PDA

View Full Version : should mary be seeded at Roland Garroce 2002?

alessandrochus
Apr 3rd, 2002, 07:53 AM
sometimes building the draw, some tournaments (in particoular Wimbledon) don't respect the ranking.

should mary be seeded in Roland garroce this year?

Williams Rulez
Apr 3rd, 2002, 07:58 AM
Yes... top 32... :D

The Crow
Apr 3rd, 2002, 07:58 AM
Of course not.

thefreedesigner
Apr 3rd, 2002, 07:59 AM
If she qualifies, then she qualifies (but I don't think she will).

I have a lot of time and respect for Mary, but I'm sure that even if you ask her, she wouldn't want any special treatment. She's been injured - horribly and frustratingly - but we'll see.

:)

spyro
Apr 3rd, 2002, 08:00 AM
no...:wavey:

Zhao
Apr 3rd, 2002, 09:05 AM
No
Does not make any sense

jomar
Apr 3rd, 2002, 09:08 AM
No.

unless the Wimby officials took over Roland Garros then "YES!!!";):D

MaRKy MaRk
Apr 3rd, 2002, 09:16 AM
IMO, it depends on Mary's results in the clay season. I mean, if she wins 2 tournaments (which is possible) she should be seeded...they should respect her previous performances in RG. She won it in 2000, and reached the final in 1994.

wave
Apr 3rd, 2002, 09:21 AM
Sorry, lost the overview on her rankings. Does she get a direct entry? If not she will surely get a wildcard as a former champion. But a seeding? That would not be fair. She will nevertheless be a major threat for all players if they have to play her in the first rounds.
If she is allready that good she will go far in the tournament even without a seeding.yes, it is important to have a top 8 seeding in order not to have a big oponent before the quaters. The other seeds (9-32)are not so important especially on clay, where the seednumber often does not represent the actual strength of the player. And Mary is in the moment no top 8 player, but let's see how well she does on the clay courts before RG...

Good luck to her!;)

2ace2
Apr 3rd, 2002, 10:20 AM
No, but I would like her to receive a WC into the maindraw, but no seeding.
:)

Experimentee
Apr 3rd, 2002, 01:45 PM
no they should go by the rankings. Wimby never really did anything drastic like seeding a player ranked in the 200's....they only did it for steffi graf (not sure if her ranking was that low though) rightly so coz she'd won the tournament more than once before...mary has only won roland garros once.

Mazza
Apr 3rd, 2002, 01:50 PM
Nope, I hope she qualifies or recives a wild card but there are other players who right now deserve a seeding more than her....

Volcana
Apr 3rd, 2002, 01:52 PM
No. Give her the gold exempt wild card so we can be sure she gets in, but no seed. The seeded players earned those positions. And if Mary is close to her old self, by the USOpen, she'll be one of the 32 seeds. It not like she's defending anything.

supremeross
Apr 3rd, 2002, 01:57 PM
I'm hoping that Mary comes back on fire and wins this tourney in Sarasota and gets on a tear so that her ranking is high enough for her to get a direct entry. It looks promising, her win over Ai was impressive because the last time they played was at the AO in 2000 and Ai had won. Keep up the good work Mary

[S@nti]
Apr 3rd, 2002, 03:46 PM
No, but I think she will receive a WC

TatiAnnahølic
Apr 3rd, 2002, 03:58 PM
NO :rolleyes:

TheBoiledEgg
Apr 3rd, 2002, 04:18 PM
There are no exempt WC's in slams

But if you miss 3 slams in a row then you are entitled to a place in one slam when you do come back.

Pierce was WC in Aus so she still has this option available.

Fingon
Apr 3rd, 2002, 07:50 PM
She can't be seeded unless she is ranked high enough.

If am not wrong, the organizers can change the order of the seeds but not decide who is seeded and who is not.

The first 32 players in the ranking are seeds, then the organizers can change them around as much as they like, but they can't include a player in the list.

For sure (I am talking like Justine now) she should get a wild card if she doesn't get in directly.

alessandrochus
Apr 3rd, 2002, 09:04 PM
i'm waiting great performances from Mary:wavey:

Scotso
Apr 3rd, 2002, 09:07 PM
Uhm, doesn't she still have her injury ranking?

If she uses that she'll be seeded.

I find it amazing there are still so many people that don't like Mary. Oh well, their loss.

Go and win RG again, Mary! :bounce:

alessandrochus
Apr 3rd, 2002, 09:09 PM
do you know how mary is ranked under the protect ranking?

Scotso
Apr 3rd, 2002, 09:09 PM
17 I think.

Kart
Apr 5th, 2002, 08:08 PM
I think it would be more entertaining if Mary didn't get seeded - as long as she gets into the other half of the draw from Monica ;).