PDA

View Full Version : Why play if you are going to retire?????

conchita
Apr 3rd, 2002, 06:13 AM
Why do the williams' play tennis when all they do is retire when they are being slaughtered, mostly in the final sets?:

1. 1998 Toshiba Challenge-down 0-4 against Mary Pierce in the 3rd set and venus retires.

2. 1999 German Open-down 3-6 2-3 against Aranxta and Serena retires.

3. 2000 Lipton Championships- down 5-2 in the third against Paola Suarez and Serena retires.

4. 2000 du Maurier Open- Serena is down 0-3 in the third and she retires.

5. 2001 Indian Wells-Venus withdraws without even playing coz she is playing her sister.

6. 2001 Sanex Championships- Venus doesn't play coz Serena is playing and an investigation is being launched.

Dawn Marie
Apr 3rd, 2002, 06:23 AM
LMAO.. *Conchita* I thought you were refering to Conchita... seriously. I was so going to say *what is Conchi retireing soon?*

LOL@this thread. Quick somebody give me all stats of all wta tour players who have retired or drop out of doubles due to injury. Oh well whatever the case Serena and Venus are winning titles and slams. :);)

Jakeev
Apr 3rd, 2002, 08:30 AM
You go dawn marie!!!!!!!!:kiss: :kiss: :kiss:

MaRKy MaRk
Apr 3rd, 2002, 09:33 AM
Well...they obviously retire cuz they're injured. They're too competitive to retire because they're losing...I don't think they would do that...

And what's the point of continuing if u can't give it 100%. You know that you have no chance of winning because of injury, and you can just make the injury worse...

Ms. Lively
Apr 3rd, 2002, 09:48 AM
obviously, an attempt to rile up williams fans... :rolleyes:

lrg bllt
Apr 3rd, 2002, 10:34 AM
now you know this is gonna start a big fight right, not from me though since i aint a big williams fan as you can probably see lol :D

marshmellow
Apr 3rd, 2002, 11:03 AM
im sorry but 5 and 6 don't apply....

yes mark. but the question was why play if you're going to retire. not why retire if ever you're losing ;)

i dunno. maybe cos they're tennis players who play tennis? but suffer misfortune in the form of injuries in the course of their careers....

Experimentee
Apr 3rd, 2002, 01:17 PM
How many times has venus played on, even when she was carrying an injury? A few recent matches at the AO and Dubai spring to mind...

Zamboni
Apr 3rd, 2002, 01:17 PM
please not this again :rolleyes:

It's annoying if players retire with only 1 or 2 games to play but they could make their injury worse in those games, and than everybody would say that they should have retired.

Why am I even reacting seriously to this?

Pureracket
Apr 3rd, 2002, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by conchita
Why do the williams' play tennis when all they do is retire when they are being slaughtered, mostly in the final sets?:

5. 2001 Indian Wells-Venus withdraws without even playing coz she is playing her sister.

6. 2001 Sanex Championships- Venus doesn't play coz Serena is playing and an investigation is being launched.

They weren't playing in these matches. It was impossible for them to retire.;)

griffin
Apr 3rd, 2002, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by adnil

Why am I even reacting seriously to this?

I was wondering that, myself :p

Rocketta
Apr 3rd, 2002, 04:31 PM
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

E. Blackadder
Apr 3rd, 2002, 04:49 PM
I think that they don't want to give there opponent a full score... But it's the same with Martina: If she loses she blames it on an injury.... Those world-class players just can't handle a loss against players who are outside the top20.

LucasArg
Apr 4th, 2002, 12:57 AM
Conchita:rolleyes:

I know you re 16, and this is your 17th post:rolleyes:

Cybelle Darkholme
Apr 4th, 2002, 01:01 AM
woohoo hater alert hater alert! lol threads like this are sooooo transparent. Its so obvious that miss conchita can't stand the sisters, too bad, maybe you're favorite will start to make some noise on court.

I can name a hundred names of players who have retired in matches. It happens. Injuries happen. If you can't understand that then something is truly wrong with you. Why not start watching checker matches or something?

Mikey
Apr 4th, 2002, 01:06 AM
what was the point of this thread exactly? uve covered about 4 yrs. and find 6 examples of retiring (two of which are withdrawls, so they dont count) and that that's all they do. i see you've made ur point clearly :rolleyes: :confused: :rolleyes:

this is such a ridiculous thread. im sitting at my computer laughing at the moment, if it makes u feel better. :p :D ;)

kazzmazz
Apr 4th, 2002, 02:54 AM
Why play if you are going to retire?????

Hmmm.....2 Wimbledons, 3 US Opens, and many other titles come to mind.

LOLOLOL!!!!! 4 retired matches in how many hundreds of games? for two players who have notoriously struggled with injuries is hardly a basis for your transparent accusations.

Vanity
Apr 4th, 2002, 02:59 AM
woohoo hater alert hater alert!

so what if he/she hates the williamses????? :rolleyes:

Jeff
Apr 4th, 2002, 08:07 AM
What a ridiculous thread!

Seriously! For one, it is very rare that one of the sisters lose to a player ranked outside top ten, and when they do it usually is because of an injury or an off day.

Also, you have found 3 occassions in the last 3 1/2 years for each player as an example of them pulling out of a match. That's not even a lot.

Just a ridiculous thread :rolleyes: