief rundown of their clay court results in 2001.

Jennifer Capriati

http://www.sanexwtatour.com/assets/story_image/capriati_headshot.jpg

Fresh from a clay victory in Charleston, the recent Australian Open champion extended her win streak to nine matches by reaching the Berlin final, defeating Dokic, Testud, Martinez and Henin before falling to Mauresmo in three sets. After a surprising first round exit in Rome to Kuti Kis, Capriati stormed back in the most impressive way in Paris. Capriati’s second straight Grand Slam victory came at the expense of Serena Williams, Hingis and Clijsters in her last three matches. Her 12-10 in the third set win over Clijsters was one of the matches of the year, with the American being two points from defeat on a number of occasions.

Jelena Dokic

http://www.sanexwtatour.com/assets/story_image/dokic_headshot.jpg

Ranked No.28, Dokic became a genuine contender this time last year, starting with a semifinal effort in Hamburg, defeating Top 20 players Maleeva and Sanchez-Vicario en route. After pushing Capriati to three sets in the Berlin second round, Dokic had an historic week in Rome, capturing her first Sanex WTA Tour singles title with first-ever victories over Martinez and an in-form Mauresmo. That win put her into the Top 20 for the first time, guaranteeing her first Grand Slam seeding at the French Open (No.15), where she was upset by Mandula in three sets. Now firmly entrenched in the Top 10, Dokic is poised for another great run.

Amelie Mauresmo

http://www.sanexwtatour.com/assets/story_image/mauresmo_headshot.jpg

Mauresmo arrived in Europe with three victories from her past four tournaments (including the US clay event in Amelia Island). Her march to the Berlin title was one of her finest moments of the year, defeating Majoli, Schnyder, Coetzer, Hingis and Capriati (the last four in three sets) for her first Tier I title. The strong form continued in Rome, where she beat Hingis for a second week before falling to Dokic. With a disappointing first round exit at Roland Garros, and coming off a win in her most recent tournament this year (Dubai), Mauresmo will be determined to show her best, not only in Europe, but on her home turf in France.

Angeles Montolio

http://www.sanexwtatour.com/assets/story_image/montolio_headshot.jpg

The only player to reach three European clay finals in the spring of 2001, Montolio won the first two titles of her career in Estoril and Bol, defeating Henin and Testud in the respective semifinals. After troubling Testud in Berlin and Mauresmo in Rome, Montolio reached her third final of the year in Madrid, falling to compatriot Sanchez-Vicario. Starting 2001 ranked outside the Top 50, the diminutive Spaniard is now on the verge of the Top 20 and will be a feared opponent for any of the top players heading into the year’s second Grand Slam.

Arantxa Sanchez-Vicario

http://www.sanexwtatour.com/assets/story_image/sanchezvicario_headshot.jpg

A seasoned clay court campaigner, Sanchez-Vicario started her spring swing with a victory in Porto, her first Tour title in two years. She then returned to the US, where she beat Hingis for just the second time in 17 attempts in the Amelia Island quarterfinals. After quarterfinal efforts in Hamburg, Berlin and Rome, Sanchez-Vicario claimed her 29th career title in Madrid without the loss of a set. More recently, the veteran Spaniard reached the quarterfinals in Indian Wells (pushing Seles to three sets) and the fourth round in Miami last week.

2ace2
Apr 3rd, 2002, 05:19 PM
None of the above!
Who?
Kim of course!
:)

TeNnIsFaN
Apr 3rd, 2002, 05:24 PM
Jennifer Capriati

SM
Apr 3rd, 2002, 05:46 PM
Jelena :) , Kim :) , JuJu :) and Hantuchova :)
:bounce:

Fedcup
Apr 3rd, 2002, 05:48 PM
Justine :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

carot
Apr 3rd, 2002, 05:49 PM
Justine and Martina, and we'll finally see them play against each other in the final of roland garros! :)

Mazza
Apr 3rd, 2002, 05:57 PM
Miss Kim Clijsters! :bounce: C'mon Kimmie!!!! :bounce:

http://www.sanexwtatour.com/assets/personnel_image/mug60.jpg

[S@nti]
Apr 3rd, 2002, 09:35 PM
Marta Marrero
http://www.sanexwtatour.com/assets/personnel_image/mug134.jpg
María José Martínez
http://www.sanexwtatour.com/assets/personnel_image/mug137.jpg

Ryan
Apr 3rd, 2002, 09:54 PM
Justine and Martina, and we'll finally see them play against each other in the final of roland garros!

I'm keeping my fingers crossed carot! Although I'd just settle for thme playngi, ANY round.

Martina will dominate the clay this year.

IAM#1
Apr 3rd, 2002, 09:57 PM
Serena will have a GREAT CLAY SEASON.. HER AND VENUS HAVE BEEN PRACTICING ON THEIR CLAY GAMES SINCE AFTER THE AUSSIE OPEN..

vw43
Apr 3rd, 2002, 09:58 PM
Jenny, of course, but we need to look out for the Williams Sisters as well...They have something to prove on clay and I think they will. :)

Vanity
Apr 3rd, 2002, 10:03 PM
it definately won't be the crappy williams sisters! :D

veryborednow
Apr 3rd, 2002, 10:03 PM
oi - debate people :)

Gonzo Hates Me!
Apr 3rd, 2002, 10:09 PM
I don't know how Kim did so well on clay courts last year. She has never been a clay-courter. I hate to say it, but Roland Garros was luck of the draw for her and then Justine's foolishness helped get her to the final. But she won her matches, that's all, she deserved to get there. She just isn't a clay-courter in my opinion though. The other two clay tournies she did well in, Bol and Knokke Heist were small and mediocre, and she defeated little players to get far there. I am sorry to bring down spirit, but she isn't great on clay or anything. If she can repeat her success last year, I will be shocked. I think it right to speak with un-biassed views.

Don't know if Jela is either, even if she won Rome. Somebody prove me wrong, but I just don't think of her as being great on clay. But good luck to her.

I will say

Capriati
Hingis
MARY HOPEFULLY!!!!!!!!!!!
Paola Suarez

Iroda Tulyaganova!!!! --\\\\
-----------------------------------Make the world notice you
Marta Marrero!!!! ------////

GUGA HOPEFULLY!!!!! GET WELL KID
Juan Carlos Ferrero and the rest of the Spanish Armada
the South Americans

HOPING FOR FEDERER, KIM, JELA, AND LLEYTON TO ALL FLUSH MY DOUBT IN THE TOILET!! BUT DESPITE DOUBT, I HAVE FAITH IN THEM

theheninfan
Apr 3rd, 2002, 10:14 PM
Justine of course! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

http://www.henin.net/images/pic307.jpg

FLL
Apr 3rd, 2002, 10:32 PM
Anna Kournikova, of course!(I really hope but I don't expect really good clay results:rolleyes: )

Justinator
Apr 3rd, 2002, 10:36 PM
Originally posted by Mrs_Guga
I am sorry to bring down spirit, but she isn't great on clay or anything.

Maybe you haven't seen a lot of matches of Kim on clay. I didn't expect a lot of Kim at RG last year, I thaught Clay wasn't her thing, but then she surprised us and went straight to the final. Sure she had some luck with the draw, but you still have to do it. Kim wasn't the only player who had a good draw.

Then there was the Fed Cup in Madrid on clay. Kim proved that RG was no fluke, I think she was playing some of her best tennis ever. How she destroyed Sanchez and Dementieva.

So yes, I do think Kim has a good chance to shine again at RG, that if her arm and shoulder don't cause any problems.

~|Naomi|~
Apr 4th, 2002, 12:48 AM
I agree with Justinator, sure she had an easier draw than some finalists in the past but she still had to win her matches, and she also did great at the fed cup where she didn't just have the pressure of playing on clay but also for her country. Don't forget every year when she was growing up she trained on clay in the summer.

But to answer the first question:

I think Kim has a chance to shine, as do Justine (don't count her out), Daniela and Daja ( I can dream) and also Lina if she's fit she did make QF at RG last year.

Seles_Beckham
Apr 4th, 2002, 12:52 AM
MONIKA SELES------------THE QUEEN ON CLAY
LOOK AT HER RECORD ON CLAY 135 - 19
:wavey: :wavey: :wavey: :wavey: :wavey: :wavey: :wavey: :wavey: :wavey: :wavey: :wavey: :wavey: :wavey: :wavey: :wavey:

angele87
Apr 4th, 2002, 01:02 AM
Maybe Kim had an easy draw but it's not like she had an easy draw and got demolished 6-0 6-0 in the final...
Anyways, my vote, as always if for Kimmie!! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

hhx
Apr 4th, 2002, 01:13 AM
Monica Seles.:kiss:

LucasArg
Apr 4th, 2002, 01:39 AM
VENUS AND SERENA:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

PAOLA SUAREZ AND MARIA EMILIA SALERNI:hearts: :hearts: :hearts:

LucasArg
Apr 4th, 2002, 01:41 AM
[

xcrtbckhnd
Apr 4th, 2002, 01:50 AM
Who will star?
Jen
Monica
Martina

Who will do well?
Amanda
AnnaS
Amelie

Who will surprise?
AnnaK
Iva
Mary and Conchita (it won't be that much of a surprise for either really)